Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 13:55   #121
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ravi and dont switch off your phone. I will call you if I need any help.

I wanted to see that infamous Railway Station in Shimoga( no clue about the name). Any idea how far it is from Jog?

Quote:
You can venture out onething: On day4 after wedding, plan to meet Samurai and stay nearby resort/hotel. Next day drive via Agumbe - Teerthahalli - Shimoga - Bangalore. You will love this!!
Why cant I do this route on my return ? Coz I will go to mangalore and on my return whats the route from mangalore to drive via Agumbe ?
Old 18th August 2008, 14:13   #122
Senior - BHPian

Guess the roads will never improve here, so have shifted from OHC to a Adventure

Riju, you can go via charmadi - Karkala - Udupi or if you want to connect to mangalore then you can connect to BC road from Ujre. this road is better....
Old 18th August 2008, 14:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I wanted to see that infamous Railway Station in Shimoga( no clue about the name). Any idea how far it is from Jog?
Riju, Are you talking of Talguppa railway station near Sagar and its famous Rail car?
Heard that it provides some amazing shot for the camera.

Abhi
Old 18th August 2008, 14:35   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Riju, Are you talking of Talguppa railway station near Sagar and its famous Rail car?
Heard that it provides some amazing shot for the camera.

Abhi
Yes Abhi same place. I have 4 days to relax and do nothing. So kinda scouting for places to visit during this drive.

Ravi any idea how far is this place from Jog/ Shimoga ?
Old 18th August 2008, 16:01   #125
Senior - BHPian

Work is going on to upgrade Shimoga - Sagar - Talguppa rail track. GOD knows when it will be completed. From last 4 years I saw work is still going on on and on.

About TaalGuppa Railway station its around 10km from Sagar, and 10km from there is JOG Falls. Rail track is surrounded by Paddy Fields and national highway also goes straight for 3km in Paddy Fields after crossing one huge scary curve and river/bridge. I think you are talking about place. I simply love that place everytime I travel.

Considerring its August end photo opportunity open from now.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 18th August 2008 at 16:03.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:11   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Quote:
You can venture out onething: On day4 after wedding, plan to meet Samurai and stay nearby resort/hotel. Next day drive via Agumbe - Teerthahalli - Shimoga - Bangalore. You will love this!!
Why cant I do this route on my return ? Coz I will go to mangalore and on my return whats the route from mangalore to drive via Agumbe ?
You can, it will be a little roundabout. You will have to come back to Udupi and then take Agumbe route.

How much time do you have after the function in Mangalore?
Old 18th August 2008, 16:56   #127
BHPian

Had a rocking ride on the Airavat over the weekend

What amuses me is the way the tarred surface vanishes from the road, like makeup from a movie actress'es face, after a face wash

Will it be a good idea if the miners dig their way beneath the earth, straight to NMPT?
Old 18th August 2008, 17:02   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How much time do you have after the function in Mangalore?
We have all the time Sharath, we shud be ideally starting our return journey pre lunch say before 2pm.
Old 18th August 2008, 17:05   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post

Will it be a good idea if the miners dig their way beneath the earth, straight to NMPT?

What you think they are doing now digging onlypotholes everywhere are proof for it hehhehe
Old 18th August 2008, 17:08   #130
Team-BHP Support

Mangalore-Manipal - 1.5H
Manipal-Agumbe-Shivmogga - 3H

Rest you should know.
Old 18th August 2008, 18:40   #131
Senior - BHPian

Riju If you take Manipal - Agumbe route I suggest you stay in the evening near Teerthahalli Vihangama Resort, you will love the place, more photo opportunity as well there.

Luke has recently visited there because I read his travelogue recently. Any one of us can get you their contact details for booking.

If you plan to drive via Teerthahalli - Shimoga make sure it didn't rain too much and national highway is closed by back water of Tunga reservoir. Near Shimoga (20km before Shimoga) check If car can go to Mandanagadde Bird Sanctury which is flooded by tunga river right now.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 18th August 2008 at 18:41. Reason: More Ideas ;)
Old 19th August 2008, 15:07   #132
BHPian

Hey,

The Mysore-Madikeri route is the best one as of now to visit Mangalore. Drove through this stretch twice last week. Bangalore to Kushalnagar is absolutely fabulous.However, be careful about the mud humps(BUMPS!!) or whatever they are called, erected by villagers on the Mysore-Kushalnagar stretch. I narrowly missed hiting a couple of them because they spring a surprise on you. Yes, you guessed right ...THEY ARE UNMARKED!!! One of the hints is when you see one of those yellow board like things that the cops use to create a roadblock with a STOP sign on them. Some good samaritan has thankfully placed these near these self erected humps , so you can save your suspension in the night!!
Kushalnagar-Madikeri is not great though driveable. The Sampaje ghats leading from Madikeri to Sullia is pretty good(Much better than Shiradi!!!).Thereafter, it is an ok road with nice stretches followed by a few metres of potholed stretches.
Alternatively, take the Charmadi ghats which is in much better shape than Shiradi albeit very narrow.Route would be Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujire-Belthangady-BC Road-Mangalore. However, Charmadi is prone to landslides whenever it rains heavily. I had to return through Madikeri as there was a landslide on Charamadi last week.It saves you around 30Km compared to the Madikeri stretch. Roads are pretty ok between Belthangady and BC Road, nothing extraordinary but manageable.
Old 19th August 2008, 15:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Taz, thanks for that info, planning to go to Mangalore this weekend, charmadi is shorted but as you mentioned its narrow. so little scary esp in the turnings if you come across big vehicles hehe
Old 19th August 2008, 17:14   #134
Senior - BHPian

Had been via Shiradi on 14th, it was raining throughout the day and made things worse on the pot-holed stretch starting at Sakleshpur all the way to Mangalore, took about 9.5 hours on this stretch in the rain.

I wonder how can a freshly laid road in May get eroded so fast in record time of 2 months, shame on the appaling quality of the work.

Coming back on the same road felt much better though because it was not raining thankfully.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:01   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Had been via Shiradi on 14th, it was raining throughout the day and made things worse on the pot-holed stretch starting at Sakleshpur all the way to Mangalore, took about 9.5 hours on this stretch in the rain.

I wonder how can a freshly laid road in May get eroded so fast in record time of 2 months, shame on the appaling quality of the work.

Coming back on the same road felt much better though because it was not raining thankfully.
But is the road motorable in a sedan? How big are the potholes? How many of them are there? Are they all over the place or just a few here and there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks