Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 14:00   #391
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

AAlok and Superbee,

Lets decide on the dates. Preferably all should leave together. I need to book leaves in advance - so will be good if we can finalise on this together. As of now, June or July are good enough for me.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 14:26   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
Chaand, I am planning to take my (fathers) Indigo GLS. SuperBee, my dates are not fixed yet. They depend on a lot of things, but I am looking at July or maybe end June for the trip. Which car are you planning to take ?

Regards,
Aalok
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
AAlok and Superbee,

Lets decide on the dates. Preferably all should leave together. I need to book leaves in advance - so will be good if we can finalise on this together. As of now, June or July are good enough for me.

I'm planning to take my Swift as of now.

For the dates, I was preferring mid-June as the tourist season will not have started in full swing, and we will have less crowds and more peace.

Also I have prepared a sample itinerary for the trip for 12 days, starting and ending in New Delhi. I'm doubtful if i'll get more than 2 weeks leave, and that gives me 16 days for this trip. How many days are you guys planning for on this trip?
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 19:22   #393
BHPian

Would like to see that sample itinerary. I can spare a max of 20 days for this trip.

No idea why, but I am unable to PM you.

In case any one else from Mumbai plans to join, then lets have a small meeting to decide and firm up plans.

Last edited by @Chaand : 12th March 2012 at 19:24.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 18:06   #394
BHPian

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Dear fellow BHPians,

I am planning on a vacation in Ladakh in June. I'll be traveling with my wife & our 4 year old daughter. Just got my ticketing done - we fly in on a Sunday & fly out on the next Monday giving us 8 nights 9 Days. I had a few questions to ask .... I'll try to keep it as short as I can & hope to receive inputs from the experts here.

1. I thought of hiring a SUV with guide cum chauffeur {who would allow me drive in between as well } for my transfers in & out of Leh to other places...Any recommendation on travel agents/vendors based on past experience ?

2. The leit-motif behind all my holidays is photography, I hate traveling with a check list of places to see. So my plan is to keep it simple, spend the first day doing nothing in Leh, acclimatising; 2 nights in Nubra/Hundur, 2 nights in Pangong, & 2 nights in Tso Moriri/Changthang plateau (including 1 day each for transfers alone). Does this make sense?

3. I am traveling with a 4 year old, though she has been exposed to higher altitudes in the past (a week in Switzerland @ altitudes ranging between 3000 - 4000 mts - with show signs of AMS when she was 3) will this plan be too taxing? Most places I want to cover Leh (3500), Nubra (3000), Pangong (4300) & Tso Moriri (4500) are in this range. Should I should still rationalize this agenda, I would presume the drives could be pretty harsh between these spots.

Sorry about the long note. Would appreciate your suggestions...
Old 17th March 2012, 08:50   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham
I am traveling with a 4 year old, though she has been exposed to higher altitudes in the past (a week in Switzerland @ altitudes ranging between 3000 - 4000 mts - with show signs of AMS when she was 3) .
I meant to say ' with no signs of AMS, when she was 3'.
Old 18th March 2012, 22:03   #396
BHPian

Me and three of my friends have started planning for a trip from Bangalore to Leh and Ladakh this August. Looking at my holiday calendar (attached), August seems to be the most practical month. I guess - this is also the preferred time for the trip?

WO - Weekly Off (saturday & sunday)
AL - Need to apply leave
PH - Public holiday

By applying leave for 8 days, i get 16 days off in a row this August. Since the 4 of us needed to sync up our holidays, we weren't able to squeeze in extra days into this plan. So, that leaves us with just 16 days to plan for!

Mode of transport : My brand new Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DiCOR EX BS4

If anyone else has similar Leh and Ladakh plan this August, we can surely sync up.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-2012_holidays.jpg  

Old 19th March 2012, 14:31   #397
BHPian

Hi Avinash,
I am also planning a tour to the same place, same time.
I am told Sept. is best month, but I may join to any group having a HIGH ground clearance vehicle like yours, because;
I will come with my Linea from Cochin, joining you ppl somewhere on GQ, till say Kargil, park Linea (till where Linea is suitable) to join in your vehicle towards further up and back till Kargil. (Ofcourse paying expenses....)

If it suits your plan, I can think of it.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:39   #398
J.Ravi

I am happy to note your eagerness to do this trip, Sunney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
I will come with my Linea from Cochin, joining you ppl somewhere on GQ, till say Kargil, park Linea (till where Linea is suitable) to join in your vehicle towards further up and back till Kargil.
For Linea, the worst part to cover is from Sonamarg to Zoji La. Once, Zoji La is crossed, then it is smooth-sailing for Linea up to Leh. Similarly, near Khardung La [about 12 km on either side] some bad stretches are there, but nothing comparable to Zoji La. So, there is no need to park your Linea at Kargil. Better, park it at Leh!

Old 19th March 2012, 14:44   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post
I meant to say ' with no signs of AMS, when she was 3'.
Contact rkbharat. He will give you contact of a driver called "Rigzin". I have heard this chap is very experienced, and reliable.
Speaking of AMS, if you are flying into leh, I recommend 3 nights in Leh. Use them for local sight seeing.
Then spend 2 nights in nubra(300mts lower than leh),
Then spend 2 nights around Pangong (4000ms)

In the end spend your Tso moriri nights(coldest).

Many people I know have taken 2-5 year old kids to leh.
So
1. Acclimatize
2. Kids like to run around a lot. Curb that, esp at high altitudes like Khardungla.
3. Keep the kid warm. It gets hot in the afternoon(20+), however, evenings bring in chill(0 degree at night), so warm clothing is a must
3. Keep water intake optimum

All the best for your trip!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 14:47   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Avinash,
I am also planning a tour to the same place, same time.
I am told Sept. is best month, but I may join to any group having a HIGH ground clearance vehicle like yours, because;
I will come with my Linea from Cochin, joining you ppl somewhere on GQ, till say Kargil, park Linea (till where Linea is suitable) to join in your vehicle towards further up and back till Kargil. (Ofcourse paying expenses....)

If it suits your plan, I can think of it.
Hi Sunney.

Nice to know about your interest. Sorry to inform you that we are jam packed in the vehicle. Payload full.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:00   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I am happy to note your eagerness to do this trip, Sunney.

For Linea, the worst part to cover is from Sonamarg to Zoji La. Once, Zoji La is crossed, then it is smooth-sailing for Linea up to Leh. Similarly, near Khardung La [about 12 km on either side] some bad stretches are there, but nothing comparable to Zoji La. So, there is no need to park your Linea at Kargil. Better, park it at Leh!
You are the apt and "Linea-qualified Driver" to advice a Linea to Leh.

Then where should I park, before Sonamarg-Zoji la?
No point in damaging my under-body,(which is sure...) when you already captured the "First Linea' to Leh.

Reaching Leh itself is an adventure.
Sunney is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 16:56   #402
J.Ravi

Quote:
Then where should I park, before Sonamarg-Zoji la?
You can safely park your Linea at JKTDC Alpine Resorts, Sonamarg and continue your journey with others in a SUV. For more photographs of JKTDC, Sonamarg, click here. The dreaded Zoji La is just 12 km from Sonamarg!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 19th March 2012 at 17:04.

Old 19th March 2012, 17:50   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Contact rkbharat. He will give you contact of a driver called "Rigzin". I have heard this chap is very experienced, and reliable.
All the best for your trip!
Dear TSK.

Thanks a ton. Really appreciate your kind reply. I am talking to a guy called Rigzin of wildexp already. I am hoping its the same guy. I'll confirm it with RKBHARAT.

Also thanks a ton on suggestions on the itinerary, will keep in mind your advice.

regards
vimal
Old 20th March 2012, 02:16   #404
BHPian

J.Ravi
Hi August 24th the road was totally closed
On 25th just about reached Sonamarg after scraping the car's bottom at the place where the road was washed out.I was in a Beat.
Were you there on that day at sonamarg then you would have noticed a cocktail green Beat with MH 01 number plates driven by alone by a senior citizen?
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 07:07   #405
Senior - BHPian

My friend and me are planning the entire Kashmir Leg in September 1st week in my Swift Diesel. We do not have many days to spare so we would like to spend most of our time in Kashmir and not travelling to and fro.

So day one we have decided to leave at 1 am in the morning and reach Chandigadh the first day itself.

For rest of the trip, we need help from team-bhpian's planning the places to watch, route and the details out. We are both into photography and is the main agenda for the trip so photographic locations a must.

We also want to go to LOC and advice regarding that is needed !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed