Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 12:45   #436
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Delhi Jammu can be done in a day but I would recommend to do Delhi-Pathankot and stay overnight in Pathankot (cheaper). The leave Pathankot early , pass through the J&K toll gate early and turn right from Dyala Chak straight to Udhampur. Then Udhampur - Srinagar is pretty straightforward . Expect some jams if there is convoy movement and before the Banihal tunnel. The last 70 km into Srinagar after Qazigund is plains so doing this in the dark is not an issue. There is some traffic but not that bad. Bypass Jammu unless you really have to visit

When getting to Zoji La, please ensure that you reach Sonamarg before 10.30 am or so. The army control releases the trucks at exactly 11am and they clog up the entire route. Private cars and jeeps are released 15-20 mins before the trucks and you must be on your way at this time . Whatever you do, don't hit that road after the trucks have been released. They will clog the road for tens of kilometers and god forbid if one breaks down.
zipperone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 12:51   #437
BHPian

For all those planning a trip to Leh and the higher reaches, A car mounted CB radio is a must have. It is a wonderful communication tool between vehicles for emergencies and advance information on the highways. A CB radio can now be bought legally in India and is license free to use anywhere in India. They are very reasonable priced and PM me if you need a radio. They are very easy to install in your car or SUV.
zipperone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 13:08   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
For all those planning a trip to Leh and the higher reaches, A car mounted CB radio is a must have. It is a wonderful communication tool between vehicles for emergencies and advance information on the highways. A CB radio can now be bought legally in India and is license free to use anywhere in India. They are very reasonable priced and PM me if you need a radio. They are very easy to install in your car or SUV.
How much they are for?
Im planning a trip to Leh,by same time, but from down South Kerala.

But the Ham radio is available where not even BSNL is not in range?
Old 13th April 2012, 13:13   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Thanks HVK Sir.

I will be starting on 2nd August from Mumbai so should be in Srinagar around 5th-6th. Will that be OK? Or should I start a day before.

I will be leaving around 3AM so planning to reach just before Delhi on the 1st day. What would be the ideal place? On 2nd and 3rd what should I target?

I can drive 1000+ kms a day and my wife also drives. My concern is doing Srinagar-Leh in Swift.
Never easy Problem nowadays with a 3 am start is that you can get hopelessly traffic-jammed at Ghodbunder where you join NH8 after Borivli/Thane. Doing Delhi in a day means maintaining constant speeds of 100 kmph+, breaks only for refuelling. No food breaks even, else you will lose 1-2 hours in the process. Besides, considering the current state of the Jaipur-Delhi highway, you will also face heavy traffic congestion in the Gurgaon expressway thanks to trucks entering Delhi after 9 pm in the night.

Bombay-Delhi is 1400 kms+ and if you slip up on time here, your overall schedule can get affected. Therefore, I agree - and I do all the time - that Bombay-Delhi in a day is possible, but not without those ifs and buts.

Quote:
Given the choice which month would you prefer Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep cosidering the car and the road conditions?
Give me Sep anyday

Quote:
Normal range of my car is 540-620kms. Bit more if I drive sedately. How much extra fuel I need to carry?
Extra fuel depends on the sectors you will do. You don't need extra fuel on any sector except Kargil-Padum-Kargil, or unless you do complex long circuits like Turtuk-Wari la-Pangong-Chushul-Hanle-Tso M-Keylong. Therefore, plan your extra fuel need after charting your exact route plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post

But the Ham radio is available where not even BSNL is not in range?
Forget mobile connectivity if you are driving to Ladakh

Last edited by hvkumar : 13th April 2012 at 13:14.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 15:23   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Never easy Problem nowadays with a 3 am start is that you can get hopelessly traffic-jammed at Ghodbunder where you join NH8 after Borivli/Thane. Doing Delhi in a day means maintaining constant speeds of 100 kmph+, breaks only for refuelling. No food breaks even, else you will lose 1-2 hours in the process. Besides, considering the current state of the Jaipur-Delhi highway, you will also face heavy traffic congestion in the Gurgaon expressway thanks to trucks entering Delhi after 9 pm in the night.

Bombay-Delhi is 1400 kms+ and if you slip up on time here, your overall schedule can get affected. Therefore, I agree - and I do all the time - that Bombay-Delhi in a day is possible, but not without those ifs and buts.

Ok. So I think I have two options:
1. Day 1 Kandivali - Behror 1300kms (Very Optimistic) - Day 2 Behror-Pathankot 570Kms - Day 3 Pathankot-Srinagr 360Kms
2. Day1 Kandivali - Jaipur 1170Kms - Day 2 Jaipur-Pathankot 700kms - Day 3 Pathankot-Srinagr 360Kms

Is this doabale?

Jaipur/Behor - Pathankot which route should I take? I can start early if I get min 6 hours sleep the night before.
Old 13th April 2012, 22:57   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Ok. So I think I have two options:
1. Day 1 Kandivali - Behror 1300kms (Very Optimistic) - Day 2 Behror-Pathankot 570Kms - Day 3 Pathankot-Srinagr 360Kms
2. Day1 Kandivali - Jaipur 1170Kms - Day 2 Jaipur-Pathankot 700kms - Day 3 Pathankot-Srinagr 360Kms

Is this doabale?

Jaipur/Behor - Pathankot which route should I take? I can start early if I get min 6 hours sleep the night before.
Yes, better plan.
I would bet on Plan 2 above. More doable, also gives you buffer on Day 2 to reach Pathankot. IF you do better on Day 1, you can go beyond Pathankot too. I prefer the Behror halt because it will enable you to cross NCR before it wakes up.

I prefer the Jaipur-Behror-Rewari-Delhi-Panipat-Ambala route. I would avoid the slightly shorter Rewari-Rohtak-Panipat route. NCR is easy to navigate even if you do not know anything about Delhi.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:26   #442
BHPian

Sorry to intrude.
To Srinagar from Mumbai, why go Delhi?
Old 14th April 2012, 19:40   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Sorry to intrude.
To Srinagar from Mumbai, why go Delhi?
You can also turn off at Kishangarh and take the Bhatinda highway via Ladnun, Ratangad, Sardarshahr, Hanumangarh, Abohar, Moga & Jalandhar to avoid both Jaipur & NCR. The Bhatinda highway is a newly-developed SH and has lesser facilities compared with the NH1 through Delhi.
Old 17th April 2012, 22:04   #444
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Leh from Srinagar in June this year. I plan to stay at Pangong to appreciate the sun set (the day we reach) and the sun rise. Is it possible? What are the stay options?
Old 18th April 2012, 13:00   #445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I am planning a trip to Leh from Srinagar in June this year. I plan to stay at Pangong to appreciate the sun set (the day we reach) and the sun rise. Is it possible? What are the stay options?
There are a few structures on the banks of pangong. Sunset will not be special, as pangong will be towards your east/NE
So sunset will be lost behind the mountains.
Sunrise will be better.
Old 19th April 2012, 16:34   #446
BHPian

Guys, do you think Vento TDI can do Leh Laddakh? It is a new car and has done 3140 Kms. Plan to do this trip either in June/August. 2 passengers and respective luggage.
Old 19th April 2012, 17:37   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Guys, do you think Vento TDI can do Leh Laddakh? It is a new car and has done 3140 Kms. Plan to do this trip either in June/August. 2 passengers and respective luggage.
Go through the thread below and you will get your doubt cleared.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...leh-linea.html
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 17:57   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Aniket
Hi
I have done Bombay-Leh-Bombay in a Beat.Did not do any offroading just stuck to plain vanilla route to Leh and back.
If Vento's ground clearance is more then you should be able to do it.But be prepared to take a few hits at the bottom.Drive carefully and you should be alright.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 18:03   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Aniket
Hi
I have done Bombay-Leh-Bombay in a Beat.Did not do any offroading just stuck to plain vanilla route to Leh and back.
If Vento's ground clearance is more then you should be able to do it.But be prepared to take a few hits at the bottom.Drive carefully and you should be alright.
Regards
Vento's GC as per brochure is 168mm.
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 10:36   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Vento's GC as per brochure is 168mm.
While many bhpians have done Leh trip in all kinds of vehicles, you might want to get the doubts cleared by visiting a small discussion on the link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2749986
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed