Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 10:00   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Urban Legend
Hi
I found going through the town of kishangarh faster and easier than the highway.
A few twists and turns through the town and you are back on the highway.
But sir ji, Kishangarh town does not come anywhere on the way when you are on NH79 from Chittorgarh, you are on superfast 4-laned roads till you rejoin NH8 after Kishangarh town. Perhaps you are referring to Kishangarh town when you are coming on NH8 from Ajmer?
Old 18th May 2012, 11:17   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Urban Legend
Hi
I found going through the town of kishangarh faster and easier than the highway.
A few twists and turns through the town and you are back on the highway.
Also hope you are going by the golden bridge over the Narmada river as NH 8 is perenially jammed.Do keep your side view mirrors folded.
Regards
Hey Fastus,

I think will take that advice of going through Kishangarh.

Slight confusion on whether to take the Hanumangarh- Bhatinda Zira route to Amritsar or the Hanumangarh-Abohar-Ferozpur route to Amritsar. (hardly 15kms difference interms of distance). But heard that the ferozpur route is a breeze interms of road quality.

The Narmada bridge crossing - recently when i was driving down to Rajkot had taken the old bridge (not sure that what you referring to as the golden bridge), this old bridge is parallel to the main bridge. One needs to take a detour a km before the main bridge onto the other side of the road. I found that better because only LMVs are allowed and it is much faster.

AJ

Last edited by urban_legend : 18th May 2012 at 11:25.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:25   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But sir ji, Kishangarh town does not come anywhere on the way when you are on NH79 from Chittorgarh, you are on superfast 4-laned roads till you rejoin NH8 after Kishangarh town. Perhaps you are referring to Kishangarh town when you are coming on NH8 from Ajmer?
HVK: I think we need to go through Kishangarh? taking NH79 from Chittorgarh- Nasirabad-(by pass Ajmer)-Kishangarh-then head to Sajangarh. Am i missing on something here?
Old 18th May 2012, 11:40   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
HVK: I think we need to go through Kishangarh? taking NH79 from Chittorgarh- Nasirabad-(by pass Ajmer)-Kishangarh-then head to Sajangarh. Am i missing on something here?
To go to Sujangarh, you have to turn left onto NH8 towards Ajmer. What you take is the Kishangarh bypass - which is also being widened and has lots of truck traffic, etc - but stick to the bypass and some 4-5 kms down the road - after crossing the rail overbridge & the toll gate - you will see the right turn towards Bhatinda. The distance particulars, etc are clearly marked in my route guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
Hey Fastus,

I think will take that advice of going through Kishangarh.

Slight confusion on whether to take the Hanumangarh- Bhatinda Zira route to Amritsar or the Hanumangarh-Abohar-Ferozpur route to Amritsar. (hardly 15kms difference interms of distance). But heard that the ferozpur route is a breeze interms of road quality.

AJ
Avoid the Hanumangarh-Doomwali-Bhatinda route since roads till Doomwali are terrible - which I am told is so because Chautala's village is on this route!!

Stick to Hanumangarh-Abohar-Ferozpur-Zira route. Great roads, especially the one from Abohar.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th May 2012 at 12:18. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:17   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avoid the Hanumangarh-Doomwali-Bhatinda route since roads till Doomwali are terrible - which I am told is so because Chautala's village is on this route!!
Sangaria-Dabwali roads is in very very bad shape. Earlier it was a defence road which was later handed over to state government, now work is in progress, expect it to be ready by next year. Hanumangarh-Sangaria stretch is very good.

Dabwali-Bhatinda road too is not good, another reason to avoid this route.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th May 2012 at 12:19.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:21   #531
BHPian

Quote:
To go to Sujangarh, you have to turn left onto NH8 towards Ajmer. What you take is the Kishangarh bypass - which is also being widened and has lots of truck traffic, etc - but stick to the bypass and some 4-5 kms down the road - after crossing the rail overbridge & the toll gate - you will see the right turn towards Bhatinda. The distance particulars, etc are clearly marked in my route guide.

Stick to Hanumangarh-Abohar-Ferozpur-Zira route. Great roads, especially the one from Abohar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Sangaria-Dabwali roads is in very very bad shape. Earlier it was a defence road which was later handed over to state government, now work is in progress, expect it to be ready by next year.

Dabwali-Bhatinda road too is not good, another reason to avoid this route.
Shall stick to the Ferozpur route. The Ferozpur route seems to be less of a hassle interms of traffic (cant see any major towns in between Abohar and ferozpur). Thanks!
Old 19th May 2012, 00:30   #532
BHPian

HVK saar/Urban Legend
Hi
While driving from Rattangarh to Chittorgarh and vice versa I was advised to go through Kishangarh town.The bypass was blocked both the times.I am sure that I went through Kishangarh as I had pure desi ghee kachoris at Pahadia's.They were were very good.
I followed HVK saar's advise and took Rattangarh Hanumangarh Abohar Fazilka Jalalabad Ferozpur(hardly any traffic) Zira Harike(4/5 kms bad road)T.Taran Amritsar Gurdaspur Pathankot.
In case you decide to stay at Ferozpur hotel Kayson is reasonable(above HDFC bank)rs 700 +28 tax with split AC(room nos 108 and 106.Receptionist Amarjit)
Do try lemon with lime at Lovely cold drink house.Better than the Lemonwalla in Delhi chandni chowk.
In case you are able to reach Pathankot stay at Le Kingston(room 102 receptionist Gurmeet rs 1000 AC).HVK saar also stayed there
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 19th May 2012 at 00:31.
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 11:07   #533
BHPian

Quote:
HVK saar/Urban Legend
Hi
While driving from Rattangarh to Chittorgarh and vice versa I was advised to go through Kishangarh town.The bypass was blocked both the times.I am sure that I went through Kishangarh as I had pure desi ghee kachoris at Pahadia's.They were were very good.
I followed HVK saar's advise and took Rattangarh Hanumangarh Abohar Fazilka Jalalabad Ferozpur(hardly any traffic) Zira Harike(4/5 kms bad road)T.Taran Amritsar Gurdaspur Pathankot.
In case you decide to stay at Ferozpur hotel Kayson is reasonable(above HDFC bank)rs 700 +28 tax with split AC(room nos 108 and 106.Receptionist Amarjit)
Do try lemon with lime at Lovely cold drink house.Better than the Lemonwalla in Delhi chandni chowk.
In case you are able to reach Pathankot stay at Le Kingston(room 102 receptionist Gurmeet rs 1000 AC).HVK saar also stayed there
Regards
Thanks Faustus.

I have noted the hotel details. Also more importantly the pure desi ghee kachoris and Lemon with Lime! I think for the Kachoris (traffic or no traffic) might get pulled towards Kishangarh!!
Old 19th May 2012, 11:09   #534
BHPian

Any update on the Manali-Leh Highway status? The official webiste of Leh Ladakh Council says its still closed. Fingers crossed!
Old 19th May 2012, 12:17   #535
BHPian

Folks,

I have a basic query in planning my Leh- Ladakh trip. The trip schedule goes something like this-
Fly Chennai-Delhi
Shatabdi Delhi- Chandigarh.
Cab Chandigarh-Leh-Srinagar
Fly Sringar-Delhi-Chennai

What I'm being told by a few people is that, if I hire a cab from Chandigarh to Leh, I will have a problem using the same cab in Leh for the next4-5 days there. The cab union in Leh will not allow me to use a cab from outside of Leh.

If this is true, what options do I have here folks? Like I said, I will need to use a cab from Chandigarh, upto Srinagar.

Thanks,
Varun
Old 19th May 2012, 12:54   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Folks,

I have a basic query in planning my Leh- Ladakh trip. The trip schedule goes something like this-
Fly Chennai-Delhi
Shatabdi Delhi- Chandigarh.
Cab Chandigarh-Leh-Srinagar
Fly Sringar-Delhi-Chennai

What I'm being told by a few people is that, if I hire a cab from Chandigarh to Leh, I will have a problem using the same cab in Leh for the next4-5 days there. The cab union in Leh will not allow me to use a cab from outside of Leh.

If this is true, what options do I have here folks? Like I said, I will need to use a cab from Chandigarh, upto Srinagar.

Thanks,
Varun
Hey Varun - There is complete prohibition for outside taxis plying in the internal routes of Ladakh. Only Leh registered taxis are allowed to ply on the internal routes.

You can try to hire a vehicle having a private number plate. That will cut your misery to a great extent.

In the alternative you can simply let the Chandigarh taxi take you to Leh and then to Srinagar and for the internal routes you could hire a local taxi.

Also, ensure that you get your permits sorted out for travel within Ladakh and also for the Manali Rohtang Leg.

AJ
urban_legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 17:04   #537
BHPian

Hi All,

I was planning to do Europe with my sisters but the falling rupee is taking a huge toll on the expenses. So we decided to do Leh Ladakh instead. Dates not yet decided but will most probably be either First Week or second week of June. I am planning to Drive down from Hyderabad in a Swift (ZDi 2011). After checking the options for self drive ( Avis), I realized driving car from Hyderabad will workout a lot cheaper and I will have my own ride.Rental @ 5.5k per day + fuel will cost close to 1.5 lakhs. This much I would happily spend on flights for my sisters while driver and I will get the car to Delhi. Based on when Leh Manali pass opens we will do surrounding of Delhi first or during return. I am assuming this kind of trip will need atleast 28-30 days (including 3-4 days for Delhi) to have a very relaxed and enjoyable drive.

Now some of the basics. This is the first time that I will be driving in North India and such a long round trip of (5500 - 6000 km). Below is first draft of the route plan.

Day 1- 3, NH7 Hyderabad - Delhi 1500 Kms. What are the ideal stops here. I am thinking Nagpur, Jhansi and Delhi as one option. Drive of around 500kms a day.
Alternately Jabalpur, Gwalior Delhi. This will give us chance to spend some time in Agra.

Day 4-5. Rest in Delhi, Car Checkup , Spares pick up for Leh, Shopping etc. Well my car has Tints so that may have to be taken care of here :(

Day 6: Delhi- Chandigarh. Would want to show first planned city.

Day 7: Chandigarh- Manali.

Days 8-18, Manali - Leh onward. For the return trip I am thinking Via Srinagar, Amritsar (Wagha border,Golden Temple), Ludhiana. Will this be too hectic? Yet to research all the areas. So will post detail later. Will apply Permits for all the areas

Day 19, Ludhiana - Delhi

Day 20-22 Delhi Rest sight seeing. Temperature would have fallen down by then. If my sisters want a trip to Jaipur.

Day 23- 25 Jaipur /Delhi back to Hyderabad. Either they will fly or will drive.

Buffer days will 3-4. Total 30 days.

Guys I would welcome all the suggestions. Expense is not much issue as we are doing this in lieu of Europe. Would like to stay in Places that are safe and clean. I am reviewing other posts as well should have more clear picture in a couple of days. Also a friend of mine had done this trip last year in a brand new swift VDi. Hope to get some inputs on the car from him.

looks like your route is clockwise while I am looking at counter clockwise direction. Any particular benefit of one over the other?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by indian21r : 24th May 2012 at 17:10.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:36   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

Day 1- 3, NH7 Hyderabad - Delhi 1500 Kms. What are the ideal stops here. I am thinking Nagpur, Jhansi and Delhi as one option. Drive of around 500kms a day.
Alternately Jabalpur, Gwalior Delhi. This will give us chance to spend some time in Agra.

Both Nagpur-Bhopal and Nagpur-Jhansi (no Jabalpur on this route) roads are in bad shape.
Maybe you should consider going via Indore to Gwalior.
You will still go via Agra.

Quote:
Day 7: Chandigarh- Manali.
The worst possible route nowadays thanks to the bad roads, need to waste time to take permits, and so on.

Quote:
Days 8-18, Manali - Leh onward. For the return trip I am thinking Via Srinagar, Amritsar (Wagha border,Golden Temple), Ludhiana. Will this be too hectic? Yet to research all the areas. So will post detail later. Will apply Permits for all the areas
Too little time to do justice to Ladakh.

Quote:
looks like your route is clockwise while I am looking at counter clockwise direction. Any particular benefit of one over the other?
That is ideal, going via Srinagar.

Maybe you cna read up 2 travelogues about our Ladakh trips:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l-pradesh.html

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...humbleh-d.html
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:06   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Both Nagpur-Bhopal and Nagpur-Jhansi (no Jabalpur on this route) roads are in bad shape.
Maybe you should consider going via Indore to Gwalior.
You will still go via Agra.

The worst possible route nowadays thanks to the bad roads, need to waste time to take permits, and so on.

Too little time to do justice to Ladakh.

That is ideal, going via Srinagar.

Maybe you cna read up 2 travelogues about our Ladakh trips:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l-pradesh.html

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...humbleh-d.html
Thanks for the inputs hvkumar, If Ladahk needs more time, I can incorporate that. My sister just informed that they do not want to do Hyd to Delhi and back by road. So that will be by air for them. I will do some more research on the routes. By the way will Swift be able to do the whole stretch or should I consider taking Innova. Swift is new, 6K on odo and Innova has done close to 180k on odo.

The links provided by you look very detailed. Somehow they did not come in the first 3 pages of the search. I will study them and comeup with updated plan.
Old 24th May 2012, 22:34   #540

Friends, I am taking Delhi-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Delhi route and covering it in 8 days.

Starting trip on June 1st (Friday night 9pm) and here is the Itinerary plan:-
  • Day 1: -Delhi- Keylong
  • Day 2:- Keylong - LEH
  • Day 3 & 4: Leh - Pangong -Leh
  • Day 5: Nubra Valey (Return in same day)
  • Day 6: Leh Srinagar
  • Day 7: Srinagar-Delhi

Safari 2.2 4wd EX is what we are going in. I am in constant touch with SDM/BRO person and he is pretty sure that roads will open officially for everyone on June 1st. Per SDM order, all cars (except HP no) has to take permit from Manali SDM court. 30 minutes process it is to fill a form and take the required approval or one can't cross Marhi (12km behind rohtang).

We are game, has anyone going on these days. I will possibly share my GPS frequency on web (Just in case someone/we need it).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed