Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:48   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
The best possible route for you would be
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHAR-KALASA-KUDREMUKHA-
BAJAGOLI-KARKALA-MULKI-SURATHKAL
@sushrutha: Thanks a lot for the information.
I have done Kudremukh via this route before. What are the road conditions from there to Surathkal? How much would be the time taken?

Thanks,
NMA
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:51   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

guys, was there an accident on NH-48 after Sakleshpur ? Apparantly this accident is supposed to have affected fuel supplies to Bangalore.

p.s : if we are going to discuss fuel shortages, we have separate threads. Thanks.
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:00   #93
BHPian

The Shiradi ghats (I had named it as Charmadi by mistake in my earlier post) are wide enough with concrete stretches in between. Like LUKEYSKYWALKER mentioned, most of the places did not need up-shifting.

Would suggest a word of caution in the ghats, do not over speed as the car may slide a bit due to gravel/pebbles on the road. I did pretty good speed but the car held on to the road like she was in love with the road.
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:09   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
guys, was there an accident on NH-48 after Sakleshpur ? Apparantly this accident is supposed to have affected fuel supplies to Bangalore.

p.s : if we are going to discuss fuel shortages, we have separate threads. Thanks.
I travelled back from Udupi through Dharmasthala, Sakleshpur, and Hassan. I did notice considerable oil spill on the road but not sure if what I saw would have this much of an effect here.
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:51   #95
BHPian

I am planning to go to Mangalore in the first week of Aug 08.

If i take the charmadi route, which route (after i get down the charmadi ghat) is the ideal one to reach Mangalore?
Old 22nd July 2008, 16:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

After Charmadi, you travel following the signboard to Dharmasthala till you reach Ujire. At Ujire continue straight towards Belthangady and onwards towards Mangalore.
I'm not sure about the road condition from Belthangady to Mangalore.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:59   #97
BHPian

Hi guys, many be off-topic posting. Here's how our car looked like after it returned to M'lore, after a brief stay at B'lore
With 5 people on board the Indica, i can vouch for the quite motorable condition along the route, with no underbody rub against the road. The only incident was that of a stray cow in the Shiradi ghat stretch, suddenly making up its mind to cross the road, and my friend couldn't avoid but hit it insipte of jamming on the brakes. Both cow and car fine after the minor impact
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-copy-img_0293.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2008, 22:58   #98
BHPian

@kamath - good to know nothing happenned after the meeting with the cow .
The car I travelled in, had become almost brown.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:25   #99
BHPian

hi team,

Im planning to go to manipal from bangalore in the 2nd week of aug. which will the best route ? what would be the distance & time required?

thanks in advance
Old 30th July 2008, 16:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
hi team,

Im planning to go to manipal from bangalore in the 2nd week of aug. which will the best route ? what would be the distance & time required?

thanks in advance
I used this route and it will take you approximately 7 hrs of sedate driving.
his in my opinion is a very scenic route with less traffic as compared to the Shiradi ghat route.
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmady-Ujire-Belthangady-Karkala-Manipal
Total distance approx 440kms
Old 30th July 2008, 17:44   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I used this route and it will take you approximately 7 hrs of sedate driving.
his in my opinion is a very scenic route with less traffic as compared to the Shiradi ghat route.
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmady-Ujire-Belthangady-Karkala-Manipal
Total distance approx 440kms
this would be the best route as you can avoid the mine trucks on the sakleshpur stretch.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:54   #102
BHPian

Hows the Road till Uppinangadi from Bangalore?

Team, I need to travel to payyanur, Kerala next week. I am planning to take the Bangalore - Mangalore highway and take deviation at Uppinangadi (around 50km before Mangalore) to Puthur and then Kanjangad/Payyanur. Route is
Bangalore - CR Patna - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Uppinangadi - Puthur - Vittala - Cherukkala - Kanjangad - Payyanur. Can any body update the road condition atleast till Puthur? I will be travelling in night starting bangalore by 11pm in a Santro.

I remember travelling thru this route 2 years back and it was very good that time.

Thanks in advance
Rajesh
Old 1st August 2008, 17:16   #103
Senior - BHPian

Try this below route since many people are complaining about Shiradi ghat (heavy lorries in the night and bad ghat section which creates traffic jam).

Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sulya - From here either go to Puthur - vittala - Cherukkala - Kanjangad - Payyanur or from Sulia itself you can find good road if exists to Kerala.

I am feeling you should try this route bangalore - mysore - hunsur - gonikoppal - virajpet - Kannur - Payyanur ? not sure about virajpet - Kannur - Payyanur also safety at night.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 1st August 2008, 20:35   #104
BHPian

Thanks a lot Ravi for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sulya - From here either go to Puthur - vittala - Cherukkala - Kanjangad - Payyanur or from Sulia itself you can find good road if exists to Kerala.
The road from Kushalanagar to Madikeri is in a bad shape. If taking madikeri route, Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanjangad - Payyanur is shorter than Sulya route. I got information that these roads are not good at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I am feeling you should try this route bangalore - mysore - hunsur - gonikoppal - virajpet - Kannur - Payyanur ? not sure about virajpet - Kannur - Payyanur also safety at night.
Via gonikopal, we don't required to touch Virajpet. This is the shortest route with only 340km, but the problem is the Perumbadi - Makkutta sector is not at all driveable. 3 Months back I drove via this road, and took 2.30hrs to cover the 17kms stretch.

Considering the Shiradi Ghat condition and as you suggested I am avoiding Hasan route. So taking my usual route Mysore - Guldalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Manathawadi - Irritty - Payyanur which is 430Km.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 1st August 2008, 21:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

ok Thanks for clarifying with derails, issue with Shiradi ghat is its flooded with heavy trucks :( Next 2 years same thing will be continued i guess which is not good at all!

Lack understanding between political parties is the result of these bad highway status. I pray GOD when few people will learn from their mistake.

Ravi.

Most Viewed