Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 23:16   #46
BHPian

Re: One day trip to Shirdi from Pune: Need cab + additional info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
Anyone driving from Pune to Shirdi should avoid the Ahmednagar bypass as its in a really pathetic state. Completely broken patch of around 20 kms and heavy truck traffic causing it to be full of dust. I was able to manage in my Safari Storme but it will be tough for low GC vehicles. Better to go through Ahmednagar till the bypass is fixed.
+1 completely agree. I was warned by more than 5 friends when I went to Aurangabad 2 weeks back. I just drove through the city ignoring all the "bypass" boards. Google maps sent me via the city so there was no confusion at all.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 10:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And arrival 4-5ish in an overnight bus means you can't attend kakad Aarti - probably the next Aarti in line.

Here are the timings, note that you need to queue a good amount of time before, and less queue if you book online

http://shrisaibabasansthan.org.in/daily-schedule/
Thanks for sharing the link hserus. I remember having attended the kakad aarti when I used to take an over nighter but looks like the timings for the aarti have changed. Any idea on the same? If not then I sure was hallucinating when I checked the clock after getting down from the bus
Old 24th April 2017, 18:19   #48
BHPian

Hello BHP’ians Centaur and other frequent travelers to Shirdi

I would be travelling/driving to Shirdi on the 30th of April with wifey and my 7 year old from Pune (Viman Nagar). Need some help in terms of the following:

- Eateries on the way
- Is taking the Ahmednagar bypass still not viable
- Also if I need to cross Ahmednagar, what will be the best time to cross i.e. going to Shirdi on Sunday and returning on Monday.
- Any map link to be followed for the correct route i.e. avoiding bypasses etc.

Can you also confirm how the highways are i.e. 4 laner/2 laner. Anything else I need to bear in mind, like dress code etc. We are booking the online darshan.

Thanks
Rish
Old 24th April 2017, 18:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Smile Stone near supe is roughly midway and has decent food. Vasudev Kamat joints also there.

The Ahmednagar bypass is very variable in quality but cuts quite a lot of time off your travel especially during the morning and evening rush hours. The highway is mostly four lane till the Ahmednagar bypass (not sure why people insist on shortening it to "nagar")

Definitely book a darshan or Aarti slot online.

Stay in a hotel like keys temple tree or marigold that provides a free shuttle to the mandir Shani gate that allows online booking entry (and keep a printout of the booking as well as ID proof that you mentioned in the booking with you). Leave your car parked at the hotel.

You can leave your phone and footwear at a small booth that's opposite the Shani gate.

As for dress - wear what you usually wear when you go to a temple, any decent dress will do, maybe not shorts. The temple authorities don't seem to object to any other clothing as well (e.g. western wear for women) and i see many dresses that way, but the majority wear trousers and shirts for men, sari / salwar suits for women as you can expect.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 18:49   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Need some help in terms of the following:
Suresh has already replied to your queries, but some inputs from my side

- Eateries on the way
a) Vithal Kamat around 5 kms before Ranjangaon. In case you leave Pune early and want to have breakfast
b) Smile Stone mid way
c) Hotel Farhat Executive in Ahmednagar city

I would still recommend avoiding bypass. Ahmednagar city is not as congested as Pune and additional time spent by passing through city might be 20 to 25 minutes extra but gives you peace of mind.

- Also if I need to cross Ahmednagar, what will be the best time to cross i.e. going to Shirdi on Sunday and returning on Monday.
If travelling through Ahmednagar city, go all the way till DSP/DAP Chowk and then take left (there are sufficient sign boards) and then right at Patrakar chowk.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 10:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
- Eateries on the way

Can you also confirm how the highways are i.e. 4 laner/2 laner. Anything else I need to bear in mind, like dress code etc. We are booking the online darshan.

Thanks
Rish
Of all the places I found smilestone to be a good place to eat if with family. I always take a stop only at smilestone as my daughter has some fun time playing in the park and looking at the ducks there. Ample parking for our cars too.

I would still avoid Ahmednagar bypass. It makes more sense to go via Ahmednagar town as there is not much rush there. I have been travelling via Ahmednagar town only always and irrespective of the time, never found very heavy traffic in the city. The traffic becomes a little dense at times but never a jam so far atleast.

Since you are going on Sunday, I would suggest leaving early in the morning as you can easily cut past the city traffic, esp. 2 wheelers. Adding to it, its summer. So leaving early might make the trip more pleasant than leaving later.

Also be careful while crossing small towns and villages on the way. Slow down to a comfortable speed where you can stop if someone jumps in front. Villagers care little for traffic rules as in those villages only their rules work. Since you are on a two day trip (not a single day as I usually do), you can take things leisurely in terms of speed and otherwise as well.

For the map, you can refer this post of mine.

You are going on a long weekend. Even with the special darshan pass, be prepared for some crowd.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 18:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Of all the places I found smilestone to be a good place to eat if with family. I always take a stop only at smilestone as my daughter has some fun time playing in the park and looking at the ducks there. Ample parking for our cars too.
Smile Stone is fairly decent for tiffin items (idli / dosa / poha etc). Unfortunately it isn't terribly ideal for lunch.

The lunch food isn't terribly good and there are quite a few flies in the area.

The other issue is that I believe (could be wrong, my mother in law went in there and told me all this) the place also serves meat dishes in the dining area so that people going to shirdi (so vegetarian for the duration at least), or those that are pure vegetarians by religion, might be uncomfortable with it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can leave your phone and footwear at a small booth that's opposite the Shani gate.
Hi Suresh - Could you please let me know if there are any locker boxes where my friend can keep his belongings? My friend intends to take his iPad with for such a long journey (He is travelling by Neeta travels).

Thanks!
Old 14th September 2017, 14:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hi Suresh - Could you please let me know if there are any locker boxes where my friend can keep his belongings? My friend intends to take his iPad with for such a long journey (He is travelling by Neeta travels).

Thanks!
There is a phone storage booth right next to the slipper booth where they'll take your phones, ipads etc and put them in storage for the duration of your temple visit.

If he is travelling by Neeta Travels they will land at their own hotel in Shirdi where he can surely book a room either online or through the travels people. He can lock whatever goods in his room, it isn't all that costly.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 08:25   #55
BHPian

CAUTION!!!

I recently made a trip to Shirdi from Pune. I took the Ahmednagar bye pass road which is 15 km From smilestone. The road is on a worst condition. Only trucks and certain off-road vehicles can drive through. There is no sign that a road existed a year ago. It is better to drive through Ahmednagar town.
pranavGTI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 10:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
CAUTION!!!

It is better to drive through Ahmednagar town.
Always!!!! That route might be a shorter one but more time consuming and a torture for the vehicle you are travelling in than the Nagar route. Had mentioned in my post in the past that i always makes more sense to go via Ahmednagar route. If you are unlucky you may hit some traffic but apart from that there is no other reason to not take this route
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 00:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks, planning for a day trip to Shirdi from Pune on the 29th Dec. Will be traveling with family including old age parents. Want some advice on the darshan, is it advisable to book online the darhshan tickets? It is showing 800 bucks for 4 adults and 1 child. Will this ticket ensure shorter wait times? We aren't really interested in Aarti so planning to book for 2PM afternoon. We are planning to start from Pune at 6.30am via the Ahmednagar route and hopefully reach in 3 hrs 30 mins. Grab breakfast there then see other places before our time slot. The earliest time slot was at 9.45am but not sure if we can reach on time. Post Darshan we will head back to Pune with a plan to reach hotel by 9.30-10pm.

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th December 2018 at 00:13.
Old 16th December 2018, 06:55   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Is it advisable to book online the darhshan tickets? It is showing 800 bucks for 4 adults and 1 child. Will this ticket ensure shorter wait times? We aren't really interested in Aarti so planning to book for 2PM afternoon. We are planning to start from Pune at 6.30am via the Ahmednagar route and hopefully reach in 3 hrs 30 mins.

I am assuming you are coming from Bangalore and would be hiring a cab or going in for self-drive options. Based on my experience, booking online is recommended and it ensures shorter wait times.Consider travel duration of 4 to 4 1/2 hrs either ways to be on safer side.
Old 16th December 2018, 07:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
I am assuming you are coming from Bangalore and would be hiring a cab or going in for self-drive options. Based on my experience, booking online is recommended and it ensures shorter wait times.Consider travel duration of 4 to 4 1/2 hrs either ways to be on safer side.
Yes, 4 hrs seems a safer travel time as there will be one halt in between. Either ways since online we are getting a 2pm slot reaching Shirdi will not be hurried. Actually we are driving down to Pune on 28th Dec and then going to Shirdi as a day visit the next day. We didn't want to take a hotel in Shirdi as continuously packing and unpacking on 28, 29, 30 can be tiring. So decided to make Pune the base.

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th December 2018 at 07:31.
Old 16th December 2018, 08:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Depends on the time of day really. Get a myles, much better than zoomcar in terms of cars available in Pune. And avoid the Ahmednagar bypass, it is a minefield end to end.

And yes, book online without fail especially during the year end rush.

Most Viewed