Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 13:34   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

The M800 & the Alto are the most popular cars within Ladakh.
Thank you sir . Is simple service of the car enough before going or is there anything else that I need to take care before heading towards leh.
Old 7th May 2013, 21:11   #902
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Just got the info that cameras are being confiscated at Loma Check post. So if you are going to Hanle, no pictures please!
The adminstration up there gets weirder and weirder day by day! And Hanle is actually quite far away from the LAC.
Or maybe there is some security installation hidden in the milky way they do not want us to see?
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 12:41   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Just got the info that cameras are being confiscated at Loma Check post. So if you are going to Hanle, no pictures please!
The adminstration up there gets weirder and weirder day by day! And Hanle is actually quite far away from the LAC.
Or maybe there is some security installation hidden in the milky way they do not want us to see?
So you cant take pictures in Hanle? Or is it only if you have the camera's outside the bag when you pass the check post? I don't know how they can catch u if you take pictures stopping on the road since most of these places are deserted.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:43   #904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So you cant take pictures in Hanle? Or is it only if you have the camera's outside the bag when you pass the check post? I don't know how they can catch u if you take pictures stopping on the road since most of these places are deserted.
They search your bags for cameras at Loma Check post approx 70kms before Hanle. MY friend got approval after pleading with DIG. They are worried about media personnel going and taking pictures. So if you can convince them you are not "Agar aap so rahe hain to Jaag Jao" brigade, you should be okay.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:46   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They search your bags for cameras at Loma Check post approx 70kms before Hanle. MY friend got approval after pleading with DIG. They are worried about media personnel going and taking pictures. So if you can convince them you are not "Agar aap so rahe hain to Jaag Jao" brigade, you should be okay.
Lol this is really funny, i guess carrying a company ID should be good enough to tell them that I am not from "Aaj Ki Taaza Khabar" types
Old 8th May 2013, 19:50   #906
BHPian

Hello guys, futher to my several queries, we have now decided that we want to travel from Leh - Pangong - Tso Moriri - Manali as part of our return since coming back the same way we go will be boring. However, we are unable to get any clear responses on the road condition between Pangong and Tso Moriri. Some say there is a broken path and is not motorable. Others say it is do-able. Most suggest to take the road via Loma/Chushul. Any advise from those who have been there done that? Could a MM Jeep (with 4x4) handle this terrain? We will be going in a convoy of 2-3 Jeeps. Also, I heard about this place called Marisimek La which is supposed to be higher than Khardung La. Can Jeeps go there? Please do let me know!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 8th May 2013, 19:59   #907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hello guys, futher to my several queries, we have now decided that we want to travel from Leh - Pangong - Tso Moriri - Manali as part of our return since coming back the same way we go will be boring. However, we are unable to get any clear responses on the road condition between Pangong and Tso Moriri. Some say there is a broken path and is not motorable. Others say it is do-able. Most suggest to take the road via Loma/Chushul. Any advise from those who have been there done that? Could a MM Jeep (with 4x4) handle this terrain? We will be going in a convoy of 2-3 Jeeps. Also, I heard about this place called Marisimek La which is supposed to be higher than Khardung La. Can Jeeps go there? Please do let me know!

Cheers!
Rohan
Pangong to Tso moriri through loma may not be possible as chushul permits are being denied.
So you have to follow
Pangong-Chang la-Upshi-Mahe-Tso moriri route which takes 12 hours in a SUV.
Speaking of jeeps, the biggest issue you will find with older jeeps is overheating, just make sure your cooling system is in top order.
As for Marsimik La, same issue, no chance of permits for that.
If you are looking for excitement(off roading)
Take this route from leh to Pangong
Leh-Sarkti(called shakti)-Wari La - Agham village - Shyok village-Tangste-Pangong.

Agham shyok road has river crossings, and is very rocky, and requires use of 4WD, as opposed to other routes which are doable in 2WD fine.

That said, my account of Marsimik La done in a 4x4 Safari
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1496091

For Agham Shyok road, refer to following travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1948538
A video

You can also try breaking my record for the hill at magnetic hill signboard site. If nobody has broken it till now. Till 2012 October, my record was intact

Since you are in jeeps, you will find lots of opportunities on Manali Leh road also. Take little known tracks heading here and there and try to climb every hill

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th May 2013 at 20:05.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 00:19   #908
BHPian

Dear friends, I have a query on the route from Mumbai to Srinagar.

Between Mumbai to Sri Ganganagar or Abohar is it better to travel via Udaipur-Nathdwara-Kishangarh-Makarana-Ratangarh or via Mehsana-Pali-Mt.Abu-Bikaner-Sri Ganganagar.
Also in the Udaipur route is it better to proceed via Nathdwara or via Chittorgarh.

Further down is it better to take the Muktasar-Kotkapura-Moga-Jalandhar-Pathankot route or to proceed via Zira-Ferozepur-Amritsar-Pathankot.

The Mandi Dabvali Bathinda part was supposed to be in bad shape last year hence the experts had recommended the alternate Muktasar-Moga-Jalandhar route. Is the bad patch now repaired?

I would appreciate advice on the optimum route between Mumbai and Srinagar.
Old 10th May 2013, 06:43   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
Dear friends, I have a query on the route from Mumbai to Srinagar.

Between Mumbai to Sri Ganganagar or Abohar is it better to travel via Udaipur-Nathdwara-Kishangarh-Makarana-Ratangarh or via Mehsana-Pali-Mt.Abu-Bikaner-Sri Ganganagar.
Also in the Udaipur route is it better to proceed via Nathdwara or via Chittorgarh.

Further down is it better to take the Muktasar-Kotkapura-Moga-Jalandhar-Pathankot route or to proceed via Zira-Ferozepur-Amritsar-Pathankot.

The Mandi Dabvali Bathinda part was supposed to be in bad shape last year hence the experts had recommended the alternate Muktasar-Moga-Jalandhar route. Is the bad patch now repaired?

I would appreciate advice on the optimum route between Mumbai and Srinagar.
The Bhatinda Super Highway starts at Kishangarh & ends in Hanumangarh, the idea choice of those travelling from West & South India to Punjab & Kashmir, to avoid both the Jaipur & NCR regions. IT is now the preferred choice - it will also help reach Amritsar in 2 days of flat-out driving from Bombay.

Route is as follows:

Kishangarh-Makrana (bypassed)-Sujangarh-Ratangad-Sardrashahr-Hanumangarh

Excellent 2-laned toll road, the 450-odd kms can be done in under 6 hours easily. IN between, facilities are not great, but you have good hotels in Ratangad (RTDC), Sardarashahr (Kuber Palace) & Hanumangarh (Rajvi Palace).

From Hanumangarh, you have 2 feasible routes:

If you want to go to Amritsar also, then take Abohar-Ferozepur-Zira-Taran Taran-Amritsar, but Amritsar-Pathankot highway is a widening mess terribly congested by day (take it early morning or late night).

IF you want to go direct, then take Abohar-Muktasar-Kotkapura-Moga-take Ludhaina road till Jargaon-Jalandhar to get to Pathankot & beyond.

Avoid the Hanumangarh-Mandi Dabwali-Bhatinda route.

The Pali route is not preferred because it is narrow 2-laned road with heavy truck traffic between Palanpur & Pali. The Bhatinda super highway is absolutely a delight to drive on.

From Bombay, we plan the drive as follows:
D1: Bombay-Chittorgarh
D2: Chittorgarh-Hanumangarh/Amritsar/Moga
D3: Hanumangarh/Amritsar/Moga-Patnitop/Srinagar

Check out this video of how the Bhatinda super highway looks like:

Last edited by hvkumar : 10th May 2013 at 06:44.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 13:34   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Bhatinda Super Highway starts at Kishangarh & ends in Hanumangarh, the idea choice of those travelling from West & South India to Punjab & Kashmir, to avoid both the Jaipur & NCR regions. IT is now the preferred choice - it will also help reach Amritsar in 2 days of flat-out driving from Bombay.

Route is as follows:

Kishangarh-Makrana (bypassed)-Sujangarh-Ratangad-Sardrashahr-Hanumangarh

Excellent 2-laned toll road, the 450-odd kms can be done in under 6 hours easily. IN between, facilities are not great, but you have good hotels in Ratangad (RTDC), Sardarashahr (Kuber Palace) & Hanumangarh (Rajvi Palace).

From Hanumangarh, you have 2 feasible routes:

If you want to go to Amritsar also, then take Abohar-Ferozepur-Zira-Taran Taran-Amritsar, but Amritsar-Pathankot highway is a widening mess terribly congested by day (take it early morning or late night).

IF you want to go direct, then take Abohar-Muktasar-Kotkapura-Moga-take Ludhaina road till Jargaon-Jalandhar to get to Pathankot & beyond.

Avoid the Hanumangarh-Mandi Dabwali-Bhatinda route.

The Pali route is not preferred because it is narrow 2-laned road with heavy truck traffic between Palanpur & Pali. The Bhatinda super highway is absolutely a delight to drive on.

From Bombay, we plan the drive as follows:
D1: Bombay-Chittorgarh
D2: Chittorgarh-Hanumangarh/Amritsar/Moga
D3: Hanumangarh/Amritsar/Moga-Patnitop/Srinagar
This is like Deja Vu . Last year around same time HVK had advised me to take this route instead of going through Delhi. I had done a trip in a Vento TDI from Thane to Leh and Back in June 12 and wanted to cover max distance on Day 1 so that i can get more no: of Days in Ladakh.

Trust me this was the best piece of advise i received from HVK and having left Thane(Near Mumbai) at 1:30 am was able to reach Hanumangarh at 7:30 pm the same day.Covered 1500 approx kms on Day 1.

Ofcourse on Day 2 made the mistake of taking the Hanumangarh - Bhatinda Route and ran into huge craters and sand/clay sections at Chautala Village. Ofcourse in a way it helped in me getting a hang of the GC of vento and how to negotiate such tracks before taking on the MightY Zoji La Pass and its dreaded no tarmac sections !!!

Last edited by Swift Express : 10th May 2013 at 13:35.
Old 10th May 2013, 13:44   #911
BHPian

Dear All,

could you please confirm that Zojila pass is closed on Mondays for routine maintenance. As per my current plan I am planning to cross it on Monday morning.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:26   #912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Dear All,

could you please confirm that Zojila pass is closed on Mondays for routine maintenance. As per my current plan I am planning to cross it on Monday morning.
There is traffic timing. Did not hear about maintenance shutdowns. So do not have any idea about this. Rohtang used to have a Tuesday shutdown last season.
Old 10th May 2013, 15:22   #913
BHPian

Quote:
There is traffic timing. Did not hear about maintenance shutdowns. So do not have any idea about this. Rohtang used to have a Tuesday shutdown last season.
TSK is right. Never heard of complete day shutdown. However this year the timing restrictions for up and down vehicular movement is as under

According to a notification issued by the Transport Department, the movement of vehicular traffic on the road was allowed from April 15. “The traffic would be regulated downward from Kargil to Drass at 4 am, from Drass to Gumri at 6 am and from Gumri to Sonamarg at 10 am. Likewise, the upward convey would move from Sonamarg towards Drass and Kargil at 3 pm onwards,” the spokesman said.

Link - http://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/2...wn-open-83.asp

Last year too such restrictions were in place. But this generally applies to Heavy vehicles. I passed the Sonmarg checkpost in the morning at 10:00 AM only to be stopped midway at Zojila as Rock blasting was going on. Later when the BRO workers took a lunch break downward vehicles were allowed to pass followed by realse of our queue.

However better to double check with cab drivers at srinangar if you are going from srinagar.
Old 10th May 2013, 16:46   #914
BHPian

Thank you Tanveer & Swift_Express. I want to make sure before landing at Kashmir, will try to get info from some locals before starting.
Old 11th May 2013, 01:20   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Yes,they do have maintenance shutdowns.
When driving from Drass to Srinagar in September 2011 I was directed to go above the Zojila as the main pass was totally closed for traffic. Just 4/5 Mahindra cabs overtook me and not a single vehicle coming up. Add to that the very bad condition of the road. A very frightening experience. At the second last hairpin bend I saw the steep downward slope and totally lost my nerve. Switched off the ignition and got out of the car and waited for a few minutes to muster courage. If I had a choice would have taken it but as I was alone there was no way out. Repeated to myself"darr ke aage jeet hai" the tag line from the ad, and drove. Wont forget the panicky feeling.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 11th May 2013 at 01:24.
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks