Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 14:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ranthambore Query

TravelGurus,
One of my friend is travelling to Delhi in the first week of December and he wants to visit Ranthambore. He has 2 days for this including travel from/to Delhi.
What are the best way to do this ? Where to stay ?

How is RTDC's Hotel Vinayak in Sawai Madhopur? If he stays there, what's the best way to commute to Ranthambore? He plans to take 2 safaris(Morning and Evening).

Also which reserve is better in Ranthambore. There are 4 reserves as per the online safari booking.
Following are the 4 reserves.
Ranthambore NP Zone
Kundal
Chidikho
Balas

When i checked online booking for safari, Gypsy's for 1st reserve is booked already. Any idea if we can get Gypsy's on the day of safari ?
Old 9th November 2010, 15:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

there is a train leaving at 10:30pm or so, and reaching 3:40am (both ways). then sign up with the hotel. RTDC normally wont run around as much as privates will do.
Rajasthan Wildlife,Wild Life Rajasthan,Rajasthan Wildlife Sanctuary

if there's zero availability online then try the hotels if they have cars with space.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Its very close to Sawai Madhopur. He can stay there, go and come back. Just note many fast trains dont stop at Sawai Madhopur. (SMP)

But its good that SMP on the Delhi-Mumbai mainline. So will find many trains.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Actually even the agust kranti rajdhani stops here. Besides this there are many superfast trains. Nearest air head I suppose is jaipur.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Actually even the agust kranti rajdhani stops here. Besides this there are many superfast trains. Nearest air head I suppose is jaipur.
Exactly. Thats the issue. All trains dont stop. The other Rajdhani would not stop there but at Kota. Hence need to check accordingly.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Exactly. Thats the issue. All trains dont stop. The other Rajdhani would not stop there but at Kota. Hence need to check accordingly.
Its not really that difficult. The 2951/2952 is the Big Daddy Rajdhani that does not stop at SWM. But 2953/2954, August Kranti rajdhani stops here. So all you need to do is book on the 2953/2954.
Old 10th November 2010, 07:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about RTDC Hotel Vinayak, but I definitely know that RTDC's Jhoomar Baori on top of a hillock is worth a stay. The tariff is fractional of what you would otherwise pay at any other palace. If you don't get RTDC then you can stay any of the other hotels, most have parking place and their own safari vehicles.

Most trains stop at Sawai Madhopur. The best bet would be to take the night train Dheradun - Mumbai IIRC as suggested by phamilyman. You reach pretty early and to go get the room, freshen up and set out for the safari.
Old 10th November 2010, 08:03   #8
Sha
BHPian

RDTC vinayak is average hotel, the only hotel which is good is inside the forest and in small mountain RDTC Jhoomar place, this hotel is really good, the price is 4300 MAP for double room and 6000 MAP for suite. The location is good and scenic, other resorts are all in habitat area not worth for the cost.
Now about Safari, everybody has to book online for safari ride, either hotel will do or you can do it yourself if you have patience. RTDC hotel will never do booking for you you have to book online I do not know about other hotels.
Ranthmore is strict private vehicles are not allowed inside, there are about 50 Gypsy and 35 Canter which take you inside forest.
First book the safari ride online and then book the hotel otherwise its no use if there is no safari ride lot and hotels cannot do nothing.
there are about 8 routes inside forest and everything is alloted by computer to avoid corruption itseems thats what told to me.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot to all of you for suggestions.
Hotels are available but the main problem he is facing is, he is unable to get the Gypsy safari and only option he has now to take the Canter Safari. How is the experience in the Canter Safari ?
Because of non-availability of Gypsy Safari, he is thinking is it worth going all the way.
Let me know your experiences in Canter Safari. If it is worth taking that than he would go ahead with the plan.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:48   #10
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Thanks a lot to all of you for suggestions.
Hotels are available but the main problem he is facing is, he is unable to get the Gypsy safari and only option he has now to take the Canter Safari. How is the experience in the Canter Safari ?
Because of non-availability of Gypsy Safari, he is thinking is it worth going all the way.
Let me know your experiences in Canter Safari. If it is worth taking that than he would go ahead with the plan.
Gypsy safari are the best for spotting the tiger, I went 2 times in canter and one time in Gypsy and I spotted tiger in Gypsy ride.
Canter cannot go where gypsy can go if tiger is spotted otherwise both are same. the ride will be for 2 hrs in the same alloted route area going front and back in the same route.
How man people are going, if its SIX people there is chance of going in Gypsy if you are booked in RTDC hotel.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well not all of them are Canters. There are Swaraj Mazda's as well. And I sold the first lot of 30 there in 2004

That time had a ride in them and the USP was Mazda's were quieter than the Eicher's. Because of the width of the Mazda / Eicher they can't take the narrower lanes but one wouldn't be disappointed as the tiger density is quite high compared to other areas.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Canter cannot go where gypsy can go if tiger is spotted otherwise both are same.
Exactly this is where he is worried about.
And they are only 2 people, husband and wife.
I believe only option now is to call the hotel guys and check with them if they can arrange the safari, right ?
Old 10th November 2010, 10:20   #13
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly this is where he is worried about.
And they are only 2 people, husband and wife.
I believe only option now is to call the hotel guys and check with them if they can arrange the safari, right ?
First thing is book the safari either in Canter or gypsy, there are chance on that day people may not turn out for gypsy ride i had that option but you need to pay (under table), one thing is sure what ever government try to make ranthmore corruption free there ia 100% chance for corruption there.
personally i felt ranthmore is more hyped they have only 42 tigers only good thing about this forest small trees good for sighting.
Hotel guys have no chance of aranging safari even 5 star hotel, they have to book online by entering every individual person detail with identification documents and all this are checked when you take ride.

Last edited by Sha : 10th November 2010 at 10:23.
Old 10th November 2010, 20:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

It does not matter whether you get a canter or a gypsy as long as you get the right zone. The good zones/routes are are always gone to the rich and the famous and I am not sure if the online thing really helps. 2 years ago we got to see 6 tigers from a canter. But yes canter crowd may get noisy and so thats where a gypsy scores as the number allowed in a gypsy is 6-7 while canter takes on almost 14-17 people.
Old 11th November 2010, 01:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Ranthmore is strict private vehicles are not allowed inside, there are about 50 Gypsy and 35 Canter which take you inside forest.
Thats really strange. I went to Panna Tiger reserve. Private vehicles were permitted but taking a guide was compulsory. Basically, to help out in the routes and tracks.

Most Viewed