Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 11:58   #136
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkishore View Post
Any idea if the Avis' Ford Endevour deal would be available this year too ? Nothing is mentioned on their website yet.
not available. they only have Innova now and its cost works to 52K for 2 weeks after all discounts.
I am panning to do the trip on 4th June now in my Dzire Vdi. hope it can withstand.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:39   #137
BHPian

Any idea what the temperatures would be like at night during 2nd week of june at Pangong lake and nubra valley.I am staying overnight at the camp there.Do I need to carry heavy woolens or light would do?
Old 26th May 2011, 17:45   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Any idea what the temperatures would be like at night during 2nd week of june at Pangong lake and nubra valley.I am staying overnight at the camp there.Do I need to carry heavy woolens or light would do?
Temperatures can fall to around 5-6 degrees at night. Carry heavy woolens. If its windy, it feels even colder due to wind chill factor.
Old 27th May 2011, 02:08   #139
BHPian

Manmohan, first of all, I have to tell you that I envy you for the trip. Its a very elaborate plan and your choice of places and sequencing is just right

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
5. Chandigarh - Shimla.
6. Rest Day.
7. Shimla - Kalpa.
Chandigarh to Shimla is hardly a 3 hour drive, so Narkanda may be a good place to hang around rather than Shimla which is a commercialized hillstation now. Again, this is a very personal view and there's nothing wrong with Shimla. The rest day is very apt here and will re-energize all of you to enjoy the mountains and the journey ahead.

Quote:
8. Kalpa - Kaza.
This is perfectly doable in a car but it will be a long drive. You can stop over at Tabo for a meal since otherwise there's not much choice of eating places on the way.

Quote:
9. Kaza - Keylong.
This will be the most treacherous part of the drive. The roads are non existent and filled with large stones, you'll also be crossing Kunzum La. Start early in the day since you'll have quite a few water crossings in this stretch and they grow bigger as the day progresses.

Quote:
10. Keylong - Sarchu.
11. Sarchu - Leh.
I'm not sure on how old is your nephew, but Sarchu may be too cold to for the little one, especially in those airy tents. If you leave really early (say 4AM) you'll be able to reach Leh directly. You can continue till Jispa instead of Keylong so that you have a little more distance covered already. Again, if you have to stay at Sarchu, make sure he stays really warm all the time.

Quote:
12. Leh - Sumur.
13. Sumur - Spangmik.
14. Rest Day.
15. Spangmik - Hanle.
You may be knowing this already, there's no formal guest house in Hanle. You either stay at the bunker at the observatory for which you need to book in advance or you can get a really cosy room at Katak's shop (hope I got the name correct!). The Katak family is the most resourceful family in Hanle, they have a shop for general ration, a couple of rooms that they let out as a guest house, serve food/tea and the biggest of all - they have a satellite pay phone.

The only thing that they dont have is a decent loo and you may have to adjust maadi with the stilt system they have for a loo.

Quote:
16. Hanle - Korzok (Tso Morori).
17. Korzok - Sarchu.
18. Sarchu - Manali.
19. Rest Day.
20. Manali - Chandigarh.
21. Chandigarh - New Delhi.
22. New Delhi - Udaipur.
23. Udaipur - Vapi.
24. Vapi - Kolhapur.
25. Kolhapur - Bangalore.
No issues here
Old 27th May 2011, 02:28   #140
BHPian

Friends,

My family (wife and 1year old kid), self and a friend of mine are planning to do a Hyderabad - Leh - Hyderabad in June. The drive would be my 2010 Safari.

The tentative plan is as below.

11-Jun-11 Saturday Hyderabad-Navi Mumbai 680
12-Jun-11 Sunday Navi Mumbai-Udaipur 755
13-Jun-11 Monday Udaipur-Chandigarh 950
14-Jun-11 Tuesday Chandigarh-Manali 320
15-Jun-11 Wednesday Manali-Sarchu 237
16-Jun-11 Thursday Sarchu-Leh 267
17-Jun-11 Friday Leh-Khardongla-Leh 99
18-Jun-11 Saturday Leh-Pangong-Leh 329
19-Jun-11 Sunday Leh - Nubra 120
20-Jun-11 Monday Nubra - Leh 120
21-Jun-11 Tuesday Leh Halt
22-Jun-11 Wednesday Leh-Kargil 230
23-Jun-11 Thursday Kargil-Srinagar 200
24-Jun-11 Friday Srinagar Halt
25-Jun-11 Saturday Srinagar-Pathankot 413
26-Jun-11 Sunday Pathankot-Gwalior 823
27-Jun-11 Monday Gwalior-Nagpur 720
28-Jun-11 Tuesday Nagpur-Hyderabad 490
29-Jun-11 Wednesday Spare Day

Need suggestions and recommendations from fellow BHPians on the travel plan and the iternary. Also need advices on whether any permits are required as per the plan. Skipping Tso Morri owing to the to and fro travel for permit from Leh.

Appreciate your comments!

Cheers
~Sree
Old 27th May 2011, 10:50   #141
BHPian

Hey Amol,

Thanks for looking at and responding to my itinerary.
I was thinking of stopping at Shimla so that we could stock up and also since its the last big town thereon. I agree its another overcrowded hill station so will look at your suggestion of stopping at Narkanda. Have been to shimla but not Narkanda, is it a fairly large place ?
Shall change the stop from Keylong to Jispa makes sense.
Have to stop at Sarchu the direct run to Leh will be too hectic and we all have a tendency to stop at every turn, get out of the vehicle and click snaps after the mandatory oooh and aahs. This will surely taper down on the return journey but on the way up I am sure we will be in our element.
My nephew is about 6 and tough as nails, its the adults I am worried about. But don't worry we are cautious people and will take all precautions.
Regarding the overnight stays in the remoter areas such as Hanle, we do need to get confirmed bookings or need to work around them. We shall fine tune the same and closed to the departure dates and they are yet to be fixed. We could be luckier and the Katak family in a show of resourcefulness that you refer to could have some tented accommodation or better loos in place!!
Tell me it is possible to camp in Hanle?
Thanks once again.
Manmohan.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:09   #142
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Leh in Palio's and a Punto

We, a group of a very close friends have had the dream of driving from Bangalore to Leh this September (Also hoping to see the first Indian F1 if it happens during this time). We have made an itinerary. We would like to know if this is a feasible itinerary in terms of weather, road conditions, costs and time. Any feedback would be much appreciated. If any other friends from Bangalore or en-route would want to join in their cars, they are welcome.

Here is the itinerary:
Attached Thumbnails
Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-11111.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-22222.jpg  

Old 28th May 2011, 13:20   #143
Team-BHP Support

F1 race is in end october. The route to leh closes by then, or is on the verge of closure.
Moreover, manali to leh takes 20-30 hours depending upon your luck.

I don't think you have the slightest idea about how to drive to leh, and the terrain and stuff . I suggest you start by reading some travelogues posted by people here. They cover in detail the time taken, the places to see etc.,

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th May 2011 at 13:21.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

^ Thanks!

F1 is not top priority. Its on a best effort basis. If the race dates are close to our travel, we consider it. If not, no issues.

Whats the best time between August-September? And the itinerary on a whole, is it doable? We have at-least 2.5 drivers per car and at-least 2 of these can maintain decent speeds of 100-120KMPH subject to road conditions.

EDIT: I do completely understand the conditions and possible terrains. I have also reviewed many threads on t-bhp. What I mainly do not know as of now is, when would the conditions be most favorable for driving. We are ready for the adventure. That is also the reason why we have a couple of days as buffer

Last edited by funkykar : 28th May 2011 at 13:28.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:41   #145
BHPian

Hey Karthik,
You sure have a quick trip planned out to Leh to me it sounds more like a rally trip sheet. My suggestion would be to take it real slow from Manali onwards. If you have not been to the Himachal and J&K before rest assured that the beauty of the landscape will stop you dead in your tracks at each turn, that in itself will disrupt your plans. There is nothing in Leh Town as such, believe me its the road to Leh that is the magic. My suggestion would be add a few more days and take it slow in the Hills, if you lack time then fly in but do not rush in and out like you plan to.
Just my thoughts.
Manmohan.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:42   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^ Thanks!

F1 is not top priority. Its on a best effort basis. If the race dates are close to our travel, we consider it. If not, no issues.

Whats the best time between August-September? And the itinerary on a whole, is it doable? We have at-least 2.5 drivers per car and at-least 2 of these can maintain decent speeds of 100-120KMPH subject to road conditions.

EDIT: I do completely understand the conditions and possible terrains. I have also reviewed many threads on t-bhp. What I mainly do not know as of now is, when would the conditions be most favorable for driving. We are ready for the adventure. That is also the reason why we have a couple of days as buffer
Sept is the most favourable, and ditto for post 15 august.
However, manali to leh you cannot drive at 100kmph. You will take atleast 21-22 hours.

Secondly, leh is just a city at high altitude. Most places for sight seeing are 5-8 hours away (Pangong Tso, Nubra, Tso moriri)

Last but not the least, you pass through very high passes, and heavy excursion can result in AMS or HAPE, which can easily lead to death.

I suggest, if the number of days in hand are limited, you go somewhere else.

On a related note, have you driven from Bangalore to nagpur. I think its around 18 hours drive minimum, and ditto for Delhi-Nagpur.

So again, I suggest you go through the travelogues, count the days.
Most people take 2 days for manali leh highway.
Some take three.
In 2009,I started from Keylong at 5am and we reached leh post 8pm.
Keylong to manali is a good 7 hours.
Do the maths.
At some stretches, you will do 10kmph with underbody constantly kissing the rocks.

I suggest you fly to leh and hire a cab if you cannot get atleast 2 weeks leave.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

^
^^
Oops! I might have missed out on posting some information and haven't been very clearr.

1) Have been to Manali-Leh before. Did not drive, was driven.
2) F1 is almost not a possibility. So +1 day from our schedule. Also, in my 2nd screenshot, I had taken into account 2 buffer days. So it makes it 3 buffer days. We also don't mind cutting short our Leh sight seeing. This makes it up to 4 buffer days.
3) I overlooked Manali-Leh and wrote as 1 day, I stand corrected.
4) Also, all of us are ready to drive for 1 full day or a day and half continuous in shifts if need arises.
5) The expectation of this expedition is driving, driving and enjoying driving. Yes, we definitely would pull over at the beautiful passes for sure.
6) We also are very aware of the possible health risks and shall prepare for the same in due course.
7) By no means we would drop this plan nor fly and hire a cab. We will only correct and fine tune the plan based on all tbhpian's feedback.

EDIT: Not driven to Nagpur. Have driven to Hyderabad very recently in 6 hours. If road remains the same, we intend to reach Nagpur at night, worst case mid night.

Last edited by funkykar : 28th May 2011 at 14:01.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:30   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
manali to leh takes 20-30 hours depending upon your luck
sorry - but i differ - in 2009 I did - Deskit - Mohali ( Chandigarh ) alone in about 22 hours , i remember had breakfast at around 9: 00 in Leh and Dinner at about 11:00 Pm in Manali .. the only stops were for quick photographs & some Tea breaks , could have done bit early but was struck in Rohtang for about 3 hours
Old 28th May 2011, 14:34   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
sorry - but i differ - in 2009 I did - Deskit - Mohali ( Chandigarh ) alone in about 22 hours , i remember had breakfast at around 9: 00 in Leh and Dinner at about 11:00 Pm in Manali .. the only stops were for quick photographs & some Tea breaks , could have done bit early but was struck in Rohtang for about 3 hours
I guess, 20-30 hours is a reasonable average estimate made by tsk1979 considering road and weather conditions can change anytime at any place around these places.. If one is lucky, may be they can do it like how you did it
Old 28th May 2011, 17:30   #150
Team-BHP Support

So you did Leh-keylong in around 7 hours flat. Thats quite an achievement, because even regular taxi drivers who do manali leh non stop take 18 hours for the route.
The do not take breaks, and drive very fast.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed