Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 16:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

@hvkumar.
Some change in programme..
couple of members felt that the above schedulel is very tight (they dont want to get up early in the morning and get ready to move..)

Now, the new suggestion is to go one direction i.e to south.

Kannur/guruvayur/thrissur/alappuzha/Tvm/Kanyakumari and then back home.
proposed place of overnight stay is at Guruvayur, alappuzha,TVM and may be KK also. (have sufficient time to relax and travel?)

Besides Guruvayur / Vadakkumnathan / ambalapuzha / TVM - and in tamil nadu- temples like Kumaracoil (near thuckalay) / suchindram / KK, I have no other ideas about any other major temples enroute?

Do you recommend anything important??
Old 9th November 2010, 20:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well, you are going into the Sabarimala season and that means high levels of traffic and large crowds in all Kl temples. For that reason, I would think that this may be an inappropriate time for KL temples, but ideal to cover Tn temples.

Lots of temples to choose from. I would also try to cover Chengannur, Oachira, Chettikulangara, Mannarkad in central KL, apart from the temples in the Trissur belt such as Kodungallur apart from Guruvayur.

You must visit some of the temples like Tripayaru in KK district on the way to KK.

Maybe you can also nip in and cover Tiruchendur, which is 2 hours north of KK.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HVK
The date of our travel is now finalised for 6th december which is not a peak sabarimala season (Mandala pooja is on 27th December and the real Rush starts just 10/15 days before pooja).
Anyway oldest members of the group and ladies are in the opinion not to fix a tight travelling schedule.
As of the present itinerary, we have more time in TVM and KK so may look into the option of going to Tiruchendur also.
Thanks!!
Old 10th November 2010, 14:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@hvkumar.
Some change in programme..
couple of members felt that the above schedulel is very tight (they dont want to get up early in the morning and get ready to move..)

Now, the new suggestion is to go one direction i.e to south.

Kannur/guruvayur/thrissur/alappuzha/Tvm/Kanyakumari and then back home.
proposed place of overnight stay is at Guruvayur, alappuzha,TVM and may be KK also. (have sufficient time to relax and travel?)

Besides Guruvayur / Vadakkumnathan / ambalapuzha / TVM - and in tamil nadu- temples like Kumaracoil (near thuckalay) / suchindram / KK, I have no other ideas about any other major temples enroute?

Do you recommend anything important??
Oachira temple is right on the NH47. (Near Kayankulam). So it can be covered without any deviation.
Oachira -Chettikulangara will be around 15KM and Oachira-Chengannur is near 30KM. (both on same direction/road).

So, on the day when you plan alappuzha stay, you can probably cover ,Oachira,Chettikulangara,Chengannur,Ambalappuzha etc.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

Chottanikkara and the Vaikom temple may also be worth stopping at.
You have big choice now!
Old 10th November 2010, 16:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @mykal shoemaker and @ampere. seems nice.

Will keep your above suggestions in our list
Old 11th November 2010, 20:03   #22
BHPian

Please check out the url Temples of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for district-wise temple listings from south to north of Kerala. Will help you choose some of them during your trip.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Please check out the url Temples of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for district-wise temple listings from south to north of Kerala. Will help you choose some of them during your trip.
Thanks your suggestion.
(sorry I have seen your above post only today,as last 2 days I was out.- just gone to Kollur, mookambika temple and came back!)
Old 15th November 2010, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Quote:
Thanks your suggestion.
(sorry I have seen your above post only today,as last 2 days I was out.- just gone to Kollur, mookambika temple and came back!)
This link has more detailed info with approx distance from NH47.
Temples Kerala India

It can be kept as a reference.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

@mykal shoemaker
Thanks for the link - yes, I will keep a copy with me and select more important temples from the list (as not possible to visit all temples listed therein).

Also the list is given only upto Parassala (its the border of kerala -say last town in kerala before the border between Kerala and Tamil Nadu) and after parassala, there are more temples. Anyway I know the places from TVM to Kanyakumari hence no problem.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:40   #26
BHPian

Hi nairrk,
Hope you had a good trip to Kollur. Can you brief on the route, road conditions and accomodation details of your Kollur trip?
Thanks.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ajithbr
Hi.. regarding road conditions - I have already given a small briefing in the other section i.e ''Monsoons- Road conditions/update'' post no.402. Please see that thread and if you need any further details, I will try to provide.
Accommodation - I stayed in 'Swaparnika' - little away (but still walking distance from temple) from the temple, plenty of parking big rooms, but old building. They charged me Rs.600 for A/c Room with Rs.150 for extra bed. They guarantee electricity only from 6pm to 6 am ie. even if no electicity they will give supply through generator(electricity shortage in that area),but no generator service during day time. Hot water/cold water facility is available.

Food is normal/ordinary in all hotels (I didnt like, but need to adjust, Night time we had food from the temple - annadhanam). If you are reaching there on holidays/saturdays/sundays then better to book rooms in advance.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ajithbr
Hi.. regarding road conditions - I have already given a small briefing in the other section i.e ''Monsoons- Road conditions/update'' post no.402. Please see that thread and if you need any further details, I will try to provide.
Accommodation - I stayed in 'Swaparnika' - little away (but still walking distance from temple) from the temple, plenty of parking big rooms, but old building. They charged me Rs.600 for A/c Room with Rs.150 for extra bed. They guarantee electricity only from 6pm to 6 am ie. even if no electicity they will give supply through generator(electricity shortage in that area),but no generator service during day time. Hot water/cold water facility is available.

Food is normal/ordinary in all hotels (I didnt like, but need to adjust, Night time we had food from the temple - annadhanam). If you are reaching there on holidays/saturdays/sundays then better to book rooms in advance.
Hi Nairrk,
I need to travel from calicut to Kannur and back this weekend. whats the best route and hows the road conditions there? I am told the distance is about 110kms. Staying at the Taj getaway.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Hi Nairrk,
I need to travel from calicut to Kannur and back this weekend. whats the best route and hows the road conditions there? I am told the distance is about 110kms. Staying at the Taj getaway.
I thought of answering this. The ONLY BEST route from Calicut to Kannur is NH17. The road is single line with lots of traffic. Road condition should be ok with pot holes due to monsoon rain.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 25th November 2010, 22:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Hi Nairrk,
Hi, if you are travelling between both town only, then best is by Rail (if using public transport). There are lots of trains running between these places. Buses will take ~3hrs and train will take ~2hrs.

If you are driving or hiring a cab, the only option is NH17.

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed