Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2019, 17:23   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Sirsi : Route Queries

Returned from a trip to Sirsi today. As Aniketh mentioned above, the road from Haveri to Sirsi is in excellent condition now. Potholes have been filled up with chip carpeting and the really bad sections have been completely redone. Zero worries for travelers for now.

I also happened to drive on various roads leading out of Sirsi for brief stretches (Sirsi - Kumta, Sirsi - Siddapura, Sirsi - Yellapura) and almost all the roads have been chip carpeted. I drove upto Sampkhanda on Sirsi - Kumta road from Sirsi side and the potholes were filled up. I don't know till where the work has progressed. Locals were not fully updated with the road status as the chip carpeting was done very recently.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 06:37   #122
BHPian

So I returned from Honnavar on the 27th of December. Chip tarring is in progress on the Kumta-Sirsi highway from the Sirsi side. They have done till Bandal. Kathgal to Devi Mane Ghat entrance is terrible. Devi Mane Ghat has held up well, Devi Mane Ghat to Bandal is ok, Bandal-Khurse-Aminhalli is average, Aminhalli-Sirsi is fine.

Regards,
Aniketh
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 18:52   #123
BHPian

Had a return trip to Sirsi from Bangalore last week and took the below route.

Bangalore -- Tumkur -- Chitradurga -- Haveri -- Sirsi
Sirsi -- Haveri -- Chitradurga -- Tumkur -- Bangalore.

The highway from Chitradurga all the way till Haveri does not exist at all. We will have to drive on the service roads but the tolls are collected fully.

Hope the construction work completes soon and we will be able to cruise on this highway with no issues.
Old 26th November 2020, 01:40   #124

Hey Bhpians, just discovered this thread. I happen to do a trip to Sirsi for work. Not sure which route to take. Has the work on NH48 completed. Gmaps still shows as closure.

My options are
- Via NH48 ie Bengaluru - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere - Sirsi

- Via Shivamogga.

Any recent travellers, please guide me.
Thank you
Old 26th November 2020, 06:22   #125
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punith View Post
My options are

- Via Shivamogga.
I haven't traveled to Sirsi in a long time but I think you can take Shimoga route to avoid the road widening work from Chitradurga. For the same reason you can also avoid going via Haveri/Hubli since the entire Chitradurga-Hubli section is being widened and it's a pain due to multiple diversions, unscientific speed breakers.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th November 2020 at 11:01. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 08:47   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My options are
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I haven't traveled to Sirsi in a long time but I think you can take Shimoga route to avoid the road widening work from Chitradurga. .
Had been to Sirsi in June. Davangere-Haveri-Sirsi is still do-able. The diversions between Chitradurga and Haveri are said to have been improved, (though most still there).

If taking this route, between Haveri and Sirsi pls dont expect a super-smooth road through out. But not a problem.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 08:49   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Bhpians, just discovered this thread. I happen to do a trip to Sirsi for work.

My options are

- Via Shivamogga.

Any recent travellers, please guide me.
Thank you
Onward to Sirsi can be done via the NH. The # of diversions are very less and most stretches are open already , albeit, without lane markings for now. I used this stretch just last weekend till Hubli.

Return - avoid the NH. Shivamogga route is much better and recommended.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 10:05   #128
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Why do you suggest these two different routes for onward and return ? Will be good to get your feedback based on your recent first hand experience

Last edited by NPV : 26th November 2020 at 10:15.
Old 26th November 2020, 10:48   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sirsi for work
If you're driving during daytime, NH48 via Haveri would still be your faster route but if its night time, then maybe Shimoga is a better option as the NH has a lot of WIP unmarked sections, based on feedback from a friend who did drive on the NH at night.
Old 26th November 2020, 11:39   #130

Quote:
I haven't traveled to Sirsi in a long time but I think you can take Shimoga route to avoid the road widening work from Chitradurga. For the same reason you can also avoid going via Haveri/Hubli since the entire Chitradurga-Hubli section is being widened and it's a pain due to multiple diversions, unscientific speed breakers.
Hey NPV, Thanks a lot. I was also thinking the same mainly because of the scenic routes via Shivamogga

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Had been to Sirsi in June. Davangere-Haveri-Sirsi is still do-able. The diversions between Chitradurga and Haveri are said to have been improved, (though most still there).

If taking this route, between Haveri and Sirsi pls dont expect a super-smooth road through out. But not a problem.
Hey Condor, Thanks a lot. haha, I think keeping that in mind would improve the overall experience for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Onward to Sirsi can be done via the NH. The # of diversions are very less and most stretches are open already , albeit, without lane markings for now. I used this stretch just last weekend till Hubli.

Hello jkrishnakj, Thanks for the help. I am leaning towards the NH now. Any reasons why we should avoid the same for return ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you're driving during daytime, NH48 via Haveri would still be your faster route but if its night time, then maybe Shimoga is a better option as the NH has a lot of WIP unmarked sections, based on feedback from a friend who did drive on the NH at night.
Hello procrj, thanks for the reply. Yes, even I am feeling the NH would be faster. As i am leaving Bengaluru at around 6-7am on saturday.

Thanks all for the reply. I think I'll stick with the NH for my first Sirsi trip. will surely update the current state of roads. I think I'll be taking the NH for onwards journey then. I have to stay there for at least 2 weeks. will decide the return after seeing all the responses.

Also, can anybody suggest stops in between with clean washrooms, food we will be taking from home.

Thanks again
Old 26th November 2020, 12:04   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you suggest these two different routes for onward and return ? Will be good to get your feedback based on your recent first hand experience
The sections towards Bangalore from Hubli side still has a lot of deviations NPV, far far higher in number than the other side. That’s the only reason.

There is work that is going on in full pace and lots of machinery and people are visible and hopefully the work should get done sooner.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:28   #132
Senior - BHPian

Yes, when you are traveling from Bangalore to Haveri, there are fewer deviations than the return trip. Some sections of the Haveri-Sirsi roads have badly broken roads. From Hanagal to Haveri the newly laid raod is excellent but marred by very high number of road humps (they come in different shape and size)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:48   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the reply. I think I'll stick with the NH for my first Sirsi trip. will surely update the current state of roads. I think I'll be taking the NH for onwards journey then.
A pic on the Sirsi - Haveri section. This goes thru some nice sections. (not Malnad scenic, but still nice).

Bangalore to Sirsi : Route Queries-img_20201126_124232.jpg

For Rest rooms - soon after Chitradurga, on the left is Mysore Cafe. Then before Davangere there is the Apoorva resort.

Like Guna said, the Hangal route has speed breakers, and can be a bit confusing as shared to me by my friend who is a native of Sirsi.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 01:19   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Yes, when you are traveling from Bangalore to Haveri, there are fewer deviations than the return trip. Some sections of the Haveri-Sirsi roads have badly broken roads. From Hanagal to Haveri the newly laid raod is excellent but marred by very high number of road humps (they come in different shape and size)
Hey Guna, Thanks a lot. I will keep in mind of the humps from sirsi to Hanagal. I think after that its only a matter of few more kms to sirsi, should be managable. As you said, I think I'll choose the Shivamogga route for return, but my only concern is, it might get late night for return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A pic on the Sirsi - Haveri section. This goes thru some nice sections. (not Malnad scenic, but still nice).

For Rest rooms - soon after Chitradurga, on the left is Mysore Cafe. Then before Davangere there is the Apoorva resort.

Like Guna said, the Hangal route has speed breakers, and can be a bit confusing as shared to me by my friend who is a native of Sirsi.
Hey condor, thanks a lot for the help. I think I'll stick with these 2 places for stops as I have no idea about any other stops.

And yes, the views are indeed scenic as you mentioned. Can't wait to drive through these roads
Old 27th November 2020, 10:12   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guna, Thanks a lot. I will keep in mind of the humps from sirsi to Hanagal. I think after that its only a matter of few more kms to sirsi, should be managable.:
Humps are actually between Hanagal (pls note you don't actually touch Hanagal, but drive very close) and Haveri. Bad stretch is between Hanagal and Sirsi.
Also watch out for couple of things:
Taking a diversion from NH4 to Haveri-Sirsi Road: Google map can be misleading and the service road you get in to is really bad.
Once you get in to this road, if you are not using Google map, you need to watch out for a diversion sign towards Sirsi as by default it takes you to Shimoga

Last edited by Guna : 27th November 2020 at 10:19.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks