Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:12   #661
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
For a Ladakh trip from Bangalore, is this onward route optimal? The return route is not decided yet but we dont want to return the same route. We have around 12 to 14 days in hand to return to Bangalore.
(the sections are just NH wise, not day wise).

NH4:Bangalore - Chitradurga - Hubli - Kolhapur - Pune - Mumbai
NH8:Mumbai - Vadodara - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Rewari
NH71: Rewari - Rohtak - Ambala - NH1 - Ludhiana - Jalandhar - NH1A - Pathankot - Srinagar
NH1D: Srinagar - Leh - Manali - Chandigarh - (NH21A,22,1) - Ambala - New Delhi

From the maps, I saw the Rewari - Ambala stretch good to bye-pass Delhi. We have no business in Mumbai or Delhi and want a smooth drive to J&K.

Expert advise please.
When are you leaving? I'm most probably going to hit the roads on Friday night from Blore.

I'm taking the BLR-Mumbai-Udaipur-Sujangarh-Sardarshahr-Hanumangarh-Abohar - Amritsar - Pathankot - Srinagar route.

Any clues on whether this would be better or worse than your chosen route? I can go either ways based on feedback on road conditions and average speeds that can be maintained.
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:11   #662
BHPian

Hi everybody
Last August I followed suggestion of HVK and went via Hanumangarh-Fazilka-Ferozpur-Zira-Amritsar-Batala-Gurdaspur-Pathankot-Udhampur-Patnitop(bypassed Jammu and took the so called defense road,deserted so dont drive at night)
Except for a 5 km stretch at Zira the road is good all along.
Someone recently posted on a different forum,that it is better to take the Jammu road rather than defense road.Please let somebody else guide you on this particular section.
The entire route has good amenities.
In case you need hotel references please ask.
Regards
Old 25th July 2012, 09:57   #663
BHPian

Dear Amolpol - I will be leaving on Aug 11th.

I will check your route in the maps. These routes are new to me, so not sure what is better or worse...

Pls keep updating this thread or PM after you've reached Jammu, would be good to know what are current conditions. Pls also PM your email id or number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
When are you leaving? I'm most probably going to hit the roads on Friday night from Blore.

I'm taking the BLR-Mumbai-Udaipur-Sujangarh-Sardarshahr-Hanumangarh-Abohar - Amritsar - Pathankot - Srinagar route.

Any clues on whether this would be better or worse than your chosen route? I can go either ways based on feedback on road conditions and average speeds that can be maintained.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:41   #664
BHPian

Hi everybody
Yesterday I read somewhere that it is better to avoid Pathankot and take the Lakhanpur route.
Not too sure what he meant as I had driven through Pathankot and stayed the night there.
Regards
Old 25th July 2012, 15:30   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
This stretch is a brezee to drive. In a Innova we comfortably did 900kms in day from Pune to Udaipur. If you have faster car then you can easily do upto 1200 km without much struggle (preferably 2 drivers). As we were 3 drivers we were just swapping places. except for a few pockets of 10 km, rest of the road is smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Last August I followed suggestion of HVK and went via Hanumangarh-Fazilka-Ferozpur-Zira-Amritsar-Batala-Gurdaspur-Pathankot-Udhampur-Patnitop(bypassed Jammu and took the so called defense road,deserted so dont drive at night)
We bypassed Jammu to go directly to Katra on 5th June this year. The road was NH44 bypass (Nagrota Bypass) which was having heavy traffic. We could not even overtake. Are we taking about the same route?
Old 25th July 2012, 15:50   #666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
We bypassed Jammu to go directly to Katra on 5th June this year. The road was NH44 bypass (Nagrota Bypass) which was having heavy traffic. We could not even overtake. Are we taking about the same route?
There are 2 bypass which allow you to skip Jammu, and go straight to Srinagar
1. Dyala chak - Narrow, remote, low traffic
2. Samba - Relatively heavier traffic, and wider roads.

When Amarnath Yatra is on, Samba bypass is a mess. However, after August 2, expect little traffic even on the Samba bypass.
After 15th August, tourist season wanes in Kashmir, and roads are relatives free
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 16:04   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are 2 bypass which allow you to skip Jammu, and go straight to Srinagar
1. Dyala chak - Narrow, remote, low traffic
2. Samba - Relatively heavier traffic, and wider roads.

When Amarnath Yatra is on, Samba bypass is a mess. However, after August 2, expect little traffic even on the Samba bypass.
After 15th August, tourist season wanes in Kashmir, and roads are relatives free
I was talking about just bypassing Jammu city. But the route you and faustus77 are talking about meets Udahmpur directly. This almost 40-50 km before Jammu. Since we were doing Katra, we went via Jammu city bypass. We did NH44 for the whole stretch

Thanks for clearing that up
Old 25th July 2012, 20:37   #668
BHPian

Indian21r
Hi
I was talking about the route from Pathankot which goes over the Ranji sagar dam and the defense road(pretty devoid of traffic) straight to Udhampur.
I dont have a GPS.Just stick my neck out and ask.
So wouldnt know what to call it.
Regards
PS:Petrol is cheaper in J&K
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 11:58   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Indian21r
Hi
I was talking about the route from Pathankot which goes over the Ranji sagar dam and the defense road(pretty devoid of traffic) straight to Udhampur.
I dont have a GPS.Just stick my neck out and ask.
So wouldnt know what to call it.
Regards
PS:Petrol is cheaper in J&K
My mistake, I was thinking of Jammu city bypass, and you more less bypassed Jammu district itself

Inspite of having GPS, we still stuck our neck a lot of times. And the best part in India is when you ask how far, you get the answer with time

By the way a small attempt on my side to giveback for help I got around here,my travelogue to Leh / Ladakh. I am not much of a writer and I have not written any thing in ages. Any the travelogue till now includes drive from Hyderabad to Srinagar with the road conditions present as on June 2012. Most of the roads are really nice wonderful roads to drive. Will be adding more as I get time. Hope it is helpful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-vimanam.html
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 16:59   #670
BHPian

Hello!

I am thinking of doing a Delhi - Leh in a Chevrolet Beat. Considering the size of the car, I am not expecting any company beyond Manali. Before I go through the maps and the finer details, I would like to know if this is do-able. What sort of precautions and preparation would my car need. Also, it is a Petrol with 25k on the ODO. I know everyone will suggest I go through the travelogues, but before that I need to be sure my car can do this. I am 25 so I can't afford an SUV for now and this car is the only option. My heart says it will pull it off, my mind says you got to be kidding yourself. Looking forward to your feedback. Some gentleman did this stretch in a Maruti Ritz if I am not mistaken.
Old 29th July 2012, 01:28   #671
BHPian

AbhishekB86
Hi
You may remember that I had posted that I did Bombay-Srinagar-Leh-Srinagar-Bombay in a Beat.
Just a few hits after Sonamarg as the road was washed away.Nothing serious.
Regarding Manali I am not too sure as I met some people in Drass whose Ikon got stuck at Rohtang and had to be pulled out by a crane.They had to come back all the way via Srinagar
This year the monsoon is less active so it could be a lesser problem.
Go via Srinagar and play it by the ear and ask around in Leh and then decide.
Remember there are no Chevy dealers north of Srinagar and Mandi.
I have not done the Leh Manali route so cant guide you any better
Regards

Indian21R
Hi.
On a different forum read that just bypassing Jammu(and not the way I had done)is a good option.This road has now become good.
Please post when are you leaving and maybe I can dig out more information for you.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 29th July 2012 at 01:34.
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 20:15   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hello!

I am thinking of doing a Delhi - Leh in a Chevrolet Beat. Considering the size of the car, I am not expecting any company beyond Manali. Before I go through the maps and the finer details, I would like to know if this is do-able. What sort of precautions and preparation would my car need. Also, it is a Petrol with 25k on the ODO. I know everyone will suggest I go through the travelogues, but before that I need to be sure my car can do this. I am 25 so I can't afford an SUV for now and this car is the only option. My heart says it will pull it off, my mind says you got to be kidding yourself. Looking forward to your feedback. Some gentleman did this stretch in a Maruti Ritz if I am not mistaken.
Tata Nano's have done this circuit. Beat will not take a beating and will easily do it. In Fact i feel Hatchbacks stand a better chance than the Sedans. I did the trip in a Vento this year June-12.Zojila Pass is in Bad shape, need to drive dead slow. Be mindfull of the Oil/Engine Sump. Rohatang Pass after climb and towards Jispa lot of slush with hidden stones. Moore Plains watch out for the diversions which will take you through loose gravel/sand. All the best. Plan and prepare well for the trip and you will be through

Note from Mod : Please DO NOT type like...... Please use proper punctuation and para breaks. Next time will attract infraction. Thanks for cooperation.

Last edited by GTO : 30th July 2012 at 21:01.
Swift Express is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 06:48   #673
BHPian

[quote=AbhishekB86;2854683]Hello! I am thinking of doing a Delhi - Leh in a Chevrolet Beat. I would like to know if this is do-able.QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Tata Nano's have done this circuit ...... Beat will not take a beating and will easily do it. In Fact i feel Hatchbacks stand a better chance than the Sedans. I did the trip in a Vento this year June-12.Zojila Pass is in Bad shadpe... Need to drive dead slow.... Be mindfull of the Oil/Engine Sump.... Rohatang Pass after climb and towards Jispa lot of slush with hidden stones.... Moore Plains watch out for the diversions which will take you through loose gravel/sand...All the best Plan and prepare well for the trip and you will be through... All the best
I have seen people do this circuit in all types of cars. 800 to city to laura. So no problem on that end. I completely agree with what Swift express has said. You have to be a little cautious near the diversions on NH near more plains. Zoji la there is no road for around 5kms or so, but it can be managed comfortably. Rhotang, we found it to be ok, but as work is going on, there will be plenty of people to help you out even if you are stuck.Infact here we were going along with an Alto which did the stretch with ease.

That is June 2012 status for you.

Quote:
AbhishekB86
Indian21R
Hi.
On a different forum read that just bypassing Jammu(and not the way I had done)is a good option.This road has now become good.
Please post when are you leaving and maybe I can dig out more information for you.
Regards
Thanks Faustus, we already did the trip in June. The stretch bypassing Jammu city is really neat, just that it has heavy traffic and road widening is going on.
Old 1st August 2012, 06:59   #674
BHPian

I got stopped by the police when attempting the road from Samba to Udhampur. They insisted that the road is bad and that I should take the Jammu bypass only. When I told him that bad roads were not an issue with the Safari, he went on to tell me some incident where some 10-15 people were killed in an accident, sounded more like the regular gyaan they give but I didnt want to challenge it for obvious reasons.

The bypass road is good but full with traffic and average speeds were less than 40kph. Jammu-Srinagar was the longest 300kms I drove in my trip so far and that too on good roads.

And for what it's worth, there was police checking at Anantnag for sunfilms and they had a DSP posted there just for that. They stripped off the window films in no time from my Safari and fined me 250 for it. But the overall conversation was not displeasing at all, I must say they had the right attitude for the job. It was an informed choice I had made to leave the film on, so there are no regrets!
Old 1st August 2012, 07:14   #675
BHPian

Thank you sir. Is there anything specific you did with your car to make it able to withstand the underbody hits? Also, did you do away with the stock wheels ?
Quote:
AbhishekB86
Hi
You may remember that I had posted that I did Bombay-Srinagar-Leh-Srinagar-Bombay in a Beat.

I have not done the Leh Manali route so cant guide you any better
Regards
Thank you swift express That is indeed giving me a lot of confidence. Shall watch out for More Plains and Zojila pass. In fact, is their any travelogue of the Tato Nano doing this circuit? I would love to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Tata Nano's have done this circuit. Beat will not take a beating and will easily do it. In Fact i feel Hatchbacks stand a better chance than the Sedans. I did the trip in a Vento this year June-12.Zojila Pass is in Bad shape, need to drive dead slow. Be mindfull of the Oil/Engine Sump. Rohatang Pass after climb and towards Jispa lot of slush with hidden stones. Moore Plains watch out for the diversions which will take you through loose gravel/sand.
.[/b]
Thank you Indian21r. Now to somehow plan it. Thanks for the heads up on the road conditions, shall watch out. Good to know the Beat will be able to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I have seen people do this circuit in all types of cars. 800 to city to laura. So no problem on that end. I completely agree with what Swift express has said. You have to be a little cautious near the diversions on NH near more plains. Zoji la there is no road for around 5kms or so, but it can be managed comfortably. Rhotang, we found it to be ok, but as work is going on, there will be plenty of people to help you out even if you are stuck.Infact here we were going along with an Alto which did the stretch with ease.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks