Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:36   #16
BHPian

Suggestions for Pit Stops

Now that the route is more or less finalized, would appreciate suggestions for Pit Stops on the follwoing routes.

Drive to Kodai on Nov 5th is via NH7 (i.e. Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Dindugul - Vathalagundu - Kodai).

Kodai - Seerkazhi on Nov 7th
Kodai-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore-Mayavaram-Seerkazi

Seerkazhi to Bangalore on Nov 8th
Seerkazhi - Chidambaram - Neyveli - Panruti - Tirukkoyilur - Tiruvanamalai(NH66) - Krishnagiri - Bangalore

Thanks
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:19   #17
Team-BHP Support

If you start early say 3-4 AM, you would in time for BF at Thoppur A2B.
(Please note this will be on the right side and comes about 2-3 Km before Mettur turning.) Since there are no reminders, you can easily miss this.

You can be in time at Kodai for lunch. Breaking at Krishnagiri one generally looses time.

Kodai-Seerkazhi : As some one mentioned there is a hotel at Trichy By-pass (I think it was Meenakshi Bhavan).

Seerkazhi -BLR : You can break for lunch/BF at Arunai Anantha resort at TV Malai (On the NH66) and/OR A2B at Krishnagiri.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2010 at 15:27.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start early say 3-4 AM, you would in time for BF at Thoppur A2B.
(Please note this will be on the right side and comes about 2-3 Km before Mettur turning.) Since there are no reminders, you can easily miss this.

You can be in time at Kodai for lunch. Breaking at Krishnagiri one generally looses time.

Kodai-Seerkazhi : As some one mentioned there is a hotel at Trichy By-pass (I think it was Meenakshi Bhavan).

I plan to start from Kodai after breakfast at the resort, so lunch would be enroute.

Seerkazhi -BLR : You can break for lunch/BF at Arunai Anantha resort at TV Malai (On the NH66) and/OR A2B at Krishnagiri.
Im planning to start by 5-5.30 am (not easy to start early with a 2 year old kid), do u think i should be in time at Thoppur for breakfast.

Any suggestions near Dindugal just in case I cant make it to Kodai for lunch

At Seerkazhi we are attending a marriage, so will start after morning breakfast around 9am, again lunch would be enroute

PS: My wife and parents are vegetarians

Suggestions are welcome
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottoman View Post
Im planning to start by 5-5.30 am (not easy to start early with a 2 year old kid), do u think i should be in time at Thoppur for breakfast.

Any suggestions near Dindugal just in case I cant make it to Kodai for lunch

At Seerkazhi we are attending a marriage, so will start after morning breakfast around 9am, again lunch would be enroute

PS: My wife and parents are vegetarians

Suggestions are welcome
Yes I think leaving that early, you'll beat traffic and reach Thoppur in 2-2.30hrs driving at comfortable speeds.

Like I've mentioned in another thread, Dindigul is actually famous for its mutton biriyanis. There arent any prominent veg hotels AFAIK. I think the best to do will be to have a heavy breakfast at Thoppur A2B and push to Kodai for lunch.

There is a Jain eatery on the 7 road junction which serves freshly made delicious food. (My personal recommendations - Ghee rotis, All panneer subjis, bhindi fry, Lassi)

TVMalai would be your best option for lunch on return as ampere suggested.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Location of Arunai Anantha

arunai anantha - Google Maps

Hotel Portal

Arunai Anantha Resort Hotel

Food was decent when I had and its location being bang on NH66 really helps.

Another thing would be keep lots of Bisleri bottles where ever you find.
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Yes I think leaving that early, you'll beat traffic and reach Thoppur in 2-2.30hrs driving at comfortable speeds.

Like I've mentioned in another thread, Dindigul is actually famous for its mutton biriyanis. There arent any prominent veg hotels AFAIK. I think the best to do will be to have a heavy breakfast at Thoppur A2B and push to Kodai for lunch.

There is a Jain eatery on the 7 road junction which serves freshly made delicious food. (My personal recommendations - Ghee rotis, All panneer subjis, bhindi fry, Lassi)

TVMalai would be your best option for lunch on return as ampere suggested.
Quote:
Location of Arunai Anantha

arunai anantha - Google Maps

Hotel Portal

Arunai Anantha Resort Hotel

Food was decent when I had and its location being bang on NH66 really helps.

Another thing would be keep lots of Bisleri bottles where ever you find.

@ampere & luvurride: Thanks for your suggestions, any suggestions of decent hotels / restaurants for lunch on Kodai-Seerkazhi route, probably around Tanjavur, Mayavaram.

EDIT: @ ampere: Sorry I missed ur earlier post, you have already suggested a restaurant on Kodai-Seerkazhi route.

Last edited by lottoman : 3rd November 2010 at 01:23.
Old 3rd November 2010, 06:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

I remember having lunch at a hotel in Tanjore. It was decent.

But then for that we had to go into the city (We had some work anyway).
But I am not sure of any on the Tanjore and Kumbakonam by-pass.
Similarly not sure about Mayavaram also.

Maybe others can help.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I remember having lunch at a hotel in Tanjore. It was decent.

But then for that we had to go into the city (We had some work anyway).
But I am not sure of any on the Tanjore and Kumbakonam by-pass.
Similarly not sure about Mayavaram also.

Maybe others can help.
Tanjore- Hotel Gnanam is good (opposite to Old bus stand), but then you have to get into city. There are also some hotels near new bus stand which will be easy enroute.

Kumbakonam-
1.Paradise ResortKumbakonam Hotels near navagraha temples tamilnadu india, tanjore luxury Hotels in tamilnadu india, heritage resorts near kumbakonam tamilnadu in india, cultural resorts near tanjore kumbakonam tamilnadu india, tamilnadu india accomodation in resorts
which is on the Tanjore-Kumbakonam highway near Dharasuram, some 10kms before kumbakonam. When I visited last early this year, GRT had taken up operations and was on the pricier side.
2. Hotel Le Garden on the Mayavaram road on the outskirts, so even if you take Kumbakonam by-pass, you can come back just about a km to this.
Welcome to Hotel LeGarden Kumbakonam - The first Three star hotel in Kumbakonam.
3. Hotel Rayas inside town
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:46   #24
Team-BHP Support

Then looks like Kumbakonam seems to a better place for a break than Tanjore, with so many good places on the main road and no need to detour.
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Tanjore- Hotel Gnanam is good (opposite to Old bus stand), but then you have to get into city. There are also some hotels near new bus stand which will be easy enroute.

Kumbakonam-
1.Paradise ResortKumbakonam Hotels near navagraha temples tamilnadu india, tanjore luxury Hotels in tamilnadu india, heritage resorts near kumbakonam tamilnadu in india, cultural resorts near tanjore kumbakonam tamilnadu india, tamilnadu india accomodation in resorts
which is on the Tanjore-Kumbakonam highway near Dharasuram, some 10kms before kumbakonam. When I visited last early this year, GRT had taken up operations and was on the pricier side.
2. Hotel Le Garden on the Mayavaram road on the outskirts, so even if you take Kumbakonam by-pass, you can come back just about a km to this.
Welcome to Hotel LeGarden Kumbakonam - The first Three star hotel in Kumbakonam.
3. Hotel Rayas inside town
@ luvurride:Thanks, I guess I will have to break for lunch depending the distance I can clock from Kodai. I hope to break for lunch @ Kumbakonam. Guys a small hiccup, my 2 year old son's car seat has become unusable and I'm very nervous and uncomfortable making my son sit on my wife's lap. Any suggestions please
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottoman View Post
@ luvurride:Thanks, I guess I will have to break for lunch depending the distance I can clock from Kodai. I hope to break for lunch @ Kumbakonam. Guys a small hiccup, my 2 year old son's car seat has become unusable and I'm very nervous and uncomfortable making my son sit on my wife's lap. Any suggestions please
Dont worry, even I was forced to do the same owing to space constraints in the car once. Make sure he always sits at the back and someone keeps hold on him. Drive peacefully at moderate speeds avoiding any sudden braking or maneuvering. You'll do just fine.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:46   #27
BHPian

car booster seat for my 2 year old son

@ luvurride: That seems to be the last option and I'm very nervous and uncomfortable doing that.

@ Everybody

Can i make him sit on two pillows and fasten the lap belt, is it an advisable option?
Else can some good Samaritan lend me booster seat for a couple days.
Old 4th November 2010, 12:33   #28
BHPian

last minute questions

All set to start tomorrow at 5.30 to Kodai from Banaglore, I ust have a couple of last minute questions.
Considering I'm going to driving on Diwali, which routes would have less traffic.
Blore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Bhavani-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai
or
Blore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Dindigul-Vathalagundu-Kodai

Your inputs please
Old 13th December 2010, 12:09   #29

Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Seerkazhi - Bangalore

Hi Lottoman,
Hope you had a good trip. Could you please update on the road condition between Seerkazhi and Krishnagiri. I am planning to drive down this route in the last week of December.

Thanks

Most Viewed