Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 13:28   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

I am planning to visit Munnar with family shortly. Since this is my first visit, I request teammates to suggest the best possible route to take from Chennai to Munnar.

Option1:
Chennai-Salem-Coimbatore-Udumalpet-Cinnar-Munnar

Option2:
Chennai-Madurai-Bodi-Bodimedu-Munnar

I preferrably plan to take "Option 1" as my hometown is coimbatore where i can plan a short break during my journey. Is the road condition from Udumalpet-Munnar in good condition? Will it be safe to ride with family?

if any of the TBHPians had a recent trip in this route (option 1), please share your views.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

If you dont plan to break your journey at CBE, Dindigul (And not Madurai) is a better route.

NH45 all the way to Dindigul and then to to Theni/Bodi and then on to Munnar.
That should be about 550Km.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:21   #3
BANNED

I would suggest you to take route 2 as it is wide and good till madurai and after that is is good but normal state highway like road.

but if you plan to goto your home town probably you can take that route for one way.

2 weeks back my friend had gone thru trichy-madurai-theakaddy and it was superb i belive
Old 26th November 2010, 16:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you dont plan to break your journey at CBE, Dindigul (And not Madurai) is a better route.

NH45 all the way to Dindigul and then to to Theni/Bodi and then on to Munnar.
That should be about 550Km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I would suggest you to take route 2 as it is wide and good till madurai and after that is is good but normal state highway like road.

but if you plan to goto your home town probably you can take that route for one way.

2 weeks back my friend had gone thru trichy-madurai-theakaddy and it was superb i belive
I second that.

Have driven Madurai-Theni-Munnar in Feb2010. Fantastic roads then. Please check the current road conditions post rains.

Both the routes are very scenic. So it'll be great if you do a round trip i.e Chennai-Theni-Munnar-Chinnar-Udumalapet-Coimbatore-Chennai.

Last edited by kiku007 : 26th November 2010 at 16:35.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

I thought even the Trichy-Dindigul is also fully 4Laned. Any reason why one should go via Madurai?
Old 26th November 2010, 22:08   #6
BHPian

i too second with ampere. if you are not planning to take a break at CBE then chennai-trichy-dindigul-theni-bodimedu-munnar is the best route. and the road is 4Laned till dindigul and after that nice 2 laned roads.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:49   #7
BHPian

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions.

I am planning to start here by 4:00 PM from Chennai and probably reach Dindigul or Bodi around 2-3 in the morning. Can u please suggest some decent place to just refresh for 5 hours ( my check-in at Munnar is only around 12 noon) and then restart from Bodi/Theni.

Request you to please suggest some accommodation in Dindigul/Bodi/Theni with good breakfast. Also please let me know the distance between Bodimettu-Munnar. Is the route a Ghat section with wider roads?
Old 29th November 2010, 10:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you opt to stay in a place like Trichy or may be Dindigul spend the night peacefully you can reach Munnar comfortably at around 12 Noon for your check in. Trichy to Munnar should take you around 6 hours with comfortable driving.
Old 29th November 2010, 10:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope this helps,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ce-needed.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-photos-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Madurai (Hotel Germnanus)-Usilampatti 36 kms-Andipatti 23-Theni 17-Turn off to the right 2 kms after Theni town-Bodinaikanur 14-Bodimedu 27-Poopara 11-Turn right-Panniar View/Chinnakanal/Club Mahindra 14-Lockhart Gap 4-Munnar 14.

I have taken 3.00 hrs for the drive from Madurai to Munnar.
___
The circuit is Munnar-Mattupetty Dam 12 kms-Mattupetty Cattle Farm 2-Palar Check Post 4-Kundale Dam 7-Kundale Golf Club 5/6 kms-Kundale Dam 5/6-Top Station 11.
____
Old 29th November 2010, 11:20   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Why don't you opt to stay in a place like Trichy or may be Dindigul spend the night peacefully you can reach Munnar comfortably at around 12 Noon for your check in. Trichy to Munnar should take you around 6 hours with comfortable driving.
Trichy I would say is a break far too early. Dindigul would be ideal. But I have no idea about any hotels there.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:31   #11
BHPian

I am planning for a very short break to just relax after overnight drive and to refresh ourselves. My intention is to cover maximum distance overnight.

My stay in Munnar will be for couple of days. Can people around here help me to plan the tourist spots in Munnar on Day 1 and Day 2. I have booked my hotel in Eastend, Munnar. Good choice?
Old 29th November 2010, 12:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

May be you will have to look at Hotel Western Gatz at Theni, which would be an ideal place for you to break. This would also ensure you don't waste too much time trying to get in and out of Dindigul town. If you don't stop often you could reach Theni by around 11:30 PM depending on which part of Chennai you are leaving from.

Welcome to Hotel Western Gatz
Old 29th November 2010, 13:15   #13
BHPian

Guys, sorry for butting in ; i am planning to do a BLR-Madurai-Munnar-Guruvayur-BLR trip end of december.

If i am starting from Madurai at around 7 AM towards Munnar, would you guys suggest a good veggie place to have brkfast ? ( also with good restrooms)
Old 29th November 2010, 13:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Guys, sorry for butting in ; i am planning to do a BLR-Madurai-Munnar-Guruvayur-BLR trip end of december.

If i am starting from Madurai at around 7 AM towards Munnar, would you guys suggest a good veggie place to have brkfast ? ( also with good restrooms)

I can only think of Theni town where you should be able to find something decent. Alternatively the total distance from Madurai to Munnar is about 150 Km. So if you have your BF and start, even then it would be fine. You should be able to cover it in 3-4 hours.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:30   #15
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for your valuable inputs. Let me complete the trip and share my experiences shortly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks