Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 23:08   #271
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Hey All, this is with reference to carrying Diesel / Petrol in cans for the long runs where Ladakh lacks petrol pumps. Have had a 5 litre can of bottled water filled with Diesel in my car from the past couple of weeks and have travelled over 1200 Kms. Happy to report that there is absolutely zero smell, even after having parked overnight or in the after noon sun, let alone any spillage. These cans are available at any General Store and have seen 'Kingfisher' and 'Bisleri' bottles, however am sure thare are other makes available. The bottle plastic is of good quality and the cap has a soft rubber sealing insert on the inside. It costs about Rs. 50 per, with 5 lts of water of course. However am not sure if they get pressed hard between other stored lugguage in the boot or any sharp edges. Cheers. Manmohan.
Old 30th June 2011, 00:13   #272
BHPian

Thanks Bolero

We will be leaving on motorbikes.
Old 30th June 2011, 01:28   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck3R View Post
Guys, I plan to leave from Delhi on a BEAT. (Its just in my mind as of now. I have a Bus ticket booked for 1st July as my primary transport). Will be going to Delhi-Manali-Leh. Will I be able to do it in this Car? And if its doable in this car.

Can I take a detour in case there is a bad road situation from Manali to Leh? I mean via SriNagar.

I decided to go by car because it would be cost efficient and we would be carrying a lot of clothes which would be hard to carry around in the whole trip.

Thanks.
Someone please help????
Old 30th June 2011, 10:31   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck3R View Post
Guys, I plan to leave from Delhi on a BEAT. (Its just in my mind as of now. I have a Bus ticket booked for 1st July as my primary transport). Will be going to Delhi-Manali-Leh. Will I be able to do it in this Car? And if its doable in this car.

Can I take a detour in case there is a bad road situation from Manali to Leh? I mean via SriNagar.

I decided to go by car because it would be cost efficient and we would be carrying a lot of clothes which would be hard to carry around in the whole trip.

Thanks.
Take the Sringar route while going, as July is monsoon time, and Rohtang is a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
For Khardung-La and Marsimik we need to take pass from LEH DM office. I will be reaching there on saturday (9th July'11). Can any body tell me wether I can get pass on saturday? Means is DM office open on Friday and Saturday.
If Not how to get through other way? if there is any.

Can we take above mentioned passes from Manali anyhow?

Reply awaited!
You have to contact some travel agent in leh for permits in advance. Ideally, its good to rest a day in Leh, and use that day for permits. Its open on friday. Not sure about saturday. Go to leh,nic.in and find out their telephone number and ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Hey All, this is with reference to carrying Diesel / Petrol in cans for the long runs where Ladakh lacks petrol pumps. Have had a 5 litre can of bottled water filled with Diesel in my car from the past couple of weeks and have travelled over 1200 Kms. Happy to report that there is absolutely zero smell, even after having parked overnight or in the after noon sun, let alone any spillage. These cans are available at any General Store and have seen 'Kingfisher' and 'Bisleri' bottles, however am sure thare are other makes available. The bottle plastic is of good quality and the cap has a soft rubber sealing insert on the inside. It costs about Rs. 50 per, with 5 lts of water of course. However am not sure if they get pressed hard between other stored lugguage in the boot or any sharp edges. Cheers. Manmohan.
Even Bislery 20 liter water bottle(costs 150rs) does a good job.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:03   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You have to contact some travel agent in leh for permits in advance.
Permits can be arranged at Leh by Mr. Toldan. He can be contacted on 9622995450.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 12:18   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Permits can be arranged at Leh by Mr. Toldan. He can be contacted on 9622995450.
Thanks for this info sir. Coupla questiona:

1. Does he obtains permits for only a week, as most of the agents do, or can he arrange permits for longer duration?

2. What's the procedure while obtaining permits in advance? My understanding: Call up the agent, fax him your ID proof and pay while taking the permits. Any variations in above?

Another question just came to mind

Could we ask them to courier the permits to say Noida?

Last edited by lordofgondor : 30th June 2011 at 12:20.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:57   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
1. Does he obtains permits for only a week, as most of the agents do, or can he arrange permits for longer duration?

2. What's the procedure while obtaining permits in advance? My understanding: Call up the agent, fax him your ID proof and pay while taking the permits. Any variations in above?

Another question just came to mind

Could we ask them to courier the permits to say Noida?
He did say he would courier the permits to any address in India. Seemed to be able to arrange any type of permit, including foreigners' permits, though I did not ask him about how long the permits can be issued for - we needed them for 6 days, he got it for us. Charged Rs.150 per head, called up on the phone and hand-delivered the permits - not at the hotel, but at the shop in the market where we were at that time!
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 17:47   #278
BHPian

@ Traveler...Thanks you so much for the information.
My questions
Can he arrange permits for Marsimik and Khardung la?
Old 1st July 2011, 23:12   #279
BHPian

Even Bislery 20 liter water bottle(costs 150rs) does a good job.[/quote]

TSK Ji, all the 20 litre bottles I saw were either the ones that are used with a dispenser, as used in offices, and have a 'open once only' cap or they had taps to dispense water. Are there any available with the normal screw cap that is used in the 1 litre bottles? Also has anyone on the forum used these bottles to carry fuel ? Any negatives ? Manmohan.
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:54   #280
Senior - BHPian

Any information on the current road conditions to Padum?
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:52   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post

TSK Ji, all the 20 litre bottles I saw were either the ones that are used with a dispenser, as used in offices, and have a 'open once only' cap or they had taps to dispense water. Are there any available with the normal screw cap that is used in the 1 litre bottles? Also has anyone on the forum used these bottles to carry fuel ? Any negatives ? Manmohan.
Yes, Bisleri has a 20 liter can which comes with a screw on cap.
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:31   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Can I get his e-mail id.
Talked to this guy and may be coz of little disturbance coudn't get his mail id correct. Delivery Failed
Old 4th July 2011, 10:46   #283
BHPian

Seniors and all those have already visited Leh
Is it okey to go Leh in July on bikes?? I Guess no life endangering situations?
Pleae help
Old 4th July 2011, 10:56   #284
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pleae help
Driving to Leh/Ledakh is not just another hill drive. Good preparation,planning and luck will see you through. Its absolutely safe otherwise. In my recent trip i saw more bikers in group the self driven cars/suvs. The passes are difficult in term of road conditions, slush and rain. Carefull driving should see these hurdles through.

Last edited by v&v : 4th July 2011 at 11:01.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:06   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I get his e-mail id.
splashladakh @ gmail dot com or c/o dawa_jora @ yahoo dot com
Quote:
Apart from a repetition of the flash floods of last year, or doing something stupid like falling off a cliff or crashing into a parked truck, I don't foresee any life endangering situations if you travel to Leh in July on a bike.

Wish you all the best for your trip.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed