Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 15:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help required to plan my Dec trip to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
From Vazhoor, it is very simple - you come to a small junction where the right fork is NH220 continuing 22 kms to Kottayam, and the left turn is for Changanaserry (with signages). That will lead you via Karukachal to Changanaserry.

At Changanaserry, you will join the MC Road (Kottayam-Trivandrum), turn south (left) towards Trivandrum, and 1 km out of town, you will see the right turn off to SH11 for Alapuzha (with signages).

SH11 will meet NH47 at Kalarcode, 3 kms south of Alapuzha town.

Instead of going to Alapuzha, turn left (south) towards Trivandrum and go to Chavara beyond Ambalapuzha, Kayamkulam & Karunagapalli to Chavara.

Precise instructions:
Kumili-Vandiperiyar 15 kms-Kuttikanam 20 kms-Mundakkayam 22-Kanjirapalli 14-Ponkunnam 5-Vazhoor 12-turn left-Karukachal 10-Changanaserry 15-Turn off to SH11 2 km-Ramankary 11-Monkompu 4-NH47 before Alapuzha 10-turn left onto NH47-Ambalapuzha 10-Haripad 20-Kayamkulam 5-Oachira 15-Karunagapalli 10-Kerala Minerals & Metals Factory gate 5-Turn LEFT here for Club M
HVK sir, have you ever tried the Changanacherry-Thiruvalla-Mannar-Chennithala-Mavelikkara-Krishnapuram road to get to NH47 from Changanacherry ? This has been the route that I've been taking all these years, and these roads are generally in very good condition all year (Was pretty good when I traveled that way last which was probably a year ago, so no clue about current situation).

It's shorter by at least 25 to 30 kms and you can get to Krishnapuram (which is about 3kms south of Kayamkulam) in about an hour or so from Changanacherry (45 kms). If you go via Alleppey the distance is close to 75 kms and you'd be lucky to reach Krishnapuram in 90 minutes (The NH-47 traffic is generally pretty heavy, and whatever time advantage you gain by travelling on the nice SH-11 gets lost on the NH)
Old 10th December 2010, 15:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

@bsdbsd, not to dampen your spirits, but parents (they stay in Kollam district) tell me that it has been raining quite heavily in the last week. Today has been slightly better.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on my vacation to TVM/Kollam. I plan to go around Christmas time, but if it is raining heavily then I have my doubts.
Old 10th December 2010, 15:19   #18
BHPian

I'm going a little beyond the route. At CM Ashtamudi, see if you canget one of the floating cottages. They're awesome
Old 10th December 2010, 15:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
HVK sir, have you ever tried the Changanacherry-Thiruvalla-Mannar-Chennithala-Mavelikkara-Krishnapuram road to get to NH47 from Changanacherry ? This has been the route that I've been taking all these years, and these roads are generally in very good condition all year (Was pretty good when I traveled that way last which was probably a year ago, so no clue about current situation).

It's shorter by at least 25 to 30 kms and you can get to Krishnapuram (which is about 3kms south of Kayamkulam) in about an hour or so from Changanacherry (45 kms). If you go via Alleppey the distance is close to 75 kms and you'd be lucky to reach Krishnapuram in 90 minutes (The NH-47 traffic is generally pretty heavy, and whatever time advantage you gain by travelling on the nice SH-11 gets lost on the NH)
I had made some enquiries and heard that the Mannar road is in good condition (when I visited KL last fortnight). But I like SH11 from Alapuzha to Changanaserry primarily because it is very pretty since the road runs all along the backwaters.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I'm going a little beyond the route. At CM Ashtamudi, see if you canget one of the floating cottages. They're awesome
I was (one of the) the first caller to CM to book a floating cottage a few months back. They said they were all booked out..like in first two mins of bookings opened. I have to make do with a hotel unit now...will write a separate write-up on this once my vacation is over.

BTW, Any ideas on what to do there...? I am a newbie to the place as well...
Old 10th December 2010, 16:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
@bsdbsd, not to dampen your spirits, but parents (they stay in Kollam district) tell me that it has been raining quite heavily in the last week. Today has been slightly better.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on my vacation to TVM/Kollam. I plan to go around Christmas time, but if it is raining heavily then I have my doubts.
hmm..good to know in advance the weather conditions. Keeping my fingers crossed too. Is this the rainy season in Kerala?
Old 10th December 2010, 17:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Is this the rainy season in Kerala?
It is not the rainy season. In fact Dec is one of my favourite months in KL as the weather is very pleasant. But TN and KL have been getting out of turn heavy rains for some weeks now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
BTW, Any ideas on what to do there...? I am a newbie to the place as well...
Kollam district has backwaters (Ashtamudi lake), Kallada river, beaches (Vaadi, Thankassery). These are nearer to your place of stay. Paravoor, Varkala are 20KM away, again with backwaters, beaches etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks