Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Perambalur - Thuraiyur - Musiri is a decent 2 lane state highway which is in reasonable shape always. Though you still have to do about 45 kms from Kulithalai to Karur on NH67 which is bad, so unless and until you want a change of scenery I think you would not be better off doing this route, you would still do about 40 kms of very bad roads.
Old 18th November 2010, 20:56   #17
NFS
BHPian

Going to Drive from Chennai to Salem on this weekend 21-Nov. Thanks for this thread, I was about to choose Villupuram Ullundurpettai route. Now planning to take Tambaram - Sri-perumpudur - Kanchipuram - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem route. Will update the experience.
Old 24th November 2010, 17:01   #18
NFS
BHPian

Update: Tambaram - Sriperumpudur route was quite confusing, as we took the route map from Google Maps - On Route, we deviated a little bit towards padappai and then rejoined to Manimangalam. From Manimangalam to Sriperumpudur the road was nealy NON-existent. Had to drive on <20kmph speed with pot holes all over the road. At times we had to stop and finalize how to approach the road ahead. Ate our 1 hour negotiating this route.

On our return from Salem we continued on NH4 till Poonamalee bus stand and took the road towards Nandambakkam - Guindy and to Tambaram.

Little about the drive: onward journey was with heavy rains and we were not able to go beyond 80kmph and it took 8+hrs and return was with 6hrs including 4 short tea breaks (each of 10-15 mins).
Old 28th November 2010, 12:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi NFS, I also agree the Tambaram Sriperumpudur is a tricky road.. In fact even I took it once and suffered.

But there is also another alternative, going thro the Kishkintha road via. Sairam college, Somamangalam and then to Sriperumpudur, this is not fully good.

But based on my calculations, going thro this route saves me more than 20 odd kms and is quicker compared to taking by-pass and catching NH4
Old 8th December 2010, 09:42   #20

Re: Better Route - Chennai 2 Coimbatore via GST road or NH 4 ??

Hi all,

Greetings to all BHPians. This is my first post since I joined this forum.

I have to travel to coimbatore from near Tambaram on Saturday (returning sometime on Sunday). There are no tickets on the train and I can't hire a cab (as one of the passengers has travel sickness.....needs a smooth drive). Now, coming to the point....the journey will be in my new NANO (going for first service on this Friday :-)

I originally bought this car primarily for chennai use only and for very short trips. So, my questions are:

1) What would be the precautions if I have to do it with the NANO. I did a short trip to Tiruttani two days ago and it came out pretty well.
2) I am planning to take the Chennai - Krishnagiri - salem - coimbatore route (both ways). Since NANO has a puny tank capacity, I need help with places to fill up (due to Q & Q concerns) and joints where I could take breaks for food and rest (think NANO might need it more than us :-)
3) During the running in period, I have been able to do 70 comfortably and on this trip too, I don't plan to push it much more (maybe 80 max). Would it be too boring then...given the distance.
4) Any other suggestions/tips.

Thank you in advance. I will post my experience with the NANO (with pics) shortly in the appropriate forum (once I complete this trip too).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks