Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2010, 23:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune-Silliguri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
I have plotted the route in google maps according to the inputs provided.

Pune - Silliguri - Pune - Google Maps

Technically its T-1day

Thanks to all especially HV Kumar.

I will be following the route mentioned above for now

T- 4 hrs..

Bye for now

Thanks
Rahul
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Update
Reached final destination today early morning.
Lost 4 hours in around malda, due to darn traffic and a MASTER diagnosis by JAY over phone for broken piston of slave cylinder of safari (2 hrs) lexicon motors Malda,(great job done in quick time).
I am somewhere near bhutan now, doing the work which I came for.

This wont have worked without HV Kumar's help. Thanks HV.

Rahul

Last edited by Amartya : 31st December 2010 at 08:24. Reason: removed the stray HTML tags
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
reached final destination today early morning
.... a MASTER diaganosis by JAY over phone for broken piston of slave cylinder of safari (2 hrs) lexicon motors Malda,(great job done in quick time)
Rahul
Congrats Rahul. Waiting for more updates. Road...Route...Pics....
Sorry to hear about Your beast break down. How is it happen??

Last edited by Amartya : 31st December 2010 at 08:25. Reason: Fixed the quoted post
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I can fill in some of the details, and the team-bhp at work!

Rahul's drive:
D1: Pune-Nagpur-Bhilai
D2: Bhilai-Sambalpur-Calcutta
D3: Calcutta-Malda-Sliguri-somewhere near the Bhutan border

That was some zesty driving, starting off at 5 every day and ending at 11!

Rahul had dinner at Sher-e-Punjab at Kolaghat, my friend Mahesh had his lunch there the next day.
Rahul had dinner at Golden Park at Malda, Mahesh ended up staying there!

Thanks, Rahul, for helping book the hotel room at Golden Park.

Thanks, jaysmokesleaves, for diagnosing the problem in Rahul's car, and helping him fix it at Malda in the quickest possible time (replaced slave cylinder).

KALINGA, I believe Rahul's clutch started slipping and that was a problem with the slave cylinder, which was replaced at TASC Malda with minimal loss of time.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Maybe I can fill in some of the details, and the team-bhp at work!

Rahul's drive:
D1: Pune-Nagpur-Bhilai (Durg) (Hotel Shakun)
D2: Bhilai-Sambalpur-Calcutta (Hotel Midday)
D3: Calcutta-Malda-Siliguri-somewhere near the Bhutan border
Quote:
D3, was a energy sapping slow drive due to bad to extreme bad roads and then 140kmph drive across, jashipur-kharagpur and then kishanganj -silliguri and then down sevoke road towards jaigaon (in the dead of night )
Now i bypassed, some 8km jam across around Dalkola railway phatak, by going on the wrong side no way out otherwise, but got stuck again opposite o Kishanganj railway station

So total lost time on D3 was approx 4.5hrs.

Started from Malda around 630 and reached destination around 1:45AM
That was some zesty driving, starting off at 5 every day and ending at 11!

Rahul had dinner at Sher-e-Punjab at Kolaghat, my friend Mahesh had his lunch there the next day.
Rahul had dinner at Golden Park at Malda, Mahesh ended up staying there!

Thanks, Rahul, for helping book the hotel room at Golden Park.
Quote:
Anytime, highly recommended hotel@ Malda. Superb food and excellent ambience and safe car park
Thanks, jaysmokesleaves, for diagnosing the problem in Rahul's car, and helping him fix it at Malda in the quickest possible time (replaced slave cylinder).

KALINGA, I believe Rahul's clutch started slipping and that was a problem with the slave cylinder, which was replaced at TASC Malda with minimal loss of time.
Quote:
Correction, no clutch slippage...around farakka, i heard a muted cluck sound and then the clutch pedal went in down completely. My heart sank, but strangely i was able to change gears so decided to go slowly. After sometime called TML Pandit Bhosari, Pune and they asked to check the fluid level after 10kms, if its going down or not else if not continue and get out of the area asap & if i get time get it attended from TASS. It was around 2PM. So continued until sometime and then after crossing farakka , stopped to check the fluid and found it until max mark. Curiously, i pulled the pedal back to see if it goes back down or not, but it didnt, though the level was approx 4cm above brake pedal. After some calls to HV and talking to Jay, came to know that its possible slav cylinder issue. Somehow found the correct no of Lexicon TML service station @ Malda(and told him that i was coming down with clutch issue and need to be fixed urgently, which was defintely attended in 2 hrs after replacing broken slave cylinder piston, and then a quick test drive through malda town. Time Taken 2hrs approx.
Claimed it under waranty and only paid for DOT4 fluid for clutch.
Quote:
Sevoke Road - binagudi s now fully built up. Beyond it to jaigaon its not upto mark.
I have taken quiet few rides from binagudi to silliguri now ..maybe 4 and the
fastet time i have taken until now is 1.15hrs so you can imagine the condition of the road.Pune-Silliguri-p1010610.jpg
Now contemplating going to gurumera national park, bhutan- phunsoling and gangtok - nathula (if at all) else north sikkim until Lachen, Lachung.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 24th December 2010 at 11:55.
Old 30th December 2010, 21:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ok

I managed to do some offroading in Jalpara and then managed to get the steed to Nathula as well

Right now in Bokaro

today took

silliguri-malda-siuri- raniganj-dhanbad-bokaro Link

Thanks for all the guidance and help HVK.

Tomm go to JSR and then DAT baharagora and back to pune

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 30th December 2010 at 21:06.
Old 30th December 2010, 22:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

That was a fabulous 750-km run today, Rahul - not easy even on superfast 4-laned roads, but you have done it in the narrow roads of NH31, NH34, NH60 and N32.

I guess safety of the roads is suspect in some parts of Bengal (Purulia, etc) and Jharkand?
Old 18th June 2013, 16:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
That was a fabulous 750-km run today, Rahul - not easy even on superfast 4-laned roads, but you have done it in the narrow roads of NH31, NH34, NH60 and N32.

I guess safety of the roads is suspect in some parts of Bengal (Purulia, etc) and Jharkand?
I am sorry for getting back on this old thread. I am putting together this trip for 2014, and from what I read the best route is - http://goo.gl/maps/B1x7O

Basically -
D3: Calcutta-Malda-Siliguri

Bagdogra - P'ling - Paro - Thimpu - P'ling - Bagdogra (7 days)

I had a few queries :
1. Any issues with doing this in a sedan. I have a Rapid and don't know for sure wht to expect from the roads. I can do long stretches but sure if the Rapid can handle sludge and stream's (like in Leh)

2. Any stretches in the above which should not be covered after sundown.
Old 18th June 2013, 21:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
I am sorry for getting back on this old thread. I am putting together this trip for 2014, and from what I read the best route is - http://goo.gl/maps/B1x7O
Long way to go. Road conditions & routes change by the minute in India. While this route is currently an optimal route, nowadays, the Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vizag route is also becoming faster than the Central India route.

Quote:
Basically -
The Sambalpur-Calcutta route via Keonjhar is terrible, so we prefer the Angul-Choudhwar (Cuttack) to Calcutta.
Currently, we prefer the Calcutta-Dumka-Bhagalpur-Siliguri route instead of via Malda.

[quote]Bagdogra - P'ling - Paro - Thimpu - P'ling - Bagdogra (7 days)

That is fine.

Quote:
I had a few queries :
1. Any issues with doing this in a sedan. I have a Rapid and don't know for sure wht to expect from the roads. I can do long stretches but sure if the Rapid can handle sludge and stream's (like in Leh)
Rapid is not a popular car in those parts, hence do not expect any service support. Road conditions are such that they are doable by any car.

Quote:
2. Any stretches in the above which should not be covered after sundown.
If you go via Keonjhar, avoid Sambalpur-Kharagpur after sun down.
Avoid Siliguri-Birpara-Phuntsoling after dark since there are wildlife crossings.
Old 19th June 2013, 11:00   #25
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest not to cross Jharkhand after sun-set. The situation nowadays dictate such.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Basically -
As HVK has already said 2014 is still a long way to go.
Several roads on this route will change drastically with the onset of the monsoon. So hold on and discuss about the road condition later.

BTW if you need any help about stay options at Bhilai or any other information please give me a PM.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Long way to go. Road conditions & routes change by the minute in India. While this route is currently an optimal route, nowadays, the Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vizag route is also becoming faster than the Central India route.

The Sambalpur-Calcutta route via Keonjhar is terrible, so we prefer the Angul-Choudhwar (Cuttack) to Calcutta.
Currently, we prefer the Calcutta-Dumka-Bhagalpur-Siliguri route instead of via Malda.
Road conditions are such that they are doable by any car.
I agree there's long way to go and that the actual road status will drastically change, I am right now just looking to plot the best route, so that I can start planning the rest. Things like number of days and approximate night halts enroute to Bagdogra et al.

But also why goto KOL at at all ?

Pune - Bhillai or Raipur
Raipur - Durgapur
Durgapur - Bagdogra/Jalpaugudi or Jaigaon

In that case the last leg is not alot, and the only time we are crossing or touching bihar border it will be early evening i.e when going from Durgapur to Bagdogra.

Also Sambalpur-Angul-Cuttack-Calcutta would end up adding a day --

Pune - Bhillai or Raipur
Raipur - Cuttack
Cuttack - Durgapur

And if we are starting from Durgapur, then "Dumka-Bhagalpur-Siliguri " should also be ok, because I will then cross that during the day.

Last edited by santoshr : 20th June 2013 at 17:23.
Old 20th June 2013, 22:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
And if we are starting from Durgapur, then "Dumka-Bhagalpur-Siliguri " should also be ok, because I will then cross that during the day.
No problem. I took the Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnia route less than a month ago, while going and coming back from my visit to Gangtok and Darjeeling. As it took me almost thirteen hours to reach Siliguri from Calcutta, I guess it will take you less than ten hours (with more than adequate stops).
Old 21st June 2013, 10:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree there's long way to go and that the actual road status will drastically change, I am right now just looking to plot the best route, so that I can start planning the rest. Things like number of days and approximate night halts enroute to Bagdogra et al.

But also why goto KOL at at all ?
Ans. : Because Bhilai/Raipur-Sambalpur-Kolkata-Durgapur provides the best roads in this streach.

Pune - Bhillai or Raipur
Raipur - Durgapur

In that case the last leg is not alot, and the only time we are crossing or touching bihar border it will be early evening i.e when going from Durgapur to Bagdogra.

Also Sambalpur-Angul-Cuttack-Calcutta would end up adding a day --
Ans. : The Sambalpur-Keonjhar-Kharagpur route is in bad condition, so the diversion through Angul-Cuttack is recommended. I've done Bhilai-Kolkata-Durgapur on a day via the Angul-Cuttack route. Bhilai/Raipur to Kolkata can be easily done in a day. Again Kolkata-Siliguri via the Dumka route can be easily done in a single day.

Pune - Bhillai or Raipur
Raipur - Cuttack
Cuttack - Durgapur

The replies to your specific querries have been given in bold, hope it helps.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 11:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Basically -
Well, let me give an alternate route, based on my scanning of the maps and a little bit of other research.

Day1: Pune-Nasik-Indore-Dewas-Bhopal
Day2: Bhopal-Sagar-Jhansi-Sikandara-Kanpur-Lucknow
Day3: Lucknow-Gorakhpur-Muzzafarpur-Darbhanga-Purnea-Dalkola-Siliguri.

This will not only be shorter in distance than Pune-Nagpur-Kolkata-Siliguri route, but will also bring you the comfort of good 4-lane roads for a large section of the journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks