Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-m_12.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 00:15   #932
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Posting the current taxi rates in Leh -
I have a question. These are rates of Ladakh taxi union. For someone who wants to do Manali Leh by taxi, would the rates be similar? I know that HP taxi union does not allow passengers to be taken from Manali side. So the rate of HP taxi would be same for what it is for Leh Manali section?
Old 27th May 2013, 08:12   #933
BHPian

Hi Guys

I'm planning to do Leh from 30th August to 6th September. I'm flying in from Delhi.

Need some advice on the following
- what kind of weather do I expect during those days ?
- stay? Where do I stay...which areas? Which hotels? Do I spend all 6 days in leh or do I break my stay into 2-3 different locations ?
- places to visit - I am treating this as a once in a lifetime trip. So I want to see everything possible. What are the places that absolutely cannot be missed?
- anything else I need to know as a first time traveller to leh.
Old 27th May 2013, 09:10   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I have a question. These are rates of Ladakh taxi union. For someone who wants to do Manali Leh by taxi, would the rates be similar? I know that HP taxi union does not allow passengers to be taken from Manali side. So the rate of HP taxi would be same for what it is for Leh Manali section?
I am not sure about that. Call up some travel agent or your hotel in Manali, they can give you a better picture. But rates should be similar.

Once in Leh, your Manali cab will not be allowed to go anywhere, you will have to get a Leh taxi (JK 10 .... ).
Old 28th May 2013, 00:15   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Shipnil
Hi
The taxi union's number in Manali is 01902-252450.
A year back I spoke to mr.Jiwatram and he was quite helpful.
In case you are interested you can call him or speak to anybody who picks up the phone.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:36   #936
BHPian

Ok! So our June plan has been postponed to August, to keep in sync with favourable weather (and of course holidays).

Now our plan is to start on 09 August night from Delhi, reaching back to Delhi on 24th. 09th is Eid, 15th is Indepence Day and 20th is Raksha Bandhan, which means the entire trip can be done in 8 days of leaves. Our itinerary is still being refined, with some great help from HVK (or should I say he is creating our itinerary since our own original itinerary had too many holes in it).

So with the master of Roads in all of the India, our itinerary would be something like this:

Delhi-Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Nubra-Turtuk-Pangong Tso-Tso Moriri-Keylong-Chandratal-Kaza-Shimla-Delhi (no Manali or Rohtang due to their ever increasing bad repute, and then Kaza would be a treat to eyes!)

What we've realised after discussing with HVK that including Padum and Hanle would require another couple of days and hence dropped the idea, more so because photography prohibition at Hanle and full day drive from Kargil to reach Padum which would mean 2days spent.

We are 4-5 persons on an XUV. Welcome to join if your plan coincides.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 19:06   #937
akp
BHPian

Hi everyone,

planning a Leh-Ladakh trip this summer. There will be three of us - me, wife and daughter - will be travelling in our Scorpio 4wd. We are planning to start around June 20/21, and here is a rough plan I have drawn up:
Day 1. New Delhi -> Kud
Day 2. Kud -> Sonamarg
Day 3. Sonamarg -> Kargil
Dat 4. Kargil -> Leh
Day 5. Leh (permits)
Day 6. Leh
Day 7. Leh -> Khardung La -> Diskit -> Hunder
Day 8. Hunder –> Sumur –> Panamik –> Sumur –> Khardung La –> Leh
Day 9. Leh -> Lukung -> Spangmik
Day 10: ???
Day 11: ???
Day 12: ???
Day 13. Jispa > Rohtang > Manali
Day 14. Manali
Day 15. Manali -> Delhi

Now questions:

1. For Days 10 and 11, my original plan was to do Spangmik - Man-Merak-Chusul-Korzok on day 10, and then Korzok-Jispa on Day 11 (following the same route that SS-Traveller took in his 2011 trip), but now that Chusul permits are not being issued any more, how to fill up Days 10, 11 and 12 covering Tso Moriri and (if possible) Hanle observatory.

2. For permission/booking for stay in Hanle - whom to contact?

3. Is it possible to combine Day 8 and 9, i.e. something like Hunder–> Sumur –> Panamik –> Sumur -> Spangmik without stretching ourselves too much?
If yes, what should be the route between Sumur and Spangmik? How long is it likely to take us?

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 28th May 2013, 19:23   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Hi everyone,

planning a Leh-Ladakh trip this summer. There will be three of us - me, wife and daughter - will be travelling in our Scorpio 4wd. We are planning to start around June 20/21, and here is a rough plan I have drawn up:
Day 1. New Delhi -> Kud
Day 2. Kud -> Sonamarg
Day 3. Sonamarg -> Kargil
Dat 4. Kargil -> Leh
Day 5. Leh (permits)
Day 6. Leh
Day 7. Leh -> Khardung La -> Diskit -> Hunder
Day 8. Hunder –> Sumur –> Panamik –> Sumur –> Khardung La –> Leh
Day 9. Leh -> Lukung -> Spangmik
Day 10: ???
Day 11: ???
Day 12: ???
Day 13. Jispa > Rohtang > Manali
Day 14. Manali
Day 15. Manali -> Delhi

Now questions:

1. For Days 10 and 11, my original plan was to do Spangmik - Man-Merak-Chusul-Korzok on day 10, and then Korzok-Jispa on Day 11 (following the same route that SS-Traveller took in his 2011 trip), but now that Chusul permits are not being issued any more, how to fill up Days 10, 11 and 12 covering Tso Moriri and (if possible) Hanle observatory.
D10 - Spangimik-Chang la-Karu (refuel)-Upshi-Mahe-Nyoma-Loma-Hanle
D11 - Hanle-Loma-Nyoma-Mahe-Sumdo-Karzok/Tso M
D12 - Karzok/ Tso M-Sumdo-Tso Kar-Debring-Pang-Sarchu-Jispa (maybe Sarchu if you run late)

Quote:
2. For permission/booking for stay in Hanle - whom to contact?
Hanle Observatory is run by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics who have a small guest house. You can try contacting them if they will allow you to use their guest house, but I am not too hopeful. There is a homestay in Hanle village, which is very basic (no toilets even). Contacting them is difficult (I have been trying their sat phone number for last 1 month without success)

Quote:
3. Is it possible to combine Day 8 and 9, i.e. something like Hunder–> Sumur –> Panamik –> Sumur -> Spangmik without stretching ourselves too much?
If yes, what should be the route between Sumur and Spangmik? How long is it likely to take us?
I am bemused, there is nothing in Sumur & the hot spring in Panamik is nothing to write home about. Reaching Spangimik the same day possible if you leave early and go via Wari la, but if you go via Leh, also possible but you could reach quite late in the evening (not advised fr first-timer)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 19:36   #939
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am bemused, there is nothing in Sumur & the hot spring in Panamik is nothing to write home about. Reaching Spangimik the same day possible if you leave early and go via Wari la, but if you go via Leh, also possible but you could reach quite late in the evening (not advised fr first-timer)
Thanks a lot, hvk.
Actually, this is going to be my first visit to the region. So whatever information I have is second hand! Read somewhere that Panamik is worth visiting, so included it at the last moment. But from what you say, looks like I can safely omit that part and come back straight from Hunder. That would perhaps make Hunder-Khalsar-Agam-Wari La-Sakti-Durbuk-Tangtse-Lukung-Spangmik more manageable?
Old 28th May 2013, 19:48   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Thanks a lot, hvk.
Actually, this is going to be my first visit to the region. So whatever information I have is second hand! Read somewhere that Panamik is worth visiting, so included it at the last moment. But from what you say, looks like I can safely omit that part and come back straight from Hunder. That would perhaps make Hunder-Khalsar-Agam-Wari La-Sakti-Durbuk-Tangtse-Lukung-Spangmik more manageable?
Yes, you could easily reach Pangong, assuming that Wari la will not be too bad!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 23:39   #941
BHPian

Hi everyone,

We are a group of ten friends in 3 vehicles on a 16 day ladakh road trip leaving delhi on the 1st of June.

We are taking the srinagar - Kargil - leh - manali route.

Heard about heavy rains causing landslides and blocking the srinagar leh route a few days back.

Does anybody know the current status of the route and weather conditions?

Any info is highly appreciated.

Team-bhpians in leh - ladakh during this time look out for an odd combo of Thar-Fortuner-Touareg!

Rgds,

Ar. Naved
Old 31st May 2013, 00:35   #942
BHPian

Hello all,
i and two other friends are thinking of doing a ladakh trip beginning around june 25 from chandigarh.
Am thinking of driving my Alto 2007 (44K Kms). thinking of chandigarh-srinagar-leh-kaaza-shimla-chd or chd-srinagar-leh-manali-chd.
Went through Shutterhead's excelent document attached to the first post of this thread. It does not talk about small car like alto being able to do this route. However, at other places ive read people being confident about i10 and santro doing it. So, is it doable in an Alto?

Car Tyre issues:
1. Both front shock absorbers are leaking and need to be replaced. Should i:
a) get new shockers before going to trip so i dont face any problems there or
b) go with these shockers and replace after coming back from trip.

2. OEM JK Tyres are in no shape to last such a trip and need to be changed to tubeless ones.
a) should i get apollo 3g, bridgestone ER60 etc or go with a rock hard MRF or JK Tyre to be safer on stone/sand/ice roads?
b) should i stick to stock 145/80 on R12 steel rims or get 13" steel rims (alto k10, wagonR, etc) and 155/70 R13 tyres to increase GC by 1 cm.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:38   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Ok! So our June plan has been postponed to August, to keep in sync with favourable weather (and of course holidays).

Now our plan is to start on 09 August night from Delhi, reaching back to Delhi on 24th. 09th is Eid, 15th is Indepence Day and 20th is Raksha Bandhan, which means the entire trip can be done in 8 days of leaves. Our itinerary is still being refined, with some great help from HVK (or should I say he is creating our itinerary since our own original itinerary had too many holes in it).

So with the master of Roads in all of the India, our itinerary would be something like this:

Delhi-Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Nubra-Turtuk-Pangong Tso-Tso Moriri-Keylong-Chandratal-Kaza-Shimla-Delhi (no Manali or Rohtang due to their ever increasing bad repute, and then Kaza would be a treat to eyes!)

What we've realised after discussing with HVK that including Padum and Hanle would require another couple of days and hence dropped the idea, more so because photography prohibition at Hanle and full day drive from Kargil to reach Padum which would mean 2days spent.

We are 4-5 persons on an XUV. Welcome to join if your plan coincides.
Hi,

Even I am planing to visit Leh and my travel plan is similar to yours, so please do share the travel plans in detail. Thanks in Advance.......
Old 31st May 2013, 11:03   #944
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod : Thread closed. please continue discussion here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ate-guide.html (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed