Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 16:51   #361
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Hi Ravi,

Can you find out whether this would also include Lahaul/ Spiti areas as well?

Rgds
Old 25th August 2011, 17:03   #362
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Can you find out whether this would also include Lahaul/ Spiti areas as well?
The Chief Engineer/BRO gave this specific information on my pointed query regarding Leh.

I think access to Lahaul&Spiti will also be affected during winter. The details are here.

Old 11th September 2011, 10:34   #363
BHPian

Hello,

I am planning to drive upto Khardung La from Bombay next summer in our Indigo GLS, and if I go, then I would be taking the Srinagar-Kargil-Leh route.

1. The car will be 9 years old in June 2012, and would have done around or more than 1,00,000kms.

2. Tyres are due for a replacement as they are more than 40,000 kms old. But thanks to my dads sedate and thoughtful driving, they are in a great shape. The service engineer says they need not be changed as of now. But they will be changed before the road trip if that happens.

3. Both suspensions are brand new, they were replaced a couple of months ago.

4. The car has been maintained flawlessly and exactly as per the recommendations of the service manual, and is in great shape. There were a few hiccups in the last few years, but they were all due to a faulty battery and/or a misbehaving security system.

So my question is: Can this car do it ? Please help!

Thanks and regards,
Aalok
Old 11th September 2011, 10:58   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
Hello,

I am planning to drive upto Khardung La from Bombay next summer in our Indigo GLS, and if I go, then I would be taking the Srinagar-Kargil-Leh route.

1. The car will be 9 years old in June 2012, and would have done around or more than 1,00,000kms.

2. Tyres are due for a replacement as they are more than 40,000 kms old. But thanks to my dads sedate and thoughtful driving, they are in a great shape. The service engineer says they need not be changed as of now. But they will be changed before the road trip if that happens.

3. Both suspensions are brand new, they were replaced a couple of months ago.

4. The car has been maintained flawlessly and exactly as per the recommendations of the service manual, and is in great shape. There were a few hiccups in the last few years, but they were all due to a faulty battery and/or a misbehaving security system.

So my question is: Can this car do it ? Please help!

Thanks and regards,
Aalok
I drove my Matiz in 2004 to Ladakh after it had clocked 2.40 lakh kms (its second trip).
I drove my SCorpio in 2009 to Ladakh after it crossed 2 lakh kms.
And I again drove the same Scorpio to Ladakh in 2011 after it had crossed 2.75 lakh kms (now it is 2.89 lakh kms old)

Do you need any further encouragement?
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 21:09   #365

I am planning to leave from Delhi to leh via spiti valley in two weeks. Does anyone have recent updates on spiti's road. it's gonna be tough so we 2 safarian are going together to avoid being jinxed on high altitudes as season has almost gone and one will hardly spot companion cars on leh highway.
Old 27th September 2011, 23:36   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyPaaji View Post
I am planning to leave from Delhi to leh via spiti valley in two weeks. Does anyone have recent updates on spiti's road. it's gonna be tough so we 2 safarian are going together to avoid being jinxed on high altitudes as season has almost gone and one will hardly spot companion cars on leh highway.
From latest updates, kunzum has some snow. Be prepared to return via Srinagar, as Manali Leh highway can close around end october due to snowfall.
I suggest you leave before 15 oct. Its not rare for Kunzum to close by end october.
After october starts, they rarely clear any major snowfall.
Rohtang will be cleared till November 15, though local admin puts pressure and BRO keeps doing that till major snowfalls start in December.

You will also get the problem of black ice at wet spots. Watch out for that. Its nasty from a skidding point of view.

Last but not the least, places like pangong and Tso moriri will be very cold, and you may face starting issues.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:35   #367

Thanks tsk. I wasn't really aware that it's going to be tough during these days. Please suggest the car which can take me there without or less hassle. I was thinking of taking safari 3ltr there or by a 1985 bullet 350. As you said I might face black snow slipping issue and 3 ltr safari carries a weight of 3k kilograms so my worries are more around getting an hold on black bull. Or what if I came to know that BrO has closed the pass via manali, should I move back to pathankot-Jammu road and reach leh. I wanted to see snowfall as my home minister wanted to see it, please suggest the way out. Most likely, I will be at mandible, HP on the eve of Diwali so should I move ahead to manali or to Jammu?
Old 5th October 2011, 10:25   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyPaaji View Post
Thanks tsk. I wasn't really aware that it's going to be tough during these days. Please suggest the car which can take me there without or less hassle. I was thinking of taking safari 3ltr there or by a 1985 bullet 350. As you said I might face black snow slipping issue and 3 ltr safari carries a weight of 3k kilograms so my worries are more around getting an hold on black bull. Or what if I came to know that BrO has closed the pass via manali, should I move back to pathankot-Jammu road and reach leh. I wanted to see snowfall as my home minister wanted to see it, please suggest the way out. Most likely, I will be at mandible, HP on the eve of Diwali so should I move ahead to manali or to Jammu?
This year they are planning to keep the road open till november.
So take the safari, because on a bike you may get cold.

however, if you are an avid biker, and your bike is in good condition, then you can definitely do a bike trip.

But a Safari will be more comfortable, and by avoiding driving at night, you should be okay.
Go via manali, and then come back via Srinagar.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:31   #369
Team-BHP Support

Are they planning to keep the road open till end November?
Where I can find more information on this Tanvir?
Old 5th October 2011, 13:26   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Are they planning to keep the road open till end November?
Where I can find more information on this Tanvir?
Atleast rohtang pass will remain open till Nov 30
Manali-Leh highway to be open till Nov 30 - The Times of India
The article says Manali-Leh highway
That said, the Manali-Leh highway is officially kept open till October 31.
So probably they are planning to extend the date!
Old 24th October 2011, 11:13   #371
BHPian

HVK Sir,

Please send me the route that you used to Ladakh, planning September 2012. It would be useful for me to plan accordingly.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:17   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
HVK Sir,

Please send me the route that you used to Ladakh, planning September 2012. It would be useful for me to plan accordingly.
Please check out the travelogue here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...radesh-42.html, which details our latest Ladakh trip.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:43   #373
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - May/June - Trip Planner

Please do let me know if anyone is planning May/ June 2012 , I also plan to do that with Family in my Scorpio.

Starting Place is Bangalore, I am planning to go via Gujarat. Amritsar and then over to Srinagar ( following Roamingrao's route completed in 2011)

Thanks

Rajesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Hi all
I am starting this thread for my family trip next year Leh.
Trip preparation, Route planning etc. Planning to have a 20-25 day trip.

A lot of Bhpians are planning for a Leh visit next year. Already Me, SST, MileCruncher ,sumannandy,harjeev are on.

Lets make a Team-BHP Convoy the above period with or without families are welcome to chip in plans and suggestions.

Will be updating this post soon.

v&v

Last edited by Rajesh1968 : 25th October 2011 at 10:46.
Old 26th October 2011, 01:33   #374
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Hi everybody
It is better to go via Srinagar and return via Manali to reduce probability of AMS.
If one person suffers then the whole group suffers a setback.
If you are doing the whole circular route it is far better to go via Srinagar.
Regards
Old 27th October 2011, 19:39   #375
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Happy Diwali to all !!

If not already crowded, I too join you next year, if don't mind, with a Linea.
(Doing multi-thread posting, dont know the other one is the right place to apply for admission)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed