Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:02   #1
BHPian

Is Raigad via Tamhini ghat in good shape?

Dear all,

Please suggest if Raigad via Tamhini ghat is in good shape? Need to do this tomorrow so instant help will be deeply appreciated.
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:25   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Tamhini is not good. Try Varandha ghat.
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:07   #3
BANNED

I used to ride down on my rx100 from Chandani chowk via Mulshi once a quarter until a village called Vilhe (If I recall correctly) until 5 years back. some 10kms after Mulshi the road becomes simply superb like a runway all the way down into the coastal plains. The rest of the stretch extending to Mulshi was under construction and should have been completed by now.

Which source point are you considering traveling from?
Old 8th May 2012, 19:32   #4
mo1
BHPian

re: Is Raigad via Tamhini ghat in good shape?

Just came back from Guhagar to Pune via Tamhini Ghat.
I always use Kumbharli ghat for this journey but thought of trying out this route this time. I don't exactly repent my decision but I will avoid this route in future.
2-3 KMs patch in tamhini ghat itself is really bad(almost non-existent road). And then again two, 2-3 KMs patches near start of the ghat and near Nijampur are average. Also, I faced a lot of traffic from Mulashi to Pune which was boring.
Overall, it is bearable but only if you want to go to Shriwardhan or harihareshwar.
mo1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:03   #5
BHPian

Re: Is Raigad via Tamhini ghat in good shape?

I came back to Pune Via Tamhini about 10 days back from a motorcycle ride. The road in the ghat was under repairs (resurfacing). Broadening of the road from Vile to Nizampur is underway, but the road condition was actually better than the last I rode. However, road between Mulshi and Tamhini ghat top is bad in patches. But if you are travelling in SUV, it won't matter.

take care and drive safely

Rajesh
Old 13th March 2013, 11:28   #6

This weekend planning to visit Ratnagiri. Can someone comment on state of Tamini ghat and Varandha ghat road condition?
My friend traveled in Aug 2012 and recommended against using Tamini route. Any inputs would be helpful.
Old 13th March 2013, 11:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion out of the numerous (actually 3-4) visits that I made in past, the Tamini ghat route has always been slightly much better than the Varandha ghat route.

Tamini ghat route screws up after the end of Mulshi. But it improves quite fast.
Varanda ghat road almost doesn't exist once you cross over towards the konkan hillside.

Anyway you need to get a recent assessment from someone who has traveled on these roads.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th March 2013 at 12:00.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHaskar_AS View Post
This weekend planning to visit Ratnagiri. Can someone comment on state of Tamini ghat and Varandha ghat road condition?
My friend traveled in Aug 2012 and recommended against using Tamini route. Any inputs would be helpful.
Hi Bhaskar,

A fortnight ago did Pune - Ratnagiri - Pune. The route taken - Pune-Satara-Karad-Malkapur-Amba-Hathkhamba-Ratnagiri. (Take the service road around 4-5 kms after Karad for Malkapur).
Post Malkapur the road offers a lot twists & turns. But overall the road is very good.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:48   #9
BHPian

Absolutely agree with padikpanther. The karad-kokrud-malkapur-ambaghat-sakharpa-pali-hathkhamba is the best road to reach Ratnagiri. Sparse traffic and excellent road. Remember to take right turn under the 5th flyover from Pankaj hotel in Karad.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padikpanther View Post
Hi Bhaskar, A fortnight ago did Pune - Ratnagiri - Pune. The route taken - Pune-Satara-Karad-Malkapur-Amba-Hathkhamba-Ratnagiri.
Hi padikpanther,

If one is travelling from Pune-Ratnagiri, how is the road from Malkapur till start of Amba Ghat? When I'd travelled on this stretch just before Diwali last year, it was very bad with lots of big potholes after every few hundred metres. The ghat itself and the route after end of ghat till NH17 was quite good, though.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 13th March 2013, 13:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHaskar_AS View Post
Travelled to Dive Agar about 3 weeks back via Tamhini. After Pirangut, your speeds would be in the range of 40 to 50 max till the MIDC (don't recollect the place name, but is has one big factory.). After that you can do 60/70 till you join NH17 at Mangaon.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi padikpanther,

If one is travelling from Pune-Ratnagiri, how is the road from Malkapur till start of Amba Ghat?

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Vikram,

Of the entire route, I would rate the road just before and after Malkapur on the lower side, still not bad. But right now, its definitely not the way you experienced it before Diwali. At that time it could be because of the heavy rains this region experiences, my guess..
padikpanther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 08:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Travelled to Dive Agar about 3 weeks back via Tamhini. After Pirangut, your speeds would be in the range of 40 to 50 max till the MIDC (don't recollect the place name, but is has one big factory.). After that you can do 60/70 till you join NH17 at Mangaon.
We dropped Dapoli plans and visited Diveagar instead last weekend. The road condition is described accurately above. There are exactly 4 bad patches right now.
Traveled by Indica.
Regards,
Bhaskar.
PS: Few years back we went to Tarkarli. While coming back, we used the Amboli route. It was a pleasure to drive.
Old 29th July 2013, 11:57   #14
BHPian

I am planning for Pune to Dapoli on 9th August. There are three choices of routes to Dapoli.

1) Via Tamhini Ghat
2) Via Varandha Ghat
3) Via Mahabaleshwar-Polapur Ghat

As you all know due to heavy monsoon this season, condition of these roads is really difficult to guess. If anyone of us has been through any of these routes in latest time can suggest me better route among the three.

I will be driving with family so I would choose safe road with good condition. Please suggest me route based on your latest experience.
Old 29th July 2013, 12:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I am planning for Pune to Dapoli on 9th August. There are three choices of routes to Dapoli.

1) Via Tamhini Ghat
2) Via Varandha Ghat
3) Via Mahabaleshwar-Polapur Ghat

As you all know due to heavy monsoon this season, condition of these roads is really difficult to guess. If anyone of us has been through any of these routes in latest time can suggest me better route among the three.

I will be driving with family so I would choose safe road with good condition. Please suggest me route based on your latest experience.
Considering the consistent rain, I am sure Tamhini ghat wont be in a good condition, but still, I would recommend the same.
I had been to Dapoli via Varandha ghat last year and my experience was bad. The road is very narrow. It means you have to get down from tarmac every time you see a vehicle coming in from opposite direction. There is a big gap almost everywhere in the levels of tarmac and the sideways, so its really not good. Had been to Varandha just for driving fun in the rains a couple of weeks back and I can confirm it not a good idea to take this road unless you really want to
The mahabaleshwar- poladpur road is too long for a dapoli drive and the road as well is not is a condition which will make it worth.
Take Tamhini ghat, ensure you have ample time in hand and go slow, it should be ok.
From Mangaon, go straight upto Bharane naka and then turn towards Khed. The Ambet road though shortest route to Dapoli would not be in a good condition, I haven't experienced it recently, but that my guess.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks