Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 11:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Kodaikanal Route Map

Here is the google maps link to the route I just mentioned. I have tried this route twice in the last 2 months and some notes about the route.

Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

The google map directions is accurate mostly but at some points it is not. Here are some notes:
  • When you see sign boards of Attibele (also look for La Classic hotel on the left) be prepared to skip the fly-over. Right under the fly-over, take right and continue. About a KM from Attibele, you will hit a fork and keep left here. After 4 kilometers, you will see TVS factory on the left and continue. At the next two cross-roads, continue straight. If you see a boards saying Left to Hosur, don't bother.
  • When you approach Palakode, you have the option of bye-passing the town. But if it's early morning or late night, it won't make a difference. When you are about to exit the town, you will see a petrol pump on the left and in the front a road, which will bear signs for Pennagaram & Hogenakkal. Halfway (after paparapatti), you will see a sign saying right for Pennagaram. But this road is a small village road. The road straight is wider and better.
  • When you hit the Dharmapuri-Hogenakkal road. Take a right here. After 18 KM or so, you will see signs and directions for Mecheri/Mettur. Just follow them. Essentially, you will take a left before entering Pennagaram.
  • The road to Mecheri passes through several hillocks. Mostly winding road, but not difficult.
  • The google maps directions is not accurate at Mecheri. When you approach Mecheri, you just take a right and continue on the road to Mettur. As you enter Mettur, look for signs for Bhavani, Coimbatore etc. You will take a left and thus bye-pass the Mettur dam.
  • The road from Mettur to Bhavani is patchy. Though no potholes, it's the only not-so-good section of the route.
  • Right after Bhavani, you will merge with the NH7, continue on NH7 for another 20 KM or so till you see sign boards for Perundurai.
  • The roads from Perundurai to Palani is nice with very less traffic. However, at times esp. 5PM-6 PM there will be some two wheeler traffic on the road. Often you can see the road as far as your eyes can see, meaning the road is so straight and of course, super-smooth too.
  • Don't be surprised when you are asked for 20 rs as entry fee at Palani, even though you don't intend to spend any time there. You have the option of taking the bye-pass. But I guess it's too far to save the 20 rs.
  • The Palani-Kodai road doesn't have any pot holes, but gets narrow at places. Good news is there is very less traffic comparing with the Batlagundu route. Just make sure you sound horn wherever necessary and keep it at a reasonable speed and you will be alright. The view can often be breathtaking and distracting. But make sure you pull over if you want to enjoy any of that
Old 8th August 2011, 13:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Here is a panorama shot which I took on my way up last Friday.
Nice panorama stitch. Awesome!
+1 for the scenic beauty.

@prakash_ajp: Maybe one can quickly get to Salem from Bangalore and then go towards Coimbatore on NH47. After Bhavani, proceed towards Perundurai and rest of the route as shown in your map ie. kangeyam, etc.

In May I had done the usual Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Munnar, which intersects with the Kodai Ghat road. I must try this scenic one next time. Inspired.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Nice panorama stitch. Awesome!
+1 for the scenic beauty.

@prakash_ajp: Maybe one can quickly get to Salem from Bangalore and then go towards Coimbatore on NH47. After Bhavani, proceed towards Perundurai and rest of the route as shown in your map ie. kangeyam, etc.

In May I had done the usual Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Munnar, which intersects with the Kodai Ghat road. I must try this scenic one next time. Inspired.
Yes, totally. If one is not keen on avoiding toll and/or prefers 4 lane drive, the NH7/NH47 till Perundurai is the best option. But I hate having to pay toll for using the road despite paying the government in so many other ways such. In May I took the Salem-Dindigul route, which is about 30 kms longer, but totally stress-free till Dindigul, esp. the Salem Dindigul road is fantastic.

Most Viewed