Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:40   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh 2011 - May/June - Trip Planner

Hi

I will like to highlight few things , but have you read actual road trips of fellow members or planned on google maps ?

Kindly go through this travel post - I was accompanying HVK and driving Pajero - at that time I was not member of this portal and joined HVK & Team from Gurgaon

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...humbleh-d.html

Quote:
June 4th - Day 1 - Bangalore -> Virar (NH4 to Mumbai and NH8 to Virar - 1027 Kms - estimated time 14-15 hrs rotated between 2 drivers )
June 5th - Day 2 - Virar->Jaipur-> (NH8 - 1108 Kms - 15 Hrs)
about 2200 Kms in 2 days ? no doubt Roads are good but it will be very difficult - better target Udaipur instead of Jaipur .

Quote:
June 6th - Day 3 - Jaipur->Kud/Patnitop (it will be tough drive) by pass
Practically not possible - NH 1 is in bad shape Panipat onwards and so is NH 8 as both are been widened - Jaipur - Delhi is going to take you not less than 5 hours can be even more depending on time you start from Jaipur and that too after driving after 30 Hours , even if you start a fresh you cant reach Patnitop in less than 12 hours from delhi so better plan

Day 3 - Udaipur - Delhi or Karnal

Day 4 - Delhi / Karnal - PatniTop

Quote:
June 7th - Day 4 - Kud/Patnitop - Srinagar, Stay near Dal Lake,
Day 5 - Patni top - Srinagar / Sonmarg

How about stay in House Boats ? you can sped some time at Sonmarg next day on way to Kargil ..

Quote:
June 8th - Day 5 - Sonmarg - kargil,
Day 6 - Srinagar - Kargil - leave early to avoid traffic jam of Zozilla pass !

Quote:
June 9th - Day 6 - Kargil - Rangdum relaxed drive
Relaxed Drive - Do you have any idea of the roads or do these even exist ? Where will you plan to stay in Rangdum ? Yes there is a 5 star hotel in the travel log - do check the photos on pg 8

June 10th - Day 7 - Rangdum - Padum relaxed drive

Even Difficult terrain

June 11th - Day 8 - Padum - Lamayuru relaxed drive

I am not aware of This route

HVK Sir : If you are reading this - Is this a new road - I recollect we saw some BRO guys on new road to Leh - Is this the same ?

+ any plans for this Year ?

Rest seems to be OK - .. Enjoy your trip
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
well, you are planning to I guess, sorry I went ahead and thought you already had
Well that's a very old post and much water has flowed through the Ganges between that. I do have a 4X4 now but a different one. Check out my ownership thread.

@Turbanator/Rajvinder: Yes planning is on for this year as well. Will loop you in .
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Yes planning is on for this year as well. Will loop you in ...
How many people joining for Leh entourage? Is there any thread running or is it being planned offline? Well, I do not have 4X4 but I have 4X2 Safari and initially I was planning for 2011 for Leh trip. But due to some occupancy I postponed it to 2012.

But looking at entourage plan in August/September I am thinking hard. Anybody from Bangalore joining for this trip?
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Great initiative, Anyone "groups of guys" from Delhi apart from "V&V and family" joining the group ? Eager to join the group.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:51   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
Anupam,

I have similar plans in mind. I will be starting from Cochin in first week of May. Similar package: two kids, wifey and me. Confirmed upto Rajastan, depending upon condition will decide to go further. Glad to know that somebody is taking the similar route at the same time. Will be watching for your posts.

Anuj
Hi Anuj, I am not much of a blogger, so not much posts will come from my side

when are you passing through this region, I tried sending you a PM, but looks like you do not have the previlage yet

can u try to PM me? am not sure how else to share our contacts

Last edited by Anupam : 3rd May 2011 at 14:54.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:58   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You have a reliable ride and you have experience driving long distance. I suggest you do a self drive to Leh.
However, the date you have chosen is a little problematic.
8th may means you will have to go via Srinagar Leh highway.

Its still not open, and was supposed to open first week of may. But its still snowing up there, and highway opening may be delayed.

That said, just after the highway opens, its usually in a very bad shape. Esp Zoji La.
I think you are timing it with your kids summer vacations or something? In that case I suggest it will be great if you delay it to 20th may or something.

If highway does not open your plan will go for a toss.

If you cannot alter your dates, then I suggest you take a flight to Leh, and take a cab there.
For such large number of people package deal will work out to be very expensive.

I suggest you book an A-grade hotel on your own(1000-1200/night/room), and then shop around in the market for an innova qualis. Bargain hard, and you will get a good package deal.

You can visit Nubra/Pangong/Tso moriri with extra days you have at hand now, and spend more time there.

However, if you must drive yourself(which I recommend) do this trip end August/early september. If thats not possible postpone it to 20th May or something beyond that.
hey!! thanks tsk1979, your guess is accurate, the dates are not flexible
due to leaves for all members, school offices etc.

yes, through srinagar it has to be, mostly i am goiing to break the journey in Delhi as thats our family HQ, so will round up the situation after I reach Delhi
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:13   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Great initiative, Anyone "groups of guys" from Delhi apart from "V&V and family" joining the group ? Eager to join the group.
convergence can happen in Delhi, I am going to take a break in delhi, so will have the flexibility to join a planned convoy
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Practically not possible - NH 1 is in bad shape Panipat onwards and so is NH 8 as both are been widened - Jaipur - Delhi is going to take you not less than 5 hours can be even more depending on time you start from Jaipur and that too after driving after 30 Hours , even if you start a fresh you cant reach Patnitop in less than 12 hours from delhi so better plan

Day 6 - Srinagar - Kargil - leave early to avoid traffic jam of Zozilla pass !

June 11th - Day 8 - Padum - Lamayuru relaxed drive

I am not aware of This route

HVK Sir : If you are reading this - Is this a new road - I recollect we saw some BRO guys on new road to Leh - Is this the same ?

+ any plans for this Year ?
I entirely agree with Turbonator - NH1 north of Delhi is never an easy drive, especially with heavy day traffic and road widening work. For those inclined to do so, best is to take this Delhi-Pathankot sector by night to avoid most of the traffic.

Please bear in mind that the check post timings at Sonmarg towards Zoji la are at 830 am and 2 pm, hence be there well before then. Ideally take the morning convoy so that you can comfortably reach Kargil.

It is impossible to do Padum-Lamayuru in 1 day, reaching Kargil itself is quite a task. Incidentally, the Kargil-Padum road opens the last in the Ladakh sector and in the first couple of weeks, virtually impassable for none but teh sturdy local taxis, especially in the Purkichey-Pensi la sector. Hence, those planning to drive to Zanskar Valley - easily teh worst roads of Ladakh the rest of Ladakh will look angelic and superb roads!) may note to have lots of uncertainty on this route in May./JUne and also time delays. The new route from Padum to Nimmu is still not ready AFAIK. IN any case, there is no direct road from Padum to Lamayuru.

Turbonator, yes indeed, there is a plan for Aug-Sep this year too. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:32   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
convergence can happen in Delhi, I am going to take a break in delhi, so will have the flexibility to join a planned convoy
Will look forward to have such convergences
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:39   #85
BHPian

So many plans have been made and given up for trips to Leh.
Yet another one is being cooked up for end of August/ early September road trip to Leh. This time with much greater resolve.
Right now, the plan is to start from Delhi and take the Srinagar - Kargil - Leh route, and return via Manali. The complete route plan and the stop-overs are being worked out, while trying to maintain the core group which (as expected) has seen a lot of churn.

While I am excited about the trip, there is still a lingering doubt about driving on such heights, considering I have little experience of driving in the hills. Anyone out there who can put the doubts to rest?
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
While I am excited about the trip, there is still a lingering doubt about driving on such heights, considering I have little experience of driving in the hills. Anyone out there who can put the doubts to rest?
The only way the doubt can be put to rest is by driving in the hills. All you need is patience. Start once and there is no looking back.

Remember a kid doesn't start walking straight out of mother's womb. It only starts walking after numerous falls.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:08   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It only starts walking after numerous falls.

@MC: Could you please be a little less macabre and not talk about numerous falls and starting to walk subsequently, when driving up mountains?
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:36   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yes indeed, there is a plan for Aug-Sep this year too. Let me know your thoughts.
Hello HVK sir

Always ready , but I will suggest you to have some kind of entry fee for confirmed participants which may be later adjusted with food / expenses on way so that members take this seriously else we will find a long list in beginning gradually reducing near start of expedition and please we need some extra days for rest / sightseeing on way - you just cant drive past Dal Lake or stop in Sonmarg for lunch .. and any different route that you have thought ? i have heard we can go further than towards Siachen base camp ?
Old 4th May 2011, 01:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have heard we can go further than towards Siachen base camp ?
Am sure this is the part that quite a few of us would like to hear
Old 4th May 2011, 02:15   #90
BHPian

Quote:
i have heard we can go further than towards Siachen base camp ?
Quote:
Am sure this is the part that quite a few of us would like to hear
The road opened up last year upto Turtuk which is the last point an Indian civilian can go up north. The road was done up and had no issues as per the report I got from some friends who rode up there last july. However, what I also heard was that this could be done just as an achievement value and that it really didnt have any breathtaking views etc. Also, since its so brand new, there arent any tourist friendly places as well so pls go prepared to rough it out if need be.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks