Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 23:13   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?

Hi,
Planning to drive down to Karwar from mumbai in the 2nd week of december. Want to go via Pune - NH4. Will be starting late on a saturday afternoon, so have decided to make a night halt at Koyna lake resort, which is around 20 Kms off NH-4.
Not sure about where to take the detour off NH4 to hit Karwar? should i follow Nipani - savantwadi - goa - karwar route? Have done it a couple of times and found it to be quite ok. Is the route via Belgaum faster / better?
Suggestions awaited.
Old 30th November 2010, 06:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

The easiest and most convenient is Blegaum-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar via the NH63. But that is the most circuitous.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The easiest and most convenient is Blegaum-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar via the NH63. But that is the most circuitous.
Not very circuitous. Via NH4 Mumbai hubli 600 km hubli karwar 160.

Via NH 17 mum goa 600 and goa Karwar 100 km so 60 km shorter. but 2 lane road will take longer time.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Yes its about 60-80 Km longer, but you get top class roads all the way, including the NH63.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:59   #5
BHPian

I think the best route would be to hit the NH4 and then take a detour from Hubli to Karwar.The extra 60kms is worth it for the condition of the roads that you would get to drive
I did this route in October and the roads were fabulous.Not sure of the road conditions if you take the NH17.One thing I do know about the NH17 is that it has been abused during the last monsoon.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

For a faster drive ,you can take the following :

Mumbai-Dharwad (NH4)
About 4 kms before Dharwad take a right on the Hubli bypass toll road and after about 11 kms you see a toll booth on the left.Here you can ask for Kalghatki.This takes you through some narrow countryside roads.You need to watch out for unmarked speedbreakers and kids crossing the road.After about 30 odd kms ( i dont remember now as 2006 was the last i had done this ),you meet the NH63 .
Here take a right to reach Ankola via Yellapur.
NH63 touches the NH17 about 4 kms from Ankola.The left goes to Ankola/Mangalore while the right leads towards Karwar/Goa.

If you planning to take a pit stop ,you can take teh right to Ankola and then drive towards Karwar

But if I were you ,I would have taken the superb NH17 from Panvel to Karwar.One of the best driving roads that you can come across.This might take you 3-4 hours more than the NH4 ,but you wouldnt regret it

Drive safe!
Old 8th December 2010, 13:28   #7
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?

Thanx everyone. Have decided to take the NH4 - Belgaum - Dharwad, Kalghatki- Ankola - Karwar route.
Start on saturday noon. Stop over at a friends place in Pune for the night. Then sunday morning start with him and his wife, reaching karwar by evening.
Staying at Karwar for a couple of days, again at another friends place. Then wednesday start from karwar on towards Visakhapatnam.
Havent yet decided the route for this leg.
Will post my trip details and status of roads once i reach Vizag.

@ Speedsatya - have done the NH17 drive to Goa. Wonderful. Woul hve done it again but for the fact that i have to pick up people from Pune.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

speedsatya, the Dharwad-Kalhatagi road may be a short cut, but that road is in a bad condition nowadays. I would prefer that nvldvr take the NH63 from the Karwar road intersection on Hubli bypass (29 kms from the beginning of the bypass before Dharwad), since NH63 is good throughout.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:42   #9
BHPian

If you would like to enjoy sceneries, then the coastal NH17 route via Goa is best. If you are looking for wide roads, then via Pune, Hubli (NH-4) and then diversion from Hubli to Karwar via Ankola.
Another route is via Pune, Belgaum, Dharwad, Haliyal, Dandeli and Karwar. This route is narrow from Dandeli.
Old 8th December 2010, 17:50   #10
BHPian

@Yogesh - I have decided to take the Hubli - ankola route.
@ HV Kumar - Awaiting reply for my query on Karwar - Vizag route. Since i am starting my journey on Saturday, may not be able to access internet for a few days after that.
Old 8th December 2010, 23:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Karwar-Vizag route:

Karwar-NH17-Ankola-NH63-Yellapura-Kalhatagi-Hubli-Gadag-Hospet-Gangavati-Raichur-Jadcherla-NH7-Hyderabad-NH9-Suriapet-Khammam-Rajahmundry-NH5-Tuni-Anakapalle-Vizag

Mixed roads in many sectors.
You will encounter bad roads in Gadag-Hospet, Khammam-Rajahmundry route. While you cannot avoid the first sector, you could think of taking the longer (and slower) NH9 route via Vijaywada.

I would plan to halt at Khammam or Vijaywada on Day 1, but that also will be quite a drive.
Old 8th December 2010, 23:52   #12
BHPian

Thanks Mr Kumar.

I checked on google maps and found that the Raichur route mentioned by you is 682 km from karwar to hyderabad. Of this, the 92 km strech from gadag to hospet is bad. How bad is it? and how much delay i am likely to face because of it? and whats the expected drive time on this route from karwar - Hyd? I am looking start early (around 0530-0600) and want to reach hyderabad before night fall 'cos dont want to drive in the night with my wife on board.

How about the Bijapur-Gulbarga-Humnabad-Hyd route for the drive up to Hyd? Will it be faster than the Raichur route ? It is around 760 kms, but if there are no bad stretches, will the drive time be lesser?
Old 9th December 2010, 00:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

In the Gadag-Hospet sector, only around 25 kms approaching Hospet is bad, but manageable.

Looking at drive times:
Karwar-Hubli, 4 hrs
Hubli-Hospet, 4 hrs
Hospet-Jadcherla, 4 hrs
Jadcherla-Hyderabad, 2 hrs

I would not take the Bijapur route becaise NH13 from Hospet to BIjapur is pretty bad. And I have no idea about the Bijapur-Gulbarga-Homnabad route, I would expect sections of that also to be bad.
Besides, there are some bad patches around Homnabad too.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

See the Malvan TL by Uday for NH218 updates. Says its in good condition.
It may be worth going via Bijapur-Homnabad.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nt-malvan.html
Old 9th December 2010, 19:37   #15
BHPian

@ Ampere. You suggested this route in another thread posted by me as well. And going by Uday's travelouge, the roads here seem to be very good. Also, as suggested by Uday, it may be better for me as my stay in Hyderabad is in Begumpet (Bowenpalli), which is North west Hyderabad. Should be easier to get here from Homnabad.

Its either this route, or the one suggested by HVKumar. Still a few days available with me. Any more suggestions / clarifications most welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks