Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 22:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?

Just did a Pune-Karwar-Pune drive in my Thar. Drove in on Saturday (7 AM->4 PM), and out on Sunday (2 PM->1030 PM).

Pune-Belgaum-Khanapur-Ganeshgudi-Joida-Anshi-Karwar.

Pune to Belgaum: NH4, and decent surface all along, but with well marked diversions upto Karad.

Belgaum to Khanapur: Some traffic until you leave Belgaum. From here on, smooth sailing until Joida. At Anshi, the shoulders of the road have been dug up, making them narrow. This can be tricky especially during the monsoons, with an oncoming heavy vehicle.

Also, since KSRTC buses ply at high speed on narrow roads, drive very cautiously after Khanapur. It's easy to get carried away if you're in a fast car. Road surface is excellent. If you love/live to drive, this is THE road into Karwar and South Goa. But just take it easy.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 11:27   #62
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Im planning to drive from Mumbai to Karwar in December. Any update on the routes mentioned? I would be starting only by 3pm from Mumbai with full family, including parents (also a 7 year old). I would like to drive maximum distance till about 10 or 11pm and then take a halt somewhere. Please suggest some decent places to stay also. If you suggest that I drive all the way, I can do that as well. Was thinking of halting only bcos of family.

Im asking this because the posts Im seeing are of 2010. Any one travelled recently from Mumbai to Karwar ?
Old 11th November 2016, 11:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post
Please suggest some decent places to stay also. If you suggest that I drive all the way, I can do that as well. Was thinking of halting only bcos of family
Belgaum would be a good option to halt for the night. With a 3 PM start from Mumbai, you will easily reach Belgaum by 11 PM. There are lots of decent hotels within a radius of 2-3 kms from the exits on the highway - Ramdev, Sankam are a couple of them that come to mind.

After Belgaum you can either take the route suggested by JayPrashanth in his post above, or go via Hubli - Kalghatgi - Yellapur - NH17 - Karwar.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 11:52   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Belgaum would be a good option to halt for the night. With a 3 PM start from Mumbai, you will easily reach Belgaum by 11 PM. There are lots of decent hotels within a radius of 2-3 kms from the exits on the highway - Ramdev, Sankam are a couple of them that come to mind.

After Belgaum you can either take the route suggested by JayPrashanth in his post above, or go via Hubli - Kalghatgi - Yellapur - NH17 - Karwar.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thank you so much for this info ComfortablyNumb (Happens to be one of my favourite songs! )
Old 11th November 2016, 13:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
With a 3 PM start from Mumbai, you will easily reach Belgaum by 11 PM.
I have recently completed Mumbai - Dharwad trip during October 31 to November 5.

My observations: NH4 is not in the best of shape for which it is usually known for. It has been deteriorated considerably, the Pune - Karad stretch in particular. We encountered traffic snarls at various stretches especially at the diversion portions where the surface is too much deteriorated. The first diversion after crossing Pune cost us about 1 hr and 15 minutes, which we could never recover. Karad to Kolhapur surface is acceptable but could not help us to recover the lost time due to huge number of 2 wheelers and broken patches here and there. The road surface improves substantially past Kolhapur once we enter Karnataka and remains top notch excellent until Dharwad.

It is near impossible to make up for the time lost after Pune in a relatively small stretch from Kolhapur up to Belgaum. It’s better to include an additional 1-1.5 hrs time buffer for this stretch and plan accordingly if you are sedate driver and intend to drive during day time. May be it is possible to make better progress during night due to minimal traffic and absence of 2 wheelers.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 11th November 2016 at 13:45.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 12:35   #66
BHPian

Hello all,

Thank you for valuable inputs for Mumbai - Karwar drive. Now I know why this is the most valuable forum for people who love to drive.

The route that I have finally decided is Mumbai - Pune - Satara - Karad - Kolhapur - Nipani - Belgaum.

Stay over night at Sankam and then start my drive early morning and take Belgaum - Londa - Anshi National Park - Karwar.

Planning to start at 3pm from Mumbai. Journey is on 30th Dec. Vehicle is Scorpio SLX, 2007 model. Just changed to Scorpion AT two months back. Has new Amaron Go fitted last week. Getting two Hella Rallye 3003 fitted since my headlights are not is the best of condition. Need to get one full checkup of the car this week. Regular servicing was done three weeks back.

Please do let me know if Im missing something (Have tyre puncture kit, towing rope etc already in place).
Old 2nd June 2023, 00:02   #67

Route map for a road trip from Mumbai to Karwar

I would like suggestions for a route map from Mumbai to Karwar

I plan to start early from Mumbai, sleep over at Kolhapur. And then continue from there the next day morning.

Driving with family and in a Creta, manual.

This will be my first long road trip, have done numerous smaller 300Kms+ earlier.

Mumbai till Kolhapur, I am clear that will take the expressway.

Need suggestions on the best route to take from Kolhapur onwards. Plan to start early by 7am.
Old 2nd June 2023, 09:58   #68
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route map for a road trip from Mumbai to Karwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambydatta View Post
Need suggestions on the best route to take from Kolhapur onwards. Plan to start early by 7am.

Kolhapur-Satara-Dharwad-Kalghagi-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar.

Thats the easiest route you can do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks