Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 12:40   #1
BHPian

Better Route - Chennai 2 Coimbatore via GST road or NH 4 ??

Hi
I usually do this route via Sri-perumpudur - Kanchipuram-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri - Salem- Coimbatore.

I wanted to try out the GST road route to Salem & then onwards to Coimbatore.

(1) Can anyone provide me the road condition on this route ?
(2) Is it better in terms of the Krishnagiri route in terms of travel time. I live in Porur; I should be able to enter the Tambaram Bypass rd. near Ramachandra College and by pass Chennai city traffic.
(3) Where on GST rd do I turn off for Salem?

Appretiate the help.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

From my understanding on this thread, CBE is better preffered via Sri-perumpudur - Kanchipuram-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri - Salem- Coimbatore route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
(2) Is it better in terms of the Krishnagiri route in terms of travel time. I live in Porur; I should be able to enter the Tambaram Bypass rd. near Ramachandra College and by pass Chennai city traffic.
Yes, you need to take right towards Chennai-Bye pass before Ramachandran Medical College & take the bye-pass & DO NOT take the bridge at Maduravoyal & instead take the left most one that goes down towards NH4.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

NH68 is not all that great compared to the beautiful 4L you get all the way.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:30   #4
BHPian

No Dont

I drove on the Salem - Attur strech last week. The roads are pathetic. My guess is that since they are doing the 4 laning, the roads would be poor till Ulundurpet. Roads from Ulundurpet to Chennai are good.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrajdr View Post
I drove on the Salem - Attur strech last week. The roads are pathetic. My guess is that since they are doing the 4 laning, the roads would be poor till Ulundurpet. Roads from Ulundurpet to Chennai are good.
I had this doubt if they were realing 4Laning this stretch!

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Salem News : Works on NH 68 resume

But then this post was on Sep 2009! Not sure what the status is today.
Old 30th October 2010, 01:23   #6
BHPian

@maheshmenon

Ulundurpet to Salem is really bad! But why would you want to try this especially when you are in Porur and have easy access to the NH4? I would guess a change of route maybe!?

I took this route from Erode to Chennai last week for the only reason that my destination in Chennai was Thuraipakkam and I can save a lot of time by-passing Chennai if I had to take the NH4. But I regretted it big time and did the NH4 on my way back.

@ampere

Yeah 4 Laning is in progress but only in bits and pieces. I saw a lot of stretches being left out, probably because of land acquisition issues.
Old 30th October 2010, 16:02   #7
BHPian

What about Chennai-Trichy-CBE? How is NH67? 4 laned? I am bored with the usual route.
Old 30th October 2010, 16:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
What about Chennai-Trichy-CBE? How is NH67? 4 laned? I am bored with the usual route.
this is a very big circuitous route and chennai-trichy is fully four laned. in trichy-karur stretch 4L work is progressing and is filled with potholes and karur-coimbatore is good.
Old 30th October 2010, 20:24   #9
BHPian

Who said its circuitous? "Very big" at that? Its 3 km lesser via Trichy I can avoid the bad Avinashi if Karur-CBE is 4L. Is it 4L? And Trichy-Karur is 70-80 km. Is it manageable?
Old 30th October 2010, 21:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Who said its circuitous? "Very big" at that? Its 3 km lesser via Trichy I can avoid the bad Avinashi if Karur-CBE is 4L. Is it 4L? And Trichy-Karur is 70-80 km. Is it manageable?
karur-cbe is actually 2 lane with paved shoulder. and roughly 30kms in that section is fully four laned with median. the section is easily doable in 2-2.30 hrs by car. trichy-karur section is in a very bad shape right now owing to 4laning work. better to avoid this stretch. and yes chennai-krishnagiri-dharmapuri-salem-cbe and chennai-villupram-trichy-karur-cbe both roughly come to the same distance but the latter route takes more time to cover primarily due to trichy-karur part. better stick to the 1st option.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@maheshmenon

Ulundurpet to Salem is really bad! But why would you want to try this especially when you are in Porur and have easy access to the NH4? I would guess a change of route maybe!?
Actually yes I thought that a change of scenery would be good!!! I do the Chennai - Bangalore about once in 2 weeks; so upto K'giri it feels a little monotonous.

So the first option it is. Thanks guys appretiate your help

Cheers
Old 2nd November 2010, 00:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Actually yes I thought that a change of scenery would be good!!! I do the Chennai - Bangalore about once in 2 weeks; so upto K'giri it feels a little monotonous.

So the first option it is. Thanks guys appretiate your help

Cheers
I totally can relate! In that case, go ahead and give it a try once, nothing wrong in doing a little crazy thing once in a while, after all we just have to feed our minds when they demand some difference!
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ jeev You don't need to go upto Trichy all the way to go to Karur. Go upto Perambalur, get inside the town ask anyone for the way to Thuraiyur, from Thuraiyur continue onwards to Musiri. At Musiri cross the River Cauvery to join NH67. This is not only shorter you would also have less distance to drive on the very bad Trichy - Karur stretch.
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:52   #14
BHPian

Got it, pypkmsrikanth. Do less of bad road, either way its bad. But how is Perambalur-Musiri? How is the stretch and when did you do it? Any recent updates? Globally, do you suggest I go this way to CBE? Trying to avoid bad 40 km of last stretch into CBE on the NH47.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

I did Trichy-Karur-CBE route two months back while returning from Velankanni.
Trichy-Karur was very very bad and could see only few cars doing that stretch.

Last edited by coolclouds : 2nd November 2010 at 15:25.

Most Viewed