Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 19:30   #1
BHPian

Mumbai airport-organised crime?

I travelled from Mumbai to Kochi, today, on kingfisher airlines IT-3172 and one pair of ear rings(gold) was stolen from my luggage. I knew it was against the airlines advice regarding keeping valuables in luggage. But then I thought it was Kingfisher and Mumbai airport they are supposed to be good. The highlights are
1. The bag had a number lock( external lock) and I locked it.
2. When I recieved it in Kochi airport the lock was missing. I informed kingfisher persons immediately and opened and checked the bag in front of him.
3. Only the particular jewelary box was taken. The clothes had not been disturbed. It seems that the burgler knew regarding the position of the box. It had other valubles like my camera, which were not touched.
4. In te last week I travelled to mumbai from goa then to calcutta and back to mumbai. Only in Mumbai airport the luggage is not screened in front of our eyes and security tape is not put.
I need help from you guys regarding mail id/numbers for me to lodge complaints. I have already lodged complaint in kingfisher website and mumbai airport feedback.
The questions which needs answers are
1. Mumbai airport supposed to be an excellant one , has security loop holes. They screen baggage in some common area and from my case it is very clear that the X-ray images were available to burglers.
2. Is it a planned activity? because every one knows that passengers can not claim damages since it is against the rule to keep valuables in luggage. Are they waiting for some unsuspecting guys like me to amke a mistake and take advantage
3. More serious issue is if some one places a bomb in my luggage after I hand it over at the counter where boarding pass is issued, how can I prove my innocence.
Why authorities are allowing this to happen at Mumbai airport? How an I complainto somebody like Praful Patel or the airport in charge at Mumbai airport?
Cna anybody help?
Moderators please change the section as I could not find any other place where I can post this. This section already contains one thread by Mr. Kapasi.Thanks
Old 11th November 2010, 20:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow. This is something new to me. Scanning the baggage and telling the robbers which bags have valuables and where.

Salute to the Indian smartness. Only if we applied it in a positive way.

As to where to put complaints in govt depts? Well you can and as it is clear you have but I do not see much good happening. This is Govt of India we are talking of.
However what is surprising is that the Kingfisher guys are keeping a mum. Being a private sector company they should have been more proactive.

This community is a mine of knowledge.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:47   #3
BHPian

I think it happens every now and then.these incidents don't get adequate coverage on media and all.

Found a similar story at:

http://www.karmayog.in/messages/node/22608
Old 11th November 2010, 21:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

This modus Operendi is neither Airport specific or Airline Specific. It has happened on International flights also.

A few days back my cousin and her fiance landed in Delhi from the US. They collected their bag and reached home. There was no sign of any tampering with the bag from the outside, even the locks were inplace. But when they opened their bag electronic stuff from both the bags were missing.

Its a very simple procedure, see how its done in this video and be carefull

regards

Old 11th November 2010, 21:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Wow. This is something new to me. Scanning the baggage and telling the robbers which bags have valuables and where.

Salute to the Indian smartness. Only if we applied it in a positive way.

As to where to put complaints in govt depts? Well you can and as it is clear you have but I do not see much good happening. This is Govt of India we are talking of.
However what is surprising is that the Kingfisher guys are keeping a mum. Being a private sector company they should have been more proactive.

This community is a mine of knowledge.
Same happend to me many many years back and the amount of money stolen was 300/- which I accidently kept in the suitcase. On reaching mumbai from delhi this theft took place and the small pad;lock was broken and was hanging with security tape on it.
I made big noise on reaching mumbai shouting at top of my voice at times abusing the loaders staff,on hearing my shouts other passangers also joined me in the scene.Police was called in and my bag was inspected and police confirmed that lock is broken by someone. I did not say my amount to any one and said it is a huge amount. I told the inspector what the amount was. In the police station I told the fig to the officer he told me that sir chori toh chori hai 300/- ki yaa 3000/- ki. He wrote complaint and said he will keep in touch with me for the progress of the complaint.After about 15 days i called him he said to me havent you read newspapers some loaders are arrested for somr major thefts and I am going to ask them about this case also.
Later I got busy with my work at Aurangabad and forgot about it.LESSON never keep CASH,CAMERA,MOBILE,JEWELARY,in bags you are not carrying in the cabin. You say Praful Patel ,that man will do his best only if you are related to him or give him GAS by telling his higherups to followup the case .Havant you read in papers about some celeberty mobile was found in 48 hrs of time it was stolen.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just imagine a situation when the entire baggage goes missing & they're unable to trace it. What happens? They refund you the money right? I'm not exactly sure as on what basis they calculate the compensation. What happens if they simply target such baggages where prohibited items are carried & they deliberately steal the entire bag? In that case, we can't even lodge a real compensation isn't it?

IMO, this incident is nothing, the worst is yet to come in the near future.
Old 11th November 2010, 22:04   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I was a victim of theft in Mumbai airport. My baggage that arrived from chicago had a broken number lock. Luckily, I'd another side lock (with a key) that they couldn't open. Nothing was missing when I went home and checked from inside the baggage. Guess the buggers got frustrated trying to pry open my baggage which wouldn't open. So they stole the luggage tugging lever kind of attachment (which incidentally locks on to the luggage too. That costs 250 bucks as it serves as secondary lock which can be used to lug the luggage on it's wheels too!

Never ever put your valuables on check in luggage. There is an x-ray outside the terminal before loading on to the luggage trolley vans. Every luggage has to go through that x-ray to ensure nothing was inserted anywhere between where you check-in and where it is loaded on to those trolley vans. And some moron who picks and puts the luggage on to the trolley van if he notices jewellery, can easily steal it before putting it on the trolley van that takes the luggages to the aircraft for loading in the undercarriage.
Old 11th November 2010, 22:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

I have lost two Canon P&S camera from my luggage. Twice and both times on Deccan airways!
Old 12th November 2010, 11:23   #9
BHPian

It seems that such a thread should have been opened long time ago so that people will have information. No wonder big trolleys are being carried as hand baggage. Safety will be the number one reason. This is such a simple crime to solve if authorities are willing to put some effort. Guess they won't wake up.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

These incidences have increased after our existing airports were upgraded with inbagage screening (Delhi and Bombay) and few came up (Hyderabad and Bangalore) with the same facility.

Has anyone faced this problem while flying from airport which still follow the traditional method of luggage screening.?

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 12th November 2010 at 11:41. Reason: Edit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks