Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 00:02   #616
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

About one of the side effects of Diamonx, its tingling sensation on your hands. One of the days in Kargil, before reaching Leh, I had taken one tab of Diamox at night. Next day morning the tingling sensation started on my left hand. And then during the day, it moved into the right hand. Though it did not cause much trouble, but its one of the side effects.
souravdebiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 19:04   #617
BHPian

Taking Diamox is always advisable in these places. Only exception being if your doctor says no due to some past medical history. Both my wife n me had a pleasent trip thanks to Diamox- No symptoms of Headache , Nausea etc eveng at Pangong and other high altitude places. Also taking the Srinagar -Kargil route helps as its a gradual climb and helps with aclimatization. I saw few people on my way back from leh to manali getting hit by AMS Symptoms.They were going towards Leh from Manali. One of them had not followed the regular dosage and took a hit. People who fly down directly to leh are at Maximum risk. It is advisable that for a day or two they do not exert themselves. From what i have read about AMS it hits the age group of 15- 25 years the maximum i.e High Risk Category. It also has nothing to do with the fitness level of the individual - Some may disagree with me on this. Havent heard of any drastic side effects with Diamox..... . The fact cant be ignored that almost all drugs have certain sidefeffects and may also develop allergic reactions hence visiting Doc is advisable before starting intake. Drinking lots of water also helps with keeping AMS Away. If AMS hits only solution is to descend.
Swift Express is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 22:09   #618
BHPian

Posting some Pics of Roads at Zozilla Pass. This will give you a latest feel of what to expect. The worst sections of the pass have not been captured as i was bothered about getting out safe. Midway you will come across Paver Blocks road however at many section the road is washed away.

Please note some sections of the Zozilla Pass are Car Killer Sections . Even loaded MPV's and SUV's find the going tough here.

Pic 1 - Sonamarg to Zozilla
Pic 2 - Start of Bad roads . Less bad here
Pic 3 Stpped Midway at Zozilla from 11:00 am to 12:00 noon due to rock blasting for road widening.Start early if you want to avoid this issue.

Pic 4 Paver Block section
Pic 5 Reaching Zozilla Pass
Pic 6 Zozilla Pass - At last
Pic 7 Zozilla to Drass
Pic 8 Drass to Kargil
Attached Thumbnails
Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-sonamarg-zozilla.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-start-bad-roads-zozilla.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-halted-midway-zozilla.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-paver-blocks-sections-zozilla-pass.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-reaching-zozilla-pass.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-zozilla-pass.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-zozilla-drass.jpg  

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-drass-kargil.jpg  

Last edited by Swift Express : 28th June 2012 at 22:13.
Swift Express is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 23:21   #619
BHPian

I didn't know where to put up this question since T-bhpians going to leh must be also knowing about jeeps.
Actually for next year my plans are to go to leh (covering Marsimik and other such terrains) and since I am not much of a biker I thought of getting a pre-owned Jeep 4x4.
Owning one will let me cover other off roading trips too.
I am particular about marsimik or atleast leh, I wanted to know wether old jeeps are suitable to go with or other luxury SUVs (bolero, scorpio) are better? Are old jeeps (maintained well) reliable for such trips.
Old 28th June 2012, 23:41   #620
BHPian

Hi everybody
I saw a board mentioning Zojila pass height 11649.
Is this the highest point of this pass or does it go higher?
Fotu la at 13478: is it the highest point between Kaargil and Leh or is there any point which is higher?
Regards
Old 29th June 2012, 10:17   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
I saw a board mentioning Zojila pass height 11649.
Is this the highest point of this pass or does it go higher?
Fotu la at 13478: is it the highest point between Kaargil and Leh or is there any point which is higher?
Regards
Fotu La Top is the highest point on Srinagar - Leh Highway.
The Zojila Pass Board comes after you climb to the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I didn't know where to put up this question since T-bhpians going to leh must be also knowing about jeeps.
Actually for next year my plans are to go to leh (covering Marsimik and other such terrains) and since I am not much of a biker I thought of getting a pre-owned Jeep 4x4.
Owning one will let me cover other off roading trips too.
I am particular about marsimik or atleast leh, I wanted to know wether old jeeps are suitable to go with or other luxury SUVs (bolero, scorpio) are better? Are old jeeps (maintained well) reliable for such trips.
For Marsimek la pass you will surely need a 4*4 Jeep or 4*4 SUV..... Rest of the passes and terrains SUV's will find it easy. MPV's without much load will manage and Sedans like mine with carefull driving can manage almost. Leh is a relatively easier ride.

Marsimek is the toughest.... cant dream of doing it.. Check out this link.... Very informative. 60Kph - Marsimek-La, The Highest Motorable Pass in the World

Last edited by Swift Express : 29th June 2012 at 10:42.
Swift Express is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 15:48   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Marsimek is the toughest.... cant dream of doing it.. Check out this link.... Very informative.
Hey, thanks for sharing this link - brings back old memories. This article contains link to another one here that talks about my ride to Marsimek La The guy in the 3rd pic doing moonwalk, that's me
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 16:24   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hey, thanks for sharing this link - brings back old memories. This article contains link to another one here that talks about my ride to Marsimek La The guy in the 3rd pic doing moonwalk, that's me
Man Hats of to you..... Taking the Bullet up there is quite an effort. I am sure this one of the memories that is etched in you forever. And thanks again for sharing all the information.

Since you have been there one question Will a 4*4 SUV be able to make it over there. Something like the XUV

Last edited by Swift Express : 29th June 2012 at 16:32.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:54   #624
BHPian

Thanks to the inputs from HVK and everyone here on the forum, we are on the final leg of 30 day tour. We have completed Kashmir Valley and Ladakh Successfully. Was worried about non existent routes in Kashmir and Ladakh but that was only for a 200-300 Kilometers. Otherwise rest are the routes are good. Will post a detailed travelogue starting next week.

Planned to do Spiti Valley, but decided midway to have it as separate trip in the future. Apart for nature this trip also turned out to be a Secular run through some important religious places for us.

Special thanks to IPHE team for the detailed travelogue. I made a pdf of the route done by you guys so that I can read it offline. Devilonwheels blog provided a very detailed information on accommodations. Here is a brief glimpse of planned route and final achieved. Halt places are marked in redLeh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-leh-ladahk-itinerary-planned-achieved-land_page_1.jpg

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-leh-ladahk-itinerary-planned-achieved-land_page_2.jpg

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-leh-ladahk-itinerary-planned-achieved-land_page_3.jpg

Last edited by indian21r : 29th June 2012 at 17:01.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 10:11   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Thanks to the inputs from HVK and everyone here on the forum, we are on the final leg of 30 day tour.

Special thanks to IPHE team for the detailed travelogue. I made a pdf of the route done by you guys so that I can read it offline. Devilonwheels blog provided a very detailed information on accommodations.

IPHE Team Travelogue has become the ultimate Road Trip Travel Guide for Kashmir Ladakh and Other adjoining places. It was of immense help for me also for the trip done in the first half of June-12.

Devilonwheels Blog is the most informative site for travel/accomodation and other general info for Ladakh. He provides details on the latest status of all major roads there.

Gr8 to hear that you have made it back safe n sound. Wishing you endless miles of more of such trips.
Swift Express is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 19:01   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man Hats of to you..... Taking the Bullet up there is quite an effort. I am sure this one of the memories that is etched in you forever.
You bet it is, more so because (as per the ITBP inspector at Phobran post) we were the first civilians to have gone all the way up to M-La

Quote:
And thanks again for sharing all the information.
You are welcome mate!

Quote:
Since you have been there one question Will a 4*4 SUV be able to make it over there. Something like the XUV
Given the track conditions at the point in time when I did the climb, I would say no. As ITBP inspector BP Singh himself said, even their Gypsy's find it hard to make it to the top and they usually patrol the M-Top either on their horses or the Stallions. I doubt if a LWB/2 tonne SUV would be able to make it. But then, it is never about the man OR the machine, it is always the combo that does the trick!

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st July 2012 at 19:03.
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:11   #627

We did Delhi-Manali-Srinagar-Delhi (June 1 to June 8) on Tata Safari 2.2vtt 4wd only with good memories. What can be more fun than driving Safari on the Nubra Sand Dunes, is something we know this time.

Pictures will pop-up soon the beauty of LEH, captured by lens.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:10   #628
Team-BHP Support

We did Zanskar-Ladakh trip recently in our Bolero LX 4wd.
The route was -

Jun 14th - Started from Kolkata at 6 p.m

Jun 16th - Reached Patnitop at 3 p.m (met SSTraveller and souravdebbiswas enroute) - 45 hours non-stop from Kolkata.

Jun 17th - Started from Patnitop and reached Srinagar. Stayed at Gurkha Houseboats.

Jun 18th - Srinagar

Jun 19th - Started from Srinagar and reached Kargil. Stayed at D Zozila

Jun 20th - Started from Kargil and reached Rangdum. Camped at Rangdum

Jun 21st - Started from Rangdum and reached Padum. Camped at Padum

Jun 22nd - Started from Padum and reached Kargil. Stayed at Caravan Sarai

Jun 23rd - Started from Kargil and reached Leh. Stayed at Ladakh Sarai in Saboo village (7 kms from Leh)

Jun 24th - Stayed at Leh and got permits

Jun 25th - Went to Khardung La, but were stopped at South Pullu due to landslide at Khardung La

Jun 26th - Started from Leh and reached Pangong Tso. Visisted Thiksey, Hemis monasteries enroute. Stayed at Pangong Sarai in Man.

Jun 27th - Started from Man, went via Merak Chushul to Mahe. Took the 77Km route from Chushul to Mahe as per the map made by Harshvardhan. Saw two Tsos - Mitpal and Yaye. Crossed the passes Kaksangla Top at 17,8xx feet and Horla at 16,959 feet. The route was marked on the map as strictly 4wd road, but I think a high GC vehicle with good power should be able to make it. We needed 4 low at certain points but that was mostly due to my reluctance to push the car in 2wd mode. Visited Tso Moriri and Tso Kar and halted at Sarchu.

Jun 28th - Started from Sarchu and reached Manali. Stayed at Club Mahindra resort in Manali

Jun 29th - Started from Manali at 11 am and reached Kolkata on Jul 1st at 4 a.m. 41 hours non-stop :-D

Total distance covered - 6,550 Kms. Will try to put up a travelogue soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
About one of the side effects of Diamonx, its tingling sensation on your hands. One of the days in Kargil, before reaching Leh, I had taken one tab of Diamox at night. Next day morning the tingling sensation started on my left hand. And then during the day, it moved into the right hand. Though it did not cause much trouble, but its one of the side effects.
I had Diamox once and had the same feeling and stopped taking after that. Neither my wife nor my friend faced any issue. Thanks for putting this up and now I am sure it was for Diamox and nothing else.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 4th July 2012 at 12:16.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:21   #629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Quote:
Taking Diamox is always advisable in these places. Only exception being if your doctor says no due to some past medical history. Both my wife n me had a pleasent trip thanks to Diamox- No symptoms of Headache , Nausea etc eveng at Pangong and other high altitude places. Also taking the Srinagar -Kargil route helps as its a gradual climb and helps with aclimatization. I saw few people on my way back from leh to manali getting hit by AMS Symptoms.They were going towards Leh from Manali. One of them had not followed the regular dosage and took a hit. People who fly down directly to leh are at Maximum risk. It is advisable that for a day or two they do not exert themselves. From what i have read about AMS it hits the age group of 15- 25 years the maximum i.e High Risk Category. It also has nothing to do with the fitness level of the individual - Some may disagree with me on this. Havent heard of any drastic side effects with Diamox..... . The fact cant be ignored that almost all drugs have certain sidefeffects and may also develop allergic reactions hence visiting Doc is advisable before starting intake. Drinking lots of water also helps with keeping AMS Away. If AMS hits only solution is to descend.
Did you know that its a sulpha drug?
quite a few people have sulpha allergy.
In those people its most useful in curing AMS, because dead people cannot have AMS

Everyone, please do not pop medicines before conforming with a doctor.
And please refrain from giving medical advice when you have no idea about what you are talking about.

Regarding AMS, it can be okay if you ascend slowly, and take it easy. If you are in a rushed trip where you are a man on a mission with deadlines, chances of AMS are higher.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 12:54   #630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Did you know that its a sulpha drug?
quite a few people have sulpha allergy.
In those people its most useful in curing AMS, because dead people cannot have AMS

Everyone, please do not pop medicines before conforming with a doctor.
And please refrain from giving medical advice when you have no idea about what you are talking about.

Regarding AMS, it can be okay if you ascend slowly, and take it easy. If you are in a rushed trip where you are a man on a mission with deadlines, chances of AMS are higher.
Good lord that I stopped taking Diamox. I do have allergy to sulpha drugs and I did not know that Diamox is a sulpha drug.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed