Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 18:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chennai - Tirupati - Darshan- Chennai

My Mom and 2 others will be in Chennai in November for a few days. Out of these few days they have kept one full day for Tirupati Darshan and back to Chennai.

1. Is it possible to do the Darshan and be back in Chennai in one day?

2. What are the various possibilities available to them for travel. Taxi, Pvt Operator busses, Govt Operated buses. Do they also help in getting the darshan done?

3. Came to know of TTDC buses that charge Rs1200/- per person that include the transportation, Bfast, Lunch and Darshan. Is that the best?

4. How are the taxis? How much will they cost? Will they also help in getting the Darshan? What are the extra charges?

5. Any other mode?

Any information on this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dhiraj
Old 26th October 2010, 18:10   #2
BHPian

TTDC buses are your best option. There are a number of taxi tourist operators who run a package for Tirupati. They will just help you join in the right queue. You can find them around the TTD temple on Venkatnarayana Road.
Old 26th October 2010, 18:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go through the below given link

Chennai to Tirupati Balaji Tour Packages, Tirupati VIP Darshan Booking Bangalore, Mumbai Online

http://www.saroscorner.com/2010/03/t...it-may-be.html

Last edited by Surprise : 26th October 2010 at 18:40.
Old 26th October 2010, 18:33   #4
BHPian

There is a package tour run by APTDC from Chennai which includes darshan as well.
APTDC - ANDHRA PRADESH TOURISM DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION OFFICIAL WEBSITE: Destinations, Hyderabad, Tirupati, Visakhapatnam, Puttaparthi, Rajahmundry, Vijayawada, Warangal, Themes, Heritage, Nature, Wildlife, Religion, Beaches, Adventure, Fairs & Festi.

They can be contacted at
Information & Reservation Office, Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation, 31/14, Burkit Road, T Nagar, Chennai. Ph: (044) 65439987 Fax: (044) 24353373
Old 26th October 2010, 18:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dhiraj - Yes its very much possible to do a 24 hour round trip but the most convenient way to get troubled is start early & leave early policy. This is the least hassle free method.

Pls see my recent trip update - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2067459-post.html

Another option would be is to book through ITDC, Chennai. The office is located next compound to Ethiraj women's college on Commander-in-Chief road Egmore. They arrange a Volvo bus starting around 5 or 6 AM from Chennai & reach around 10:00 PM the same day inclusive of breakfast (at a very excellent hotel), lunch (also at an excellent hotel) & evening coffee break at TTDC.

I've used this service long back, in 2005 & would rate about 4/5 for their excellent service. However, the fallback is they do not operate on weekends.

Looks like their fares have dropped a bit as we paid Rs 1000 per head compared to Rs 900 now. Source - Welcome To TirupatiFirst Online Bus Tickets Booking Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
1. Is it possible to do the Darshan and be back in Chennai in one day?
Perfectly

Quote:
2. What are the various possibilities available to them for travel. Taxi, Pvt Operator busses, Govt Operated buses. Do they also help in getting the darshan done?
If they're new to city, best would be is visit through APSRTC at T.Nagar or ITDC or TTDC.

Quote:
3. Came to know of TTDC buses that charge Rs1200/- per person that include the transportation, Bfast, Lunch and Darshan. Is that the best?
Not sure on TTDC, ITDC & APSRTC does the same through Volvo. My experience posted above

Quote:
4. How are the taxis? How much will they cost? Will they also help in getting the Darshan? What are the extra charges?
Pls do not depend upon the taxi guys especially if they're new to city as they might swindle & trust me, its not that difficult these days.

Quote:
5. Any other mode?
May be some TBhpian can volunteer

Last edited by aargee : 26th October 2010 at 18:39.
Old 26th October 2010, 18:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dhiraj - I believe there is a concept of "Sheegra Darshan", Rs. 300 ticket charges per head. You reach the Tirumala hills, buy the ticket on the spot, have the darshan and come out. I remember reading a thread on this, but am not able to locate this now. That's another darshan option that you can explore.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
There is a package tour run by APTDC from Chennai which includes darshan as well.
APTDC - ANDHRA PRADESH TOURISM DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION OFFICIAL WEBSITE: Destinations, Hyderabad, Tirupati, Visakhapatnam, Puttaparthi, Rajahmundry, Vijayawada, Warangal, Themes, Heritage, Nature, Wildlife, Religion, Beaches, Adventure, Fairs & Festi.

They can be contacted at
Information & Reservation Office, Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation, 31/14, Burkit Road, T Nagar, Chennai. Ph: (044) 65439987 Fax: (044) 24353373
Thank You, this is indeed helpfull. Do you think it will be better to take APTDC whilst in Chennai or is it better to take TTDC? The prices for both look relatively the same but in APTDC it clearly mentions that "sheegra darshan" ticket included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Dhiraj - Yes its very much possible to do a 24 hour round trip but the most convenient way to get troubled is start early & leave early policy. This is the least hassle free method.

Pls see my recent trip update - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2067459-post.html
Thank you for the link. Yes they do plan to start early in the morning and return by late night

Quote:
Another option would be is to book through ITDC, Chennai. The office is located next compound to Ethiraj women's college on Commander-in-Chief road Egmore. They arrange a Volvo bus starting around 5 or 6 AM from Chennai & reach around 10:00 PM the same day inclusive of breakfast (at a very excellent hotel), lunch (also at an excellent hotel) & evening coffee break at TTDC.

I've used this service long back, in 2005 & would rate about 4/5 for their excellent service. However, the fallback is they do not operate on weekends.

Looks like their fares have dropped a bit as we paid Rs 1000 per head compared to Rs 900 now. Source - Welcome To TirupatiFirst Online Bus Tickets Booking Service
No its a Tuesday.

I was going through the website, it doesnt mention anywhere that the darshan tickets are included. Do you think they are? Also is there a guide with the group that helps the group in deciding which line to join and with all the other confusing stuff?

Quote:
If they're new to city, best would be is visit through APSRTC at T.Nagar or ITDC or TTDC.

Not sure on TTDC, ITDC & APSRTC does the same through Volvo. My experience posted above
So as suggested earlier, you also feel APSRTC/APTDC will be better than TTDC? Why I ask is because I am surprised to see that TamilNaidu allows Volvo AP buses to ply on such a lucrative route. Or is it because Tirumala falls in AP hence the concession??

Quote:
Pls do not depend upon the taxi guys especially if they're new to city as they might swindle & trust me, its not that difficult these days.
Yeah I was thinking on the same lines, but do you think if they take a taxi from a reputed travel agent, reach Tirumala and take a "sheegra Darshan" ticket on the spot (as mentioned below), will it be then more comfortable that a conducted govt tour? Or do you still feel APTDC/TTDC/ITDC conducted tours are much more convenient?

Quote:
May be some TBhpian can volunteer
HaHa, Thanks, just guidance will be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Dhiraj - I believe there is a concept of "Sheegra Darshan", Rs. 300 ticket charges per head. You reach the Tirumala hills, buy the ticket on the spot, have the darshan and come out. I remember reading a thread on this, but am not able to locate this now. That's another darshan option that you can explore.
Is the "Sheegra Darshan Rs 300/- Ticket" easy to buy on the spot? or is there a long que/wait for that too?

Now the question is, not taking the cost into consideration:- "Sheegra Darshan" + travel by independent taxi is more convenient or a full conducted tour (all inclusive) via TTDC/ITDC/APTDC is more convenient?

EDIT: Also if they decide to go with a conducted bus tour, is it ok if they buy the ticket on the spot or is it advisable to book tickets much in advance?

Regards

Last edited by deky : 27th October 2010 at 12:34.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think it will be better to take APTDC whilst in Chennai or is it better to take TTDC?
Both are almost the same, however, APSRTC is better preffered, atleast that is what I've been told for priority reasons long back. But now I guess its all the same.

Quote:
The prices for both look relatively the same but in APTDC it clearly mentions that "sheegra darshan" ticket included.
Update - Just called up :::TTDC Online::: & the price for Volvo A/C is 1330 & non A/C is Rs 1135 inclusive of breakfast & lunch; depart time is 6:00 AM & return to Chennai will be 11:30 PM. Both the prices are inclusive of Seegradarshan ticket. So I assume here that these guys have quota. Oh!!! the visit will not be restricted to Tirupati alone, it will be for Tiruchanoor & one more temple which I don't recall now.

Quote:
Also is there a guide with the group that helps the group in deciding which line to join and with all the other confusing stuff?
Yes, last time when we went via ITDC there was a guide & I believe there will be one for every bus otherwise there will not be any coordination.

Quote:
Or is it because Tirumala falls in AP hence the concession??
This is what I've been told long back, but now I feel its all the same.

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking on the same lines, but do you think if they take a taxi from a reputed travel agent, reach Tirumala and take a "sheegra Darshan" ticket on the spot (as mentioned below), will it be then more comfortable that a conducted govt tour? Or do you still feel APTDC/TTDC/ITDC conducted tours are much more convenient?
Well, IMO, get to Tirupati by some means & take the APSRTC Govt bus from the Tirupati bus stand. Costs Rs 30 one way & Rs 54 with return (Rs 6 discount ). That's the best thing.

Quote:
Is the "Sheegra Darshan Rs 300/- Ticket" easy to buy on the spot? or is there a long que/wait for that too?
There will be a long queue; you might have to digest the fact that there're atleast 50000 devotees visiting Tirumala every single day & the temple is closed only for about 2-3 hours. So, you join at the end of the queue & keep moving & somewhere in between there's a booth for buying tickets. (Pls see my earlier post where I've provided details on this more elaborately). But remember, if you decide to turn back, its extremely difficult to walk out of queue.

Quote:
Now the question is, not taking the cost into consideration:- "Sheegra Darshan" + travel by independent taxi is more convenient or a full conducted tour (all inclusive) via TTDC/ITDC/APTDC is more convenient?
Obviously, private travel is more comfortable than Volvo, atleast to me. Everything is at your call & you can choose or dispose anything to visit/cancel.

Quote:
EDIT: Also if they decide to go with a conducted bus tour, is it ok if they buy the ticket on the spot or is it advisable to book tickets much in advance?
Now days no one can buy tickets in advance for anyone, let me explain why...
1. You can book tickets through TTDC counters (T.Nagar) but you need to give thumb impression & photo
2. Seegradarshan tickets can be bought only when a person joins the queue, which means, you get the ticket only when you want darshan.
3. You can book tickets at Srinivasam complex (at the foothills of Tirumala) again with photo identification

These are introduced to control the tickets being sold in black market.
Regarding onlines - I don't know

Last edited by aargee : 27th October 2010 at 13:11.
Old 26th February 2011, 18:51   #9
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Tirupati - Darshan- Chennai

Hi There,

We are planing for a trip to Tirupati from Chennai (Madipakkam) on the week of 7th March 2011 . The plan is to hire a innova to travel to tirupati and return back the subsequent day. We have my couple of seniors who have difficultly in walking long distances and climbing steps.

1. What would be the best route to take (less potholes, traffic)
2. What would be the right place to take a pit stop.
3. Any "reccomended" vehicle providers? and things to watch out for while hiring a vehicle in chennai.

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:33   #10
BHPian

No one travelling to tirupati these days? Would really appreciate a response on points 1 & 2.
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Hi There,

We are planing for a trip to Tirupati from Chennai (Madipakkam) on the week of 7th March 2011 . The plan is to hire a innova to travel to tirupati and return back the subsequent day. We have my couple of seniors who have difficultly in walking long distances and climbing steps.

1. What would be the best route to take (less potholes, traffic)
2. What would be the right place to take a pit stop.
3. Any "reccomended" vehicle providers? and things to watch out for while hiring a vehicle in chennai.

Thanks.
The best route in my opinion is the TADA - Kalahasti - Tirupati. The route till TADA is 4 laned; TADA - Kalahasti is 2 laned but traffic is sparse and good roads from Kalahasti - Tirupati.

I normally have a pit stop at Tirupati; have a cup of tea, roll down the windows and then start the ascend to the hills. There are also some decent hotels in Kalahasti if you feel you can't stop till Tirupati.
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Thanks. That is good info. I thought most folks go via Tiruttani (NH205).
This seems to be much better option via the 4L.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:32   #13
BHPian

thanks crossroads,amp. One question though what is 4L?

Based on the posts here there seem to be three routes, including the one suggested by crossroads
1. Tada - kalahasti - tirupati. By the way does TADA stand for something. is it in the vicinity of sricity (googlemaps doesnt identify it as tada )
2. NH 205 - Tiruvallur - tiruthani - puttur - trirupati
3. The route less traversed Periya palayam - uttukottai - puttur - tirupati

Seems like either 1 or 2 can serve my needs.

From AP road/entry tax perspective there seems to be huge amount of wanton confusion. Any ideas, want to try and avoid getting fleeced.
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
thanks crossroads,amp. One question though what is 4L?

Based on the posts here there seem to be three routes, including the one suggested by crossroads
1. Tada - kalahasti - tirupati. By the way does TADA stand for something. is it in the vicinity of sricity (googlemaps doesnt identify it as tada )
2. NH 205 - Tiruvallur - tiruthani - puttur - trirupati
3. The route less traversed Periya palayam - uttukottai - puttur - tirupati

Seems like either 1 or 2 can serve my needs.

From AP road/entry tax perspective there seems to be huge amount of wanton confusion. Any ideas, want to try and avoid getting fleeced.

- 4L : 4 Lane. !
- I guess that should answer your second question. If you get good 4-laned roads, you should take that compared to Nh205. But I guess folks from Chennai who frequent this section, would be in better position to comment.
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:36   #15
BHPian

There a quite a few operators from Nanganallur/Madipakkam area. You can try with Ravi Brothers, Nanganallur who are a fairly big travel operator.

Regarding the route, normally people prefer Tirutanni route but some one who had travelled recently on the Tada - Kalahasti stretch can provide info on that stretch.

Senior citizens need not stand in the queue but can directly enter the temple. Check with the staff there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks