Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2013, 17:34   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
Any updates on the route this year? I am planning for a trip from Chennai to Munnar via Tiruchy.
The basic part of the route remains the same. No changes in road conditions.

Chennai-GST-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar. Till Dindigul its 4-lane all the way. Dindigul-Theni is good now. Most works completed.

Beyond Theni, where you hit the ghats, conditions keep changing.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 11:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
Any updates on the route this year? I am planning for a trip from Chennai to Munnar via Tiruchy.
We had been there during weekend of June 01.

In case you dont know, you need to follow the directions for Kodaikanal, for exiting from the Dindigul byepass (to Theni).

Dindigul-Theni --> mostly complete. Watch out for those places where the new road meets old road stretches. There will be a big difference in height. Dangerous if you are doing by night, also the roads were quite new, so no lane markings and any other kind of reflectors. Daytime driving advised.

Bodi-Bodimetu ghat stretch --> some road repairs going on, dont know if it would have finished by now. Roads were bad at the construction spots.

Very good after crossing into Kerala, but the catch being...you need to watch out for very fast-moving 'local' vehicles at curves.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 11:13   #93

sathishanand7@gmail.com

Moderator note: Please use Search to find a relevant thread and continue in it, before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Hi folks, Am planning a trip from Chennai to Munnar(Club Mahindra). I'm taking the Chennai - Ulundurpet - Trichy - Dindugul - Theni - Munnar route. I know the roads are great till Dindugul. Any news on the road conditions from Dindigul to Theni? I also heard that the Theni - Bodinaikanur - Ghat road to Munnar is closed during the day for relaying & therefore one has to take the Theni - Cumbam - Cumbamettu - Poopara - Chinakalal route. Is this true? Any idea as to how is the road conditions?

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks a ton.

Warm Regards
Sathish

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th September 2013 at 11:22.
Old 10th September 2013, 13:44   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
We had been there during weekend of June 01.

In case you dont know, you need to follow the directions for Kodaikanal, for exiting from the Dindigul byepass (to Theni).

Dindigul-Theni --> mostly complete. Watch out for those places where the new road meets old road stretches. There will be a big difference in height. Dangerous if you are doing by night, also the roads were quite new, so no lane markings and any other kind of reflectors. Daytime driving advised.

Bodi-Bodimetu ghat stretch --> some road repairs going on, dont know if it would have finished by now. Roads were bad at the construction spots.

Very good after crossing into Kerala, but the catch being...you need to watch out for very fast-moving 'local' vehicles at curves.

Am planning a trip from Chennai to Munnar(Club Mahindra). I'm taking the Chennai - Ulundurpet - Trichy - Dindugul - Theni - Munnar route. I know the roads are great till Dindugul. Any news on the road conditions from Dindigul to Theni? I also heard that the Theni - Bodinaikanur - Ghat road to Munnar is closed during the day for relaying & therefore one has to take the Theni - Cumbam - Cumbamettu - Poopara - Chinakalal route. Is this true? Any idea as to how is the road conditions?

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks a ton.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:35   #95
BHPian

We drove down from Chennai to Club Mahindra, Munnar yesterday. Till Theni, the road was pretty good. Since the road via Bodi is closed for construction, the Club Mahindra guys had sent a mail asking us to take Kambam -Kambamettu - nedungadam - Poopara route.

Kambam to Kambamettu route has 18 hairpin bends and the road is in pretty bad shape and narrow too. This condition continues till Nedumakadam. After that, we take the Kumizhy-Munnar highway and that road quite good.

It took me total of 3.5 hours from Theni, around 2 hours more than the Bodi route.
Old 25th December 2013, 12:09   #96
BHPian

GPS track log of road from Amaravathi Dam to Palani

Hi,

Will anyone have the GPS track log of the road that connects Amaravathi Dam near to Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary entrance, to Periyampettai near Palani.

I need to ride from Munnar to Palani with out touching Udumalpet. I can turn right at Indira Gandhi Wild life sanctuary exit, as I come from Munnar towards Udumalpet, cross Amaravathi Dam, Crocodile park, come to Periyampettai, turn right at that village, and join the highway from Udumalpet to Palani.

Can someone post the track log if they have one please?
Old 25th December 2013, 13:09   #97
BHPian

Any updates on the road conditions between theni-munnar? is it wise to go through kambam or come through pollachi from chennai?
Old 4th January 2014, 09:42   #98
BHPian

Hello BHP-ians!

Any update on the Theni-Munnar route as I am planning for trip during this week end and accommodation is at Club Mahindra.

I will be starting at 3 am from Chennai and would like to take Chennai-Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-Trichy-Dindugal-Theni-NH 49. Is the construction work on NH 49 over or are we supposed to take cumbummettu route?
Old 10th January 2014, 17:03   #99
BHPian

if any update on this route please share as i am planning to use the theni-munnar route in the next week.

thanks.
Old 10th January 2014, 18:28   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
if any update on this route please share as i am planning to use the theni-munnar route in the next week.

thanks.
Hello Madhukar! I am doing this route tomorrow. However, I was informed by Club Mahindra that this route (NH 49) is open now. Will updated once I do the route.
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 19:15   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post

Hello Madhukar! I am doing this route tomorrow. However, I was informed by Club Mahindra that this route (NH 49) is open now. Will updated once I do the route.
Just a follow up to the above thread. The route between Theni and Munnar is open now. But the condition of the road or absence of it, will really test your nerves. Unless you are from down south of Tamil Nadu, it is better to stick to Udumalpet route. The road after Bodimettu check post is really pathetic with pot holes and worst of all left over boulders at most places due to ongoing road widening work. Though Udumalpet route might result in additional 40 km or so from Chennai, it is still better because of good tarmac and best of all, it is open 24 hours now.
Old 13th January 2014, 22:23   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Just a follow up to the above thread. The route between Theni and Munnar is open now. But the condition of the road or absence of it, will really test your nerves. Unless you are from down south of Tamil Nadu, it is better to stick to Udumalpet route. The road after Bodimettu check post is really pathetic with pot holes and worst of all left over boulders at most places due to ongoing road widening work. Though Udumalpet route might result in additional 40 km or so from Chennai, it is still better because of good tarmac and best of all, it is open 24 hours now.
Thanks buddy for the prompt update. I had almost decided to take the theni-munnar route. i am actually going from bangalore. but thought of going by this route because i have booked at sterling resort(next to club mahindra i suppose) which comes 20-25 kms before munnar. so will need to add those 25 kms if i come from udumalpet.
so now will take the udumalpet-marayoor route.
thanks again.
Old 14th January 2014, 05:50   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post

Thanks buddy for the prompt update. I had almost decided to take the theni-munnar route. i am actually going from bangalore. but thought of going by this route because i have booked at sterling resort(next to club mahindra i suppose) which comes 20-25 kms before munnar. so will need to add those 25 kms if i come from udumalpet.
so now will take the udumalpet-marayoor route.
thanks again.
Nope. Sterling resort is on Udumalpet-Munnar route almost 10 km before Munnar town at a place called chinnakanal. Thus you save 10 km by taking this route. Mahindra is on theni-munnar route almost 20 km before munnar and that was one of the reasons, I took this route for onward journey.
Old 19th May 2014, 19:06   #104
BHPian

Guys need your inputs, We are planning for a trip this week Chennai-CBE-Palani-Munnar-Chennai.

Day-1.
Chennai to CBE and stay at CBE (Sis's house)

Day-2
CBE to Palani, early morning drive and plan to complete darshan before 12.00 and head to Munnar via udumalpet, Marayoor route.

Day-3
Munnar sight seeing

Day-4
Return to Chennai via Theni-Dindugal-Trichy or back to CBE and then to Chennai.

Howz this section of road (Udumalpet, Marayoor, Munnar)?, If i start at 12.00 pm or in worst case 1.00 pm from Palani, Whether i can reach Munnar before dusk?

Im taking a low GC car, will there be any issue in taking up any of the above route?
Old 19th May 2014, 19:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Guys need your inputs, We are planning for a trip this week Chennai-CBE-Palani-Munnar-Chennai.

Day-1.
Chennai to CBE and stay at CBE (Sis's house)

Day-2
CBE to Palani, early morning drive and plan to complete darshan before 12.00 and head to Munnar via udumalpet, Marayoor route.

Day-3
Munnar sight seeing

Day-4
Return to Chennai via Theni-Dindugal-Trichy or back to CBE and then to Chennai.

Howz this section of road (Udumalpet, Marayoor, Munnar)?, If i start at 12.00 pm or in worst case 1.00 pm from Palani, Whether i can reach Munnar before dusk?

Im taking a low GC car, will there be any issue in taking up any of the above route?
Budget for 4 hours from Palani to Munnar via Udumalaipet & Marayoor. Animal crossings mostly after sun down since the summer heat will keep them away in the shade. Road OK any time.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks