Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 18:58   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
What time did you leave Tangste?
Tangtse 630 am, Karu 9-1030 am (refuelling & food)-Mahe 200 pm-Tso Kiagar 300 pm-Tso M 400 pm

Quote:
Is there any good accomodation in Tso Moriri? or there is no accomodation then which would be the best destination to stop over Korzok/Chumathang/ Sumdo/Tso Kiagar?
There are at least 3 luxury tent camps in Karzok, a pucca hotel and several small lodges. BTW, Karzok is the village on the bank of Tso Moriri where you stay. So when I refer to Tso M, I am talking about Karzok.

Tso Kiagar is just a Lake, no place to stay.
Mahe is just a check post, no place to stay. Not even in the village nearby.
Chumathang has a small hotel. But that is not really a choice to stay in unless you are badly delayed.
Sumdo has no acco, although I have seen a small tent camp on the Sumdo-Tso Kiagar road.

Quote:
On the route can i do Pangong Tso to Tso Moriri via Chushul - Nyoma - Mahe? then through Chumathang - Sumdo - Tso Kiagar -Tso Morriri? Will it save time instead of going through Upshi?

These are the two routes am aware of:

Pangong Tso –Tangtse - Chushul - Nyoma - Mahe - Chumathang - Sumdo - Tso Kiagar -Tso Morriri

Pangong Tso –Tangtse - Changla - Sakti - Karu - Upshi - Mahe - Chumathang - Sumdo - Tso Kiagar -Tso Morriri

Is Chang La required to be crossed in both options. Not clear about the route and the time taken and the road conditions
Yes, you can go either way, but the route via Karu & Upshi is the shortest & fastest. Besides, the route via Chushul & LOma is on difficult no-road terrain, meant only for those who dare. You will not reach Tso M the same day if you go via Chushul.

Chang la has to be crossed only on the Karu-Upshi route. In the Chushul-Loma route, you have to cross the Tsaga la.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 20:27   #512
BHPian

Quote:

Would be really happy if you could pm me your log or itenerary if that is not too much of a trouble. Thanks

AJ
Hi AJ,
Pls check my log at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-6500kms.html

Regards
Nikhil.
nix1976in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 09:07   #513
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
do you have the tax paid receipt?
If so carry it along, and also affix the proper numberplate(I presume you have the number allotted to you).
With tax paid receipt,
document of number allotment
Insurance etc., you will be fine.
In Gurgaon, number allotment also takes time, unlike Delhi. I should be getting the number in the next ten days or so. RC will take its own sweet time. Most probably, won't get it in time.
So, the docs i will be carrying are
1. Insurance
2. Temp Reg Cert (Valid till 12th june only - my ride is from 7th to 17th june)
3. Invoice
4. A slip issued by the RTO - detailing my permanent number.
Also, my bike will have the new number incorporated in the number plates.
Plus - An Army captain talking down to the sentrys to let me through in case of problems.
--------------------------------------------------------
A little help regarding itinerary please.

We have a rough plan of covering Gurgaon - Manali - Tso Moriri - Pangong Tso - Leh - Khardungla - Zanskar - Srinagar - Gurgaon.
It might not be possible considering the fickle nature of Rohtang and Baralach la as we learnt last year.
However, in the best case scenario
How long would a Moreh Plains T junction - Tso Moriri ride be and similarly a Tso Moriri - Merak - Pangong Tso ride.
We will be carrying extra fuel as the Tandi - our route - Leh distance will be approximately 650km.
We are arranging for permits before hand.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:11   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There are at least 3 luxury tent camps in Karzok, a pucca hotel and several small lodges. BTW, Karzok is the village on the bank of Tso Moriri where you stay. So when I refer to Tso M, I am talking about Karzok.

Tso Kiagar is just a Lake, no place to stay.
Mahe is just a check post, no place to stay. Not even in the village nearby.
Chumathang has a small hotel. But that is not really a choice to stay in unless you are badly delayed.
Sumdo has no acco, although I have seen a small tent camp on the Sumdo-Tso Kiagar road.
Shall stay at Karzok. By your itenerary Tangste - Tso Morrri in a day, is doable.

Quote:
Yes, you can go either way, but the route via Karu & Upshi is the shortest & fastest. Besides, the route via Chushul & LOma is on difficult no-road terrain, meant only for those who dare. You will not reach Tso M the same day if you go via Chushul.

Chang la has to be crossed only on the Karu-Upshi route. In the Chushul-Loma route, you have to cross the Tsaga la.
Chushul does'nt seem to be a good idea, will stick to the upshi route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Hi AJ,
Pls check my log at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-6500kms.html

Regards
Nikhil.
You were right your trip mirrors a lot like the plan Iam working on. Great travelogue, well written and amazing pics. Read through the entire lot in one go!

Last edited by urban_legend : 17th May 2012 at 10:12.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:24   #515
BHPian

Thank you HVK, SS, Nikhil for your inputs. This is how the final plan looks like.

DAY - 1 Saturday, June 02, 2012
Mumbai –Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Chittorgarh

DAY - 2 Sunday, June 03, 2012
Chittorgarh- Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Makrana-Ladnun-Ratangad-Sardarshahr-Rewatsar-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Fazilka-Ferozepur-Zira-Taran Taran-Amritsar (if delayed halt at Ferozpur or any place earlier)

DAY - 3 Monday, June 04, 2012
Ferozpur - Amritsar by 11 am
Visit Golden temple; wagah border in the evening
Rest day - Stay at Amritsar

DAY - 4 Tuesday, June 05, 2012
Amritsar - Pathankot - Ramban - Banhal - Anantnag - Srinagar

DAY - 5 Wednesday, June 06, 2012
Srinagar - Sonamarg - Zojila - drass - Kargil

DAY - 6 Thursday, June 07, 2012
Kargil - Mulbek - Namik La - Fotu La -Lamayaru - Khaltse - Nimmu - Magnetic Hill - Leh - Vehicle check up (if possible)

(Get permits for Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Chang La, Tso Moriri, Tso Kar - Need to do this is in advance)

DAY - 7 Friday, June 08, 2012
Go to Khardung La and back to Leh by noon - Leh City tour/acclamatising - Hemis, Thikse, Shey - and Stok (Palace and Monasteries), Shanti Stupa etc.

DAY - 8 Saturday, June 09, 2012
Leh – Shey – Karu – Shakti – Chang La – Durbuk – Tanksey – Lukung – Spangmik - Pangong Tso
(Stay at Pangong Tso)

DAY - 9 Sunday, June 10, 2012
Pangong Tso –Tangtse - Changla - Sakti - Karu - Upshi - Mahe - Chumathang - Sumdo - Tso Kiagar -Tso Morriri
(Stay at Korzok/Tso Moriri)

DAY - 10 Monday, June 11, 2012
Tso Moriri - Debring - More Plains - Pang - Lachulung La - Naki La - Gata Loops - Whicsky Nallah - Brandy Nallah - Sarchu

DAY - 11 Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Sarchu - Baralacha La - Darcha - Zing Zing Bar - Jispa - Keylong - Tandi - Koskar - Rohtang - Manali

DAY - 12 Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Rest Day - Manali - vehicle check

DAY - 13 Thursday, June 14, 2012
Manali - Delhi

DAY - 14 Friday, June 15, 2012
Delhi - Udaipur

Day 15 Saturday, June 16, 2012
Udaipur - Mumbai

Day 16 Sunday, June 17, 2012
Buffer incase of any delays during the trip

Last edited by urban_legend : 17th May 2012 at 10:27.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:44   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DAY - 2 Sunday, June 03, 2012
Chittorgarh- Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Makrana-Ladnun-Ratangad-Sardarshahr-Rewatsar-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Fazilka-Ferozepur-Zira-Taran Taran-Amritsar (if delayed halt at Ferozpur or any place earlier)
You have good hotels at Hanumangarh & Abohar

Quote:
(Get permits for Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Chang La, Tso Moriri, Tso Kar - Need to do this is in advance)
If you send the documents in advance, a travel agent can help arrange it
Old 17th May 2012, 10:44   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
In Gurgaon, number allotment also takes time, unlike Delhi. I should be getting the number in the next ten days or so. RC will take its own sweet time. Most probably, won't get it in time.
So, the docs i will be carrying are
1. Insurance
2. Temp Reg Cert (Valid till 12th june only - my ride is from 7th to 17th june)
3. Invoice
4. A slip issued by the RTO - detailing my permanent number.
Also, my bike will have the new number incorporated in the number plates.
Plus - An Army captain talking down to the sentrys to let me through in case of problems.
--------------------------------------------------------
A little help regarding itinerary please.

We have a rough plan of covering Gurgaon - Manali - Tso Moriri - Pangong Tso - Leh - Khardungla - Zanskar - Srinagar - Gurgaon.
It might not be possible considering the fickle nature of Rohtang and Baralach la as we learnt last year.
However, in the best case scenario
How long would a Moreh Plains T junction - Tso Moriri ride be and similarly a Tso Moriri - Merak - Pangong Tso ride.
We will be carrying extra fuel as the Tandi - our route - Leh distance will be approximately 650km.
We are arranging for permits before hand.
If your bike plate has temp number, you can run into issues. Just warning.
As for itenary, it will take around 10 hours from Tso moriri-Lukung(pangong) via Merak.
If you go via Tso-moriri-merak, you will have to buy fuel in black in nyoma.
However, if you go via Karu (11 hours ride), there is fuel availability at Karu (35kms from leh approx)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 11:11   #518
BHPian

Quote:
If you send the documents in advance, a travel agent can help arrange it

Based on the itenerary, planning to get permits for Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Chang La, Tso Moriri and Tso Kar.

Do you think I am missing on any location where permits would be required?
Old 17th May 2012, 11:20   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on the itenerary, planning to get permits for Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Chang La, Tso Moriri and Tso Kar.

Do you think I am missing on any location where permits would be required?
Mention Mahe also for getting the permits
Old 17th May 2012, 12:40   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
In Gurgaon, number allotment also takes time, unlike Delhi.
Permanent registration number is allotted at the moment the file is submitted in the office. A temporary registration slip is issued, which should be submitted when the RC is to be collected 15-20 days later. The arrival of final RC takes time, allotment of number takes just minutes.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 20:06   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, you are wrong.
There are timings. For 4-5 hours traffic from Sonmarg is allowed, and then for 4-5 hours traffic from kargil side is allowed. However timings are not fixed.
I don't remember crossing any check post before climbing. The only one I remember was in Sonamarg. Is there any specific place, where someone stops the traffic?
Old 17th May 2012, 20:57   #522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
I don't remember crossing any check post before climbing. The only one I remember was in Sonamarg. Is there any specific place, where someone stops the traffic?
Zojila checkpost is couple of kms after sonmarg. Traffic restrictions are in place when volume is heavy. When traffic volume is light, these restrictions usually vanish
Old 17th May 2012, 21:03   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
I didnt even encounter a checkpoint at Sonamarg, Infact I remember looking around for a checkpost at Sonamarg but it was a free run all the way to D'Zojila.
Old 18th May 2012, 01:35   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic restrictions are in place when volume is heavy. When traffic volume is light, these restrictions usually vanish
I think this is the reason why they have a new road constructed, so they do not have to stop the traffic. We took this new road (which we dint even know existed) because of a massive jam. A truck driver informed us about this and we managed to reach the top, without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
I didnt even encounter a checkpoint at Sonamarg, Infact I remember looking around for a checkpost at Sonamarg but it was a free run all the way to D'Zojila.
If I remember it right, the check post was right after the board 'Sonamarg Indian Army Welcomes You'. I believe this is the one..

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-dscn0680.jpg
Old 18th May 2012, 01:42   #525
BHPian

Urban Legend
Hi
I found going through the town of kishangarh faster and easier than the highway.
A few twists and turns through the town and you are back on the highway.
Also hope you are going by the golden bridge over the Narmada river as NH 8 is perenially jammed.Do keep your side view mirrors folded.
Regards
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks