Team-BHP - Trivandrum-Thekkady-Alleppey-Cochin
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Trivandrum-Thekkady-Alleppey-Cochin (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/91808-trivandrum-thekkady-alleppey-cochin.html)

Hi guys

So, I've checked out the threads already available around the place for Thekkady and Alleppey, but I've got a specific question about this route.

So, I'm planning a road trip around Kerala (I'll be hiring a car and organising a driver, because I'm not sufficiently confident to drive on Indian roads), and the plan is to travel from Trivandrum to Thekkady, spend a couple of days in Thekkady, then drive across to Alleppey for a couple of nights on a houseboat then on to Cochin.

What I'm after is any suggestions for villages/towns/lookouts en route on any of these legs that I should stop off at. I don't want to do a tourist-y trip, and would really like to get a feel for the place (yes, I know, this is difficult in a week, but, as much as it is possible within those constraints).

If I want to take it slow, and explore places en route, how much time should I leave myself on each of these legs?

Also, I'll have about a day in Cochin - is it worth making the trek to Kodanad?

Any other suggestions for this kind of trip would be awesome.

Also, I'll be in Trivandrum on NYE. Any suggestions for places to go for NYE? I wouldn't mind checking out a band or something like that. I was introduced to Avial (the band), and quite like their sound, so anything of the kind would be awesome.

Look forward to responses!

Hi guys

So, I'm BUMPing this thread - would really like to avail myself of your expertise. (Oh, planned dates are 31 Dec - 6 January, if that helps).

Trivandrum-Thekkady is a fine route which takes you through rubber/ tea plantations and jungles. During the time of your travel, the roads are going to be very congested because of the Sabarimala (a popular temple shrine off your route) pilgrimmage season which means heavy traffic.

On the way to Thekkady, you could perhaps take a detour to Gavi Gavi or go off into the Idukki Dam region (Painavu, KUlamavu, Cheruthoni) Thodupuzha, Kerala 685584, India to Kattappana, Kerala, India - Google Maps

It is not the season for snake boat races, else Aranmula on the way would have been worth a stop over.

You would take the following route to Thekkady:
Trivandrum-Adoor-Chengannur-Tiruvalla-Changanaserry-Kanjirapalli-Mundakayam-Perremede-Gavi-Thekkady

And from Thekkady, maybe you can take the Idukki Dam circuit:
Thekkady-Vagamon-Kattapana-Idukki Dam-Muttom-Thodupuzha

If you are the religious type, maybe you should visit the shrine to Saint Alphonsa, the latest to be canonised (at Bharanaganam, near Vagamon).

And from Thodupuzha, why not visit the Thattekad Bird Sanctuary near Kothamanagalam, before going to Alapuzha or Kochi.

Thodupuzha-Kothamangalam-Thattekad-Kochi/Alapauzha

Thanks HVK! Really appreciate the feedback.

If I were to take the suggested itinerary - what sort of travel time would I be expecting from TVM to Thekkady. I need to be within the park igrounds by 6pm, so, just trying to figure out how early we need to kick off from TVM.

Similarly, what sort of commute time (including time to stop off at the locations you've suggested) should I expect from Thekkady to Alleppey?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheretonext (Post 2146369)

If I were to take the suggested itinerary - what sort of travel time would I be expecting from TVM to Thekkady. I need to be within the park igrounds by 6pm, so, just trying to figure out how early we need to kick off from TVM.

Similarly, what sort of commute time (including time to stop off at the locations you've suggested) should I expect from Thekkady to Alleppey?

I'm not sure of the current road conditions, if the roads are in decent shape Trivandrum to Changanacherry should take you a maximum of 3 hours. (Around 140 kms). From Changanacherry to Thekkady is around 100 to 110 kms, will probably take you approximately 2.5 hours (or may be slightly more depending on the conditions of the ghat section road)

To go to Alleppey from Thekkady it is best to go via Changanacherry once again, so the second part above is applicable there as well. From Changanacherry to Alleppey is about 30 kms, you should be able to do it in about 30 to 40 minutes.

TVM- Changanaserry via MC road is in top condition except for about 25 kms which is in 'average condition'. I did this route about 2.5 months back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kala (Post 2146885)
I'm not sure of the current road conditions, if the roads are in decent shape Trivandrum to Changanacherry should take you a maximum of 3 hours. (Around 140 kms). From Changanacherry to Thekkady is around 100 to 110 kms, will probably take you approximately 2.5 hours (or may be slightly more depending on the conditions of the ghat section road)

To go to Alleppey from Thekkady it is best to go via Changanacherry once again, so the second part above is applicable there as well. From Changanacherry to Alleppey is about 30 kms, you should be able to do it in about 30 to 40 minutes.

Kala, Jeep - thanks a mill for your contributions. :)

By the sounds of it, if I head out at 7 am I should have time aplenty to meander, stop off and check out some of the sights along the way on the TVM-Thekkady leg of the trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep (Post 2146886)
TVM- Changanaserry via MC road is in top condition except for about 25 kms which is in 'average condition'. I did this route about 2.5 months back.

So the stretch between Ayur and Kottarakkara has been repaired?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbraj (Post 2147464)

MC road from Trivandrum to Chengannore stretch is in good condition.I cover Tvm - Chengannur in 2 1/2" Hrs in my Dzire in the morning time.From trivandrum city take bye-pass road to Kazakuttom and take MC road by pass from Kazakuttom to Venjaramoodu. City road from Kesavadaspuram to Mannanthala is under repair and will take few months more to complete.So the route is - Trivandrum - Kazakuttom-Pothencodu- Venjaramoodu - Ayur- Kottarakara- Adoor - Pandalam- Chengannore- Tiruvalla- Chenganacherry-and follow route to Thekkady via Kanjirapally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayygeorge (Post 2147574)
MC road from Trivandrum to Chengannore stretch is in good condition.I cover Tvm - Chengannur in 2 1/2" Hrs in my Dzire in the morning time.From trivandrum city take bye-pass road to Kazakuttom and take MC road by pass from Kazakuttom to Venjaramoodu. City road from Kesavadaspuram to Mannanthala is under repair and will take few months more to complete.So the route is - Trivandrum - Kazakuttom-Pothencodu- Venjaramoodu - Ayur- Kottarakara- Adoor - Pandalam- Chengannore- Tiruvalla- Chenganacherry-and follow route to Thekkady via Kanjirapally.

+1 to that.
I came on the MC Road yesterday night from Adoor to Trivandrum (90 kms or so) and the road was simply brilliant - great surface, lovely banking on curves, deep wide shoulders and good road markings (divider lines and reflector lights). And the Venjaramood-Kazhakuttam road is fabulous too except that at Pothencode, be careful not to lose your way since you have to turn there.

The only problem with MC Road is they have those bumps - and not well-marked too - very often, including on curves - so be very careful that you don't fly off (and some onward vehicles does not either!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbraj (Post 2147464)

Super form. Only the usual people-all-over-the place problem1

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheretonext (Post 2146369)

I have driven TVM-Thekkady in 5 hours non0stop, leaving TVM at 4 am, before activity has started in earnest on MC Road till Changanaserry.
Allow for 2-3 hours extra for stops, later starts and slower speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayygeorge (Post 2147574)
City road from Kesavadaspuram to Mannanthala is under repair

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 2147583)
And the Venjaramood-Kazhakuttam road is fabulous too except that at Pothencode, be careful not to lose your way since you have to turn there.

I had heard of the road condition near Mannanthala.

Where exactly near Kazhakuttam should one take the deviation off NH47 to Venjaramood? There is one road at Sreekaryam junction going to Pothencode. That one? Or the one just before Attingal to Venjaramood?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbraj (Post 2147646)

Where exactly near Kazhakuttam should one take the deviation off NH47 to Venjaramood? There is one road at Sreekaryam junction going to Pothencode. That one? Or the one just before Attingal to Venjaramood?

From Kazakuttom junction follow NH-47 towards Kollam,watch for Hotel Al-SAJ on left, go forward little more looking for the road to right leading to the Sainik school, KINFRA etc.This is the By-pass road connecting NH-47 and MC road(Main Central Road).The junction is not marked with any traffic signal or traffic island.Only a blinking traffic warning light is there.You may find a homeguard or traffic police near the junction during day time.The junction's name is "VETTU Road" I think.If you miss the junction,then after 200-250 Mts you will find Kaniyapuram KSRTC bus stand on the right.So you can come back and find the Kazakuttam-Venjaramoodu road.
In the above road,After reaching Pothencodu Jn, you will find the new road merging with two small roads. Take the right one , after 50 Mts the road again divides, Take a 180 Deg turn . Now you will enter the main junction of Pothencodu.At main junction take left turn and follow the road to Venjaramoodu.It is better to ask some one to guide to avoid confusion at Pothencodu.
From Pothencodu Jn on the way to Venjaramoodu , after 2 Km on the left you can find "SANTHIGIRI ASHRAMAM" and the new "PARNASALA" with a huge marvelous white marble Lotus. It is opened for the public.The sanyasins there will be happy to greet you.
Drive in MC road is enjoyable if you start early in the morning.During office hours be careful about mobile speed radar cameras of police as well as Motor vehicle dept.Limit your speed to 70 KMPH.
As you said about the road from Sreekariyam.If you are coming from Trivandrum city via Pattom, kesavasapuram or medical college , Ulloor , pongumoodu road.Then take turn to right at Sreekariyam.After about 200 Mt the road divides, left one goes to Pothencodu via Chempazhanthy. Right one goes to Pawdikonam. Follow the left road, this will take you to the same Kazakuttom- Venjaramoodu road at Kattayikonam.Road from Sreekariyam to Kattayikonam is not that good.
You will hear a lot of places ending with "KONAM" in Trivandrum - LOL !!!!:uncontrol:uncontrol:uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbraj (Post 2147646)

While coming from city, it is shorter to take the right turn at Sreekaryam.
I had taken this road on Nov 1st. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to give directions. Road condition was Ok.