Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 11:08   #16
BHPian

in the return leg if you are planning to skip kovalam you can directly reach kodai the next day and spend 2 nights in kodai. the climate is also going to be very cold. so you can have an awesome time there
Old 16th November 2010, 11:31   #17
BHPian

Precisely @leylander. Thats the plan. To start from Kanyakumari and drive all the way to Kodai. Spend 2 nights in Kodai and then drive back to Bangalore. This way i break the entire trip into 'doable' segments in terms of driving time. I have done Kodai bangalore in 8 hrs and that seems to be the longest stretch in terms of driving time
Old 30th November 2010, 10:28   #18
BHPian

Hey Guys,

All bookings done and almost all set for the trip. Will be hitting the pedal in a weeks time. I have one doubt though. How do i reach Kodaikanal from Kanyakumari. Three options i see is
1. Drive all the way till Dindigul and take the deviation to Batlagundu and then to Kodai
2. Drive all the way till Kodai Road Station and then take the deviation to Batlagundu and then on to Kodai
3. Drive all the way Tirumangalam and then take the deviation to Batlagundu and then on to Kodai

Whats the best option in terms of time and roads?
Old 30th November 2010, 10:54   #19
Team-BHP Support

Take the Madurai by-pass, drive till Kodai Road and deviate to Batlagundu. Thats the best option.
Old 30th November 2010, 11:34   #20
BHPian

Alright Ampere, will try out that one. Should take me 6-7 hours i guess for this leg of the journey
Old 30th November 2010, 13:47   #21
Team-BHP Support

When I visited Kodai last time, I took the train and has asked the resort guys to arrange for a cab to pick me up. Work very well. Its about 80 Km from the station I think. You easily make it in ~2 hours.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Take the Madurai by-pass, drive till Kodai Road and deviate to Batlagundu. Thats the best option.
Every chance that you might end up missing this deviation to Vethalagundu. I think lightening_fast's 1st route makes sense

Quote:
1. Drive all the way till Dindigul and take the deviation to Batlagundu and then to Kodai
This route is pretty well marked with deviations towards Theni/Kumbum.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:06   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Every chance that you might end up missing this deviation to Vethalagundu. I think lightening_fast's 1st route makes sense

This route is pretty well marked with deviations towards Theni/Kumbum.
Kodai Road is on the NH7. There should be a marker for that I assume (correct me if I am wrong). Else the Dindigul route is always there but around 40 Km more.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:27   #24
BHPian

@rjstyles69 and @Ampere, thanks for the comments. From what i learn from google, the deviation to Batlagundu , is a branch off from NH7 just before Kodai road railway station. But yes, at NH7 speeds, it could be an easy miss. And i am not even sure, if that deviation is well marked. It would be nice if someone could confirm that.
I have done Dindigul -Batlagundu-Kodai from the Bangalore side 4 months back. So even from KK side, i think i should be able to make it without hassles. But it looks like a much longer route than the Kodai Road route. I wouldnt mind it if its 40Kms. Should cost me about 30mins in the overall journey.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:08   #25
BHPian

Guys, any idea on refuelling and food options post Madurai on NH7? Are there any shell refuelling options on NH7 post Madurai.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:48   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Guys, any idea on refuelling and food options post Madurai on NH7? Are there any shell refuelling options on NH7 post Madurai.
You will find some restaurants on in the Tirunelveli town ( Its right next to the main city circle. I forget the name.)
When I landed, it was lunch time and hence was very crowded. We packed curd rice, drove our and had it by the road.

There is one more near Ramnad. Again dont remember the same. Decent places not too great.

Others can comment on the same.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:16   #27
BHPian

Thanks Ampere. Thats some good info. Had no clue about eatouts post Madurai. So this info should help.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:46   #28
Team-BHP Support

Sorry. The hotel at Ramnad you will hit on the way to Rameshwaram and not KK. My mistake. The one at Tirunelveli is all I can think off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks