Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 12:09   #1
BHPian

Pune - Vadodara Query ( About Bharuch )

Dear Team,

I will be doing Pune - Vadodara drive on coming Friday. (17th Dec 2010). As per the current plan, I would cross Bharuch @ around 4 p.m. Based on the advise of HVK and others in various thread; I am planning to take de-tour to bypass the Narmada Bridge. This will make me drive thru Bharuch town. Now here is my question:
Since 17th happens to be Mohoram Day, is this all right to do? I mean would roads inside city be diverted/shut down due to the processions etc?
Please Guide.

Pranav
Old 14th December 2010, 12:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Pune - Vadodara Query ( About Bharuch )

>>>

If there is a Karbala in Bharuch town ( I expect one in Bharuch, as it is an old trading centre, known in British times as Broach), there will be processions and taziyas.

Best to avoid travelling through traditional routes of such processions.

Regards, drive safe
Old 14th December 2010, 13:10   #3
BHPian

No recent experience, but it would not be an issue. It may take little more time to cross Bharuch but no issues otherwise.
Send me some "khari shing" from bharuch, I am missing it.
Old 14th December 2010, 13:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are in luck, there may be no jam on NH8 bridge.
Old 14th December 2010, 14:22   #5
BHPian

Thanks issigonis,pradipk,hvkumar!
I wont proably venture into city unless I see a huge traffic jam on NH 8.

Couple more questions - how bad is the Fountain Hotel- Manor - Vapi road now? I heard that it is not in good condition. Any recent updates?

Any recommended eatery between Vapi and Surat where I can take lunch? I know there are many but if you have any good experience; my risk is reduced !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
No recent experience, but it would not be an issue. It may take little more time to cross Bharuch but no issues otherwise.
Send me some "khari shing" from bharuch, I am missing it.
Pradip, I will 'attach' it into the PM and send to you! I too am fond of the same. Whenever I cross Bharuch - thru car, bus or train, 'khari sing' is a sureshot affair!
Old 14th December 2010, 14:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Road condition on Ghodbunder-Manor-Vapi is good.
There is a good eatery at Udwada. Forgot the name - check out Chevy Lover's thread on his trip to Udaipur.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:47   #7
J.Ravi

I did not face any traffic jam when I drove on the Narmada river bridge during the up and down journeys on NH 8 in the afternoons of 20 Nov 2010 [Saturday] and 1 Dec 2010 [Wednesday]. On both the occasions, the traffic was moving smoothly, albeit with reduced speed.

Old 15th December 2010, 08:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you are in luck, there may be no jam on NH8 bridge.
Sir, Is this jam on the Narmada river bridge on the new NH8 highway just after Ankleshwar in Maktampur (as on Google map) ?

If so, do we try to avoid this jam via the old NH8 (starting at Ankleshwar) which crosses the Narmada via "Golden Bridge". ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Couple more questions - how bad is the Fountain Hotel- Manor - Vapi road now? I heard that it is not in good condition. Any recent updates?
There is now another hotel adjacent to Hotel Fountain at Ghodbunder. It is called Express Inn. I stayed there for a night @ 2 weeks ago. It is clean and passable.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yes, kingshukt, that is the same jam I am talking about.
Did you like Express Inn? Isn't it a lot more expensive than Hotel Fountain? Do you have tariff and contact details of Express Inn?
Old 15th December 2010, 10:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, kingshukt, that is the same jam I am talking about.
Did you like Express Inn? Isn't it a lot more expensive than Hotel Fountain? Do you have tariff and contact details of Express Inn?
How expensive is Fountain? Do you know what is the tarrif for it?
Old 15th December 2010, 10:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How expensive is Fountain? Do you know what is the tarrif for it?
Non-AC double room for around Rs 1000, AC for around Rs 500 more.
Old 15th December 2010, 11:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Non-AC double room for around Rs 1000, AC for around Rs 500 more.
Hmm sounds quite reasonable. This hotel is very stretegically located. Since I will be taking this trip in my Tata Nano; one thought that I have is to start by afternoon from Pune - reach Fountain Hotel - take night break and then start early in the morning for Vadodara. 'Nano Fires' have resulted in such huge negative marketing that there is immense pressure from family - friends - neighbours - and almost everyone who comes to know about my plan - to not do it!
May be Pune to Vadodara with one break@Fountain can cool them down. I now realize what has gone wrong with Nano...People just are not willing to listen to you when you tell them that Nano CAN BE driven on highways as well - we need to just be aware of the limitations or the car and respect it while driving on highway! But uff...no one wants to listen such things!
Old 15th December 2010, 11:28   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm sounds quite reasonable. This hotel is very stretegically located. Since I will be taking this trip in my Tata Nano; one thought that I have is to start by afternoon from Pune - reach Fountain Hotel - take night break and then start early in the morning for Vadodara. 'Nano Fires' have resulted in such huge negative marketing that there is immense pressure from family - friends - neighbours - and almost everyone who comes to know about my plan - to not do it!
May be Pune to Vadodara with one break@Fountain can cool them down. I now realize what has gone wrong with Nano...People just are not willing to listen to you when you tell them that Nano CAN BE driven on highways as well - we need to just be aware of the limitations or the car and respect it while driving on highway! But uff...no one wants to listen such things!
Yeti and Normally crazy drove a Nano all the way to Delhi from Mumbai. Also tell your family that no one got hurt in any of the nano fire incident. People sometimes write off things just because one or two had a bad end, without even knowing the root cause. A couple of ducks from Tendulkar, the crowd will want him to retire!
I'd love to catch your log of how the Nano did from Pune to Baroda. Only thing is that you will have to stop more often to tank up.
Old 15th December 2010, 12:06   #14
BHPian

>>>

In the matter of Nano's electricals (fires), I think (I am not sure) that they have made modifications to ensure no overcurrent happens.

Yes, respecting a car's capabilities is the right way, after all a car is designed and built based on certain driving criteria and one should operate the car within that framework. A Nano should not be expected to perform like a Swift Dzire, anymore than a Dzire be expected to perform like a Corolla!

I read somewhere that a Nano will be driven to Ladakh. So drivability or even ruggedness might not be a big issue.

Have a pleasant drive to Baroda. I will be interested in hearing about how the Nano did in your trip.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 15th December 2010 at 12:07. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 15th December 2010, 12:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Yeti and Normally crazy drove a Nano all the way to Delhi from Mumbai.
Yes MX6, I am aware about it. I was keenly following Yeti and NC's log when they were undertaking this drive.

Quote:
I'd love to catch your log of how the Nano did from Pune to Baroda.
Sure! I will certainly put up a log once I am done with the visit.

Quote:
Only thing is that you will have to stop more often to tank up.
True, there are few more things that I am going to do for additional ( though not necessarily required ) precautions:

1. Drive always at reasonable speed. Never go beyond 80 KMPH for long time.
2. Break after every 2 hours of continuous drive. ( Tentatively )
3. 2 BIG Breaks enroute.

As per my original plan, I was planning to :
  1. Start from Pune Friday Morning @ 3.45 - 4.00 a.m.
  2. 'Kadak Chai' stop ( 10 mins ) @ food court near to second toll plaza on express way.
  3. Breakfast stop @ Fountain hotel. This way, I would be able to reach NH 8 before Mumbai traffic really kicks in. ( 40 - 60 mins )
  4. Break @ VAPI .
  5. Lunch Break somewhere between Vapi and Surat ( 40 - 60 mins)
  6. Break @Bharuch
  7. Reach Vadodara
However, if the 'domestic' pressure becomes unmanageable; I will have to take Plan B where I will:
  1. Start from Pune on Thursday afternoon. ( 2.30 p.m. )
  2. 'Kadak Chai' and snacks stop ( 30 mins ) @ food court near to second toll plaza on express way.
  3. Quick Bio Break @Thane ( 10 mins )
  4. Reach Fountain Hotel. Have dinner - check in. Stay the whole night.
  5. Start early morning @4.45 - 5.00 a.m. from Fountain Hotel.
  6. Breakfast break @ Vapi ( 40 - 60 mins )
  7. Break @ Surat ( 10 mins )
  8. Lunch Break near Ankleshwar/Bharuch (40- 60 mins )
  9. Reach Vadodara
Btw...I have received some very interesting suggestions from my 'well wishers'. One suggestion given is to drive WITHOUT locking the door! You know the obvious reason for this suggestion right?

Last edited by pranav_mankad : 15th December 2010 at 12:23. Reason: Spelling correction - minor changes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks