Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 23:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Jaisalmer - Delhi via Bikaner is gonna take min. 12hrs.
I would prefer to do Jaisalmer - Pokhran - Jodhpur - Jaipur - Delhi 925kms in 12hrs. Its a bloody runway till Ajmer. You can do a cannonball cruze on vacation.
I thought Jaisalmer via Bikaner will take about 15-16 Hrs. Looks the roads have improved tremendously from 2004.

Also what road do you suggest between Jodhpur - jaipur? Isn't that also a hectic road with traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
1. Jaipur-Delhi(260kms) If you start at 0600 hrs from Jaipur you will easily be at home in Delhi by 1100 hrs with one stop. The route is getting better. But if you in no hurry to reach Delhi then you can start later also but in anycase start before Noon.

2. Delhi-Himmatnagar: I dont think should be more than 13 hrs if you starting from Delhi at 0500hrs (best time to start from Delhi for any destination) provided there is no fog

3. December time carry plenty of woolens for Rajasthan/Delhi/ HP. Its already very cold

4. December is the peak season for hotels in Rajasthan, so Rs.1500/- maybe a bit tight. I am sending you a PM regarding the same

5. Jaiselmer- Bikaner - Delhi: IMO is only a good option if you hard pressed for time and want to reach Delhi in advance. The thing is that entering NCR between 1800hrs - 2200hrs is a big no no. You will be anyways at the lowest of your energy levels plus the maddening traffic and long long ques at bottlenecks before/at/after Manesar ( there are too many of them) will make you really frustrated
  • Jaiselmer - Bikaner - Fatehpur - Jhunjhunu: The road is excellent.
  • Jhunjhunu- Behror: not sure about the road
  • Behror - Manesar- Gurgaon- Delhi: Good roads, but chaotic traffic
My suggestion would be to do a halt at Bikaner and start the next day early or without halt carry on till Behror and stay at RTDC Midway. And then carry on next morning.
Old 28th November 2010, 11:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another option is that you reach Jaipur by evening and have dinner @ Chowki Dhani (if you haven't been there before). Start for delhi next day morning.
Thanks Prajesh, I think I am almost decided that I will stick to Jaisalmer-Jaipur ( halt for night)--Delhi

Can I still do a cannonball run on this stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Timings as of Last week of October
Whew! That pretty much sums up what i am up against. Gawd! I hate getting up at 4AM

Quote:
I would second this option of doing Jaisalmer-Jaipur on one day and have a nice rajasthani thali at Chokhi Dhani or at the LMBs or BMBs,it would revitalise you for your next day's drive and you could start after a comfortable breakfast to reach home in Del for lunch.Jaisalmer-Delhi is a bad idea.
I reckon this plan is almost decided. Boss, please go a little slow on the abbreviation? What is LMB/BMB

Any pictures of the Choki Dhani thali ( you know just a little encouragement to really have it..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Wow, what a heck of a trip! All the best, Avi.

Unless you have a co-driver, it will be too tiresome and mechanical after a couple of days, IMO.
Thanks Venu. In all probability i will have a co-driver ( not too experienced on highways though) so there will be a little respite

What is the route suggested from Jaisalmer-Jaipur? What time should i start from JSL and are road conditions good? Please do not suggest circuitous route as would prefer shortest route as much as possible.

Where i really need help is on accomodation in Udaipur and Jaisalmer. Any pointers in terms of Hotel Names/Contact info etc?

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th November 2010 at 11:18.
Old 28th November 2010, 12:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
  • Jaiselmer - Bikaner - Fatehpur - Jhunjhunu: The road is excellent.
Bikaner - Fatehpur road is excellent though it is 2 laned but very less traffic

Fatepur-Mandawa-Jhunjhunu very bad roads, you will find 2-3 feets of rain/drain water (if it rained) in Fatepur so be careful. Mandawa - Jhunjhunu (approx 30kms) is a single road with rough and deep road edges. You will have to be very very careful and better get off the road when you see oncoming traffic since they will not give you side. I did this trip just two weeks ago in around 3.00hrs.

Take the Mandawa bypass instead of going through the city.

Last edited by daredeviljpr : 28th November 2010 at 12:35.
Old 28th November 2010, 13:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Also what road do you suggest between Jodhpur - jaipur? Isn't that also a hectic road with traffic.
Jodhpur-Jaipur is good roads,no traffic,except for a small stretch between Beawar & Ajmer Bypass turn off,it would take around 5-6hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I reckon this plan is almost decided. Boss, please go a little slow on the abbreviation? What is LMB/BMB

Any pictures of the Choki Dhani thali ( you know just a little encouragement to really have it..)
If you are going to Chokhi Dhani then dont bother with the other two.

Chokhi Dhani : www.chokhidhani.com

LMB: www.hotellmb.com

BMB: www.bmbjaipur.com

Quote:
What is the route suggested from Jaisalmer-Jaipur? What time should i start from JSL and are road conditions good? Please do not suggest circuitous route as would prefer shortest route as much as possible.
JMER-Jaipur,IMO this would be your best route:

Jaisalmer-Pokhran-Jodhpur-Barr-Beawar-Nasirabad-Kishengarh-Jaipur.

Jaisalmer-Jodhpur: 4hours (NH15/NH114)

Jodhpur-Jaipur: 5-6hours (NH112 till Barr,Barr to Beawar NH14,Beawar to Ajmer bypass NH8,Nasirabad to Kishengarh 4LANED NH79A,Kishengarh to Jaipur:GVK Expressway on NH8)The only place where you would lose time is between Beawar and the turnoff to Ajmer bypass because 4 laning is in progress on NH8)

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 28th November 2010 at 13:42.
Old 28th November 2010, 18:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some pics of Chowki Dhani.
I went there last month, the entry charge is Rs 350 per head which includes dinner.

Route, Road, Hotel Info : Hyderabad-Rajasthan-Delhi-Hyderabad-dsc_0650-large.jpg

Route, Road, Hotel Info : Hyderabad-Rajasthan-Delhi-Hyderabad-cd5-large.jpg

Route, Road, Hotel Info : Hyderabad-Rajasthan-Delhi-Hyderabad-cd11-large.jpg

Route, Road, Hotel Info : Hyderabad-Rajasthan-Delhi-Hyderabad-cd12-large.jpg

Route, Road, Hotel Info : Hyderabad-Rajasthan-Delhi-Hyderabad-cd16-large.jpg

Last edited by kpzen : 28th November 2010 at 18:31.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
JMER-Jaipur,IMO this would be your best route:

Jaisalmer-Pokhran-Jodhpur-Barr-Beawar-Nasirabad-Kishengarh-Jaipur.

Jaisalmer-Jodhpur: 4hours (NH15/NH114)

Jodhpur-Jaipur: 5-6hours
I am now confirmed that will take the Jaisalmer to Jaipur route stay overnight and then leave for Delhi next day.

Quote:
Some pics of Chowki Dhani.
I went there last month, the entry charge is Rs 350 per head which includes dinner.
Thanks for these lovely pictures. Sounds like a fun place to be. But, since i will be there on New Years Eve, i am sure they will charge exorbitantly for this experience
Old 29th November 2010, 17:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for these lovely pictures. Sounds like a fun place to be. But, since i will be there on New Years Eve, i am sure they will charge exorbitantly for this experience
Chokhi Dhani is charging Rs5000/- per couple on New years eve. IMO abslolutely not worth it.

In anycase, since you driving from Jaisalmer straight to Jaipur, I doubt if you will have the energy to party that night.

But look at the brighter side, the next day morning drive to Delhi should be a breeze
Old 29th November 2010, 19:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am now confirmed that will take the Jaisalmer to Jaipur route stay overnight and then leave for Delhi next day.
Try to book yourself in Arya Niwas on the Sansar Chand Road. Good and reasonable hotel. You won't regret it.

Cheers
Old 30th November 2010, 02:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

I would advise you to leave out jodhpur and focus on Jaisalmer. I did not find much to do there except a couple of palaces. Now all these palaces and forts look the same. You would have had your fill at Udaipur(palaces), and Jaisalmer(forts)
As for Dehradoon, why do you want to go to Dehrdun. Delhi is kind of 40kms for meerut, but dehradoon, why?
That said, if you do not go to Delhi at all in your car, but come back to hyd and fly to Delhi for meerut (1. Hyd Del - meerut(train) 2. meerut whole day 3. Meerut-Delhi-Hyd
you will save fuel money.
Moreover Jaipur Delhi is hell any time of the day due to 6 laning thing.

If I were you I would do this
1. Hyd - mumbai
2. Mumbai - Udaipur
3. Udaipur
4. Udaipur Jaisalmer
5. Jaisalmer - Desert
6. Desert Jaisalmer
7. Jaisalmer - Somewhere near mumbai (all empty roads)
8. Mumbai - Hyd

So now you have 8 more days. Take the train from Hyd- Meerut and save money. Heck, you will save money even on the flight.

If you take the flight, or even train, you can add Rann of kutch in your itenary (2 nights on the way).

If you are hell bent on doing cold weathers, do this
1. Hyd mumbai
2. Mumbai - Jaisalmer
3. Jaisalmer - desert
4. Desert Jaisalmer
6. Jaisalmer - Bikaner(3-4 hours drive)
7. Bikaner chd
8. Chandigarh manali
9. Manali snow visits
10. Manali - Meerut
11. Meerut
12. Meerut - Jaipur
13. Jaipur Udaipur
14. Udaipur
15. Udaipur mumbai
16. Mumbai Hyd

See you save one day, bikaner to chd via punjab(south) and haryana is easier than fighting through delhi.
You wanted coldust and I give you snow, and you have a day to spare.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2010 at 02:24.
Old 30th November 2010, 11:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

RTDC Hotel Kajri Udaipur - 0294 2410501 /2 /3
RTDC Hotel Ghoomer Jodhpur - 0291 2544010
RTDC Hotel Moomal Jaisalmer - 02992 252392
RTDC Hotel Teej Jaipur - 0141 2203199

All bookings through RTDC's website - www.rtdc.in

Quote:

Would appreciate information on hotels with contact info for my Rajasthan leg so i can contact them directly and book the hotels instead of going through these travel websites who are notorious for holding up rooms and sell it at higher prices later on.

a) Udaipur
b) Jodhpur
c) Jaisalmer
d) Jaipur

Last edited by gd1418 : 30th November 2010 at 11:04.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:05   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chokhi Dhani is charging Rs5000/- per couple on New years eve. IMO abslolutely not worth it.

In anycase, since you driving from Jaisalmer straight to Jaipur, I doubt if you will have the energy to party that night.

But look at the brighter side, the next day morning drive to Delhi should be a breeze
Wow! 5K for something that otherwise costs Rs.350. Exorbitant seems like a very mild word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Try to book yourself in Arya Niwas on the Sansar Chand Road. Good and reasonable hotel. You won't regret it.
Thanks for the tip. My booking in Jaipur is already done

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would advise you to leave out jodhpur and focus on Jaisalmer. I did not find much to do there except a couple of palaces. Now all these palaces and forts look the same. You would have had your fill at Udaipur(palaces), and Jaisalmer(forts)
As for Dehradoon, why do you want to go to Dehrdun. Delhi is kind of 40kms for meerut, but dehradoon, why?
Wow, Whew, Arrgg Tanveer. That is one helluva plan. I will go once north by car and then "again" go back for Part-2 of my vacation by flight. Man, i am not made of greenbacks

On second thoughts, sounds like it can be done if there is a will. But, honestly in reality such a plan is not possible at all.

Ideal for me would be to come back to Hyderabad from Rajasthan and not venture out into Delhi and further. Delhi and Meerut inclusions are by complusion and not by my wish. You know to keep the better half happy

Reason for including doon is as the girley folks spend time with family, the men folk can go somewhere closeby. And, Doon was just a thought. If iam tired of driving then may chuck that entire plan out of my itenary. So it's like a last minute decision and will leave it to my cousins out there for spending a day or two in some nice place closeby.

In anycase, will stick to my original plan and see how it pans out. I am in an adventrous mood now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
RTDC Hotel Kajri Udaipur - 0294 2410501 /2 /3
RTDC Hotel Ghoomer Jodhpur - 0291 2544010
RTDC Hotel Moomal Jaisalmer - 02992 252392
RTDC Hotel Teej Jaipur - 0141 2203199

All bookings through RTDC's website - www.rtdc.in
Thank you Suman. That feeling has completely sunk in that this is peak season in Rajasthan as all these places are booked out on dates that i am seeking. And, someone told me it was off-peak season

Last couple of years, went to Himachal and everywhere i went hotels were full. Seems like i encourage others to take their holidays with me
Old 30th November 2010, 14:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Suman, though is my neighbour in Gurgaon, we don't share the same name. I'm known around here as gd1418, if you may so please..

Quote:

Thank you Suman. That feeling has completely sunk in that this is peak season in Rajasthan as all these places are booked out on dates that i am seeking. And, someone told me it was off-peak season
Old 30th November 2010, 15:05   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Suman, though is my neighbour in Gurgaon, we don't share the same name. I'm known around here as gd1418, if you may so please..
My apologies for the oversight. Thanks for your inputs though
Old 1st December 2010, 14:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Hotel booking is turning out to be a nightmare due to the peak season that i have decided to visit Rajasthan and almost every hotel contacted is either quoting exorbitant charges ( Rs.3K-5K range per night) OR confirm first and then next day revert with a "no room available" message.

Ranjit, thanks for your continous inputs and assistance on identifying a good hotel but, alas all of them are booked out.

I finally managed to book one hotel in Jodhpur (Hotel Haveli-http://www.hotelhaveli.net/

2K/night

I noted their group has another hotel in Jaisalmer (Hotel Raika) and contacted them. Their manager was pleasant (especially after knowing will be staying with their hotel in Jodhpur) and quoted first Rs.1500/night for their best rooms and we wanted 2 rooms. I immediately confirmed

He calls me this morning and says, its Rs.2000/night. I need to transfer him the dough either tomorrow or day after.

As i have sifed through almost all hotels in Jaisalmer, have no option but confirm with Raika. Gawd, i hate being exploited

My search for Udaipur hotels continues.....
Old 1st December 2010, 16:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My search for Udaipur hotels continues.....
You might want to check this out :Hotel The Tiger 33, Gangaur Ghat, Near Bagore ki Haveli, Udaipur, राजस्थान 313001 0294 242 0430 – 094 14 164404 (Mobile). No car park in the hotel premises,Tariff 2.2k per night incl breakfast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks