Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 20:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Around Jog

Fauji, sir pics look tempting, had stopped by the entrance when i had been to my relatives place sometime back, will make to give a visit next. nice pictures!
Old 12th January 2011, 11:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sushrutha, "shivappa nayak" kote is close by to Hosanagara right? have not explored these places though been travelling around so often. should do it soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I think the fort you are talking about is in Nagara.
Well the picture which I have put of Shivappa Naika's kote is in the River banks of Tunga in Shimoga City.
This kote he used during summer time.
Old 14th January 2011, 19:54   #33
BHPian

I did do that road trip : rather, bus trip. The bus to Linganamakki and got down at Jog, spent sometime at Jog and roamed around Kargal town a bit. I tried finding out if there was some place for a safari, trek, etc. I was told that there was a place called Muppane near there somewhere which I was told was very good. But couldn't find much information then. Of course, I came back and googled and found that indeed was a place worth visiting.

From there I took a bus to Jog back. Soon realized that a majority of the buses from Sagar to Jog don't take the short route to Talaguppa : they all go through longer ( and passenger convenience routes via Kargal ). At Sagar, I didn't get infomration on buses to Honnemaradu. So I tried to get a bus to Sigandur : I was told I just missed the bus and would have to wait for 3 hours. ( P.S. There is no way a bus can run upto Honnemaradu as I figured out during my subsequent trip ! )

Disappointed, I rushed to the KSRTC bus stand at Sagar to atleast go to the Sirsi temple : had to wait for 30 minutes for the bus to arrive and 30 more for it to depart. Completed Sirsi ( for those who understand on a "Shuttle gaadi" ) and came back to Talaguppa. No bus to Jog ( that's where I had to take my bus back from) for about 35 minutes.

Not that I'm new to waiting for buses, but it was realization that we enjoy trips to a large extent because of the comforts our cars provide. The hard way is, well, the hard way . Food's a problem too, BTW. But someday I plan to do a bigger bus trip, of course, with more planning.

And Fauji saab, to get over the disappointment, I followed it up with a trip to the same places, this time with the car and it was great ( The Ikkeri temple was beautiful; I have an incomplete travelogue that I need to wrap up on the travelogue pages ). On my way back ( from the second trip , the car one), Went Sagara - Siralakoppa - Hirekerur - Ranebennur - Bangalore. The Siralakoppa - Ranebennur road is the most frustrating I've come across in the recent times esp near Hirekerur, the roads are nearly absent :(

And BTW, has anyone reversed the directions of the dozens of milestones between Belur and Mudigere : nearly all of them were planted in the opposite direction : i.e if you're travelling away from Mudigere to Belur : the stones keep telling you that you are x kms to Mudigere

Last edited by airguitar : 14th January 2011 at 19:57.
Old 15th January 2011, 05:48   #34
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2011 at 19:37.
sabret00the is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th January 2011, 16:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post

And Fauji saab, to get over the disappointment, I followed it up with a trip to the same places, this time with the car and it was great ( The Ikkeri temple was beautiful; I have an incomplete travelogue that I need to wrap up on the travelogue pages ). On my way back ( from the second trip , the car one), Went Sagara - Siralakoppa - Hirekerur - Ranebennur - Bangalore. The Siralakoppa - Ranebennur road is the most frustrating I've come across in the recent times esp near Hirekerur, the roads are nearly absent :(

And BTW, has anyone reversed the directions of the dozens of milestones between Belur and Mudigere : nearly all of them were planted in the opposite direction : i.e if you're travelling away from Mudigere to Belur : the stones keep telling you that you are x kms to Mudigere
Airguitar,

Bus services in these areas are notoriusly fickle. My sympathies with you for commuting on the stretch between Shiralkoppa and Rani Bennur. I never thought you would take that route as we suffereed in our trip last week.

The roads in Shikaripura taluq is very good - being CM's contituesncy. Once you cross into Haveri district it is bad. If you are visiting Belligave/Bandalike, it makes sense to come back to Shimoga via Shikaripura than take the Shiralakoppa - Hirekerur - Honnali - Harihar or Shiralakoppa - Chikkerur - Hamsabhavi - Byadgi - Motebennur - Davanagere (we took this route and the road between Chikkerur and Byadgi is very bad. being Scorpio we coud manage) to come to Bangalore.

Here is my recommendtaion. Does not make sense to visit belligave/bandalike on its own unless you are doing research. Here are the two options:

Option 1 : Visit Belligave/Bandalike when you are going to Jog from Shivamogga or returning from Jog to Shivamogga.

Option 2 : With Tirthahalli or Shimogga as base, if it is a day trip, you can combine Jog, Gudavi bbird sanctuary, Belligavi/Bandalike together.
Old 17th August 2011, 00:19   #36
BHPian

Jog falls latest information

hi guys anyones been to jog falls lately after hearing of damaged gwalior route im looking to come to south

fauji can you help me iwth latest info

regards'

pravdr
Old 17th August 2011, 07:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jog falls latest information

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
hi guys anyones been to jog falls lately after hearing of damaged gwalior route im looking to come to south

fauji can you help me iwth latest info

regards'

pravdr
I was at Jog falls about 3 weeks back. What info exactly are you looking for?

Cheers
Old 17th August 2011, 11:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

I was at Jog last Saturday. I went from Bengaluru.

If you wanted to know the current intensity of flow/fall then the pictures below can give you an indication.
Attached Thumbnails
Around Jog-jog1.jpg  

Around Jog-jog2.jpg  

Around Jog-jog3.jpg  

safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 11:23   #39
BHPian

What are the options to stay overnight at Jog? We want to plan a 2 day trip to Jog next month.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:28   #40
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
If you have a couple of hours' time and like trekking, you can trek down to the valley. The steps were either damaged or missing completely in many places in 2002 when I did this adventure. I don't know their present status.
  (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 12:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
If you have a couple of hours' time and like trekking, you can trek down to the valley. The steps were either damaged or missing completely in many places in 2002 when I did this adventure. I don't know their present status.
The steps are in good condition now.
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 12:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I went to Jog last month and trekked down to bottom and further on went the edge of the pond where water accumulates. The steps are all fine and it took me about 30 minutes (didn't time myself) to climb down the 1300 steps. But on a timed climb it took me 25 minutes with 1 break. The climb is strictly not advised to people who are not fit. I had gone with people from Great Hyderabad Adventure Club and quite a few people took more than an hour with multiple breaks and suffering breathlessness. And IIRC there are not many places to stay near Jog. Gokarna/Om Beach is about 100 Kms from Jog and can become a good staying option.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 12:57   #43
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
And IIRC there are not many places to stay near Jog.
There are some guest guest houses belonging to government departments [KPCL/PWD/Forest Department], but they will be always full especially during the season. Sagar [35 km] is another option where decent lodges and eateries are situated. See here for the options.
  (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 13:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
What are the options to stay overnight at Jog? We want to plan a 2 day trip to Jog next month.
Try Karnataka Tourism, Official Website, Department of Tourism. link.

You can stay at Sagara or Shimoga.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 13:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

You can book KSTDC hotel at Jog falls here: Welcome to Online Reservation. There is a resort nearby - Stay@matthuga :: Home Stay Near Jog Falls. Also there is good hotel near Sagar. A BHPian had mentioned in the travelogues. Name: Hotel Varadashree. Check here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1520697

There is similar thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...here-stay.html

Last edited by msdivy : 17th August 2011 at 13:17. Reason: Added hotel name, link.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks