Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:55   #16
BHPian

Now that pypkmsrikanth has given me hope on my dream route one of my original frozen routes between kangeyam and sathy will make way for this one - pending more info by srikanth on the other thread.
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Roads are good, but you would end up going through the entire Tirupur town and is definitely not advisable during any time of the day as Tirupur town is congested with lots of 2 wheeler traffic. Instead, you can think of breaking at Vijayamangalam-Uthukuli-Tirupur-Palladam as this will position you better to reach Palladam route once you enter Tirupur.
Thanks a lot for that.
The reason I thought of the former route was the 4 lane highway until Avinashi (or say, until 10-20 kms ahead of Avinashi) and I could drive the max on better roads.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Thanks a lot for that.
The reason I thought of the former route was the 4 lane highway until Avinashi (or say, until 10-20 kms ahead of Avinashi) and I could drive the max on better roads.
Can you please point that on Google maps? I always am told that Avinahi-Tiruppur is to be avoided, as one needs to get into Avinashi to get on to that road.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:01   #19
BHPian

@ampere

If you are asking me about the Vijayamangalam-Uthukuli-Tirupur-Palladam route, I tried it in Google but it doesnt let me draw one. The reason I identified is the road from Uthukuli to Tirupur shows a broken link and hence it is unable to draw the map via this route. But it is possible in reality and that is the regular bus route of Erode-Tirupur as it is the shortest.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:01   #20
BHPian

This is what I could get from Google maps.

National Highway 47 to National Highway 47 - Google Maps
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
You don't need to go via Trichy to reach Karur, I have made a comment in the other thread as well where Jeev had posted his query. You could go via Perambalur & Thuraiyur and join NH67 at Musiri which would save you a lot of trouble in the Trichy - Karur section.
True, but this section of Kulithalai-Karur is where the 4 laning is in progress and this is the region where the sand mining happens and so is comparatively worse than the first stretch between Trichy-Kulithalai.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
This is what I could get from Google maps.

National Highway 47 to National Highway 47 - Google Maps
Actually, this is more of the route I'm talking about.
Unknown road to National Highway 47 - Google Maps

But you dont have to do that V stretch through Padiyur as GM says, instead proceed from Uthukuli to Tirupur directly. (You can see that road in the map, but is broken in the middle according to GM, not so in reality though).

Since you are doing this tomorrow, my personal suggestion is to avoid last minute confusion and take the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur route which will put you onto the CBE by-pass comfortably.

Last edited by luvurride : 2nd November 2010 at 16:37.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

I drove down from CBE L&T byepass to Avinashi yesterday on my return from Parambikulam, this stretch does test one's patience, the route was not so bad when I was driving to Parambikulam from Bangalore on Saturday as it was early morning, but on Monday morning it was a mess, overtaking is next to impossible.
the alternate routes suggested seem very practical.
Old 5th November 2010, 08:57   #24
BHPian

Thanks luvurride. Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur is in excellent condition. 91km. Beautiful black tar - not a single pothole. Took me one and a half hours. 25km extra. Speeds of 80-100km can be done. No issues. Not crowded. Very much advisable especially for people going to Kerala, it connects into the NH47 very nicely. At Chennimalai there is a temple and all folks on the road, so a small slow down for 100-200m or so. Nothing major. And this route is very scenic. Sulur is also a little crowded but not bad at all. Go for it.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks luvurride. Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur is in excellent condition. 91km. Beautiful black tar - not a single pothole. Took me one and a half hours. 25km extra. Speeds of 80-100km can be done. No issues. Not crowded. Very much advisable especially for people going to Kerala, it connects into the NH47 very nicely. At Chennimalai there is a temple and all folks on the road, so a small slow down for 100-200m or so. Nothing major. And this route is very scenic. Sulur is also a little crowded but not bad at all. Go for it.

I am driving to Bangalore on November 7th (Sunday). I would be reaching Coimbatore ByPass by 12:00 noon. Is it better to take this route? If yes, how do I proceed?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 5th November 2010, 13:38   #26
BHPian

Pramod: So we have two options coming into TN from the NH47.

1. After the border crossing, after you cross Madukarai area (see map - be on the NH) you should be able to see directions for Mysore (via Sathy) on the NH209 towards left and Pollachi to the right. Take the left to Sathy/Mysore. Btw, you can actually take it to Kollegal/Malavalli and then to Bangalore! If you want to go via Krishnagiri at Sathy you can come down to Chittode. However all this is thru think city crowd though Sunday should be ok to drive thru.

2. Dont take the above diversion, drive further down, leave one junction and at the next junction you would see a right direction to Trichy. NH67. Take that and drive all the way till Palladam. From there ask for Kangeyam and then to Perundurai.

If you are keen on having 4L as much as possible option 2 is good. Go for it.
I dont know what the feeling is in the community regards taking Sathy/Chamrajnagar/Bangalore. Anyone?

4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47-nh67nh209.jpg

Last edited by jeevmenon : 5th November 2010 at 13:41.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:42   #27
BHPian

Just back from CBE and in Anna Nagar. Tried the Sathy route as decided last week. Not worth it guys! Took an hour extra though 30 km extra. Kangayam/Palladam is much better and takes almost same time as the Avinashi road. Issues with Sathy route: Houses all thro on the route, reduction of road traffic as one left the city took more time than usual. If one hits Avinashi (its 4 lane (infact 6 lane) for 20 km into the NH and one feels better - not so in the case of the Sathy route.) Sulur road it gets better after you leave the city because houses vanish fast. Sathy route - quite some TVS moped/bike traffic, people movement.

Overall, the NH was choc-o-bloc with holiday season traffic, toll gates taking 5 min with queues of upto 7-8 vehicles, no parking in A2B (Dharmapuri), Chola restaurant at Vanniyambadi all seats were occupied at 3 pm for lunch and 20 odd vehicles (never seen so many.) and to add to it heavy rain right from Chittode to Vellore, which later reduced to light rains and then to a drizzle at 6:45 pm in the city. Cyclone Jal forces the school principal to send sms informing of the closure tomorrow. Neha screams. When will my office send me a sms?
Old 7th November 2010, 20:58   #28
Team-BHP Support

Jeev,

Did you try the following?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2121400

This I thought was less populated.

Use the Mettur-Sathy portion to come to NH7.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:36   #29
BHPian

Thanks Ampere. Ampere: Did you do the route you mentioned? I am very interested to know the time difference between NH and alternative route. You are off the NH right at Thoppur (long way to CBE) ? Time-of-day/date/weather? Were both the journeys around the same time? We should have 2 drivers split at Thoppur and meet at CBE, both having similar driving skills/speed.

I am just trying to avoid Avinashi [bad stretch of Chengapalli to Neelampur (40 km) ] - nothing more. I trust the GQ/NH4(6/7) anyday over any other road for speed. I lost on the Perundurai-Chengapalli NH usage during my onward journey and Chengapalli-Chittode of the NH on my return. Henceforth, I want to hit the NH asap. I was sort of frustrated when we checked the old logs while traveling. Once we had started at around 9:45 am at CBE and at 11:30 we had covered 180 km on the NH - just beyond Salem. Wow! (And that day the driving time was 6:56 hrs) And yesterday, heck! Just before 12 we were only at Bhavani!

No matter what people say distance wise, scenery, all that... need to stick to GQ/NH4(6/7) as far as possible. Take the smallest detour from it and get back to it as quickly as possible. Another thing, the Sathy route was too curvy and so over-taking could not been done at times waiting for the road to straighten.

I read the kerala road conditions thread and a last saturday travel mentioned Avinashi not to be too bad. It has diversions marked well and traffic does not slow down is what was said. I wanted to find Sathy route and having found it out, I will never go that way.

Next trip in December will be once via Kangayam and the return will be via Avinashi.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 8th November 2010 at 09:41.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:23   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

good that they have taken up this work.

the 4 lane highway to coimbatore all the way from Bangalore is truly a pleasure to drive.

this last bit between Avanashi and Coimbatore was really a come-down on an otherwise enjoyable drive. glad they have taken it up - hope they complete it soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks