Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 17:54   #31
BHPian

Re: 8 days in hand, where in HP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Along with my wife I'll be having my 2 yr old daughter for company. The time would be Jan end and duration would be of 2 weeks (yea! isn’t it awesome!)....

I have thought of the following options (these are just drafts),

1. Pune>>Ahmedabad>>Jaisalmer>>Jodhpur>>Mt.Abu>>Vadod ara>>Pune (Self Driven)
2. Pune>>Delhi>>Chandigarh>>Shimla>>Tirthan>>Manali (flight, taxi)

I am biased towards RJ option considering the cold weather up north being harsh for my kid and I get to DRIVE..!!! And please note, even I am more of a mountain person, but Rajasthan is something I have never explored..
Hey cyclops, don't make me envy you man!

I think RJ is a better option for you, better start making those bookings for accommodation. Why not include Udaipur in your trip, there's ample time for it I think. And you definitely will love driving on the smooth roads of RJ.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread Lordofgondor, I too was looking for a 2 day break out of Delhi, the current plan is to stay 2 nights at Narkanda, had to cancel out an extra night in HP due to some personal issues.
Now, I have booked 2 nights at Hatu Narkanda, I would like to know till where I can drive out from Narkanda for a day drive, I will probably be taking a cab out of Delhi.
The dates are 17th and 18th December 2010.
Hey bro, glad to be of help and its not my thread anyways.

You can visit the Hatu Mata Temple getting to which involves a nice drive over narrow & steep roads. From the temple, you have a panoramic view of the snow capped peaks unless its hazy/cloudy. Also there's an artificial lake (not anything great though) a few minutes drive from the hotel.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 10th December 2010 at 18:12.
Old 10th December 2010, 18:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I think RJ is a better option for you
Yeah RJs better, just that HP's far better and its only a matter of time before log and wanderernomad mention this.

Ok so Kalpa/Chitkul are out of the question, I agree.

As suggested by a lot of you I think I can do Shimla, Narkanda, Tirthan & Manali, would need your help on the route and accomodation though.

As for accomodation, please advise on rest/guest houses that are cheap, real cheap.
Old 10th December 2010, 18:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
better start making those bookings for accommodation
@cyclops: Please ignore the above line as I misread the time line of your planned trip.

@fine69: Bro I ain't becoming the perpetrator again. Just fire away on any info required on routes. EDIT: For good price accommodations, I'd suggest you try for govt./PWD guest/rest houses. Cheap & best.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 10th December 2010 at 18:27.
Old 10th December 2010, 19:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Hey cyclops, don't make me envy you man!

I think RJ is a better option for you, better start making those bookings for accommodation. Why not include Udaipur in your trip, there's ample time for it I think. And you definitely will love driving on the smooth roads of RJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Yeah RJs better, just that HP's far better and its only a matter of time before log and wanderernomad mention this.
Quote:
@cyclops: Please ignore the above line as I misread the time line of your planned trip.
Thanks guys..

Even I envied many for a few years, until I could squeeze this one!

Hmm.. So Rajasthan it is.. Though I would love to go north, but the enticement of a drive is luring me towards RJ.!

But I still thought that someone here would be able to divert me to HP!

Yes, definitely I would be covering Udaipur as well. This was just a draft as I said. Will chalk out the final plan in coming days. And yes, I would also cover Sambhar Lake & Ajmer Sharif if possible..

Last edited by cyclops : 10th December 2010 at 19:51.
Old 10th December 2010, 19:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For good price accommodations, I'd suggest you try for govt./PWD guest/rest houses. Cheap & best.
Can anyone help here? I have no contacts with govt. officials whatsoever. Do they entertain regular tourists or there has to be some sarkaari connection. Please PM me if anyone can help in this regard, would highly appreciate.

@cyclops: In Udaipur I'd strongly recommend the Lal Ghat area for staying and do visit Kumbhalgarh & Ranakpur while you're there.

Last edited by fine69 : 10th December 2010 at 20:03.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

My My this thread is getting merrier and merrier. Let me see hmm
@fine69: I keep saying over and over again, dont ever mix two different watersheds in a single trip unless absolutely necessary. For you the best option would be either, Tirthan, Manikaran, Manali or Shimla, Naldehra, Tattapani, Karsog and on your way back you can come to Rampur, Sarahan, Narkanda, Chail or continue to Mandi, Sundarnagar, Bilaspur. That should do it for your 8 days of bliss.
@Log: Proximity to Thirthan is just on the maps. You are separated by the mighty ridges and crossing Jalori is well best avoided during peak winters, but a last minute rain check as to snow will be very useful. Karsog is about 6500 mts or so but will ask for exact altitude and will let you know.
@luke: your 2 days include travel or are apart from travel? A single day drive to Thanadhar/ Baghipul can be very enchanting especially during Jan end. You can drive to a quaint little village called as pujarli via Ghansidhar for a nice picnic as well. The village has an old style temple visible for miles around.

@fine69: Thats depends bro on what time you have gone there. If the guest house is empty they would let you stay there. In case you can firm up your plan Ill see what can be managed at the places you choose.

@log on second thoughts have you been to the Ropa Valley? Its the place to be if you dont mind the bitter winter, lol.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 10th December 2010 at 22:33.
Old 10th December 2010, 23:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@fine69: I keep saying over and over again, dont ever mix two different watersheds in a single trip unless absolutely necessary. For you the best option would be either, Tirthan, Manikaran, Manali or Shimla, Naldehra, Tattapani, Karsog and on your way back you can come to Rampur, Sarahan, Narkanda, Chail or continue to Mandi, Sundarnagar, Bilaspur. That should do it for your 8 days of bliss.
What does that (in bold) mean?

Besides, Shimla isn't a must, must is snow. My wife hasn't ever seen snow and neither of us are hell bent on including Shimla in the trip (it just isn't exciting). As for the seriousness part of it, both of us have already taken leave from 27 Dec to 31 Dec and plan on leaving on 25th morning. Its totally upto veterans like you to suggest the best tour possible, because if you don't I'd still go to HP and get lost somewhere.

Trust me when I say this, I have no idea what to expect. Its totally upto the bhpians here who can suggest places to me. It looks like you've been there and done that. So now, what shall it be?

Points to consider:
1. Snow is must
2. Considering that I'd be driving a swift I'd not want an extremely rough terrain
3. Extreme cold isn't a problem at all.
4. A little populous town/village would be preferred considering that it'd just be the two of us.
5. Budget for accommodation is tight, very very tight. To let it out in the open ~300-500 types.

Last edited by fine69 : 10th December 2010 at 23:08.
Old 11th December 2010, 00:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

If snow is the prime objective stick to Manali axis. Watersheds are the rivers. You see in all mountain terrain the rain that falls on the ridges goes in one direction or the other. Generally there are 2 watersheds areas around each mountain system that carry the water from that particular direction. If you will notice all routes in hills are along a river as you go deeper into the system. What I meant was that stay in a specific direction of a particular system. If you are on Tirthan Manali route that is the Beas valley dont corss over to the Satluj watershed that is the Tattapani, Karsog area. Up the creek and over the hill is what they say, I hope I ahve not confused you even further.
Manali has ample places to suit your budget. In case required I can rig you a nice place (if available though) for close to your budget in the heart of the town. Since you are on your own wheels you can explore the valley at leisure and have the maximum bang out of your buck and time.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 11th December 2010 at 00:06.
Old 11th December 2010, 01:29   #39
Team-BHP Support

From Narkanda, you can visit Haku peak, and a very nice church nearby in Thanedar(100 years old church).
You can also go down into the valley and enjoy the Sutlej
Old 11th December 2010, 11:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
If snow is the prime objective stick to Manali axis. Watersheds are the rivers. You see in all mountain terrain the rain that falls on the ridges goes in one direction or the other. Generally there are 2 watersheds areas around each mountain system that carry the water from that particular direction. If you will notice all routes in hills are along a river as you go deeper into the system. What I meant was that stay in a specific direction of a particular system. If you are on Tirthan Manali route that is the Beas valley dont corss over to the Satluj watershed that is the Tattapani, Karsog area. Up the creek and over the hill is what they say, I hope I ahve not confused you even further.
Manali has ample places to suit your budget. In case required I can rig you a nice place (if available though) for close to your budget in the heart of the town. Since you are on your own wheels you can explore the valley at leisure and have the maximum bang out of your buck and time.
Still now clear why one shouldn't mix two watersheds but since you and they advise against it I think I understand.

Now for the Tirthan Manali route, I can't locate Tirthan anywhere on mapmyindia or googlemap, there's a Tirthan Wildlife Sanctuary though, so need more clues here please.

You mentioned Tirthan, Manikaran and then Manali. Will I be following the NH-21 from Chandigarh or do I have to go via Shimla for Tirthan.
Would the Itinerary look something like this?
Day 1: Delhi to Tirthan Valley (is it possible if I start by 5 AM)
Day 2: Tirthan Valley
Day 3: Tirthan Valley to Manikaran (start by noon)
Day 4: Manikaran (What is this place?)
Day 5: Manikaran to Manali (possible to start by noon & reach Manali before sun goes down?)
Day 6: Manali
Day 7: Around Manali?
Day 8: halfway back to Delhi
Day 9: back to Delhi

Where's Day 9 came from? I always had it but wanted to rest for a day before going back to the usual home-work-home life so wanted to keep the tour to 8 days only.

Please make necessary changes in the itinerary and squeeze it to strictly 8 days.

@tsk1979: Thanks for the suggestion, if Narkanda's part of the final itinerary I'll ensure my visit to the Haku peak, read some great things about it.

Last edited by fine69 : 11th December 2010 at 11:55.
Old 11th December 2010, 12:58   #41
BHPian

@Wandernomad - Just like fine69, i am also utterly confused about the reasoning behind not going to 2 watersheds in one go. I understand whats a water shed, but why not go to two of them in one vacation? I mean if you have time on your hand, there are good roads / bridges connecting the two watersheds ( most regions in HP are connected by good / decent roads, whichever Watershed they may be in), and good places worth visiting and spending time in, what stops one from going to two watersheds???
Old 11th December 2010, 13:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

The you should read this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-gurgaon.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
And yes, I would also cover Sambhar Lake & Ajmer Sharif if possible..
Try www.rtdc.in for accommodation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can anyone help here? I have no contacts with govt. officials whatsoever. Do they entertain regular tourists or there has to be some sarkaari connection. Please PM me if anyone can help in this regard, would highly appreciate.

Last edited by gd1418 : 11th December 2010 at 13:21.
Old 11th December 2010, 14:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Update: I've got the provisional booking done at The Rohtang Manalsu, Manali for 29, 30 & 31st. (New Year should be spent in the mountains only)

Quote:
Dear Sir,

This is with reference to your telecon dated 09.12.2010. We have provisionally booked the following accommodation for you in The Rohtang Manalsu, Manali as per the availability on MAP i.e room rent + breakfast + one major veg. meal either lunch or dinner for two persons on double occupancy.

One DBR Economy (NXB) @ Rs. 1123/- per day i/c taxes on MAP for 29.12.2010 & 30.12.2010.
One DBR Regular @ Rs. 1233/- per day i/c taxes on MAP for 31.12.2010 (check-out on 01.01.2011 noon).
What do you guys think?

@wanderernomad: Since you mentioned about helping me out with accomodation, anything cheaper with meals included would be great.
Besides everything above, the itinerary is still not finalized, awaiting inputs.

@gd1418: That's for Rajasthan. Its no longer on the cards.
Old 11th December 2010, 20:48   #44
Team-BHP Support

Delhi - Tirthan = 11 hrs
Tirthan - Manikaran -3-4 hours
Manikaran - Manali - 3-4 hours
Manali-Delhi = 13-14 hours

You do not need to spend 2 nights in manikaran
Old 11th December 2010, 21:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Update: Riverside Resort in Tirthan Valley provisionally booked from 25 Dec'10 to 27 Dec'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Delhi - Tirthan = 11 hrs
Tirthan - Manikaran -3-4 hours
Manikaran - Manali - 3-4 hours
Manali-Delhi = 13-14 hours

You do not need to spend 2 nights in manikaran
Thanks a lot for this info, really helpful.

This is how I've planned it. In case there's a better alternate to Manikaran please advise. I'm not sure what all Manikaran has to offer.

8 days in hand, where in HP?-test.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks