Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:27   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Goa

Anybody here done a Goa-Hyd?

What is the preferred route for day time and night time drive?

Thanks,
Ashish.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:53   #2
BHPian

There are lots of threads on the route in this forum, suggest you do a search first.
Otherwise the best route is Hyd-NH9-Hommnabad-SH-Gulbarga-Bijapur-Belgaon-Saantwadi-Goa. Drive any time of the day should be good. Places to stay in case of a night-halt would be Bijapur which has decent hotels.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

The best route would be Hyderabad-Jadcherla-Raichur-Lingsugur-Bagalkot-Belgaum-Goa

Hyderabad-4am
Raichur-8am (breakfast)
Bagalkot-12:30-(break)
Belgaum-5-30pm (break)
Goa-9pm.

Doable in one day.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 3rd November 2010 at 11:36. Reason: Edit
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Raichur route and the one via Gulbarga and Bijapur may be in a mess after the monsoons. I suggest you stick to mobike008's preferred route:
Hyd-Homnabad-Solapur-Mohol-Pandharpur-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim, which is around 790 kms.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:51   #5
BHPian

Know people who have done the Gulbarga-Bijapur route last week. The State Highways are in good condition. The Sholapur route is much longer.
Old 4th November 2010, 07:25   #6
BHPian

The road from gulbarga to bijapur (160km) is a blast, i did that in under 2 hours at night last year, very smooth road. But, i wouldnt say the same for bagalkot area, terrible roads.

You better stick to NH9 and go via sholapur, kolhapur, belgaum. Must avoid the forest area (londa) and check the road condition from amboli ghat onwards.

have a safe drive and dont carry any bottles and stuff in the car.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:08   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys! How much time does it take on an average?
Old 4th November 2010, 11:41   #8
BHPian

I have taken around 4-5 different routes to Goa. It has taken 12-14 hrs on average based on the following parameters:
1. where and when you are starting from Hyd
2. where you are going in Goa (ex: to north goa vs south goa via Amboli vs karwar)
3. road conditions after the monsoon on that particular year
4. No of halts/breaks you are taking (I have taken around 2 hrs break).

It is safe to consider 14 hrs with 2 hrs break on the way.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Know people who have done the Gulbarga-Bijapur route last week. The State Highways are in good condition. The Sholapur route is much longer.
I agree. I did that stretch from Bijapur to Gulbarga last year on September end, and narrowly missed the cyclone by a day. The road was one of the best I've driven on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
The road from gulbarga to bijapur (160km) is a blast, i did that in under 2 hours at night last year, very smooth road. But, i wouldnt say the same for bagalkot area, terrible roads.

You better stick to NH9 and go via sholapur, kolhapur, belgaum. Must avoid the forest area (londa) and check the road condition from amboli ghat onwards.

have a safe drive and dont carry any bottles and stuff in the car.
+1 to your views. We tried the route via Sankeshwar to Bijapur last year. We missed the main turn to Chikkodi and Athni, and ended up going via Mahalingpur. The roads were truely in a terrible state. It took us 3 hours to travel 80 kms.

Last edited by vnabhi : 4th November 2010 at 11:59.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The Raichur route and the one via Gulbarga and Bijapur may be in a mess after the monsoons. I suggest you stick to mobike008's preferred route:
Hyd-Homnabad-Solapur-Mohol-Pandharpur-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim, which is around 790 kms.
Venu, i wouldnt suggest this route now especially after monsoons as it may not be that good. Last year i didnt have a good experience on this route as you may too might have experienced.

There is a plan brewing for 19th weekend, i may take the Gulbarga route this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The best route would be Hyderabad-Jadcherla-Raichur-Lingsugur-Bagalkot-Belgaum-Goa

Hyderabad-4am
Raichur-8am (breakfast)
Belgaum-5-30pm (break)
Goa-9pm.

Doable in one day.

This route would be completely in shambles after the monsoon. I wouldnt recommend this one. I think Srimath took this route and took londa ghat and spent 2 hours to cover 10kms.

Srimath has done Hyd-Goa last week. Lets ask him to respond here on his route experience.

First preference is via. Gulbarga, Bijapur

Second Preference is via Sholapur.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th November 2010 at 11:22.
Old 6th November 2010, 12:44   #11
BHPian

I have done the Hyderabad- Belgaum route about 2 years back and still have very fond memories of the road from Humnabad to Belgaum.

This road was one of the best that I have driven on till date.

The route that I had taken was Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Jevargi-Sindgi-Bijapur-Jamkhandi-Mudhol-Lokapur-Belgaum.

Humnabab to Belgaum was a breeze with excellent quality roads and very less traffic..would strongly suggest this route atleast till Belgaum.

Not too sure on the present road conditions on this route, however the the quality of the roads was so good that time,that the rains would have not played havoc(I hope) on this section.
Old 7th November 2010, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Hyderabad-4am
Raichur-8am (breakfast)
Belgaum-5-30pm (break)
Goa-9pm.
Doable in one day.
I drove down to Goa on the 28th. The above route is the shortest to Goa. The road is very smooth except for 40-50 KM between Raichur & Lingasugur. Started off from DSNR at 9.30 PM. 1 hour break abt Jadcherla for dinner, Reached Belgaum at 7.00 AM. Missed the route to Amboli and ended up taking the Khanapur-Jamboty-Chorla route. This ghat is one of the worst I ever travelled on. There is nothing called a road. You can only drive on rocks and craters. Ended up reaching Calangute around 3-3.30 PM.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:33   #13
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Goa

Driving there on the 23rd. Thinking of taking the Gulbarga - Bijapur - Belgaum route as per your suggestions. Some questions..

1) Any updates on the condition of the road or any suggestions on change of route?
2) How will I go from Belgaum to Panjim? Some suggestions were via Sawantadi, but that appears to be a longer route when seen on Google Maps.

This is a long shot, but anyone driving down to Goa on 23rd?

---

P.S. Some links to Google Maps as per your suggestions:

neel385: http://goo.gl/oCLyq
SILVERWOOD: http://goo.gl/qZIi0
vnabhi: http://goo.gl/1bZmX
zen91: http://goo.gl/354Wi

Last edited by ashishy : 13th December 2010 at 12:36. Reason: To Update Links
Old 13th December 2010, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
2) How will I go from Belgaum to Panjim? Some suggestions were via Sawantadi, but that appears to be a longer route when seen on Google Maps
Stick to Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi. That is the best route to reach Goa. The other ghats(Londa\Chorla\Tillary) are all terrible.

Update on HYD-GOA via Raichur-Bagalkot-Belgaum
Also HYD-GOA is easily doable in 1 day. Friends started at 9.15 PM last night from Rd12, Banjara Hills. They reached Calangute around 12.00 noon today including breaks(close to 2 hours).

Last edited by srimath : 13th December 2010 at 14:39. Reason: Update
Old 13th December 2010, 16:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
Stick to Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi. That is the best route to reach Goa. The other ghats(Londa\Chorla\Tillary) are all terrible.

Update on HYD-GOA via Raichur-Bagalkot-Belgaum
Also HYD-GOA is easily doable in 1 day. Friends started at 9.15 PM last night from Rd12, Banjara Hills. They reached Calangute around 12.00 noon today including breaks(close to 2 hours).
thanks! I'm thinking of taking this route now.. little confused.

Also, where are the good petrol pumps? My Optra should be capable to do around 500 kms with full tank.

Most Viewed