Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:13   #331
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Closing Rohtang on Tuesdays for maintenance work is a normal affair. Zoji la is closed on Mondays. For Rohtang, the permit requirement continues from Manali side.
I heard that on Tuesdays its closed from 11 am till 4 pm. if one leaves early morning then there should not be any problem. Of course permit is now required.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:26   #332
BHPian

I along with 2 of my friends are planning to have the trip of lifetime between 12th Aug-22nd Aug. We plan to get back by 21st Aug with 1 day as buffer. One of my friend is arranging permits from here only, so we are not planning any stay in Leh. The vehicle is Safari 2.2 LX (2WD). Below is the itinerary we planned.

12 Aug-13 Aug Delhi > Manali > keylong (Start 12th Night)
14 Aug Keylong > Sarchu > Tso Moriri
15 Aug Tso Moriri > Leh
16 Aug Leh > Khardungla > Nubra Valley (Overnight At Nubra)
17 Aug Nubra > Khalsar > Agam > Wari La Pass > Pangong Tso (OverNight Stay)
18 Aug Pangong > Changla > Leh (Overnight at Leh)
19 Aug Leh > Kargil > Srinagar>
20 Aug-21 Aug Srinagar > Delhi

A few question
a. Can we cover KeyLong to Tso Moriri in a single Day?
b. Can we cover Nubra to Pangong Lake in a single Day?
c. Going by the current situation in rohtang, is it advisable to go via manali to via srinagar?
d. If we take srinagar, we will be passing srinagar, Kargil on 14th Aug. I am not sure how safe it would be?
Old 4th August 2011, 09:18   #333
J.Ravi

Should I carry extra fuel of 20 litres for Leh-Hunder-Leh [280 km] and Leh-PangongTso-Leh [340 km] trips? Or can I manage with tankful of fuel [45 litres] in my Linea for each trip [with a FE of 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore with ACC/5 occupants]? Kindly enlighten me.

Old 4th August 2011, 11:00   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Should I carry extra fuel of 20 litres for Leh-Hunder-Leh [280 km] and Leh-PangongTso-Leh [340 km] trips? Or can I manage with tankful of fuel [45 litres] in my Linea for each trip [with a FE of 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore with ACC/5 occupants]? Kindly enlighten me.
Leh-Hunder-Leh is 250 kms only. NO need to carry reserve fuel. There is a fuel pump in Desikit, but can be unreliable and last time I went was not selling petrol (although I am told that it does now).

But if you are going on to Turtuk, that will add 170 kms, then you must carry extra fuel.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 11:11   #335
J.Ravi

Thanks a lot, hvkumar, for prompt response. Both myself and my Linea are relieved of extra burden of 20 litres of petrol! No, I don't have plans to visit Turtuk in this visit.

Old 6th August 2011, 03:38   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8090guy View Post
All
I'm planning Hyd - Leh - Srinagar - Hyd trip from 26-Aug to 18-Sept. Myself, wifey and our Swift ZXI! Planning to drive through Bombay not Nagpur.

I was going through this thread to see if anyone from Hyd is doing this trip at the same time. Looks like no. MileCruncher seems to be doing it along with hvk , who is planning mid-August if I'm not wrong.

Pls let me know. My itenary is getting to a final shape.

-Vivek
Hi Vivek,

I am leaving Hyderabad on 22nd morning and am stopping over in Bombay till 3.00 p.m. on 23rd (that is when I pick up a friend at the Airport). Thereafter I plan to go via Amritsar and Srinagar to Leh and return via Manali (depends on road conditions). I plan to return to Hyderabad by 8th September.

Guess we might meet up somewhere.
Old 6th August 2011, 22:28   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I along with 2 of my friends are planning to have the trip of lifetime between 12th Aug-22nd Aug. We plan to get back by 21st Aug with 1 day as buffer. One of my friend is arranging permits from here only, so we are not planning any stay in Leh. The vehicle is Safari 2.2 LX (2WD). Also keep a day for acclimitization in Leh, else AMS will hit you and its not a very pleasant situation to be in (been there done that). Below is the itinerary we planned.

15 Aug Tso Moriri > Leh

A few question
c. Going by the current situation in rohtang, is it advisable to go via manali to via srinagar?
d. If we take srinagar, we will be passing srinagar, Kargil on 14th Aug. I am not sure how safe it would be?

Hey abbey4u : I am starting on 12th night and intend to stay in Keylong on 13th (have done the booking at Chandrabhaga already). Me2 travelling in Safari 2WD. I am not sure if Tso Moriri requires a permit. Also, you would need to carry extra fuel if you are taking this route. I am instead planning for the Leh-Pangon Tso-Man-Tso Moriri route while coming back. To answer your qusetions:

a. Yes, but you have to be open to the idea of 12-14 hrs drive
b. Yes, not many taxi drivers/locals/tourists use that route due to treacharous condidtions
c. Situation is tricky predominantly near Rani nullah. With 2 safaris together, I am sure we can make it. However, as I say, Manali-Leh is not for weak hearted, but determination. However, if you guys are travelling first time on hills, and not been out of tricky situations (aka slush, etc.) ever, do not take this chance and go via Srinagar.
d. Also, you will miss out the beauty that Manali-Leh highway offers. Not to forget, you will need an additional day if you take Srinagar route.

Last edited by cutdcrap : 6th August 2011 at 22:30.
Old 6th August 2011, 23:25   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Have replied inline to your queries in bold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Tso Moriri to Jispa took us about 13 hrs 15 min. Add about 1 hr. for Keylong to Jispa, so expected travel time would be at least 14 hours if not more.

15 Aug Tso Moriri > Leh
Why not Tso Moriri > Niyoma > Tsaga > Chushul > Merak > Spangmik > Lukung (Pangong Lake) on this day? Since you are prearranging permits, you don't need to go to Leh from Moriri at all. THe road is very much doable in a 4x2 Safari. Check my travelogue for road condition pictures, or check these albums:
Roads in Ladakh: Pangong Tso and the road to Chushul | Facebook,
Roads in Ladakh: From Chushul to Mahe | Facebook and
Roads in Ladakh: From Mahey to Tso Moriri and back to Sumdo | Facebook.

Very much doable, even via Leh. 12-13 hours travel time. Would suggest you do it via Leh rather than via Wari La, since the time taken would be more via Wari La even though the distance is marginally less.

Then on 16th do Pangong > Hunder / Panamik (Nubra Valley) via Leh.

Saves an extra day if you proceed from Moriri to Pangong directly, and then proceed to Nubra Valley. Since Nubra has 2 main places to go to (Hunder and Panamik, you can devote one day each to the two places.

You can come back to Leh from Nubra Valley and spend a day here on the 18th.

Not advisable to do Leh > Srinagar in one day - 15-16 hours of driving time required, apart from any breaks you might take. Stop overnight at Kargil.

A few question
Whether via Rohtang or via Zoji La, do not consider the drive to be easy. Worst case scenario, you might be held up at Rohtang for a few hours. Who cares? You are planning to go only as far as Keylong (115 km from Manali)!

Probably the safest time, since security will be hyperactive on those days.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th August 2011 at 23:35.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 00:11   #339
BHPian

Thanks ss-traveller and cutdcrap (i like the Id ), I have now replanned my visit and below is the new itinerary. The whole trip now gives us time at each destination to enjoy its beauty.

12 Aug-13 Aug Delhi > Manali (Overnight in Manali.) Also probably need to take the permit from SDM office to pass rohtang.
14 Aug Manali > Keylong > Sarchu (Stay in MAULKILA ADVENTURE CAMP)
15 Aug Sarchu > Leh (Stay at CITY PALACE)
16 Aug Leh > Khardungla > Nubra Valley (Overnight At Nubra SILK ROUTE COTTAGE)
17 Aug Nubra > Leh (OverNight Stay LHA RI SA RESORT)
18 Aug Leh > Pangong (PANGONG RESORT & CAMP)
19 Aug Pangong > Leh (SPIC N SPAN)
20 Aug-20 Aug Leh > Srinagar/Kargil (no booking. Will decide on the fly)
21 Aug - 22 Aug (Continuous drive to delhi with stopovers in Dhabas )

We decided to give Tso moriri a miss, since we thought it will be too tiring. Since it will be the first time i will be travelling to leh/ladhakh, i am sure there will be lot of photography breaks which will slow us down.

Also we thought that coming back to leh after nubra and pangong is more viable as this way we can spend an extended morning at these two places and don't have to rush in to reach the next destination. Plus we have three gorgeous evening to spend at leh. as i heard leh has some good restaurant which serves good ladakhi food to get us munching.

cutdcrap, we can definitively hook up atleast till manali and during the trip at various places. What's your itinerary? I will be starting from Gurgaon @ 10.30 PM
Old 7th August 2011, 00:15   #340
BHPian

and to mention to ss-traveller, i have been hooked on to your travelogue and pics, they are amazing.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 12:54   #341
BHPian

@abbey4u : Here's the itenerary:

12th night : Start from Delhi
13th : Stay at Keylong (Chandrabhaga booked)
14th : Keylong - Leh (This will be stretched day)
15th : Acclimatize / Permits / If possible, local sight seeing (but not stretching)
16th : Leh-Khardungla-Leh (Will try a bit for further ahead, based on conditions)
17th : Leh-pangong Tso (With extra fuel for next day's drive)
18th : Pangong Tso - Man - Tso Moriri
19th : Tso Moriri - Jispa
20th : Jispa - Chandratal - Gramphoo
21st : Run to Delhi

If aal ijj well for fellow travellers and self, then only will plan for Chandratal. Else, will return on 20th night. Am starting around 7:00 pm from East Delhi.

My 2 cents on your itenerary:
1. Try and stay at Jispa/Kelyong instead of Sarchu. Though you will cover more distance your way, the chances of being hit by AMS are also high. It gets quite windy at night in Sarchu, so not sure if you will be able to sleep peacefully.
2. Please keep a day for acclimitization. Not only is it important, but you can also do local sight seeing that day (Shey monastery, Pathar Sahab Gurudwara, Magnetic Hill, Shanti Stupa, etc.). Worst case scenario, the automobile develops a fault, this is the place where it can be rectified.

+1 to being hooked to ss-traveller's travelogue. I showed some of the pics to wifey, and she said she can feel she's there : such beautiful detailing done. Amazing

Last edited by cutdcrap : 7th August 2011 at 12:58.
cutdcrap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 02:16   #342
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad to Leh-Ladakh... Queries

Sounds, maybe, a little outrageous but that is what I am planning to do in a Manza. No fancy 4x4 or a Safari available. Hyderabad to Leh and back. Tentative plans are for December when its easier to take longish breaks. Its still at formative stages... But then I like to plan early.

I want your advice here on the following questions,

* is it doable?
* what is the best route to take for this journey?
* is it sensible to avoid Delhi?
* what should be the minimum duration required? Consider that I am generally averse to traveling by night
* I will have a 2 year old traveling with me.
* is it doable in a Manza?
* what are the pitfalls/routes best avoided?

I may refine my queries further based on your inputs.

Last edited by Zappo : 15th August 2011 at 02:20.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 02:58   #343
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Leh-Ladakh... Queries

Very much possible in a Manza but you can't do it in December.

Simple reason of roads being closed to Ladakh. You'll need to plan between May and November.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 08:11   #344
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am planning to do in a Manza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Very much possible in a Manza but you can't do it in December.
I have planned to do the Leh expedition in the next month in my Linea, Manza's half-sister [sharing the same Ranjangaon plant apart from GC] with just two occupants in 19 days! A chief engineer in BRO informed us that Srinagar-Leh and Manali-Leh roads will be closed from October.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th August 2011 at 08:31.

Old 15th August 2011, 10:58   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
* is it doable?
* what is the best route to take for this journey?
* is it sensible to avoid Delhi?
* what should be the minimum duration required? Consider that I am generally averse to traveling by night
* I will have a 2 year old traveling with me.
* is it doable in a Manza?
* what are the pitfalls/routes best avoided?
As others have mentioned a different time needs to be chosen as routes to Leh will be closed because of snow. Apart from that another advise i can give is with a 2 year old kid it becomes slightly complicated as at that age kids will have difficulty explaining what is the problem. You could probably go to Leh but higher passes may pose problems for the child.

Take the kid to a good doctor who has seen him/her growing up and is better placed to suggest if the child can take the low levels of oxygen. My daughters doctor has seen her from birth and was supremely confident and she would be just fine (And it turned out to be true). For more info on kids travel to Leh you can read my thread (Although she is close to 5).

You would possibly need 2 weeks time off, approx 3-4 days to reach Leh (Depending on speed and clogging on the roads).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed