Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:07   #1
BHPian

4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Guys,

I had been to Coimbatore today and the 4 Laning work has started in the Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch. They have started bridge works initially and this happens in atleast about 10-12 points. Each point has a road diversion and traffic completely slows down.

The 100km Erode-Coimbatore stretch that i usually do in about 1.30hrs to 1.45hrs depending upon traffic, took me about 2.30hrs today and in day light! It can be easily more during the night owing to truck traffic and visibility issues.

So be prepared for delays, be patient and keep your cool by not trying to jump vehicles during pile up!(I was extremely frustrated with this behavior from some fellow motorists today).

Alternate routes:
Break at Bhavani-Athani-Sathy-CBE
Break at Chithode-Gobi-Sathy-CBE
Break at Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur-CBE
Break at Avinashi-Annur-CBE

Each one of these routes have their pros and cons and depending upon where your destination is, you can consider the alternative.

More discussions and thoughts from road/travel experts- Welcome!
Old 2nd November 2010, 06:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

CBE By-pass to Kerala can be through Pollachi during day time.
(Just an option). Folks please comment. Seeing how bad CBE-Palakkad is today, can this be a good alternate?

Total detour : 20 Km

National Highway 47 to National Highway 47 - Google Maps
Old 2nd November 2010, 07:39   #3
BHPian

Yes, the Avinashi - Coimbatore stretch should be avoided, especially having driven on a 4 - lane highway for over 400 KMs, this small stretch really tests your patience. The last time I visited Coimbatore was in August 2010 and there were no symptoms of the 4-lane work on this stretch. It is good to know that the work has started. I drive to Coimbatore once or some times more than once a year. The next time when drive to Coimbatore, I should try the alternate routes.
Old 2nd November 2010, 08:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a good new indeed that NH47 is picking up. I've been hearing about this NH47 atleast a decade ago & its only now this thing is picking up pace. Meanwhile most projects that have started after this has been almost over.

Its a pain crossing Avinashi & hopefully these guys complete it on or before the closure date so that we can experience a seamless drive all way from Chennai/BLR to Kochi.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:17   #5
BHPian

Or as I asked the other day. Trichy-CBE via Karur.

More realistically, I would want to try one of the suggestions given by luvurride. I am going this weekend and I go to the south of CBE - close to Podanur. So Perundurai/Kangeyam looks logical, but somehow the NH209 is tempting so might tilt to take the Sathy-CBE. So towards this what would the forum guys prefer? Bhavani-Athani or Chithode-Gobi?

And I wont take Avinashi for sure!
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Last visit to Coimbatore I took this route after Salem I took this route Chithode - Gobichettipalaiyam - Nambiyur - Punjai Pulliampatty -CBE.The road is drivable from Nambiyur to Punjai Pulliampatty some intersections needs to ask locals regarding the route.Can be done in the daytime, minimal traffic. Nambiyur to Punjai Pulliampatty is not mentioned in the maps.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
CBE By-pass to Kerala can be through Pollachi during day time.
(Just an option). Folks please comment. Seeing how bad CBE-Palakkad is today, can this be a good alternate?

Total detour : 20 Km

Its not worth going all the way to Pollachi to come back to Palakkad.CBE-Pollachi traffic is also very dense.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:41   #8
BHPian

Folks, this is bad news for me. I'm driving to Palakkad tomorrow afternoon (1 pm). This will not help me reach Palakkad by 8 or 9 pm.

Please suggest alternatives if you know the area well. Does this detour(via Tiruppur) help? Are these roads good?

Old 2nd November 2010, 12:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Last visit to Coimbatore I took this route after Salem I took this route Chithode - Gobichettipalaiyam - Nambiyur - Punjai Pulliampatty -CBE.The road is drivable from Nambiyur to Punjai Pulliampatty some intersections needs to ask locals regarding the route.Can be done in the daytime, minimal traffic. Nambiyur to Punjai Pulliampatty is not mentioned in the maps.
I hail from one of those small villages near Nambiyur. Chithode - Gobi - Sathy - Punjai Puliampatty - Annur - CBE is more advisable route if you are on a long trip. Gobi - Nambiyur - P.Puliampatty road could both test your patience and navigating skills (and your language skills if you are non-Tamil)

OT: My friend had to play translator between his mom and his collage friend from Tirunelveli. So vast is the difference in language in the dialects. Imagine a suffix "nga" or "ngnga" for every verb and the ending word in the sentence
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:59   #10
BHPian

ranjitp1: 40 km of pre-Avinashi to V-fork (Cbe bypass start) can be avoided with 20 km of additional Pollachi detour. But, is the Tirupur-Palladam-Pollachi road so traffic prone? Anyone done this off-late? Please let us know time of day and time taken and traffic conditions.

EDIT: ranjitp1: Probably you are suggesting Palladam-Sulur-Kamachipuram and then NH47. Is this good?

tachobells: Probably your research on Mysore-Chamrajnagar-Sathy-CBE makes you take the Salem route and you are tending to take Pollachi.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 2nd November 2010 at 13:06.
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:32   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Its not worth going all the way to Pollachi to come back to Palakkad.CBE-Pollachi traffic is also very dense.
Ranjit, As Jeev mentioned, what I meant was :

Avinash-Palladam-Thrippu-Pollachi.

(I meant to avoid CBE-Pollachi).
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Folks, this is bad news for me. I'm driving to Palakkad tomorrow afternoon (1 pm). This will not help me reach Palakkad by 8 or 9 pm.

Please suggest alternatives if you know the area well. Does this detour(via Tiruppur) help? Are these roads good?

Roads are good, but you would end up going through the entire Tirupur town and is definitely not advisable during any time of the day as Tirupur town is congested with lots of 2 wheeler traffic. Instead, you can think of breaking at Vijayamangalam-Uthukuli-Tirupur-Palladam as this will position you better to reach Palladam route once you enter Tirupur.

If you are heading south of CBE, you can try Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur which will put you directly onto the CBE by-pass and the roads are good all the way. Just one note of caution, after about 15kms you pass Kangeyam, you will hit a T-junction. Make a left here and take an immediate right in about less than 1/2 a km. This road will not look good when you enter, but dont be skeptical-this is the right route. If you keep straight, you'll get to Dharapuram.
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Or as I asked the other day. Trichy-CBE via Karur.

More realistically, I would want to try one of the suggestions given by luvurride. I am going this weekend and I go to the south of CBE - close to Podanur. So Perundurai/Kangeyam looks logical, but somehow the NH209 is tempting so might tilt to take the Sathy-CBE. So towards this what would the forum guys prefer? Bhavani-Athani or Chithode-Gobi?

And I wont take Avinashi for sure!
Again, Trichy-Karur section is bad! I would say Avinashi-CBE is definitely better than Trichy-Karur!

Chithode-Gobi is the regular route among locals and a NH. Bhavani-Athani is a state highway and not-so-popular as the other. Just be cautious to take the Chithode exit which comes immediately after you pass Bhavani.

Once you exit, there is a Aavin milk parlor on the road side(Aavin Dairy is situated here) just before you reach Chithode on this SH where you can refresh with delicious Aavin milk products.(My personal recommendations- Milk Khoa, flavoured milk).
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:45   #14
BHPian

Thanks luvurride. You have given the go ahead for the Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur road and I will be taking it this weekend. On the way back I will try the Sathy road into Chittode. No partiality. Both around the same 120 km and 25km more than the NH47. I will give you an update on the first section Friday afternoon. And hopefully others do the same - tachobells - more from you as soon as you pass this one way. And by the way Chittode-Gobi is SH15.
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Again, Trichy-Karur section is bad! I would say Avinashi-CBE is definitely better than Trichy-Karur!.
You don't need to go via Trichy to reach Karur, I have made a comment in the other thread as well where Jeev had posted his query. You could go via Perambalur & Thuraiyur and join NH67 at Musiri which would save you a lot of trouble in the Trichy - Karur section.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks