Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 23:36   #796
BHPian

Have been to Leh last year at the start of the season when the roads are at it worst! No problem with any thing but I had a puncture on way back via Manali and had to repair the tyre myself, so need to make yourself familiar with this things. You can use the puncture resistant solution but still it's good to know about your car when you venture for Leh !

-Pramod
Old 9th March 2013, 01:52   #797
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Wow,so many cars from bangalore! Please count me in tentatively

I'll be coming in my Polo Diesel, and the dates are completely ok with me. Will let you know if i'll have any vacant seats.
Old 11th March 2013, 10:09   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
Hi All,

One query to folks who have done Leh/Ladakh in their Yetis already, how did u find the handling of the yeti on those tough terrain? Was Yeti able to give enough confidence to drive on those tracks? I have driven the Yeti so far on the plains and highways and planning to do Ladakh during Aug this year and also thinking of driving down from Bangalore, hence seeking your suggestions. Also would appreciate if folks could advise if a person like me who cant even change the fuses on his own manage on such remote terrains on my own as I will be basically be travelling with family without anyone who has a fair bit of knowledge on basic things like changing fuse/filtes, fixing punctures.etc. Please provide your suggestions, thanks!

Thanks,
Sid
Sid, your Yeti can definitely do the circuit, if I am going to attempt in my family sedan Tata Manza, you can bring your Yeti eyes closed

I would suggest, visit Skoda service center, tell them you are going to Ladakh and hence want to learn some of the basic things like changing fuses. Also, practice a few tire changes as well. Changing tires with the correct equipment would not cost you much energy which definitely will be at a premium up there. Tools like a hydraulic jack is definitely a must have and easier than the OEM jack.

Also, if you are planning from Bangalore join us, we are going to start on 24th Aug and we are already 4 cars from the city with further 4-5 cars joining us in Lonavala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Wow,so many cars from bangalore! Please count me in tentatively

I'll be coming in my Polo Diesel, and the dates are completely ok with me. Will let you know if i'll have any vacant seats.
Shashank tentative? Is it the leaves? Anyhow I saw you joining the FB group, hope you can join.
Old 11th March 2013, 11:48   #799
BHPian

Isn't there anyone from Delhi? I am thinking of doing this mid August in my Chevy Beat and would love to drive with fellow BHPians. I might do this solo if my friends back out.

EDIT : Should I go for a metal sheet to protect the underbody from hits? Please advise.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 11th March 2013 at 11:50.
Old 11th March 2013, 19:31   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post

EDIT : Should I go for a metal sheet to protect the underbody from hits? Please advise.
I came across a similar thread on www.bcmtouring.com. This was regarding Sump Guards.

There are specific workshops in Delhi which provide for Sump Guards and underbody protection for sedans and hatchbacks. They generally prepare cars for rally driving.

They however may be slightly expensive.

It appears to be cheaper to get an aluminium sheet, about 3 millimetre, get it cut to size, cover it on the vehicle side with fire resistant foam or yoga mats and get it bolted on. It would cost you about 3000 rupees approximately.

Your ground clearance would reduce by about 3 mm, so you would take some hits, but you would be better protected in the vital areas.

That said and done, people have even done Leh in a stock Chevrolet Spark.

However I deemed it prudent to leave my Honda city home and attempt the Leh circuit in a Scorpio. I plan to do it in early June and one of my friends from Delhi is joining me with his Maanza. He is planning to get some underbody protection as described above with the help of his local mechanic.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck and have a safe journey.
prabhatshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 20:28   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
I came across a similar thread on www.bcmtouring.com. This was regarding Sump Guards.

There are specific workshops in Delhi which provide for Sump Guards and underbody protection for sedans and hatchbacks. They generally prepare cars for rally driving.

They however may be slightly expensive.

It appears to be cheaper to get an aluminium sheet, about 3 millimetre, get it cut to size, cover it on the vehicle side with fire resistant foam or yoga mats and get it bolted on. It would cost you about 3000 rupees approximately.

Your ground clearance would reduce by about 3 mm, so you would take some hits, but you would be better protected in the vital areas.

That said and done, people have even done Leh in a stock Chevrolet Spark.

However I deemed it prudent to leave my Honda city home and attempt the Leh circuit in a Scorpio. I plan to do it in early June and one of my friends from Delhi is joining me with his Maanza. He is planning to get some underbody protection as described above with the help of his local mechanic.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck and have a safe journey.
Hey Prabhat,

Thanks a ton Aluminium sheet seems more practical from a logistical point of view keeping in mind I am on a limited budget. However I am not very clear on the foam/yoga mat suggestion, could you please explain that in a little detail. So the foam/mat come in between the sheet and the body of the car? Please clarify.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:06   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Shashank tentative? Is it the leaves? Anyhow I saw you joining the FB group, hope you can join.
Yes, and a whole lot of other reasons as well. The thing is I can confirm only towards the last week of July, so put in my entry as tentative. I'll try my best to do this journey, just hope a month's notice will be enough to make it to the group and of course for all the preparations.
Old 12th March 2013, 00:46   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
However I am not very clear on the foam/yoga mat suggestion, could you please explain that in a little detail. So the foam/mat come in between the sheet and the body of the car? Please clarify.
You stick the foam or yoga mat to one side of the sheet, the side facing the car.

As per the experts the foam or mat if kept between the sheet and car acts as a buffer or shock absorber and when the sheet is hit from below reduces the impact of the sheet to the vehicle and thus prevents or reduces damage to other parts.

It also acts as a sound dampener and reduces squeaky noises by the sheet movements if any or rubbing of the sheet against vehicle parts.

Ideally at least the engine sump and the fuel tank should be covered. If you ground and damage the differential it would be real bad, otherwise this should protect you from all underbody hits quite nicely.
I reckon the beat has a ground clearance of about 165 mm. You should be fine with at least 160 mm after this.

Read about somebody completing the Leh circuit in a Laura. Had plenty of underbody hits but the skid plates and the sump guard held up well. Its a pity Chevrolet and Honda do not find it necessary to provide
such useful equipment for their Indian cars though I am sure that they would be providing that in other countries.
prabhatshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 10:08   #804
BHPian

Sorry guys, bad news. I won't be able to make it this year. It was easy getting boss's approval at office but home minister rejected the offer . Guess need to try getting her consent from now for the next year's trip. In the meanwhile will surely learn more about the car and stay prepared.
Old 12th March 2013, 11:57   #805
Senior - BHPian

I know this may have been discussed umpteen times and also elsewhere on net. However, I just want some opinion on the prospect I am thinking below from the gurus. HVK, ADC and other gurus and anybody having done something like this please advice.

I was planning to take on this tour with my 1.5 yrs old kiddo. I have read that even the teens get down by the atmospheric changes. Is it sensible at all to think about it? What special care should be taken, if at all it is possible?
Old 12th March 2013, 15:40   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I know this may have been discussed umpteen times and also elsewhere on net. However, I just want some opinion on the prospect I am thinking below from the gurus. HVK, ADC and other gurus and anybody having done something like this please advice.

I was planning to take on this tour with my 1.5 yrs old kiddo. I have read that even the teens get down by the atmospheric changes. Is it sensible at all to think about it? What special care should be taken, if at all it is possible?
Traveling with kids isn't really an issue since most of the times they can adjust to the altitude changes better than grown ups. However, just as a precautionary measure, your kid should be atleast old enough to tell you if he/she is feeling uneasy so that you can take evasive actions. At 1.5yrs, I don't think your kid would have developed enough speech abilities to be able to communicate effectively in case of any trouble.

I have done the trip with my daughter when she was about 2.5yrs and there were no issues with her adjusting to the altitude or the cold. However, I don't think you can use this as a benchmark since I'm sure even younger kids should be able to do it as well. The only thing to watch for is changes in their reactions to regular events, whether they're looking dull, eating habits, constipation, vomiting, breathlessness etc to be potential signs of AMS at their age. The key is to keep them hydrated well at all times, and not to feed them stuff that is heavy to digest etc.

If you take all the precautions by anticipating situations that may arise, you should be fine. AMS is dangerous only in a fraction of cases and can be easily treated in most cases if you get some medical attention quickly once symptoms are observed.

Here's what I'd recommend for such high altitude trips with kids:

- General checkup done by your favorite doctor before the trip to make sure he/she is fit enough to go through some rough days
- Enough stock of bottled drinking water
- 200ml Tetra packs of Juices & Milk
- Biscuits, chocolates in plenty (even bananas if they're fond of it)
- Regular medicines for cough/cold/fever etc
- ORS sachets
- Woolen inners/sweaters/caps/gloves etc
- Let them play but not run around too much to go out of breath
- Sleeping bag/blankets

Finally, the key to having a good trip is to enjoy it with them and not be too worried all the time.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 16:11   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Traveling...
Finally, the key to having a good trip is to enjoy it with them and not be too worried all the time.
Thanks a ton Amol. You have put it absolutely wonderfully and it gives me just what I was looking for, extremely useful. A 1.5 yr old is surely not able to tell anything as such and we will have to keep a constant watch on any symptoms. However, your experience with your 2.5 yrs kid gives me quite an assurance. Let me see if the family will be now ready to venture with all this context. Thanks again.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:12   #808
BHPian

Hey Abhishek count me in.
I am also planning with friends this year. May hop in with another bhpian.
What say!?!
Old 13th March 2013, 13:24   #809
BHPian

Guys one more check - is anyone coming along with family? i feel guilty when i am saying "i am going alone" to my family. (my son is 3.5 years old)

Last edited by Tushargohil : 13th March 2013 at 13:28.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:46   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Hey Abhishek count me in.
I am also planning with friends this year. May hop in with another bhpian.
What say!?!
Sounds perfect

What dates are you looking at? I will try and convince samarth.bhatia to come as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks