Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2014, 18:36   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Sirsi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Would be doing a Bangalore - Sirsi run this month end. Planning to take my new I20 on this one. Would like to know on how is the road condition from Haveri to Sirsi. Last time i went there, a year ago, road was in shambles. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Seeing you after a long time!

See this thread and also post by Condor. Haveri-Sirsi is in tatters.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...shimoga-8.html

I think he did :
Sirsi-Banavasi-Sorab-Hirekerur-Ranebennur

And that was much better.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 20:16   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Would be doing a Bangalore - Sirsi run this month end. Planning to take my new I20 on this one. Would like to know on how is the road condition from Haveri to Sirsi. Last time i went there, a year ago, road was in shambles. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Haveri to Sirsi is about 75 kms. Haveri to Hanagal cross is about 28 kms and has always been iffy. The road keeps alternating between just about Ok to bad to very bad. The authorities fill up the potholes with tar every now and then which improves matters. But once this patchwork wears off things are bad again. As it stands now, a good quality double road construction is under progress. Some part of it, probably about 8 to 10 kms, is completed. This 8 to 10 kms is butter smooth which you can cover in 5 mins. The remaining 20 odd kms could well take upto 45mins. Its pretty bad after rains. This new road may take another 6 months for completion. Once that is done, this will be THE route to Sirsi from Bangalore.

Hangal cross to Sirsi is about 45 kms and is a blissful drive. This section has very good roads and it even withstands the rains as traffic is very sparse and there are fewer villages in between.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 15th August 2014 at 20:18.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 22:16   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Seeing you after a long time!

See this thread and also post by Condor. Haveri-Sirsi is in tatters.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...shimoga-8.html

I think he did :
Sirsi-Banavasi-Sorab-Hirekerur-Ranebennur

And that was much better.
Thanks @Ampere. Yeah its been a while! I remember we exchanged some good information in the past and you are at the rescue again! Well from what i understand BLR - SHIMOGA - SAGAR - SIDDAPUR - SIRSI looks like the route to be taken at this moment in time. I do understand that NH4 till Haveri is super fast and i have done this route many times in the past. But my experiences in the past well with Haveri - Sirsi hasnt been go great. I would be taking my new I20(Not the latest launch, Elite!) on its maiden long trip. Do not want to test bad roads
Old 10th September 2014, 00:29   #64

I just did Bangalore - Haveri - Adur - Alur - Hangal Cross - Sirsi on Aug 31.

The road from Haveri thru Adur, Alur up until Hangal Cross is terrible. Wish I'd seen this thread earlier (!) The rest of it from Hangal Cross to Sirsi is excellent.

I suppose one could take NH4 all the way up to Bankapur and turn back via Hangal to Sirsi instead? (an extra 10-12 kms)
Old 10th September 2014, 09:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsuchacarnut View Post

I suppose one could take NH4 all the way up to Bankapur and turn back via Hangal to Sirsi instead? (an extra 10-12 kms)
It is also possible to go via Bankapur-Mundgod-Sirsi
Old 13th October 2014, 14:16   #66
BHPian

I’m going to Sirsi this weekend via NH4.
Does anyone have the latest information on Haveri to Sirsi stretch?

Bangalore to Sirsi : Route Queries-sirsi.jpg
Old 15th October 2014, 10:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvvishwa View Post

Attachment 1298330
Haveri to Hangal is bit rough, with some work in progress and over all you can drive at around 40 KMPH average.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvvishwa View Post

Attachment 1298330
You are in luck, I will be able to provide you with the very latest info as I returned from Sirsi to Bangalore just yesterday

I took the Sirsi - Haveri - Bangalore route. Here's what I found

Sirsi to Ekambi : 16 kms. This used to be a good stretch, but post rains you will find broken and eroded sections which will slow you down. Avg speed 40 kph

Ekkambi to Hanagal : 27 kms. Good roads, nice curves, a few small speed breakers. Avg speed 60 kph

Hanagal to Haveri : 30 kms of hell . Double road work began a few months ago and they have completed about 8 kms. THis is the only saving grace of this stretch. The rest is full of potholes, stones, pebbles, mud and what not. To be honest its not motorable by anything other than buses and tractors. I took this road as this is the shortest route to BLR. Since I was travelling with my 2 1/2 yr old I did not want to take the BH road as she tends to sleep well on the four laned NH4. My Avg speed on this section was less than 25 kph.

It took nearly 2 hrs from Sirsi to Haveri. I repented taking this route as I ran a very real risk of puncturing / damaging more than one tyre of my Laura shod with 50 profile expensive and rare Michelins. On top of this my car runs on aftermarket Bilstein shocks. I literally crawled in 1st and 2nd gears in this stretch. I can't believe my tyres made it through this stretch without getting punctured.

Haveri to BLR : 325 kms. Smooth NH4 , less traffic in toll booths being a weekday. All the trouble of the early part of the journey was forgotten in this part. My 2 1/2 year old slept like a baby in her car seat. Avg speed 90 kph.

Total time take 6 hrs, with a lunch break at Ranebennur.

PS : Interceptor vehicles were stationed on the highway around Davangere. Not one, but two about 5 kms apart. Both were on the BLR to PUNE side on the highway.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 16th October 2014 at 13:43.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 18:32   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
It took nearly 2 hrs from Sirsi to Haveri. I repented taking this route as I ran a very real risk of puncturing / damaging more than one tyre of my Laura shod with 50 profile expensive and rare Michelins. On top of this my car runs on aftermarket Bilstein shocks. I literally crawled in 1st and 2nd gears in this stretch. I can't believe my tyres made it through this stretch without getting punctured.
One possible work around would be via Banavasi/Sorab and joint the 4-lane just before Harihar.

Here is what I meant: Route Link

Check with @condor who once took this option.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3506071
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 08:59   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One possible work around would be via Banavasi/Sorab and joint the 4-lane just before Harihar.

Here is what I meant: Route Link

Check with @condor who once took this option.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3506071
Or we could also go upto Bankapur and then take the Bankapur Hanagal road. Hanagal to Sirsi is good. THis adds about 25 kms to journey, out of which about 20 kms is on NH 4 itself. 20 kms on NH 4 will not take more than 15 mins.

Bankapur route

Any idea how is the Bankapur Hanagal stretch?

I spoke to some locals who suggested to take Sirsi - Dasankoppa - Harihar route to join the highway. Apparently taxi drivers prefer this route to BLR these days due to the deteriorated state of Sirsi - Haveri road. But they told me that I'll have pass through many small towns and the road also is just about OK.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th October 2014 at 09:04.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:04   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Any idea how is the Bankapur Hanagal stretch?
I think even the route via Hangal is bad. But would be good to know about a recent update.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:01   #72
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'm Planning take the below route after discussing with family members and friends, also keeping in mind all the suggestions.

Bangalore - Harihar - Kod - Haunsbhavi - Tilvalli - Makarvalli - Dasankoppa - Sirsi
Bangalore to Sirsi : Route Queries-sirsi.jpg

I hope the above route is better compare to the Haveri - Sirsi road.
I will post the road condition after come bank to Bangalore.
Old 22nd October 2014, 21:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know the road condition between Bankapur and Sirsi via 'Pala'?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Be...!2d14.6195!3e0
Old 4th November 2014, 10:56   #74
BHPian

Visited Sirsi over the weekend. Took Shimoga Sagar route. Good roads all along. While i was in Siris, enquired with the locals of joining NH4 from Sirsi for my return journey to Bangalore. But roads are not in great condition and the news was not encouraging. I took the same return route as well and overall it took me 8 hrs door to door with 40 mins break
Old 15th December 2014, 09:31   #75
BHPian

I am working out on my vacation plan to travel to Sonda on 25th December and travel down to Puttur next day. Though I have gone to Sonda many times in bus but this is the first time I will be travelling in my car. Normal route taken by bus is via shimoga and siddapur. However Google says to take NH4 till Banakapur and take route via Hangal.
I will be travelling with my wife and planning to leave by 5. Since next day I have to cover many places, I would like to cover Yana first then travel to Sonda.

Experienced folks please suggest me on
* Which route do you suggest.
* Any decent breakfast joint available in both the stretch.
* Any speed limit or areas where possible interceptors are in place.
* Since I have to reach Sonda Vadiraja Mutt by evening 5, do you think I can cover Sahasralinga.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 15th December 2014 at 09:39.

Most Viewed