Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 21:13   #181

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Dear Asdon & lloydofcochin

Some tips on hiring vehicle:

There are many tour operators who provide SUVs at 10 Rs/km ( Delhi/Noida - Leh - Delhi) This would cost you approximate 33,000 Rs for 15 days 3000 km road trip to Leh. Assuming 5 people travelling , average cost would be just 6,500 per head.

If you need numbers PM me, will send operators details I have.

Cheers,
Viju
https://picasaweb.google.com/vijusnn
vijus_n_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 22:56   #182
Senior - BHPian

Thanks vijus_n_n

As for now we are looking to drive in our own cars all the way till Leh. If something changes, we shall consider hiring a SUV as you stated.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:11   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Endy 3.0 AT started at half-crank at -3 Deg. at Tso Moriri.
Hello Paco ,

Eagerly awaiting your travelogue - I believe you are the first one this season to return , we need update & advise from you on the routes / hotels,,
Old 31st May 2011, 23:20   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco
My Endy 3.0 AT started at half-crank at -3 Deg. at Tso Moriri...
Large displacement di engines can start even without glow plugs at low temperatures.
Old 5th June 2011, 12:35   #185
BHPian

Guys, I need urgent support here!
Want to do the lake circuit on way to leh. I know the following is possible. Please give me details about distances, time taken, fuel and supplies to carry,possible accommodation.
Manali - Sarchu - Pang - Tso Kar - Tso Moriri - chushul -Pangong Tso - Leh.
Have arrangements of getting permits form leh. Please tell me what permit would be needed where and on what day of the journey as i am told that on this route this time only day-specific permits are being given.
We'd be starting from Delhi on the 18th early morning to reach manali by late evening and then starting early morning (19th) from manali to sarchu. Did manali - Leh and back in the indica 3 years back. So doing it in a safari should be a breeze in comparison. Want to put the 4x4 to good use this time around.
We have till tuesday to finalize everything. First meeting of the group travelling is today in the evening at 4:30 pm. Hope to see some info by then.
Looking forward to your help to make it happen.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:42   #186
Team-BHP Support

Get permits for
Tso Kar, Tso Moriri, Polokong La, Nyoma, Loma, Tsaga, Chushul, Man, Merak, Pangong Tso
Old 5th June 2011, 13:56   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
Want to do the lake circuit on way to leh. I know the following is possible. Please give me details about distances, time taken, fuel and supplies to carry,possible accommodation.
Have arrangements of getting permits form leh. Please tell me what permit would be needed where and on what day of the journey as i am told that on this route this time only day-specific permits are being given.
We'd be starting from Delhi on the 18th early morning to reach manali by late evening and then starting early morning (19th) from manali to sarchu. Did manali - Leh and back in the indica 3 years back. So doing it in a safari should be a breeze in comparison. Want to put the 4x4 to good use this time around.
We have till tuesday to finalize everything. First meeting of the group travelling is today in the evening at 4:30 pm. Hope to see some info by then.
I am not sure you will be able to cover Pangong Tso on the way from Sarchu to Leh whle Tso Kar and Tso Moriri is possible. But it will be little risky to cover Tso Kar and Tso Moriri on the way as it may get late and it is better to drive when there is light in these areas. Take a look at this article in Outlook Traveller wich may help you to plan.

Outlooktraveller.com

Pangong Tso reauires a day to go and come back provided you leave at five in the morning.
Old 5th June 2011, 16:56   #188
BHPian

Hi guys,

Not exactly ladakh.. but i need some inputs on going from delhi to kullu/manali (volvo) and then hiring a bike(pulsar/karizma) to go on further. We are 1 couple planning something in middle of july. We might go max 1/2 day/s distance from manali or thereabouts, things also depend on your inputs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:43   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I am not sure you will be able to cover Pangong Tso on the way from Sarchu to Leh whle Tso Kar and Tso Moriri is possible. But it will be little risky to cover Tso Kar and Tso Moriri on the way as it may get late and it is better to drive when there is light in these areas. Take a look at this article in Outlook Traveller wich may help you to plan.

Outlooktraveller.com

Pangong Tso reauires a day to go and come back provided you leave at five in the morning.
I don't think he is talking about driving all the way to Pangong tso.
I think he intends to
1. Sarchu - Tso Moriri
2. Tso Moriri - Pangong via chushul
3. Pangong to Leh
Old 6th June 2011, 11:51   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
The problems I see here:

- The permits have to be obtained in Leh by someone and shipped to you at Manali. Keylong or Sarchu. Typically, travel agents use the jeep taxi drivers to get it to the Manali-Leh taxi stand at Manali where you can pick it up

- Fuel stocks, there is no fuel pump between Tandi (before Keylong) and Karu (before Leh), which means you will have to run 560 kms without a fuel pump, that means you have to stock extra fuel in your cars.

- In case you are looking to download your photos, etc onto your laptop computers, you are advised not to switch on the laptops all the way from Keylong through Sarchu, Pang, Tso Kar, Tso M tilll Karu.

- If you choose to cover Hanle also on the way to Leh from Tso M, then your fuel stocking needs will go up further
Old 7th June 2011, 17:06   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The problems I see here:

- In case you are looking to download your photos, etc onto your laptop computers, you are advised not to switch on the laptops all the way from Keylong through Sarchu, Pang, Tso Kar, Tso M tilll Karu.
Please explain why.

UM
Old 7th June 2011, 17:16   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Please explain why.

UM
Laptop HDDs are known to crash at high altitudes, normally 13,000 feet.

The reasons are quotes as follows:
"Take a look at any hard drive and you will see a small hole that says “do not cover” or something to that effect. That hole allows air to pass in and out of the drive. That air is needed to form an air “cushion” between the platter (the disc where data is saved) and the head which skims over the disk as it’s spinning. No air means the head will crash into the disk. The higher the altitude, the greater the risk of it happening. I’ve used my laptop at 14,000 ft on Kilimanjaro with no problems. People use laptops at Everest base camp (~18,000 feet). It works, but I would use it only when I really need it. The more time it is spinning at higher altitudes, the greater your chance of having a head crash. If you want to spend the money, you can buy a solid state drive (SSD – an option with the mac air) which uses flash memory. No moving parts to worry about here."
high altitude laptop problems? | Lightstalkers

You can see this and many other links that you will get if you google search.

2 of our friends here in this forum have lost their laptops that way - it included a Mac as well.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 12:28   #193
BHPian

OK- this is my problem...
On the manali -Leh route:

I am driving Sarchu-Upshi (halt)
Upshi- Karu- Chang La- Pangong Tso- Marsimek La- Tangste (Halt)
Tangstse- Karu- Leh (halt).
Total distance seems to be about 560 between Tandi and Leh, lets take it as600Km (to err on the safer side).
Scorpio M/T, 2WD, 4 adults+2 teenagers.

How much fuel do I need? presuming I full tank at Tandi.
I am estimating 2 cans of 25L each in addition to the full tank.
I am unable to find Scorpio-diesel fuel average data on any web site- strange.

Or is fuel available at Karu?

Will the about 90L be good enough?

KD
Old 9th June 2011, 12:31   #194
Team-BHP Support

1. I would recommend you not to Try Marsimik La in a 2WD scorpio.
2. You get fuel at Karu.
3. For your needs one can is fine. Manali leh is 560kms not Tandi-Leh

Since you are staying at Upshi, I presume you have permits in advance?
Old 9th June 2011, 13:03   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Manali leh is 560kms not Tandi-Leh

Since you are staying at Upshi, I presume you have permits in advance?
Permits taken care of, thanks for asking, as the wife will be flying into Leh and coming south to Upshi with the permits.

The 560 is Tandi-Upshi-Pangong Tso-Marsimek La-Tangste-Leh.

If I get fuel at Karu, then I dont really need to sweat, a 20 or 25L jerry can should suffice for 'safety sake.' Right?

I will note your Marsimek La advise, can you tell me why though... Am out to have a good time, and not heroics... am already married

KD
Closed Thread

Most Viewed