Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Seerkazhi - Bangalore

Hi, Im planning to drive to Kodaikanal - Seerkazhi - Bangalore on the Diwali weekend (Nov 5,6,7 and 8) in my new Innova. Itinerary is as follows: 5th Nov - 6am approx (Starting time) Bangalore to Kodaikanal. Based on my search and the posts in the forum, I gather that the best route to drive to Kodai is via NH7 (i.e. Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Dindugul - Vathalagundu - Kodai). 7th Nov - 12.00pm approx Kodaikanal to Seerkazhi. 8th around 12.00pm I plan to start from Seerkazhi and drive back to Bangalore. I require help in choosing the best route from Kodaikanal - Seerkazhi - Bangalore. Advice / Suggestions are welcome. Mods:- Please move / merge this post to the appropriate thread if needed. Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by lottoman : 28th October 2010 at 15:29.
Old 28th October 2010, 15:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Kodai-Seerkazhi :

(Kodai-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore-Mayavaram-Seerkazi) : ~ 350Km

Kodai-Vatlagundu-Dindigul-Trichy : NH45 (Brilliant condition)
Trichy-Tanjore : NH67 (Quite crowded and bad, but you have to bear this for about 50 Km)

Tanjore-Kumbakonam : NH45C (Good 2L)
Kumbakonam-Mayavaram (Mayiladuthurai) - Seerkazi (SH. Good condition).

Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu to Sirkazhi, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Seerkazi - BLR : (Seerkazi -Chidambaram-Panruti-Thirukkoyilur-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri-BLR)

Seerkazi -Chidambaram-Panrut : Geting on 4L NH45 at Bhuvanagiri and Panruti.

At Panruti take the the SH to TV Malai (Good conditioned SH). Some issue with getting into TV Malai.

From TVMalalai its the standard Pondycherry/BLR route. NH66/NH7 via Krishnagiri.

Route:

Sirkazhi, Tamil Nadu to Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 - Google Maps
Old 28th October 2010, 16:00   #3
BHPian

@ ampere: Appreciate your quick revert. Based on google maps I also got another route from Trichy - Lalgudi - Thiruvaiyaru - Kumbakkonam - Mayiladuthurai - Seekazhi any idea on how the road is on this route. As u have mentioned ,I too read some where on the forum that the road from Panruti ti TV Malai is not good. Again based on google maps can you throw some light on this route. Seerkazhi - Bhuvanagiri - Veppur - Attur - Salem - Bangalore

Last edited by lottoman : 28th October 2010 at 16:07.
Old 28th October 2010, 17:30   #4
BHPian

i have an update to make in trichy-tanjore section. the section is now almost complete and travel is fully on new roads. 2 road over bridge construction is starting just now at thiruverumbur and kaatur in trichy, while the existing bridge is in perfect condition. barring those 2 sections which are 2 lanes remaining part is now fully four laned through there are diversion at one or two places as of now.
Old 28th October 2010, 18:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottoman View Post
@ ampere: Appreciate your quick revert. Based on google maps I also got another route from Trichy - Lalgudi - Thiruvaiyaru - Kumbakkonam - Mayiladuthurai - Seekazhi any idea on how the road is on this route. As u have mentioned ,I too read some where on the forum that the road from Panruti ti TV Malai is not good. Again based on google maps can you throw some light on this route. Seerkazhi - Bhuvanagiri - Veppur - Attur - Salem - Bangalore
Even I saw that, but have no idea about Tanjore by-pass via SH22 (as per GM). Look at this thread. Folks mentioned a lot about that region.
May be some one can throw light on this by-pass.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-district.html

If you see although it looks a shorter route, it hardly reduces the distance by 5-10Km as per GM.

Attur seems to be a good option (50Km more), but I am not sure of the road conditions till Salem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leylander View Post
i have an update to make in trichy-tanjore section. the section is now almost complete and travel is fully on new roads. 2 road over bridge construction is starting just now at thiruverumbur and kaatur in trichy, while the existing bridge is in perfect condition. barring those 2 sections which are 2 lanes remaining part is now fully four laned through there are diversion at one or two places as of now.
Great to hear that. Now all one needs is to know about correct by-pass at Trichy!

Last edited by ampere : 28th October 2010 at 18:28.
Old 28th October 2010, 21:55   #6
BHPian

@ ampere: I intend to drive via the route you had suggested i.e Kodai-Vatlagundu-Dindigul-Trichy : NH45 (Brilliant condition) Trichy-Tanjore : NH67 (Quite crowded and bad, but you have to bear this for about 50 Km) Tanjore-Kumbakonam : NH45C (Good 2L) Kumbakonam-Mayavaram (Mayiladuthurai) - Seerkazi (SH. Good condition). Although the only place where I'm a little apprehensive are the crossover from NH45 to NH67 at Trichy outskirts because I dont want to get bogged down in Trichy sun urban traffic. @ Ampere, Leylander: Are aware if NH45 will by pass Tanjavur town. Regards Lottoman
Old 29th October 2010, 05:52   #7
Team-BHP Support

There is a by-pass. (Called the Chennai By pass)

Old NH 45 to National Highway 67/Tiruchy-Thanjaur/NH 67 - Google Maps

Tanjore crossing is outside Trichy where NH67 cuts NH45.
Old 29th October 2010, 07:57   #8
BHPian

@ ampere: Thanks, I saw this route on GM. From Seerkazhi to Bangalore I would like to recent updates on road conditions on the following routes. a. Seerkazhi - Chidambaram - Vriddhachalam - Veppur - Attur - Salem - Bangalore b. Seerkazhi - Chidambaram - Neyveli - Panruti - Tirukkoyilur - Tiruvanamalai(NH66) - Krishnagiri - Bangalore Im inclined towards the Veppur-Attur-Salem route, would appreciate any recent updates on this route. Thanks
Old 29th October 2010, 09:55   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottoman View Post
@ ampere: Thanks, I saw this route on GM. From Seerkazhi to Bangalore I would like to recent updates on road conditions on the following routes. a. Seerkazhi - Chidambaram - Vriddhachalam - Veppur - Attur - Salem - Bangalore b. Seerkazhi - Chidambaram - Neyveli - Panruti - Tirukkoyilur - Tiruvanamalai(NH66) - Krishnagiri - Bangalore Im inclined towards the Veppur-Attur-Salem route, would appreciate any recent updates on this route. Thanks
On the second route : NH66 is not great. Quite many potholes.
Route till TVMalai is good SH from Panruti. Positives: You get to visit Arunachaleshwar temple at TVMalai.

TVMalai-Krishnagiri you will have to get through NH66. Also till Krishnagiri you wont find many toilets/break-points once you cross TVMalai.

Better to do it during day time. Not sure about the Salem-Veppur stretch.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Salem - Athur stretch is not in great condition, I think somebody had posted in the forum a couple of days back about taking an hour and a half for about 50 kms. So I suggest in case you are looking at coming via Veppur the better option is to continue onwards to Perambalur. It is 4 lane from Veppur to Perambalur. You would have to get into Perambalur town and continue onwards to Namakkal via Thuraiyur, Musiri. Namakkal to Bangalore is 4 lane all the way.
Old 29th October 2010, 11:14   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
So I suggest in case you are looking at coming via Veppur the better option is to continue onwards to Perambalur. It is 4 lane from Veppur to Perambalur. You would have to get into Perambalur town and continue onwards to Namakkal via Thuraiyur, Musiri. Namakkal to Bangalore is 4 lane all the way.
That route would then at least a difference of 100Km extra.
Old 29th October 2010, 11:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That route would then at least a difference of 100Km extra.
@ ampere: You are right that route adds another 100kms to the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Salem - Athur stretch is not in great condition, I think somebody had posted in the forum a couple of days back about taking an hour and a half for about 50 kms. So I suggest in case you are looking at coming via Veppur the better option is to continue onwards to Perambalur. It is 4 lane from Veppur to Perambalur. You would have to get into Perambalur town and continue onwards to Namakkal via Thuraiyur, Musiri. Namakkal to Bangalore is 4 lane all the way.
@ pypkmsrikanth: Though Veppur - Perambalur road might be good, the onward route to Namakkal via Thuriyur-Musiri is a little suspect, especially after all the sand carrying lorries ply on that route.
PS: I drove from Bangalore to Trichy twice in Feb 2010 on that route.

I have read on TBHP and on gearheads forum that Seerkazhi - Vriddachalam - Vepuur road is decent, but Attur-Salem strech was bad.

The thread on gearhead forum in July 2010 mentions that there were repair works were being carried out.

So I would like to know if anybody could provide a recent update.
Old 30th October 2010, 01:03   #13
BHPian

@lottoman

Attur-Salem is in pretty bad shape. There is 4 laning work in progress and as usual, the old roads are neglected to go from bad to worse, if not worst!

I took my Swift on this road last week from Erode to Chennai and regretted it big time! Since I was the lone driver, I managed, but taking family will be a BIG NO!

But, if you want to do a suspension test on your brand new Innova, then go for it! Otherwise, stick to the route suggested by @ampere

Also, Trichy bypass is in good condition-4L.
Old 31st October 2010, 23:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

I had done Trichy-Tanjore-Mayavaram in 2008 Dec. Trichy-Tanjore was horrible then esp, getting out of Trichy where NH45 meets NH67.

But now as @Leylander mentions, its eased out by now.

Tamjore-Kumbakonam-Mayavaram was also very decent, not any problems at all. Infact I did it in the evening in fading light and it was very good.

The other good aspect of going by that route is if you want to break, you will get options.

Of the return, I guess as others suggest it may not be good trying the Salem route.

NH66 would be more motorable. (In fact that stretch is only from TVMali to Krishnagiri). The Panruti-Thirukkoiyalur-TVmalai is also very decent, as per what I read on this forum.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Sorry couldn't reply to your posts earlier, was travelling (Bangalore - Belgaum - Wildernest(Chorla Ghats) - Belgaum - Bangalore), shall be posing my driving experience on a seperate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I had done Trichy-Tanjore-Mayavaram in 2008 Dec. Trichy-Tanjore was horrible then esp, getting out of Trichy where NH45 meets NH67.

But now as @Leylander mentions, its eased out by now.

Tamjore-Kumbakonam-Mayavaram was also very decent, not any problems at all. Infact I did it in the evening in fading light and it was very good.

The other good aspect of going by that route is if you want to break, you will get options.

Of the return, I guess as others suggest it may not be good trying the Salem route.

NH66 would be more motorable. (In fact that stretch is only from TVMali to Krishnagiri). The Panruti-Thirukkoiyalur-TVmalai is also very decent, as per what I read on this forum.
@ampere: Based on suggestion on and off the forum, i intend to drive on this route: Seerkazhi - Chidambaram - Neyveli - Panruti - Tirukkoyilur - Tiruvanamalai(NH66) - Krishnagiri - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@lottoman

Attur-Salem is in pretty bad shape. There is 4 laning work in progress and as usual, the old roads are neglected to go from bad to worse, if not worst!

I took my Swift on this road last week from Erode to Chennai and regretted it big time! Since I was the lone driver, I managed, but taking family will be a BIG NO!

But, if you want to do a suspension test on your brand new Innova, then go for it! Otherwise, stick to the route suggested by @ampere

Also, Trichy bypass is in good condition-4L.
@ luvurride: Thanks for the update, though Innova has decent GC , I surely dont intend to do that to my car.

Most Viewed