Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 13:01   #1
BHPian

Kannur - Mangalore - Goa by road

We are planning to a road trip later this month from Kannur,Kerala via Mangalore to Goa (NH17). Has anybody been on this stretch recently? The local newspapers report that the bad stretch near Kasargod, Kerala is being patched up. I am wondering what the road situation is Mangalore and up north uptil Panaji. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated !
Old 11th December 2010, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kannur - Mangalore - Goa by road

I had been to goa during Nov 15-20th. I used Honnavar-Madgaon stretch of NH17. The road conditions are as below.

Madgaon - Canacona - Sadashivghad - Karwar - Ankola - Gokarna Cross (Madangeri) : Wonderful roads

Gokarna Cross - Hiregutti - Mirjan : Full of pot holes. We hit one surprise pot hole at 100 KMPH during onward journey at 8:30 PM which resulted in slight bending of the rim edge of the front left wheel causing it to loose airpressure by next day morning.

Mirjan - Kumta - Honnavar : Very good roads

I also understand from other threads that the conditions for rest of the stretches are as below.
Please note i have not driven on this stretch since May 2010.

Honnavar - Murudeshwar - Bhatkal : Decent roads
Bhatkal - Byndoor : Terrible roads
Bydoor - Kundapur - Udupi : decent roads.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 11th December 2010 at 22:58.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:48   #3
BHPian

Just the thread I would like. I was mulling over whether to drive down or take the train to Kannur for Christmas!

Udupi-Mangalore is decent road now(went on it about 2 weeks back).
I heard upto Kundapur or even Byndoor is good. The road at Bhatkal is supposed to be a horror.
Any idea how is the Mangalore-Kannur stretch? particularly Mangalore-Kasargod.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:52   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the info. Knowing the details I guess I will do the Kannur-Panaji in two stages stopping over at Murudeshwar. Deep blue, I read in a local malayalam daily few days ago that they were fixing the broken Kasargod sections.
Old 16th April 2011, 16:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster View Post
We are planning to a road trip later this month from Kannur,Kerala via Mangalore to Goa (NH17). Has anybody been on this stretch recently? The local newspapers report that the bad stretch near Kasargod, Kerala is being patched up. I am wondering what the road situation is Mangalore and up north uptil Panaji. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated !
@Vickster : Interested to know if you did the trip and what the road conditions were like. I am planning a trip from Pune to Ernakulam via Goa (With a Goa halt of 3 days). I am keen to know the road conditions from Goa to Mangalore and mangalore to Kerala.
Old 17th April 2011, 22:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

I did Palakkad-Mumbai last month via the route Palakkad-Perinthalmana-Kozhikode-Kannur-Mangalore-Karwar-(back to Ankola)-NH63-Hubli-NH4-Belgaum-Pune-Mumbai.

Palakkad-Mangalore NH17 is very densely populated and one can do only very slow speeds and roads are pretty bad around Nileshwaram & Kasargod.

Mangalore to Kundapur 4laning in progress so its a real mess.Would take you around 3-3.5hrs to cover this stretch.

Kundapur to Karwar is excellent.90kph doable.We stayed at Lotus Resorts in Karwar for the night,its a Vithal Kamat property.

From Karwar till Hubli again NH63 is excellent.Hubli bypass on NH4 is messy with loads of truck traffic.Kolhapur to Pune is again very densely populated with traffic.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:34   #7
BHPian

Can anyone tell me about the latest road condition from Kannur to Goa as I am planning to go to Goa in May??
Thanks in advance
Reji
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:30   #8
BHPian

I can tell about the stretch from Mangalore to Kundapur. Right now 4-laning work is going on in full swing, so there are good stretches for the most part except where the work is going on. Also there are several diversions from the old road to the new and vice versa so be on the lookout for the same!!
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 18:08   #9

Hi,

I am planning to do Karwar to Kannur later this month. I would be thankful if someone can give an update.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
Hi,

I am planning to do Karwar to Kannur later this month. I would be thankful if someone can give an update.
Mangalore-Kannur roads are bad and heavy traffic.Honnavar-Kundapur again all bumpy and potholed.Karwar-Pumpwell budget for a 6-8 hour drive and Mangalore-Kannur budget for a 3-4hour drive.
Old 16th July 2013, 20:20   #11
BHPian

Can anyone please give the present condition of Kochi - Panjim NH-17? I drove from Kasaragod to Kochi via Trichur in April 2012 and the entire stretch was fine.
Old 7th January 2015, 00:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping this up again! I am planning to go to Goa from Kottayam. The options are

1. Kottayam - Bangalore - Belgaum - Goa
2. Kottayam - Kannur - Mangalore - Goa

I am keen on the Kannur - Mangalore route as that's just 825 kms than the 1400 odd kms via Bangalore.

Would love to know the road condition in for option 2 and the complete route guide too. I would be interested in the Baga beach side of Goa.
Old 7th January 2015, 13:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

1. Kottayam - Bangalore - Belgaum - Goa
Better roads for sure,and faster progress.Bangalore to Baga would not take you more than 12hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
2. Kottayam - Kannur - Mangalore - Goa

[I am keen on the Kannur - Mangalore route as that's just 825 kms than the 1400 odd kms via Bangalore.

Would love to know the road condition in for option 2 and the complete route guide too. I would be interested in the Baga beach side of Goa.
Thrissur-Kundapur took us close to 14hrs a couple of months back. (Thrissur-Kozhikode BP 3hrs,Kozhikode-Mangalore (7hrs).Very stressful till we reached Kundapur and eased a bit post Bhatkal.We did Thrissur-Karwar on Day 1 and on Day 2 the rest.The traffic till Pumpwell was a killer and as the day progresses it is just plain frustrating driving Kozhikode Mangalore.

Kundapur-Karwar another 3.5hrs

Karwar-Panjim : 2-2.5hrs

Panjim-Baga: 20-30mins

If going via Bangalore,you could easily do Kottayam-Bangalore and Bangalore-Baga via Dharwad-Khanapur-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-Baga.

https://goo.gl/maps/arXCu
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 16:13   #14
vdi
BHPian

Recently in September, it took 15 hrs for me from Madgaon to Cochin via Mangalore.
vdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 18:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not recommend taking NH 17 route due to following reasons -
- Though road surface is good, traffic is a pain in Thrissur - Kannur section.
- Road condition from KA border till Mangalore is bad.
- Again, heavy traffic once you enter Goa.

However if you are planning of NH 17, I guess it is best to start early morning (~3AM) or better still late night.

Bangalore - Baga takes around 11 hours including breaks. Cochin - Bangalore is around 9 hours.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed