Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 10:47   #16
BHPian

@chewbacca - thankst for the info :-) now here is the deal, can I do all of this if I this is my frist road trip on this rout.. will be travelling with my mother and am very conscious of losing my way and spoliliong the vacation because of discomfot. It is a rest and leisure trip and kind of family time together.

Should I do Amboli on my way back or while going?
Old 5th November 2010, 21:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

7 days last week of December means you get both Christmas and New Years in Goa. And that I'm sure would be something you'd enjoy. You have plenty of time to decide your route. One is boring but safe the other is totally the opposite, not only are there twsties but also towns come up every now and then. But the thing to beware off is oncoming traffic when you overtake. They are doing the the same as you and the NH17 has no median.
Driving Destinations - Mumbai to Goa: Route Chart
You wont lose your way on the NH17. But you could miss the turns on the NH4 there are photos on the other threads that show these turns.
Old 6th November 2010, 00:41   #18
BHPian

Thanks guys, would someone also happen to know a decent place to stay? Is it recommended that i book in advnce or will i be able to find something once I arrive?
Old 7th November 2010, 15:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Is it recommended that i book in advnce or will i be able to find something once I arrive?
Are you serious? Your going in peak vacation period and everything would be jam-packed FULL. Most MTDC beach resorts especially the one at Tarkarli needs to be booked 6 weeks in advance.

You better cancel your vacation unless you are willing to sleep in the car or some hole-in-the-wall motel (along with family???)

Use google search to find resorts of your choice and then pay online. Take a printout of all important documents before starting off. I usually carry 2 copies each - 1 with me and the other in car)
1> Resort booking / Conformation receipts.
2> Car insurance, Registration, PUC certificate, Driving license, xerox of identity proof, address proof. (in case of accident / theft)
3> Route maps, distance in kms between hops, Important telephone numbers (what if you lose your mobile / wallet / purse?)
4> Spare keys

I also carry a tire gauge meter / foot pump / powerful torch and most important of all..... learn to replace a flat tyre
Team BHP has a seperate thread for this with pictures.
Old 8th November 2010, 14:32   #20
BHPian

Hmm, I have been meaning to learn how to replace a flat tyre for a while..One of the advantage/diadvantage of being a woman driver is that I never get to replace a flat tyre. People just jump in to help. Somehow the general perception is that a woman shouldnt get down to it. but I soon will accomplish this.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, I have been meaning to learn how to replace a flat tyre for a while..One of the advantage/diadvantage of being a woman driver is that I never get to replace a flat tyre. People just jump in to help. Somehow the general perception is that a woman shouldnt get down to it. but I soon will accomplish this.
It's quite easy if you know what to do. First thing you should know about is where exactly you need to place the jack. Most of the new cars need it to be placed below a certain location underneath the running board (check it in your owners manual) Secondly it would be prudent to keep a water pipe about 2 feet in length about 1 inch or a little more in diameter which can be used as leverage with the wheel spanner. Thirdly if it's wheel nuts your car has, ensure that you keep the chamfered ends in facing the rim. Oh and always place the jack on firm ground.

Having said all this I'm sure you wont have a flat since newer vehicle have tubless tires so if a nail does get in, it wil be some time before it gets flat. What you could also carry is the motor air pumps that operate through the cigarette lights plug in. costs about a thousand rupees and they have a guage to show the air pressure too. That way you can fill up and travel some distance till you can get the tire repaired.

As for the other question, yes you should look into booking at the hotels in the places you plan to visit. Like chewbacca said it's peack season.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 8th November 2010 at 17:02.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:22   #22
BHPian

@deutscheafrikar - thanks, that was kool. BTW I have a Swift Dzire and it has tubeless tyres :-)
Old 8th November 2010, 17:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@deutscheafrikar - thanks, that was kool. BTW I have a Swift Dzire and it has tubeless tyres :-)
Welcome. I forgot to mention that the water pipe should fit over the wheel spanner. The swift dzire is a nice car to own. Thought I should mention that Mireo Via GPS 3.0 PC edition by mapmyindia is available some place and it's good to search the routes you might like to travel in
Old 10th November 2010, 02:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
@himavanth - please provide more info on Dandeli/Kali forests. What can I expect in Dec froma a vactaion perspective and if I want to do this and Goa both in a week. What route to take?
Sorry for the late reply, as I have been travelling a lot.

Below are the route details and place to stay

Route: Mumbai - Get on the NH4, go upto Dharwad by pass. Places you will see enroute are Pune (will be by passed), Satara, Belgaum, Dharwad (will be by passed). Somewhere on this bypass, one has to take a detour towards Dandeli or Ganeshgudi (Do not remember the exact place, may be HV Kumar Sir can help you on this). Its best to find the route from here on with the help of locals.

I have stayed at Bison resort about 6 years ago and its a very good place to stay. There are tree top houses with a view of the Kali river (Not sure of the condition right now). However, there might be new resorts that might have come up now. 6 years ago, there was no electricity at dandeli and no cell phone coverage. Things might have changed now.
Activities in and around dandeli include rafting on the kali river and jungle safari through the forests. (Anshi national park)
More information can be found at
Dandeli - Adventure wildlife tours & white water rafting in Dandeli

Back then just for the point of exploring new places, we had gone to Karwar from dandeli and it was a great experience back then.
Mumbai Dandeli is around 600kms and Dandeli Karwar is about 100 kms.

Hope this helps and i am not too late in answering your questions

Last edited by himavanth_m : 10th November 2010 at 02:18.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:27   #25
BHPian

Sounds really exciting. hope I can get to visit these places.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks