Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 15:45   #16
BHPian

re: 8 days in hand, where in HP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@log no deterrents mate, am a mountain man myself, lol. Since he is looking for an idyllic place to spend some time and not fixated on hills, Rajasthan makes a perfect destination as it is best visited during winters. Moreover in the hills this time the road conditions have gone from bad to worse, plus this time around almost everyone is bracing for a biting cold. Higher reaches have already turned white this year. Plus unless like me you have a morbid fascination for hills, they are better being given a miss this winter atleast. Suggest go to Kharapathar, Rohru than Binsar for not only the things are better organised in HP but the roads are also comparatively better. Have you been into Pabbar valley? If not try Hathkothi, Rohru, Sandhanshu route. Try the PWD guesthouse at Sandhanshu by the river side, worth spending some idle time there.
Your love (or well termed morbid fascination) for mountains, which I definitely share, made me ask for deterrents when you said no to UK & HP. The perspective, on why you said that, cleared now. Been to Pabbar Valley back in 2008, and loved lazing on the banks of the river both a Hathkoti & Rohru. Had stayed in Kharapathar though. Will take up your advice, and am grateful for it.

EDIT: Would snow be there in Kharapathar around 31 Dec - 3 Jan?

Last edited by lordofgondor : 9th December 2010 at 15:53.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Planning a 4-5 days trip either to HP (Kharapathar, Rohru) or UK (Binsar, Chaukori) over the first weekend of the coming new year myself. .
Quote:
@log no deterrents mate, am a mountain man myself, lol. Since he is looking for an idyllic place to spend some time and not fixated on hills, Rajasthan makes a perfect destination as it is best visited during winters.
Unbelievable! You guys convince me for Rajasthan once and the other moment its all about how great hills would be at that time , not fair. You've got me confused again. I think with the last 2 trips to Rajasthan only I better start thinking about HP now. For some reason I wanted everybody to recommend HP.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

@log snow around 31st -3 Jan, only a remote chance. But by later half of Jan you might strike it lucky though.
@Fine69: Dont get confused mate, Rajasthan is a better destination in winters trust me. For HP if you ahve time during the sweltering summers, we will tell you the place you should be in at that time. Dont listen to the ramblings of two mountain goats, lol.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Unbelievable! You guys convince me for Rajasthan once and the other moment its all about how great hills would be at that time , not fair. You've got me confused again. I think with the last 2 trips to Rajasthan only I better start thinking about HP now. For some reason I wanted everybody to recommend HP.
Sorry bro, that was totally unintentional. And I recommend HP with whole of my heart.

For mountains lovers it's very hard to convince the mind to go anywhere else. RJ is a great place, all the more in winters. But as I said for myself, nothing beats them mountains. Catching snow just adds icing to the cake. And hey, if you want HP, then why not! But as wanderernomad has pointed out, be ready for some difficulties (real cold weather, bad roads) if you head there.

EDIT: What wanderernomad has said makes perfect sense man, even about the ramblings thing!

@WN: What place(s) would you suggest in HP/UK for catching snow (snowfall not necessary) during the mentioned time period? How about Jalori Jot? Would it be open that time?

Last edited by lordofgondor : 9th December 2010 at 17:20.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:34   #20
BHPian

>>>

Rajasthan is also wonderful during the monsoons.
It is always cold and foggy during winter in UT/HP. The only difference is this time the winter is likely to be severe.
Winter is holiday time and so the chances of being accosted by your neighbour in your holiday destination is well nigh there.
Old 9th December 2010, 20:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

@log: I shall send you some info by pm. Lets not confuse and tempt 69 any more than what has already been done.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets not confuse and tempt 69 any more than what has already been done.
More confusion or not you guys have already done the damage!

After going through gd1418's jaisalmer travelogue and finding out that Sam sand dunes don't look the same as Abu Dhabi's (courtesy Sex and the City - 2) we both decided that it'd be HP this time.

So considering that I'd be taking my Swift diesel and there would most likely be just the two of us please suggest an itinerary that includes snow (lots of it) and the best possible scenery that I can make it to. I can stop at some place and only proceed once the road condition and other things can be confirmed.

EDIT: Don't want to travel in a rush.

Last edited by fine69 : 10th December 2010 at 12:12.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

If its just you two and you need nothing else, suggest Karsog. Nothing much there except the deodaars and the solitude. You might get lucky with snow. Plus the roads are about ok on the route. Suggested route will be Shimla- Tattapani- Karsog.
If its snow and that too lots of it go onto to Manali, your best bet.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 10th December 2010 at 12:38.
Old 10th December 2010, 13:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its just you two and you need nothing else, suggest Karsog.
Just Karsog for all the days? How about Kalpa, Chitkul during this time as one of the first suggestions on this thread, I liked the reviews on it. I mean its either going the NH-21 way or NH-22 way, right? Or is it possible to all the way up to Tabo or maybe complete the loop and return via Manali or something like that. Just getting ideas out of googlemap
Old 10th December 2010, 13:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
If its just you two and you need nothing else, suggest Karsog. Nothing much there except the deodaars and the solitude. You might get lucky with snow. Plus the roads are about ok on the route. Suggested route will be Shimla- Tattapani- Karsog.
If its snow and that too lots of it go onto to Manali, your best bet.
Hey bro, what are the stay options at Karsog? Your description of the place makes it very tempting! What's the elevation of the place? It's proximity to Tirthan Valley is also interesting.

fine69, maybe you could include Narkanda & Tirthan into your plans.

@WN, fine69: How does this itinerary sound for 8 days:

Day 1: Delhi - Narkanda
Day 2: Narkanda (visit Hatu Temple and view the peak)
Day 3: Narkanda - Tirthan via Jalori Jot (would snow be there?)
Day 4: Tirthan, enjoy basking in the sun along the river. If snow on Jalori, maybe more fun in the snow.
Day 5: Tirthan - Karsog
Day 6: Karsog
Day 7: Karsog
Day 8: Karsog - Delhi

EDIT:

Quote:
Just Karsog for all the days? How about Kalpa, Chitkul during this time as one of the first suggestions on this thread, I liked the reviews on it. I mean its either going the NH-21 way or NH-22 way, right? Or is it possible to all the way up to Tabo or maybe complete the loop and return via Manali or something like that. Just getting ideas out of googlemap
Kalpa/Chitkul would be awesomely cold (temperatures in negative) and I really ain't sure about accommodations in there at this time. The HPTDC hotel (Kalpa) closes down in Dec & not sure about private ones. Furthermore, the road conditions might not be in favor and any abrupt snowfall may cause break in the plan.

By Loop, are you thinking about a Spiti/Lahaul loop? If so, remember Kunzum La will be closed. Also I ain't sure how far would you be able to travel into Spiti and there's always a risk of getting stuck if it snows.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 10th December 2010 at 13:52.
Old 10th December 2010, 13:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
@WN, fine69: How does this itinerary sound for 8 days:

Day 1: Delhi - Narkanda
Day 2: Narkanda (visit Hatu Temple and view the peak)
Day 3: Narkanda - Tirthan via Jalori Jot (would snow be there?)
Day 4: Tirthan, enjoy basking in the sun along the river. If snow on Jalori, maybe more fun in the snow.
Day 5: Tirthan - Karsog
Day 6: Karsog
Day 7: Karsog
Day 8: Karsog - Delhi
I haven't been to any of the places but having been to Mcleodganj during the same time last year I was thinking that if I had a choice of going to a similar place or may be even around it somewhere, you know a higher altitude than Narkanda/Karsog. Looking at googlemap it seems that Kalpa on NH-22 and Manali (or Katrain) on NH-21 is where the real snowy mountain range starts.

By the way I haven't even been to Manali but it being a typical commercialized place I'm not very keen on going there either. I mean I'm not sure if its even worth all the effort when I could instead go the NH-22 way and get to better places than Manali.

EDIT: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ey-06-a-2.html Sangla Valley, Chitkul etc. look great!

Last edited by fine69 : 10th December 2010 at 14:07.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ey-06-a-2.html Sangla Valley, Chitkul etc. look great!
Totally understand your fascination for Kalpa & Sangla valley, especially Chitkul. It's a gem of a place, simply amazing! My doubts are on the weather & stay options in there during December end. Maybe you can check the situation with Thakur guest house in Chitkul. The contact nos. are:

01786-244320
01786-244275

BTW, Narkanda is at a decent height, ~2700m and I guess the Hatu peak viewpoint is > 3000m. In the other hand, Mc'ganj is only ~2100m.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:53   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

If your looking for a peaceful holiday for 8 days. I agree with most of Lord recommendation.

1 day in Shimla
2 days in Narkhanda ( Hotel Hatu)
2 days in Tirthan Valley ( PM me if you want the number of a small guest house right next to river---Lovely place)
1 Manali

Rest for driving to and fro from above places

Btw, last year around end december drove from Narkhan to Tirthan Valley via the Jalori Pass, luckily there was not much snow. But, it is one of the most dangerous route in Himachal but, also the most scenic.

However, in peak winter season, i would not take that route again
Old 10th December 2010, 16:36   #29
BHPian

Re: 8 days in hand, where in HP?

Wow! You think of something and there is a thread on tBHP discussing it already!!

Even I am in a similar dilemma! But the factors are different.

Along with my wife I'll be having my 2 yr old daughter for company. The time would be Jan end and duration would be of 2 weeks (yea! isn’t it awesome!). Also my location is far from both the regions, Pune.

I have thought of the following options (these are just drafts),

1. Pune>>Ahmedabad>>Jaisalmer>>Jodhpur>>Mt.Abu>>Vadod ara>>Pune (Self Driven)
2. Pune>>Delhi>>Chandigarh>>Shimla>>Tirthan>>Manali (flight, taxi)

I am biased towards RJ option considering the cold weather up north being harsh for my kid and I get to DRIVE..!!! And please note, even I am more of a mountain person, but Rajasthan is something I have never explored..

69, I hope you won’t mind my queries mixed n your thread. But the situation does not warrants a new thread..! Please PM if you think otherwise.

Last edited by cyclops : 10th December 2010 at 16:40.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8 days in hand, where in HP?

Sorry to hijack this thread Lordofgondor, I too was looking for a 2 day break out of Delhi, the current plan is to stay 2 nights at Narkanda, had to cancel out an extra night in HP due to some personal issues.
Now, I have booked 2 nights at Hatu Narkanda, I would like to know till where I can drive out from Narkanda for a day drive, I will probably be taking a cab out of Delhi.
The dates are 17th and 18th December 2010.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks