Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 12:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay in the Red Baron

My Vote goes in for Route 3. As I mentioned earlier, its a very good and scenic route with sparse traffic ( as per 3 years back).

The other routes have too many over grown villages turned into cities which may create lots of bottle necks like Rudrapur, Haldwani and Bhowali. Also before Rudrapur there are a few railway crossings where, if you get stuck you will waste 30-40 minutes.

You will have the same railway crossing on Ramnagar route too but since there is not much traffic there, you wont waste much time.
Old 11th December 2010, 20:57   #17
BHPian

>>>
deky,

I checked your favourite route ( I had done this once in Dec 2007, being driven by a mad Innova driver!) in the Uttaranchal Guide Map.

The route with distances between towns/hamlets is as follows :

Moradabad bypass -Gor-16-Pipalsana-22-Thakurdwar-10-Kashipur-26-Ramnagar-4-Amdanda-10-Garjiya-7-Dhangarhi-4-Mohan-7-Kumaria-11-Tota Am-10-Ghati-3-Chauri Ghati-3-Machod-6-Dewarpani-4-Bhatronjkhan-6-Reechi-6-Sauni-7-Tarikhet-8-Ranikhet-11-Majkhali.

So, from Paikwara to Ramnagar through the Moradabad bypass is approximately 106 kms. From Ramnagar to Ranikhet is 96. Majkhali 107.

So, from Paikwara it is 213 kms. If I stop for lunch somehwere on the Moradabad bypass, that'll take me 30 minutes.

So, to reach Majkhali by 5 pm and calculating backwards :

1. Paikwara to Ramnagar (106 kms) plus 30 minutes for lunch = 2 1/2 hours
2. Ramnagar to Majkhali (107 kms) = 2 1/2 hours ( going by your performance, but remember my car has a GC of 154 mm.)

I have to hit Paikwara by 12 noon.

Am awaiting inputs on the roads. Will update the thread accordingly.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 11th December 2010 at 21:02. Reason: Added.
Old 11th December 2010, 21:19   #18
BHPian

I am clued in to the updates. Me planning to drive down to Ranikhet from Delhi on 25th morning.
Old 11th December 2010, 21:23   #19
BHPian

>>>

Nitin,

Am arriving in Manesar from Udaipur on 25th. So will leave Manesar for Ranikhet on 26th morning. Will keep the thread updated on road conditions.

I am only worried about 'General Fog', in the same way as any invader in Russia has to worry about 'General Winter' as both Napoleon and Hitler found to their cost!

PM me your contact details if you wish to get hold of something specific.

Regards, drive safe
Old 17th December 2010, 15:56   #20
BHPian

Re: Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay in the Red Baron: Road update

>>>

Had a very interesting and insightful meeting with HVK yesterday in his office. He had brought his collection of maps and books on driving destinations in Uttarakhand, to help me in my queries.

[I do hope that MapMyIndia, Google Maps et. al incorporate his suggestions to make their offerings more 'realistic', based on roads as they exist rather than their fanciful interpretations.]

Route status update :

Route #1 : Moradabad bypass -Rampur-Rudrapur-Kathgodam-Bhowali-Bhujan-Ranikhet

Ok, with truck traffic expected around Rudrapur-Pantnagar, as it is the main industrial area in Uttarakhand.

Route #2 : Moradabad bypass - Tanda-Darhiyal-Bazpur-Kaladhungi- Kathgodam-Bhowali etc.

Not ok. Bad roads.

Route #3 : Moradabad bypass-Thakurdwar-Kashipur-Ramnagar-Dhangarhi-Mohan-Tota Am-Chauri Ghati-Bhatronjkhan-Tarikhet-Ranikhet

Ok, steeper gradient, narrow between Dhangarhi till Bhatronjkhan, a distance of 46 kms. More scenic, more twisty.

I think I'll decide between the two competing routes at the time when I have to make the choice.

Your thoughts -HVK, deky, iraghava? Will also connect with nkapoor777 who will be the avantgarde- he will be driving from Delhi 24 hours ahead!

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 17th December 2010 at 15:59. Reason: Added points
Old 17th December 2010, 17:41   #21
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
If required for Gujarat, I'll fix the yellow vertical strip on the RHS headlight; the last time that I crossed Gujarat (in Feb 2010), no one stopped me.
During my recent trip, I too did not face any problems in Gujarat for not affixing vertical yellow sticker on the RHS headlamp.

Old 17th December 2010, 19:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
During my recent trip, I too did not face any problems in Gujarat for not affixing vertical yellow sticker on the RHS headlamp.
Hi Issigonis,

No need to install the yellow sticker in Gujarat if you are not going to enter into cities and stay there for a while.

Keep me posted of your schedule on 24th so we can meet as planned.

Safe trip.

Cheers, Sam
Old 18th December 2010, 11:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
>>>
deky,

I checked your favourite route ( I had done this once in Dec 2007, being driven by a mad Innova driver!) in the Uttaranchal Guide Map.

The route with distances between towns/hamlets is as follows :

Moradabad bypass -Gor-16-Pipalsana-22-Thakurdwar-10-Kashipur-26-Ramnagar-4-Amdanda-10-Garjiya-7-Dhangarhi-4-Mohan-7-Kumaria-11-Tota Am-10-Ghati-3-Chauri Ghati-3-Machod-6-Dewarpani-4-Bhatronjkhan-6-Reechi-6-Sauni-7-Tarikhet-8-Ranikhet-11-Majkhali.

So, from Paikwara to Ramnagar through the Moradabad bypass is approximately 106 kms. From Ramnagar to Ranikhet is 96. Majkhali 107.

So, from Paikwara it is 213 kms. If I stop for lunch somehwere on the Moradabad bypass, that'll take me 30 minutes.

So, to reach Majkhali by 5 pm and calculating backwards :

1. Paikwara to Ramnagar (106 kms) plus 30 minutes for lunch = 2 1/2 hours
2. Ramnagar to Majkhali (107 kms) = 2 1/2 hours ( going by your performance, but remember my car has a GC of 154 mm.)

I have to hit Paikwara by 12 noon.

Am awaiting inputs on the roads. Will update the thread accordingly.

Regards, drive safe
Quote:
>>>

Had a very interesting and insightful meeting with HVK yesterday in his office. He had brought his collection of maps and books on driving destinations in Uttarakhand, to help me in my queries.

[I do hope that MapMyIndia, Google Maps et. al incorporate his suggestions to make their offerings more 'realistic', based on roads as they exist rather than their fanciful interpretations.]

Route status update :

Ok, with truck traffic expected around Rudrapur-Pantnagar, as it is the main industrial area in Uttarakhand.

Route #2 : Moradabad bypass - Tanda-Darhiyal-Bazpur-Kaladhungi- Kathgodam-Bhowali etc.

Not ok. Bad roads.

Route #3 : Moradabad bypass-Thakurdwar-Kashipur-Ramnagar-Dhangarhi-Mohan-Tota Am-Chauri Ghati-Bhatronjkhan-Tarikhet-Ranikhet

Ok, steeper gradient, narrow between Dhangarhi till Bhatronjkhan, a distance of 46 kms. More scenic, more twisty.

I think I'll decide between the two competing routes at the time when I have to make the choice.

Your thoughts -HVK, deky, iraghava? Will also connect with nkapoor777 who will be the avantgarde- he will be driving from Delhi 24 hours ahead!

Regards, drive safe
- I will still suggest Route 3 that I am patronizing since the beginingIts a bit steep with a few more curves, but I am sure you will enjoy it. GC of your car wont be much of a bother as I am pretty sure this route is pretty good (untill and unless things have drastically changed) Usually UK interior roads are good and well maintained.

- I thought you planning to leave Delhi By 7 am, right? If you stick to that plan and take Ramnagar route you will be in Ramnagar, no later than 1300 hrs. You can have lunch in any of the restaurants in between Ramnagar and Dhangiri. The environment and the scenery is beautifull.

- I am sure you will make it to Majkali latest by 1630 hrs

- Also let me add that these are only suggestions, finally you the one who is at the wheel so you take the route which you are most comfortable taking

Regards
Old 19th December 2010, 18:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinin95 View Post
Hi Issigonis,

No need to install the yellow sticker in Gujarat if you are not going to enter into cities and stay there for a while.
I don't agree at all.
In the first place, the moment you enter Ahmedabad city, cops harass you at every junction on the day your luck is bad.
Those who are bypassing Ahmedabad - cops are active on the Sardar Patel Ring Road too (Sarkhej side) and - although I have never faced any problems so far - a friend (who had a MH regd car and was with his family) was harassed on the SP Ring Road when he was bypassing it on his way from Bombay to Rajkot.
Old 19th December 2010, 18:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As deky suggested, I would take Route 3, bur from Ramnagar, I would prefer to take the route to Kaladhungi, Haldwani, Kathagodam, Bhowali to get to Ranikhet since it will be late by then and I would prefer to take the busier highway route instead of the jungle road via Corbett. Moreover, since you are coming from Ranikhet to Corbett on return, you can take the direct road at that time, makes the drive more interesting.
Old 19th December 2010, 19:56   #26
BHPian

@HVK: Since I plan to leave Delhi around 2-3 AM, I should hit the Moradabad bypass around the time the morning light starts to take effect. Would it be ok to take route#3 in this case? I will be travelling with wife and kid, so need to take all precautions.
Old 19th December 2010, 20:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
@HVK: Since I plan to leave Delhi around 2-3 AM, I should hit the Moradabad bypass around the time the morning light starts to take effect. Would it be ok to take route#3 in this case? I will be travelling with wife and kid, so need to take all precautions.
You mean - from human safety point of view or animal crossing point of view?

I thought that the road till Moradabad always had a tinge of unsafety (around Gajraula), but I would let those more familiar with the area to comment on that aspect.

After Ramnagar, you can expect wildlife crossings since you are crossing the Corbett WLS.
Old 19th December 2010, 20:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
- I will still suggest Route 3 that I am patronizing since the beginingIts a bit steep with a few more curves, but I am sure you will enjoy it. GC of your car wont be much of a bother as I am pretty sure this route is pretty good (untill and unless things have drastically changed) Usually UK interior roads are good and well maintained.

- I thought you planning to leave Delhi By 7 am, right? If you stick to that plan and take Ramnagar route you will be in Ramnagar, no later than 1300 hrs. You can have lunch in any of the restaurants in between Ramnagar and Dhangiri. The environment and the scenery is beautifull.

- I am sure you will make it to Majkali latest by 1630 hrs

- Also let me add that these are only suggestions, finally you the one who is at the wheel so you take the route which you are most comfortable taking

Regards
>>>

deky,

I fully appreciate your preference for the Ramnagar route (all petrolheads/t-bhpians recommend it!).
As to my start time, my updated route excel still has the start time as 7 am. The only concern and a big one is the fog. Under normal driving conditions and traffic, a 7 am start will mean reaching the Moradabad bypass end by 12 noon and Kashipur by 1 pm. Lunch around that area will mean I can restart after lunch from Ramnagar by 2.15 pm, thereby reaching Ranikhet comfortably by 6.15 pm. This is fine.

But if I have fog, either I start earlier at say 5.30 am or add another two hours at least.
By the way Honey called up to update me this afternoon. He suggested route #3 as his first preference and route #1 as his second. He discounted the Tanda-Bazpur route totally, saying the road was in poor condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
As deky suggested, I would take Route 3, bur from Ramnagar, I would prefer to take the route to Kaladhungi, Haldwani, Kathagodam, Bhowali to get to Ranikhet since it will be late by then and I would prefer to take the busier highway route instead of the jungle road via Corbett. Moreover, since you are coming from Ranikhet to Corbett on return, you can take the direct road at that time, makes the drive more interesting.
>>>
hvk,

This is an interesting alternative because :

1. the Moradabad-Rampur section which is not too good can be avoided
2. the lorry traffic in/around Rudrapur/Pantnagar can be avoided

However, no one has any status update on the Ramnagar-Kaladhungi section. I can consider this also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
>>>
Nitin,

I have been driven in a taxi with my family between Ramnagar-Ranikhet, between 7pm-11pm in almost the same time, two years ago. At the time I didn't know that night drives along this section is best avoided. But I won't have any issues driving along this route in broad daylight. Of course it is upto you to decide which route you are most comfortable with. I will ping you for updates on 26th morning- do keep your mobile switched on. Are you on Latitude? If you are, your friends can track your progress.

Regards, drive safe
Old 19th December 2010, 20:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Going OT here, but whats the issue big issue with Yellow Tapes in Gujrat?

Will it not be easier just to buy a Rs 15/- yellow cello tape and paste in on the headlight while passing the state and avoid any hassels with the cop?

Or is it that these tapes have any specification and they are expensive?

Guys please dont start bashing me here, as I really dont know!!
Old 19th December 2010, 22:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Aha... another "which route should I follow across your backyard?" thread that I'd completely missed somehow...
Quote:
Be wary of heavy fog in the HR-DL-UP-UK region - can hamper your start/stop timings and reduce speeds.

Amy idea if this is the sugarcane harvest season in UP - can that mean lots of unruly miscellaneous traffic on the roads even at nights?
Fog hasn't set in yet this season over Western UP (mercifully), but the next week things might suddenly change.

Sugarcane harvest season on in full swing. DEL-MBD will have slow-moving animal-drawn vehicles and "jugaads" messing up the speed. The season lasts till late Feb, starting early/mid-Nov.
Quote:
...supplemented by a strong LED torch.
What for? To penetrate the fog or to dazzle oncoming traffic? LED torches of whatever power won't help in either situation. And if you do manage to dazzle a "bhaiyya", you can look to get sideswiped on passing on single-lane roads...
Quote:
3. The double laning till Moradabad should be complete by now ( not sure, needs to be confirmed) so hopefully you should be good at/near the sugar mills and smaller towns.
Around 30km of the road approaching Garh Mukteshwar (Garh Ganga) on either side is still single lane, and so is the Ganga bridge - the rest is fine, though a little worse for wear due to the patchy repair after the monsoons. Bumpy ride, but no major potholes.
Quote:
I guess you will be taking the Airport-Ashram-Noida Toll Bridge-NH24A bypass-Hapur route to bypass Ghaziabad?
Why bother with the Noida Toll Bridge (DND Flyway) when taking the Nizamuddin bridge and going straight past the CWG Village, Akshardham and across the border on to Hapur bypass is a shorter and fast road, without the need to pay toll either?
Watch out for the "chase-and-challan" traffic cops, who'll run after you on their Pulsars if you jump a signal or forget to wear your seatbelt, or have the cellphone in your hand.
Quote:
I'd stick to this route with a low-GC car.
Quote:
...just to buy a Rs 15/- yellow cello tape and paste in on the headlight...
Yep, a yellow cello-tape or insulation tape will do admirably, esp. when venturing into the cities of Ahmedabad and Vadodara. Places like Rajkot/Jamnagar/Bhuj don't bother with those stickers, and I don't remember being pulled up on the highways thru GJ for not having that sticker.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th December 2010 at 22:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks