Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 17:29   #181
BHPian

Hi Lohith,

The condition of Charmadi is much better than the Shiradi ghats right now and so is the road from Ujire-BC Road unlike the potholed mess from Gundya-BC Road. There is not much of a difference in the total distance as well. Alternatively, if you plan to take the Kudremukh route, the total distance from Bangalore-Mangalore comes up to around 440 kms i.e 80 km extra. Except for a bad stretch of about 20 kms near Balehonnuru the roads are fabulous throughout. However, they are by no means high speed roads. The roads are full of curves and quite narrow, so they can bite a careless driver. But an average speed of 60-70kmph can be maintained. The route will be as follows Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala-Mudbidri-Mangalore.

Why don't you try the Madikeri route. The road is mind-blowing till Kushalnagar and not too bad after that either. The Sampaje ghat is also holding up well after the rains. Just a few bad patches before and after Sulya, Puttur otherwise very much doable in 6 hrs. Total distance is 395 kms if you take the following route. I personally did this last weekend and the drive was highly enjoyable even at night. The route is Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Elawala-Hunsur-Piriyapatna-Kushalanagar-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-BCRoad-Mangalore. At Srirangapatna on Mysore Road ask anyone for the shortcut to Hunsur. It is a right turn that leads to KRS Dam and Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. This saves you about 15 kms and also avoids the need to enter Mysore and its suburbs. it connects to the Hunsur Road at a place called Elawala.
Do watch out for unmarked mud humps on the Elawala-Kushalnagar stretch!!! Slow down if you see a road block placed on the road edge as this signifies the presence of these humps.
Old 30th September 2008, 09:22   #182
Senior - BHPian

I recently went till kushalnagar and no doubt the road is so great till there(watch out for the road humps made of mud, they are a nuisance though

though not as smooth as bangalore mysore road, but surely great to drive since its a double road

But I felt soon after kushalnagar, road vanished, didnt go much further

I really feel, if someone is going to Udupi/manipal it doesnt make sense to go to mangalore unless you want to waste minimum one hour extra (uppinangadi-BCRoad-Mangalore-suratkal) is a mess
Old 30th September 2008, 09:25   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Hi Lohith,

The condition of Charmadi is much better than the Shiradi ghats right now and so is the road from Ujire-BC Road unlike the potholed mess from Gundya-BC Road. There is not much of a difference in the total distance as well. Alternatively, if you plan to take the Kudremukh route, the total distance from Bangalore-Mangalore comes up to around 440 kms i.e 80 km extra. Except for a bad stretch of about 20 kms near Balehonnuru the roads are fabulous throughout. However, they are by no means high speed roads. The roads are full of curves and quite narrow, so they can bite a careless driver. But an average speed of 60-70kmph can be maintained. The route will be as follows Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala-Mudbidri-Mangalore.

Why don't you try the Madikeri route. The road is mind-blowing till Kushalnagar and not too bad after that either. The Sampaje ghat is also holding up well after the rains. Just a few bad patches before and after Sulya, Puttur otherwise very much doable in 6 hrs. Total distance is 395 kms if you take the following route. I personally did this last weekend and the drive was highly enjoyable even at night. The route is Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Elawala-Hunsur-Piriyapatna-Kushalanagar-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-BCRoad-Mangalore. At Srirangapatna on Mysore Road ask anyone for the shortcut to Hunsur. It is a right turn that leads to KRS Dam and Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. This saves you about 15 kms and also avoids the need to enter Mysore and its suburbs. it connects to the Hunsur Road at a place called Elawala.
Do watch out for unmarked mud humps on the Elawala-Kushalnagar stretch!!! Slow down if you see a road block placed on the road edge as this signifies the presence of these humps.
Hey Do you suggest taking Charmadi over shiradi? my plan is to go via shiradi but take diversion towards dharmastala since its known road for me(went 2 months back..not sure about the road conditions off late)

This way i thought i will avoid mangalore, but is shiradi so bad that one must avoid ? or is it only few KM of bad stretch
Old 30th September 2008, 11:37   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Lohith,

There is not much of a difference in the total distance as well. Alternatively, if you plan to take the Kudremukh route, the total distance from Bangalore-Mangalore comes up to around 440 kms i.e 80 km extra. Except for a bad stretch of about 20 kms near Balehonnuru the roads are fabulous throughout. . The route will be as follows Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala-Mudbidri-Mangalore.
Instead,
follow this route, It will drastically reduce the distance by 50kms atleast
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala-Mulki-Mangalore.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:50   #185
BHPian

Quote:

Why don't you try the Madikeri route. The road is mind-blowing till Kushalnagar and not too bad after that either. The Sampaje ghat is also holding up well after the rains. Just a few bad patches before and after Sulya, Puttur otherwise very much doable in 6 hrs. Total distance is 395 kms if you take the following route. I personally did this last weekend and the drive was highly enjoyable even at night. The route is Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Elawala-Hunsur-Piriyapatna-Kushalanagar-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-BCRoad-Mangalore.
I did travel on this road during OCT 07 and it was hell. Since Shiradi was closed, all vehicles were using the Charmadi & Sampaje Ghat roads. The sampaje ghat was full of potholes and in some stretches there was only mud and gravel. Have they just done patchwork repairs or they have relaid the roads? I plan to drive down from Bangalore to Mangalore in the first week of Oct 2008. Did you mean you covered Mangalore to Bangalore in 6 hours?
Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
Old 30th September 2008, 11:52   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Instead,
Hi Sushrutha, Any idea how much time this route may take. Even if it is approximate, will help in deciding whether to go via Sampaje or Kudremukh

Best Regards / Satish Prabhu
Old 30th September 2008, 12:43   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead,

This route was nice, but is narrow and winding roads..
esp Karkala to Mulki...
Old 30th September 2008, 14:34   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
This route was nice, but is narrow and winding roads..
esp Karkala to Mulki...
Hi Lohit, Can you throw some light on the approx time taken from Bangalore to Mangalore on this route?

Old 1st October 2008, 11:37   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Hi Sushrutha, Any idea how much time this route may take. Even if it is approximate, will help in deciding whether to go via Sampaje or Kudremukh

Best Regards / Satish Prabhu
Bangalore - Mudigere (approx 250 kms - 4.5hrs)
Mudigere - Kudremukha ( approx - 60 kms - 1.5hrs)
Kudremukha - Mulki approx 1.5hrs
Mulki -Surathkal-Mangalore -(25 kms ???) God knows about the road condition n how many hours may get wasted
Hope this helps

Else you can try this
Bangalore - Mudigere (250kms)
Mudigere - Kottigehara - Charmadi-Ujire-Belthangady-BC Road - Mangalore (120kms) -approx 3 hrs
Road condition is managable till BC road
Old 1st October 2008, 11:41   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mulki -Surathkal-Mangalore -(25 kms ???) God knows about the road condition n how many hours may get wasted
Hope this helps

Else you can try this
Mudigere - Kottigehara - Charmadi-Ujire-Belthangady-BC Road - Mangalore (120kms) -approx 3 hrs
Is charmadi open again ? i had heard about landslides and after that no news on this

Do you recommend shiradi-dharmastala-udupi route? i am concerned only about some 15 odd kms of shiradi which are bad(coupled with traffic)

I plan to start early morning(Tmrw) and cover shiradi by 9-10(may be to avoid traffic)

If charmadi is really recommended, i might have to change my plan now
Old 1st October 2008, 12:31   #191
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh, u can take Shiradi but the entire ghat section is in bad shape and from gondya till the Dharmasthala junction you will come across bad stretches....about 50-60kms of bad roads
Old 1st October 2008, 17:01   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Hope this helps
How about Kudremukha-Karkala-Moodabidiri-Mangalore? Karkala to Mangalore can be done within 1 1/2 hours. Not sure Kudremukha to Karkala?

Old 1st October 2008, 17:25   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hey Do you suggest taking Charmadi over shiradi? my plan is to go via shiradi but take diversion towards dharmastala since its known road for me(went 2 months back..not sure about the road conditions off late)

This way i thought i will avoid mangalore, but is shiradi so bad that one must avoid ? or is it only few KM of bad stretch
Hi Raj,

I do not recommend the Shiradi ghats unless you are really desperate to take that route. The road from Hassan to Sakaleshpur too has started breaking up. You can take a diversion from Hassan towards Belur and take the Charmadi ghats. You will not be disappointed if you don't expect magical roads. But, yes definitely much much better than Sakleshpur-Shiradi-Gundya.The route will be Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujire-Belthangady-Dharmasthala.

Regards,
Taz

Quote:
I did travel on this road during OCT 07 and it was hell. Since Shiradi was closed, all vehicles were using the Charmadi & Sampaje Ghat roads. The sampaje ghat was full of potholes and in some stretches there was only mud and gravel. Have they just done patchwork repairs or they have relaid the roads? I plan to drive down from Bangalore to Mangalore in the first week of Oct 2008. Did you mean you covered Mangalore to Bangalore in 6 hours?
Hi Prabhu,

They have done a lot of patchwork on this road and it is pretty good. Not too smooth but doesn't matter as long as there are less number of potholes. The traffic too is very less; no tankers, no huge trucks. I actually did Mangalore-Bangalore in 6hrs in my Swift on the 21st of September with one 15 min break at Kushalnagar. Left Mangalore at around 10PM and was at home in Frazer Town, Bangalore at 4:15 AM sharp.

Quote:
Hope this helps

Else you can try this
Kudremukha-Mulki approx 1.5hrs!!!! Christ!!! You must really have been flying. According to me takes not less than 2hr 15mins or if you are really fast 2hrs.
Mulki-Mangalore is hell!!!Add another 1 hour to your itinerary
Bangalore-Mudigere doable in 4.5hrs if you don't encounter a lot of traffic!!

Take this route during the day.It's highly scenic and enjoyable but a little eerie in the night especially near Kalasa-Kudremukha.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st October 2008 at 17:52.
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:22   #194
Senior - BHPian

Guess when i go next to Mangalore will try both of these routes.

Taz 6hrs is good
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:22   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of photos did not get uploaded previously.
Hi Prabhusthi,
I have clicked a very similar snap of Mountains near Gundia, as compared to urs.
check this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-photos-2.html

Most Viewed